Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > He has been married 4 times.........a danger sign or what...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 snowsoup
Msg: 1
He has been married 4 times.........a danger sign or what...Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
OK, I have met a man on line but not in person yet. He and I have a lot in common and have been writing on and off for a month. He lives in another state. He seems interested in a LTR with a woman. He has been married 4 times. He is older then me and has grown kids. I am interested in marriage, in my life at some time with the RIGHT person--whomever that may be.

He is "old fashioned" by his words that he would still like to be hitched again. I like the fact that he was with each woman for a long time except one.

Am I headed for heartache? He just said these relationships did not work out. Of course there are two sides to each story. Is this a red flag or should I be thinking, "at least he is not a 50 year old who NEVER committed". I don't want to be judgemental but I don't want to waste my time either.

What do you all think here based on your experiences??? or
 ontario_woman
Msg: 2
view profile
History
He has been married 4 times.........a danger sign or what...
Posted: 5/13/2006 5:15:52 AM
GO SLOW!!! It may just be a fluke, but it could also mean that this man has issues that caused his relationships to break down. You may want to speak to his ex's too. You'll have to sort out what is their misplaced anger and what is truth, but you could get an insight to why this man has so many failed marriages in his past.
 belgarion
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/13/2006 5:19:50 AM
Hmmmmm!!! Interested in an ltr and has been married 4 times. How long we talking here??
Just kidding!!!!
 snowsoup
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/13/2006 5:29:50 AM
1 year (one that crashed early), 6 years, 8, years, 12 years.

Carrie..I love u r post's u kill me girl............uuuu he is in his 50's. What if it was 3 times, would that change it, lol. Shit I can't remember now. Ouch, lol
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/13/2006 5:36:19 AM
Mother of God! How old is this man? Married four times...I'd be running in my Jimmy Choo's if I were you.
Four freaking times...Wow!
~Carrie B.
 amy1966
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/13/2006 5:41:37 AM
Red flag Red flag Red flag............sorry did i say that out loud? be careful snow
 AREALANGEL
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/13/2006 5:52:13 AM
Will the facts you gave us ..Yes,, I see red flags all over it too...

He has serious emotional baggage to contend with...very disfunctional...

Unless you have a degree in the mental health field..I say..find a nice guy in your local area you can at least go to to the movies with..stay lighthearted and easy going...

Don't get bogged down on his wants and needs...it's not worth it...
 mafinkc
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/13/2006 6:00:14 AM
Why don't you want to "be judgemental"? Obviously, something's wrong with his pattern of behavior or his pattern of choices.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but I'd "judge" the evidence to indicate that he's clearly not someone who can make a marriage work.

If you're just interested in marriage for the sake of being married (I know some people like like) then he's obviously someone who's OK with that. Heck, it looks like he'll get married at the drop of a hat.

If you're more interested in the real thing/LTR then I'd say betting on this guy would be wasting your time, effort, emotions and money.

Married FOUR times? I agree with the other posters....there are red flags all over this situation. It seems that you would be begging for problems.
 snowsoup
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/13/2006 6:03:58 AM
Thank you for your kind advice folks but hey, what if it is his religious values that cause him to "seal the deals"? he is kinda old fashioned.

PS, what about Liz Taylor 8 times or something like that...

***************note to maf...he doesn't just screw around but believes you should marry if you are serious..in otherwords not committment phobic I guess
 mafinkc
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/13/2006 6:06:22 AM
How does being divorced four times demonstrate "religious values" or being "old fashioned"?
 sexy_grandma_looking
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2006 6:11:05 AM
I just have one question: Does this guy live in Arkansas? He sounds a lot like a guy I have met on here and have even met in person.
 shore66
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/13/2006 6:45:56 AM
I would be interested in knowing what his grown kids have to say about him - their perspective might be enlightening.
 knopper3
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/13/2006 12:12:27 PM
I don't know if it's a danger sign, at least as in there is something terribly wrong with him. I have a friend in the same boat as your friend (his name isn't Andy, is it?). He's old fashioned and thinks that if he's going to be in a LTR, he ought to be married to the woman. He's been married and divorced 4 times. I can't for the life of me figure out why it never works out. He's the nicest and most decent man I know. His last wife was the only one I knew well and I'd have to place most of the blame for the breakup on her. I can't say about the other three.

I know a success story too. I work with a guy who is about 20 years into his fourth marriage and by all appearances they are headed for happily ever after land.

You'll just have to get to know him better to find out if it is some character flaw or just bad luck that has got him where he is. Be aware though, of you two become serious, he will probably start pressuring you to get married.

knopper3
 Indigo Rose
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/13/2006 12:25:11 PM
He sure doesn't have a fear of commitment that's a bonus. So he married four times how many women has the average 50 year old been involved with??? follow your gut.
 countryslim01
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/13/2006 12:58:20 PM
It could be a good sign, or bad.. Some people rebound quickly in search, and will pick a spacefiller to latch on to. Some Men will commit readily to a Woman they believe in, and others will drag it on out as long as they can without marrying, or giving their Last name, which is the ultimate gift of old fashioned relationships, other than Love and respect. Giving the family name to one worthy is a sign of total commitment to some.

I come from an old fashioned family also, and All I've ever wanted was a normal Home and Family, like my relatives have had. Needless to say, it takes more than two warm adult bodies sharing a name and house to make a marriage work, Quick bad choices can equal much pain, and more than one failed marriage.

My last wife left 13 years ago saying she didn't "think" she loved me anymore, and she has since been married three times, divorced the same, yet I have remained single.

I've tried hard at it, and I've always been a good provider, not jealous or mean, but I don't know that I'll ever get Married again..

I've yet to find a Lady worthy of my trust, yet I feel She must exist somewhere? I'm in no hurry anymore.

.... Now, the "Hot" cowtipper above me .... ^ ... ummmm...... I'd marry her four timezz..lol..
 Gmaverick
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2006 1:05:23 PM
I think that's no very clear, it seems like you gonna have to do some research, I mean get to know the person, and see yourself.
It could be both, "nothing wrong-very dangerous" you need to find out, I believe the only honest way to know someone is; interaction.
 1gentlelady
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/13/2006 1:25:19 PM
DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER!!!! I learned the hard way.....I was wife #4 to a 50 yr old man (hmmmmm......where did you say he lived?) I ignored the red flags and was burned big time. Of course, the breakups weren't his fault.....they all cheated on him....or were ****es.....and he wasn't in touch with his kids because their mother turned them against him.......etc etc. Yeah, right. RUN RUN RUN RUN!!!!! He cheated on me....thus I am here.....and proceeded to tell his family and his friends (only has a couple) that I cheated on HIM!
 1gentlelady
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/13/2006 1:27:55 PM
And......he cheated on me through dating sites (this one included).....and one of the things he said about himself was that he was "old fashioned yet modern" (hmmmmm......sounding awfully familiar!!!)
 azn_angel
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/13/2006 1:43:59 PM
Yeah girl, I don't know married 4 times? are all the wives still living or like did they suffer ummmm tragic unexplainable deaths? okay sorry had to ask, I'd be running, I agree with Carrie, even if it means leaving the shoes, LTR? do you want to be wife number 5? man he must be broke due to alamony...where are you going to live in a box?
 sayonara7
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/13/2006 2:39:46 PM
Married 4 times???Okay, sorry, but if I were you, I'd run to the nearest exit as fast as I could.Why do you want to be wife number 5?But then again, your choice, do what suits you best.I'd definately not even think about it if it were me though.
 romegaguy36
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/13/2006 2:40:11 PM
Marriage is an institution created by God and is a life long bond between man and women. A guy beng married 4 times is more than a red flag, its a sign that his views of marriage is a matter of compatibility and getting along in reality married ppl need to get it right and stay married and quit getting divorces. Chances are u could be #5 that is 5 time divorced for him. What makes u think u can prevent another divorce for this guy and what makes it different? I don't know this guy maybe he had 4 wifes that cheated on him and done him wrong, but if its a matter of not being compatible run as far as possible or just be very cautious. IMO nobody is compatible when it comes to marriage its a matter of honoring God and being committed to your duty of being a spouse even when conditions or situations are not suitable.
 RBM
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/13/2006 2:41:12 PM
Just go slow. He may have a poor "chooser" but firmly believes in marriage and will readily commit. If you take your time, and after a LONG period of getting to know him, it may work out. But be careful, protect your heart, and go slow.
 1gentlelady
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/13/2006 2:55:00 PM
Sure......some guys like my soon to be ex believe in marriage and will commit readily.....because they know they will get half of everything you own when they divorce you! And I thought I was being careful before I married him by living together for a year and a half before we tied the knot....but..... I still say DANGER, DANGER.....RUN, RUN..... At the VERY least.....get a prenup if it gets to the point where you move in together.....
 RBM
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/13/2006 3:02:07 PM
Yeah, prenups are good. If they don't agree, then there's your red flag.
 bugsybears
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/13/2006 3:02:57 PM
well snowsoup that is a chance we all take every time we venture outside the door. i never look at it as time wasted. one day mr right may come along whether you're looking or not. you really need to find out for yourself if he could be the one for you. if he's not, at least you gave it your best shot. i would say go for it, if you are interested in him. just don't rush into anything. try to get a feel for what this guy is about before you commit to anything. good luck to you. i hope things work out for you.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > He has been married 4 times.........a danger sign or what...