Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How to start a conversation with someone you have never met      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kinadien
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How to start a conversation with someone you have never metPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Ok I did a thread search and couldn't find anything so I have a question for everyone. How many times have you seen someone that you think looks good but just don't know what to say? That is my big problem. I see women all the time and never know how to start the conversation. So what are some good ways to start off a conversation?
 Felanie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How to start a conversation with someone you have never met
Posted: 5/1/2006 4:32:25 PM
You can start by saying "HELLO"
 kinadien
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2006 4:33:22 PM
But where do you go after that?
 Felanie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2006 4:35:04 PM
Ask questions.. where did you get your shoes?? is this your first time here? What do you like about this place? Can I buy you a drink? Would you like a cup of coffee? How about them bananas?/ Think they are too ripe?? What would you do in this situation?? Do you like beer or hard liquor?

if they don't answer you, or feign disinterest, move along!
 Amy_Smile
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/1/2006 4:53:24 PM
Asking questions is good, but If a guy asked me where i got my shoes he would get a funny look and i would hope he was joking! I say listen to a conversation she is having and comment on it, be observant, compliments are good, even if she sees ur nervous she will know ur r interested.
Good luck!
--Amy
 jeweelee
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2006 4:57:44 PM
If it is the dating sites I try to comment on what is in their profile, shows you are interested. However if you are talking about some one in person, just a simple" Hi, how's it going?"should get the conversation ging, comment on something in their cart, bag, about gas prices..
What ever, just get a conversation going. To me the usuall pick up lines and such either annoy me or embarrass me depending on the pick up line..
 kinadien
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2006 5:35:20 PM
good stuff. yeah pick up lines usually make me feel like an idiot and the girl will most probably walk away from me without saying anything. they worked in the eighties but today it seems you need more than just a witty line to make an impression.
 nipper922
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/2/2006 8:17:57 AM
A simple answer is ask thier opinion on something, WARNING some may not be able to stop talking :)
On line here follow thier post and reply to them, it's called stalking LOL
 Felanie
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 8:31:18 AM
Well... just tell them they don't need to buy any lottery tickets, because they have a million dollar smile.. LOLOL...
 Ruby Red
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/2/2006 8:31:35 AM
Oh Geez. I never have problems with that. If I see a guy I like the looks of I'm in there chattin up a storm. I'll find out if they are married, attached, and end up with a dinner date or something. Either they are interested or they are not. Most guys findit quite flattering to be approached and told you find them attractive.

My daughter just bought a new Kia. Since she can't drive stick I had to test drive it and leave the lot with it. (She is now driving it fine.) But my goodness that salesman was Cute! I ended up saying he needed to take me to dinner. But he was married...but did offer to go anyway. I declined. But if he wasn't married I woulda been so there. He was quite flattered and I told him to go home and tell his wife some-one tried to pick him up. Seems the good ones are always taken.
 nipper922
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/2/2006 9:51:48 AM
felanie that was lame, how about I save it and use it on you later.
 Catwm
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/2/2006 9:59:09 AM
Read the profiles of the potential girls that you are interested in. There is nothing worse than getting an email from a guy that asks questions about things you clearly outline in a profile.

Avoid those cliche' phrases. Be original. Be honest.
 Strider886
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 10:05:12 AM
It would be great if there were set rules for what to say and when, but there are none.

Theres a phrase called "breaking the ice" and its absolutely the most important thing to do when talking to a stranger.

I walked into a job interview once, got to the reception about 20 minutes early and was asked by the receptionist to sit and wait for the interviewer. Minutes later the receptionist was talking to a collegue who was asking if she had anything for a headache, she opens her desk draw and pulls out 2 large packs of "Anadin", her colleuge takes one, thanks her and walks away. I then said "is it really that bad?", she laughed and said "it has its days", she then asked if i wanted a cup of coffee, we talked for a while about random things until my interviewer finally arrived.

I didnt get the job, but i did get her phone number!

Generally if you can get a laugh out of someone without making a joke of yourself or of them, you can break the ice and make a pretty good first impression. The rest is then down to holding an intelligent conversation.
 mike919293949596
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/2/2006 10:42:08 AM
Just say hi . A little conversation is fine but don't stand there forever .( assuming you want these girls ) . tell her you have to get back to your friends and ask if you could get her number . Now while your talking to her it's very very very important to mind your Ps and Qs . ie, Looking at her eyes while she's talking (Don't stare through her like a laser though,thats just creepy), Letting her talk w/o interupting , scoping the room while this is going on is a nono(if you do she will notice) . What to say ? ask her if the food is good here . That really doesn't matter it's how your projecting yourself that does . She'll know in 20 seconds if she's going too pursue . However w/o Jedi keen senses lol ,you will not . Get in, talk ,get out . like a marine ( except replace killing people from far-off lands with talk lol) . Can i buy you a drink or do you just want the money lol . Good Luck Soldier
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 1:24:17 PM
A little story...

Shorty after I learned I was getting divorced, I had an appointment to get some new glasses. It was a nice day, and so I decided to go out and take a long walk at the same time.

When I got to Lenscrafters, I went in and choose my glasses and waited for them to be prepared for me. I knew I was soon going to be single again, and I was wondering how I would "get back in the saddle" , as it were.

There was this really attractive woman, alone, getting her glasses too. She ws trying some on, and I figured there was a good chance she was single - given that she had no man along with her, and no ring.

I was a little nervous, as it had been seventeen years since I had last been single.

I decided to act, just to start to move forward in my life.

We were both waiting for our glasses, and I simply leaned over and said " Do you feel like going for a coffee, since we have some time to wait ? "

( O.K. , It wasn't the most creative line...but it worked. )

We went for a coffee together near the store, and spent about a half hour talking with one another. I wasn't ready emotionally , at that point, for a relationship...or even dating. We had a great talk, and I just sat back and enjoyed being with an intelligent and attractive woman. I asked quite a few open questions, and even had her laughing (for the right reasons) a few times.

It did make me realize that things would work out for me, and that I would not be single for the rest of my life.

I wonder if she ever realized how important that short time together was to me ?

I hope she did, because it really was.
 jeweelee
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 5:49:45 PM
Well I just personally think now adays being more of "you" and personable is the catch. Otherwise who will they think is trying to ask them out...Jack Ripper(3's company) or Chandler Bing?<- and doesn't he end up with the girl anyway even if he is awkward and honest? Hm...yeah I'd pick that guy over Jack and his buddy... any day.
 southernlight
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2006 10:15:22 AM
Forget all the pick-up lines...Walk up and give a friendly smile and say Hi, Chances are if she see's you coming toward her like that she just might say Hi 1st...
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/3/2006 11:36:27 AM
How about, "Nice shoes, wanna fuk?"
Just kidding...
~Carrie
 badboy_86
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2006 12:06:26 PM
If you approach enough, you'll realize that it doesn't matter what you say. You can get your friends to give you a random question/sentence and be able to get an interesting conversation started. You just have to be comfortable with approaching them and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you have to be comfortable with yourself.

And if all else fails, chloroform works wonders.
 capegardengirl
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/3/2006 5:01:04 PM
I agree with those here saying to ask questions...Especially open ended questions that make her explain something to you...She then knows you are interested in her and gives you more time to check her out
 teed doyle
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/3/2006 6:05:04 PM
I have the same question but from the female perspective. The only advice i can give is be yourself, genuine and honest. women with any kudos dont fall for cliches or insinserity ( cant spell ) The fact your interested puts you above all the men that think thier not . Laughter and trust come before b...s..it. to be polite. If this is not appreciated the what a good test.
 robby8444
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/3/2006 10:33:18 PM
you want to get a pizza and have sex? what you don't like pizza?
 robby8444
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/3/2006 10:34:53 PM
or...

Do you know how much a polar bear weighs? No

I just thought you might have wanted to break the ice.
 kingrich
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2007 3:04:52 PM
This situation gets worst as you get older, Im sure, its probably more difficult once youve come out of a long term relationship, mine was 7 years, and its worst for men.

I keep hoping that women may came flooding towards me, the new world we live in, moden women, the only women that I seem to attract are the ones that have problems, the ones men wont, or dont go up to.

I've learnt from meeting my ex partner, that you need the confidence, get out with some freinds, possibly some women friends, it helps, im sure, gives you that boost, and as you would, if you went shoppping, or were a salesman keep advertising yourself, keep talking to as many woman as you can, keep asking questions, most people youll find you dont like after all, its all down too attraction, remeber the job interview you attended for your first job, you had to sell yourself, also remember that 30secound rule. Its bloody nervous but if you dont do it you'll never know and never get anywhere.

Good Luck Kinadien

I was once in your situation before i met my ex, and as happens now I get out and find that for a couple of months here and there Ive got 3 or 4 women around me at any time, but there not long term, at moment these only one girl in my life, chating to via this site but have not met, maybe shes the one, but who knows, be patient. Once again GOOD LUCK...........

Born To Raise Hell
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/21/2007 3:35:17 PM
this is gonna sounds crazy dude!!!!!!!!

just got up and say hey hows it going?!

you will either get blown off and you are in the same position you were in before you made the move.

but she also might say "im good how about you?" then vala.. a conversation starts
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How to start a conversation with someone you have never met