Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Black Sabbath:/:inducted into the R & R hall of fame!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sum1reel
Msg: 1
Black Sabbath:/:inducted into the R & R hall of fame!Page 1 of 1    
while never reaching the glory of the rolling stones, led zepplin, B/S nevertheless left their mark on the heavy-metal genre.....their large body of works served to inspire numerous bands thru the years!..........the Ozz-man, although merely a shell of what he was, is surely regarded as an innovator in his domain!

to commemorate the induction.....i played an old favorite of mine that i've haven't heard in a while: 'Fairies wear Boots'
 toonsmith
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Black Sabbath:/:inducted into the R & R hall of fame!
Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:31 PM
Black Sabbath were popular from the word go.

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Masters of Reality
Vol 4

Classics that laid down the foundation for the next generation.

I can remember being spooked by the album cover for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
That was a nightmarish vision!

Things started to slide due to excesses....Sabotage, Technical E, and the last album Never Say Die......not so great, but listenable.

They sold a mountain of vinyl, but they were never favored by the critics. Great band that finally gets some credit where credit is due.

Toon
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:03:18 PM
agreed^^^

Ozzy is still my favourite metal singer.....not a great set of pipes, but a perfect voice nonetheless for metal.
 j_p_r_77
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:06:22 AM
I wish I had VH1 so I could've actually watch this happen. It's about time the media took notice of Black Sabbath. They have been a favorite band of mine since I first heard the boom boom boom drum intro to Iron Man. They inspired me to pick up the guitar and drive my parents nuts, and they will continue to do the same for many other people too, whether it's a direct influence or through other bands who were influenced by the Sab Four.

"Follow me now and you will not regret. Living the life you lived before we met"
 Murphy83
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:15:15 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/ozzy_osbourne_iron_maiden_are_f--king_trouble.html

i got quite a kick out of the last part of the article
 !somewhere
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:32:54 AM

the Ozz-man, although merely a shell of what he was, is surely regarded as an innovator in his domain!

the real musical inovator in the band was guitarist Tony Iommi, whose style of guitar playing inspired all music that is called "heavy metal" today
 sum1reel
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:12:36 PM
^..................i agree that Tony's role was quite important in forging the style of B/S, but Ozzy was the one who was at the helm..........look at what happened to B/S when ozzy left!.....on the other hand Ozzy became a major force with some classic cuts in his own right......and his solo career definitely show-cased his true rank and ability!
 toonsmith
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:35:34 PM
There is no doubt that Ozzy was a major part of what made Black Sabbath great. After they kicked Ozzy out, they did released two decent albums with Ronnie James Dio. There were some great tunes....just not the same as when Ozzy was part of the band.

I love the tracks Heaven and Hell and The Mob Rules.

But the band pretty much lost their way....too many drugs, too many revolving musicians until the very name Black Sabbath turned into a joke. Especially the last album when they teamed up with a rap artist? Ugh.

The real Black Sabbath will always be the four original members. Ozzy, Tony Geezer and Bill.

Toon

Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:39:43 PM
I enjoyed Ronnie james solo albums more than when he was with sabbath...one tune in particular, which for some reason is escaping my thoughts.....something with shadows or night..lol
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:01:08 PM
on a footnote..probably ronnies biggest claim to fame...was supposingly starting the devil horns hand gesture....or so ive been told anyways......
 toonsmith
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:07:17 PM
I think there is a documentary on the DVD of Adam Sandler's comedy "Little Nicky" that has an interview with Dio that talks about that!

Dio does have a great voice. Man on a Silver Mountain is a fave of mine.

Ozzy claimed he never listened to any of the post-ozzy era Black Sabbath recordings. I know Ozzy and the rest of Black Sabbath, reunited in the studio and tried to record a few things that fizzled out. Maybe someday they will try again if they feel they have anything new to say.

It would be interesting if Dio and Ozzy ever sang together on a track, but I think egos would prevent that!

Toon
 leafslady
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:09:42 PM
I heard somewhere that Ozzie was totally against this whole "hall of fame" induction thing before?
 toonsmith
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:13:55 PM
Not sure, but I think the inductees have to pay a large fee to attend the ceremonies. The Sex Pistols declined (in a great way) but the truth may lie in the fact they couldn't afford the fee! (I think it was something like $38,000?)

$38,000....that's petty change in jewelry for Ozzy!

Black Sabbath also had a light and heavy motif much like Zeppelin. Laguna Sunrise (Beautiful track) Changes, Planet Caravan, Fluff.....

Bill Ward (the drummer) even sang a popular ballad that hit the top of the charts. 'It's Alright".

Toon
 gorgon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:38:08 AM
Black Sabbath Rules!
 Full Moon Rising
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/16/2006 4:52:25 PM
Ward, Iommi, and Geezer were all excellent musicians and laid down it down heavy. Watch some of the old live stuff. Dio never did his best work with Sabbath. Sabbath was past their best long before he came along. A great concert was Ozzy's first tour with randy rhoads here at kerrisdale arena after gettin the boot from Sabbath. A tiny arena with ozzy and rhoads 2 feet in front of you, that was a helluva show
 tallman5150
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/16/2006 5:56:16 PM
I also heard that Ozzy was against the Hall Of Fame. At first he was saying, "Black Sabbath is a band for the people, not the suits" or something like that.
Recently I've heard he was just upset they didn't hadn't been inducted yet, but now they're in so all is right in Ozzy's world again.
And Iron Maiden isn't in the Hall, so you know Sharon is happy
full moon, that would've been incredible seeing Randy and Ozzy back in the day! Randy was one of a kind, he should have his own wing in the Hall.
 Full Moon Rising
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/16/2006 6:27:11 PM
Yeh, that was a great show for such a small venue. One of the shows you dont forget, no matter how hammered i was
 Thatguy67
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2008 8:11:18 PM
Black Sabbath was overlooked for years. They could have been inducted as early as about 1995. Now Gene Simmons of KISS is publicly wondering aloud why his band isn't being considered for induction.

Raging Heart-on
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/21/2008 9:05:08 PM
Sabotage, Technical E, and the last album Never Say Die......not so great, but listenable.

Sabotage is one of their best IMO . Megalomania is one of their best songs, and I love Hole in the Sky, Symptom, and the Writ.

It's a shame that FM stations never play those tracks but the ol' standards again and again and ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

perdurabo76
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/27/2011 1:26:55 PM
Black Sabbath were magnificent, the purveyors of doom, drone, pyschedelic and stoner metal.
 vnufall
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/4/2011 8:16:17 AM
if it wasn't for ozzie there wouldn't be heavey metal bands like metalica. some say led zeplin was a precurser to heavy metal...but i don't agree it was black sabbath...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Black Sabbath:/:inducted into the R & R hall of fame!