Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Would you date a guy without a car      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Heavenswhisper
Msg: 1
Would you date a guy without a carPage 1 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I am just curious about something. I have had debates over the years with people about this.
I have my driver's license but I have never driven a car. I checked to see about insurance rates and for a first time driver being insured (even though I am 51), it would cost me over $5,000 for insurance per year. Plus of course a car which averages around $10,000 even for a decent used one.
Well my friends tell me I will never find a woman or get a date because women don't want to be chauffeurs. It is hard to justify spending over $15,000 for a car and insurance just for a date.
Ladies, would you not date a guy who didn't have a car or drove? Just curious whether my chances will be slim to none of ever going on a date cause of this.
 Leeanne
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would you date a guy without a car
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:45:56 AM
No freakin' way - I am sick of being chief cook and bottle washer - if I go out on a date I'd at least like to be picked up and driven. Yup don't want to be a chauffeur!!!! I drive my kids enough!
Hey you may get a good date and find a significant other to drive around the rest of your life if you slurge on the car and insurance. Whatever JMHO!!
 Shaps
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:49:47 AM
My car is dead and in the shop, no women gives me the time of day -- well 2 did so far, but I'm a nice enough guy where until I do get it back on the road, I am not rushing to meet anyone as most of them live a distance where they would have to head this way to meet. Sad to say also most of those women that do want to meet don't drive, so I am up creek without a paddle.
SO many women put not having a car as a major flaw on someone.
 dud
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:52:03 AM
i would NEVER date a guy with no car. not that i care about the car
 songbird70ca
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:01:31 AM
I've dated men who don't have a car or licence - and not becuase of being naughty. I have no qualms about it. I guess it's a control thing. Least I know (I don't drink) that I will get home in one piece, I don't have to worry about them racing down the road at unspeakable speeds and when I say I'm ready to go - they have to follow, lol. See <----- controlling. lol

I have two precious boys at home and I want to make sure that I come home to them everytime and if you are trully liking the person you are dating a car shouldn't matter, should that be a status symbol? or should the quality of the person be it?
 Carmellas2
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:11:26 AM
No way would I date a guy without a car.........its bad enough I have to chaffeur kids around, I'm not about to chaffeur a man around too. I don't mind driving to his place or going to visit but its gotta be a 2 way street, he has to be willing to put some effort into visiting me and for the most part public transportation is not an option d/t where I live!
 sexyviper
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:21:52 AM
op ....$5000.00 a year is a lot for insurance I agree BUT ...if you would even consider paying that ,there could be a better simpler solution for you ...why not hire a Limo and driver for any date night you have ...I'm sure that you could cut a deal with any service in your area and how much would that impress the ladies ? just a thought
 GoodForTheSoul
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:24:29 AM
meh....i could have been dating a fishy awhile ago...the only reason i'm not is cause i dont own a car....and that was exactly the reason given...granted this person doesnt live in the same city as me so its more than understandable....now do i drive yes....i've been driving cars, trucks and motorcycles since i was 16....back about 7 years ago however is lost my job and fell on some rough times....one of the first things to go was the car which when you figure insurance, gas and up keep saved me a few grand a year....so i got use to not having one.....currently could i afford it ...sure...have I even toyed with the idea...of course....but see my friends let me borrow their cars when needed ...and if all else fails i can rent one (like i did this past weekend for the brampton party)....I live in the city and walk everywhere when possible otherwise public transit does the trick or a cab or a ride from a friend....so i dont NEED a car....sure it would be handy at times to just run out and hop in the car and speed off to Rotten Ronnies for a bite....but its not a nessecsity.....see for me its called having my priorities straight....knowing the difference between my wants and needs.....i dont need a car so why would i spend that few grand a year i'm saving currently on one when i can spend it on more important thing like my daughter or my friends....
 tazmet
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:32:17 AM
Nope...its not about the car..says quite a bit about the person...that would be like a man dating a woman with out an income...I doubt there would be any takers
 bicurious45
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:34:12 AM
I don't really care as a matter of fact I'm dating someone who doesn't drive now...he's a great guy so I don't care why base a realationship on a material thing? besides I love to drive so it doesn't bother me. lol.
 Stillalicious
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:40:10 AM
If not having a car were a temporary thing, sure I could date someone like that. If he chose not to have one or to not have a licence, absolutely not. I am the type of person who would feel guilty is my bf were taking the bus and I would end up driving him everywhere out of sheer guilt. It's nice to be driven by someone else once in a while as well.
 anthonytheindifferent
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:41:47 AM
Normally I just read forums and never bother to post, but some of the responses to this one really disgusted me (actually pissed me off, but I'm probably not allowed to say that). I think that a woman who wouldn't date a man because he didn't have a car is horribly shallow and/or materialistic! There are many reasons not to have a car whether they be financial, social/environmental, or in my case due to a disability (i'mlegally blind). Of course, if you are in a situation where you don't drive and the person you are dating does, you obviously shouldn't be taking advantage of them and using them as your personal chauffeur either. Anyway enough ranting, stick to your guns heavenswhisper, you shouldn't need a car to attract a decent woman.
 tazmet
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:48:14 AM
Hes not driving because of the money, not the same thing as 'not able'.
 twisted40
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:58:58 AM
No i would not date a guy without a car....I am no ones chauffeur!Apparently I do own MOM'S TAXI though, lmao
 anthonytheindifferent
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:00:11 AM
Not driving because of the money is still a perfectly valid reason not to drive.
 Carmellas2
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:02:35 AM
Taz just gotta tell you......getting a lot of topic here......but love your pic........my 14 yr old daughter dreams of owning a dog like that.......LOL
 Kitchna
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:05:38 AM
i don't drive (one and only fear in life and no i won't explain it to strangers) so i can't expect any i date i have to have to drive.
only fair.
 Stillalicious
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:16:31 AM
@ anthony: you will notice in my post that I said "if he chose" , big difference from what you are talking about.
 LordOfWar
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:26:04 AM
I do have a car (it's convenient to have one), but I would never date a woman who wouldn't date me if I didn't have a car.
 woodster37
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:26:59 AM
I have to respond to this one for sure!!! I have been a driver all my life, owned my own trucks and trucking comapny at one point. But now because of a stupid medical reason I have had my license taken away by the doc. Every girl, with the exception of 2 who know who they are LOL, have stopped all corospondence with me as soon as they heard this. My medical problem only affects my eye's but it is a flaw that the general populace wants nothing to do with. At the same time they want us to be honest and up front. Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Oh well, I am still here to talk about so it can't be all bad. LOLOL.
 engima
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:33:02 AM
not the 60s and 70s most women have thier own cars today bet they would
 Shaps
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:44:23 AM
Notice how all women are thinking they would have to drive the guy around ???
Now talk about ego. Ok, I can see where you might have to drive him to the bus stop or the airport or whatever, but these women think they are the answer to a car-less guys dreams.
GROW UP !!
Most guys wouldn't even think of asking their women to be a taxi cab. And thinking you would end up being one, is just an insult to us guys.
What about the womenh that don't drive, they are 10 times worse, especially single moms -- drive her to work, the kids to the babysitters, take her grocery shopping etc etc -- yeah I know not every women is like that but I have dated a few who made me wanna stick a BECK sign on my forehead.
Assuming anything makes you shallow
 Dark_Secrets
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:54:05 AM
I have dated many a men that did not have a car or their license and I will tell you that believe it or not this statement...

Most guys wouldn't even think of asking their women to be a taxi cab

Is pretty false.
Lets just think about it for a minute.
You want to go out to the movies, who is going to drive? You want to go to dinner who is going to drive? You want to see each other, do you take a cab and spend $20 every couple of days to go to her place or do you ask her to come over to see you since she has a vehicle.
Most men may not say "Drive me here, take me shopping" and whatnot, but the responsibilities of the one with the car in a relationship can be annoying and taxing. There is nothing more irritating than being the only one responsible for making sure that We (the couple) are able to see each other and do things together.
It may not be a big deal for the one without a car, but it can become a big deal to the one with the car.
 Kitchna
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:55:07 AM
generalizations using words like "all women" - not cool.
notice how when he flips the coin back to men though he uses the words "most guys"....uhhhhh i could be wrong, but we are talking personality type not gender!

in any relationship i've ever been in, i insist on NOT being driven to work! there ARE independant women out there you know. and the single mom call above - yick.
 kitkat45
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:57:23 AM
OK Shappy...You know I wuvs ya...but this post is just way too farkin unfeeling...I do not experience what you speak of...when I think about a fellow at my age not having a vehicle, a red flag goes up....I don't assume anything, but truly, a fellow my age with no vehicle? Shappy hun..guess what I am saying is that it works both ways here...and as a single Mom with my own vehicle which I work damned hard to pay for and am a taxi for my kids, it would be nice to be picked up for a date..
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Would you date a guy without a car