Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How do you greet on First date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raspberries n cream
Msg: 1
How do you greet on First date?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Handshake too formal? Kiss on cheek too forward? Shoulder hug cross your boundaries? No physical touch at all too cold for you?

Stories and experiences mixed with token advice from the worldly wise (and weary!)
appreciated.
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 2
How do you greet on First date?
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:57:39 PM
A hug works for me. I think it's more personal than a kiss on the cheek.
 justinkredible
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/11/2006 1:03:38 PM
a look of amusement, as it crosses my face........"now i can really play" as I tell myself, watching as the one and only opens the car door for me...........oooppps wrong thread.

make up a hand shake..........you might get a smile.......do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight........

ummmmm a hug always works !!!
 who_the_fox
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/11/2006 1:08:06 PM
We are talking the BEGINNING of the first meeting, right? No physical contact. Hell, its not like I KNOW the person!
 *Tee*
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/11/2006 1:21:18 PM
I'm very affectionate, and almost always greet with a hug....by the time I've even gotten to a first date, I know I've spoken to him enough to feel comfortable with him. Besides, italians don't shake hands...
 who_the_fox
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/11/2006 1:54:47 PM
They are lucky I don't just run.
 Aurora73
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/11/2006 4:00:34 PM
I usually just greet them. I don't touch someone or they could freak or sue me or get the idea that I'm a perv. Respect their space, man! This is someone you've just met and you don't know if you're going to hit it off or not. Why even get close to them until you can tell how you feel about one another?

~Aurora
 luvnthatswirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:01:19 PM
I'm with ya 100%, *Tee*! I would obviously have to like the gentleman enough to meet him in person, so he gets a hug. I must say I have nicely surprised a few dates with a hug upon meeting. An affectionate person, I am...come from a big family of huggers.

A gentleman should offer his hand first, and if the lady wishes to hug him instead, she will.
 Printscharming
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:21:13 PM
Am I the only one or doesn't anyone look into your date's eyes, smile, take the lady's hand, kiss it gently, and say, "Hi, are we gonna get some tonight?"
 who_the_fox
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:23:42 PM
^^^ It is guys like you who make me wonder why I bother with online dating
 daisie
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/12/2006 3:47:13 AM
hugging and kissing when you first meet a person? Heck no! That's just plain gross. Why not hug and kiss the guy at your corner gas station? You probably know him better than some online date you just met.

I work in a public school with little kids all day, I get plenty of chances to acquire cooties, lice, mucous, skin ailments etc as these kids jump all around and give me hugs and sneezes every day. I don't don't need any new unknown sources of health threats. blah!
 7times
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/12/2006 4:41:44 AM
I've had to change me approach since getting tired of being slapped.. Seems the whole grabbing her chest, squeezing and going honk honk is out of style
 bluelunabridget
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/12/2006 5:01:05 AM
People back home (Mtl) tend to kiss upon greeting, once on each cheek (a la francaise). Doesn't matter if you are on a date, being introduced to someone's boyfriend, mother, child, etc. We are a very kissy bunch, and not too worried about "knowing" the person.

I have noticed that in this part of the world, things are very different. The hug thing seems to be big among many. What happens with me is that, I go for the kiss on the 2 cheeks, meanwhile, the other person is trying to hug me, result: I end up kissing their ear, or their neck.

This can get awkward, so I have taken to clarifying the matter before the first meeting. I ask the person what their preference is, so that I don't put them in a tight spot.

My own preference? A kiss on each cheek, thank you very much.
 *Tee*
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/12/2006 5:25:54 AM
awww, c'mon you guys!...whats wrong with a little love? You know, starting off a date with a hug is a great ice breaker, and like I said, before I even GET to a first date, I already love the personality

I've had to change me approach since getting tired of being slapped.. Seems the whole grabbing her chest, squeezing and going honk honk is out of style

7...you'd be a great one to hug..
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/12/2006 5:28:31 AM
In my culture we greet people by kissing on each cheek.
~Carrie B.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/12/2006 6:11:51 AM
before I even GET to a first date, I already love the personality

Wow...all I know about them before the first date is what lies and delusions they share in email and chat. Usually, they are nothing like they claimed and I have blown another hour out of my life.

edit: Exactly how long do you chat or whatever before you meet?????
 ][KAOS][
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/12/2006 6:13:55 AM

I'm very affectionate, and almost always greet with a hug....by the time I've even gotten to a first date, I know I've spoken to him enough to feel comfortable with him. Besides, italians don't shake hands...

Well said Tee, couldn't agree more.
 *Tee*
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/12/2006 7:34:33 AM

Exactly how long do you chat or whatever before you meet?????

We're talking about an actual first date here, not a meet. I usually chat anywhere from 2 weeks to a month, depending on the guy and maybe distance. A first meet can be in a week, but meets are usually much more casual, and quick...

I'm a very affectionate, approachable person, so maybe to somebody that might not be as affectionate, it seems strange. But these men are always met in a public place, and I always listen to my gut instinct. Usually if I don't feel right about somebody online, I won't be meeting them, but then.... maybe I'm just really perceptive to these things, who knows.....or maybe I go into things with a positive attitude and I think that makes a world of difference..
 who_the_fox
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/12/2006 8:08:07 AM
BIG difference between a first meet and a first DATE. I am generally confused by the usage of the term "date" to mean first meeting face to face. If I have MET someone and agreed to a DATE...then a quick hug or cheek kissing is fine.

I have a cautious attitude...been doing the online dating thing a long long time with little success. I must be somewhat optomistic though as I keep on meeting people!
 Leeanne
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2006 8:40:13 AM
I certainly give the handshake, but if he goes in for the little hug or peck on the cheek I am not offended. More than that I would be a bit taken back.
 purplestardust101
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2006 9:24:35 AM
Big smile first...then Hello...hug and or kiss, depending on who it is, and how long we have talked already...I tend to get to know someone pretty well before first meeting...and like who they are already...or I just wouldn't agree to meet in the first place...anyone not wanting to know each other first...I just don't go out then...if anyone is really looking for a real relationship...they take the time that it needs to grow one...and continue thru-out their lifetime doing it...and no, I don't mean taking months to get to know someone either...lol...
 wisebutadventurous
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/12/2006 9:29:38 AM
I thinks for me this depends on how well I know the person...someone i've talked to in depth and really like i'd hug but someone less known to me..handshake and a smile and a simple Hey!
 Wild Heart
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/12/2006 9:41:00 AM

People back home (Mtl) tend to kiss upon greeting, once on each cheek (a la francaise). Doesn't matter if you are on a date, being introduced to someone's boyfriend, mother, child, etc. We are a very kissy bunch, and not too worried about "knowing" the person.

I'm from Mtl too and do the same, it's very european lol! Some people have thought I was trying to whisper something in their ear.... Generally I try to read the person first to see how they would receive it.

As for cooties, well you can catch "cooties" from someone coughing on their hand and touching the railing you just touched or even talking to the person. but that's another topic.
 hazel,eyes
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/12/2006 1:18:29 PM
i think id prefer a hug leave the kissing for later
 Saucer123
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/12/2006 1:22:51 PM
Titty twister. She does me of course.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How do you greet on First date?