Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > women's phone numbers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Crossroad
Msg: 1
women's phone numbersPage 1 of 1    
Why do women give out their numbers and not answer or call back?
 steel_magnolia76
Msg: 2
view profile
History
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:13:18 PM
Not to be mean, but why do men give out *wrong* numbers?

I don't think you can answer my question any more than I can answer yours. It depends on the person. If I give you my number, I'll answer or call you back if I can't get to the phone.

I've had men either give *me* the wrong number, or give someone else my number. Of course, these were guys that I didn't know, and I'd get some giggling drunk woman (or women) on the phone in the middle of the night asking for so-and-so and then they would get REALLY angry when I'd have to tell them (sometimes they would call 2 or 3 times, just to make damn sure that they really had a wrong number) that they have the wrong number.
 k_macd11
Msg: 3
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:16:37 PM
Probably they gave you theuir numebr since they may of though it was the easiest way to get rid of you!! That's not my opinion though, that the opinion of my female friend that's reading over my shoulder! lol
 Crossroad
Msg: 4
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:21:14 PM
That happens to men too. I think it happened once to me. But I can go out and get a phone number, but when i call i have probably only turned it into a date 2 or 3 times in my life. Usually I have to know the person from somewhere i see more often than a bar or something. Just very frustrating. I just left a message about how I am respectful to women, and not a player. I thought of a great first date. I am very attracted to her, and it would be her loss not to call me back.

I hate being ignored more than being told something like "no you are ugly". So insignificant and usless feeling.
 Crossroad
Msg: 5
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:22:40 PM
no we bumped into each other later in the bar after dancing and had a good talk. Her body language seemed like she was genuinly interested.
 Vanilla~Spice
Msg: 6
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:55:54 PM
I give this number out.. .. to people that I just "bump into"

212-479-7990

~Ain't nothing but a chicken wing

PartnerInCrime72
Msg: 7
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:12:58 PM
Because it's simply hard for some people to say no face to face. Avoidance is the general tactic practiced by most people to handle situations that they are mentally, spiritually, or physically too impoverished to otherwise deal with in a more civilized fashion. They give you their phone number, and then avoid you. It's not ideal for either party. But it is less embarrassing/painful than refusing to give it to you straight.

Oh, or she was in a state of chemical and/or situational euphoria when she gave it to you, and then she came down.

ooooo.. msg saying you are respectful, etc.. Not a good move. Seriously. Check out the other posts on what the "good guy" (aka, needy guy) comes across as. We've all done it. Trying to tell them what we think they WANT to hear. Not good.
 sweetnsassy807
Msg: 8
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:19:56 PM
Why when you give the phone number, do you never hear from them, I dont get it, it doesnt make sense to me, they want to date you or go for a drink, you give them the number. and they never call, dont know what to tell you, good luck, I know mine has been bad as far as getting calls back!
 justinkredible
Msg: 9
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:33:56 PM
for obvious reasons..................they are either chicken shit, don't like you, or just plain mean
 jerryspringer
Msg: 10
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:50:51 PM
All of the above are called "head games". It seems they are played a lot
 Your Best Challenge!
Msg: 11
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 10:26:39 PM
YUP!
That is exactly it!
Funny thing is my best friend did the same thing this weekend.
 Your Best Challenge!
Msg: 12
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/9/2006 10:27:59 PM
Oh I would definately call you back
 cuteandreal
Msg: 13
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/10/2006 6:53:01 AM
Here are some possible explanations...

1. You left a message that was rude or just plain unsexy

2. Her circumstances changed from the time she met you to the time you called....ie got back together with boyfriend, was hung up on a guy...thought she could date other people...then realized she was really into him

3. Too immature to tell you the truth. A "player" is another word for immaturity.

4. After thinking about it for a few days she realized that she was just not into you.
 lacruz
Msg: 14
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/12/2006 5:01:54 PM
I really don't know why anyone woruld give a wrong #, or not returning a message left.
I feel awful when I tell a pal Ill call back and get sidetracked for pete's sake.

Question regarding giving of phone numbers and safety. I haven't been able to find a thread regarding this.
Some guys have passed them off to me in first email or IM. I need to know a tad more about them before I call, but...

If you receive one, (from men or women) and you make the call isn't it better to Block your number for the first call? Within that converstion it would be made clearer if you would indulge your own, or not, depending on how this conversation goes.

any thoughts? or should I start a new thread on this?
thanks
 quazmojoe
Msg: 15
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/16/2006 8:53:55 PM
yeah i dont get it either, why give out a real number.i asked this girl out and she said she had a BF. I said oh ok then i figuered i give it a shot, atleast i get an A for effort and chalked it up as a loss, and started walkin away, then she goes well lemme have your number then so i gave it to her and without me even asking she wrote hers down with her name on it and handed it to me. i figuered this is good. im mean what the fuhk i called twice left a message, figured she didnt get it so i called again. she picked up. i was like hey its joe from bla bla bla is it a good time to take with ya, she said can i call you back im at work. i said ok. never called back. i left another one saying i dont understand why u gave me your number for 1 i didnt ask for it and 2 when you said you had a boyfreind i woulda left it as that but no u sucked me in and i took the bait. now i feel like that guy calvin from that movie waiting. and for some reason i want to call her again to get her in person to talk to her and say u coulda just said no. plus she lives in mathuen mass where the flooding is so i wanna call and see if she is doing ok and everything, should i or should i leave a nasty message cuz i cant fathem why she would do it. reply back
 ginibin
Msg: 16
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/17/2006 2:55:25 AM
I always call back, even when I have to say the most awkward worst thing and say I'm sorry. It's funny how, I might cave to a hard sell, I might really like a guy but I just can't make it work, so in the phone calls he can talk me into further talking, but after I get off the phone, uh, now real life intrudes, this just isn't going to work. The hardest part for me is only getting contacted by men who are FAR AWAY. Then things got tangled and I realized I just don't have the time or inclination right now, and that's not fair to anyone.

I'm a practical person FIRST, and I've had to take a deep breath and call back and hurt someone's feelings as nicely as possible. It sucks. I suppose there are times when I don't call back as quickly as I should, there's something BIG going on in my life or I'm in Mexico or the darn phone lines are just down, again. Which means that when I *do* call back, there's extra apology, no excuses, just apology. ARRGH I donwanna, donmakemedoit, but I make myself, and then I finish the call with saying there won't be anymore calls. It's better to cut with a sharp knife than a dull one. Call back, but just once, say what needs to be said, but don't say it mean. Yuck.

Gini
 Kingston1982
Msg: 17
women's phone numbers
Posted: 5/17/2006 3:06:16 AM
A girl asked me for my number on Friday and hasn't called me. No big deal.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > women's phone numbers