Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Anybody date a shrink?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 designingwoman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Anybody date a shrink?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Anyone on here date a psychiatrist? Gotta hear the "war stories" as this sounds rather intriguging......
 Wizard097
Msg: 2
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 7:24:09 PM
I dont know if I would want a Case Study book written about my personal life...
I am assuming that a shrink can also have a regular personal life I hope
 Indigo Rose
Msg: 3
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 7:24:44 PM
Why what did you hear??? Is a Psychologist the same thing?
 JKW98
Msg: 4
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 7:26:54 PM
I went out with one once . . . talk about a pompous jerk with an overblown sense of self importance. . .
 Bull Rhino
Msg: 5
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:18:38 PM
 Bull Rhino
Msg: 6
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:19:49 PM
Yeah, but what was *he* like? (ta dum)

My friend dated a psychiatrist until the psychiatrist killed himself for a personal reason. My sister is a psychologist and she got married without any trouble. I went on one date with a psychologits but when she found out I had dropped out of high-school she fled and hid in the restroom until I had left.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 7
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:24:12 PM
IR:
Why what did you hear??? Is a Psychologist the same thing?
Are you asking if a psychologist is the same thing as a psychiatrist? No they are not. A psychiatrist has a true medical pedigree, a psychologist usually does not. Only a psychiatrist can prescribe medication for that reason. However, clinical psychologists have a little more wieght than regular ones and in some states they can also prescribe medication.

BR:
I went on one date with a psychologits but when she found out I had dropped out of high-school she fled and hid in the restroom until I had left.
Don't you hate it when they do that. Too bad you couldn't flick a smoke bomb in the women's restroom and set off the sprinklers on her.
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 8
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:49:26 PM
^^^I wouldn't go out with either...They have waaaay too many voices to listen to!..
 Eric48
Msg: 9
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:35:59 PM
I'd date mine (she's a babe) ... but I haven't been able to get inside her head yet ... aside from knowing that she likes Bon Jovi.

But I think it might be illegal or somethin.

sayonara7
Msg: 10
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:39:41 PM
Oh I definately would.I have a thing for lunatics. No offense to anyone.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 11
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 5:56:05 AM
But I think it might be illegal or somethin.
Its only a breach of their professional ethics if you are their patient.

unknownwaters
Msg: 12
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 6:24:20 AM
I never dated a psychiatrist, but i did date someone who was a social worker and on his way to being a psychologist..... i found it very difficult. He was a great guy, but i found myself to always be on guard. It felt like i was being anylyzed all of the time....

Believe it or not we broke up because ultimately i couldn't open up to him. Funny eh? And on top of that, it got to the point where he was telling me so much about myself that i developed a thought in my head '' why should i have to tell him anything? he knows it all anyways ''.....

I wouldn't date anyone in that profession in the future... i would find it too difficult as i have in the past.
 Bull Rhino
Msg: 13
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 7:49:16 AM
The comment I heard that made me think was, it's the screwed up people who get into psychology in the first place. That is an ignorant remark, but must be true in a small part. When I imagine my sister's interest in psychology I can easily suppose it came from having struggled so much as the daughter of her parents, one of whom is my father. I have known psychiatrists and psychologists both socially, and have found them to be quite intelligent, very open-minded, great conversationalists, and generally happy. It would surprise me if after their having studied human minds and behaviors, they weren't self-aware, well-adjusted and socially adept. Some few would be conceited, or maybe it's self-defense against our self-defense against feeling suddenly under the microscope. Underlying the profession is a sincere, noble impulse to help individuals as well as mankind generally. What's not to like?

I doubt I would be attractive to one, because it would be too much like being at work for them.

I think the higher (not much higher) suicide rate of psychiatrists probably comes from the difficulty of trying to have relationships with people when you know how and they don't. Or maybe they just get overwhelmed by the distress of mental illness, which we rarely see but they work with. Like cops who eventually burn out dealing with domestic disputes, addicts and criminals. I found it hard in the corporate world to sit through meetings held by mildly insane people.

I would date one if she didn't run and hide in the restroom. You can't get very far when she does that.
 ~Crazy Chic~
Msg: 14
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 8:26:58 AM
no but i might need one
 kristinanb
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 8:35:46 AM
I have not met a psychiatrist, but I have met and corresponded online to a few psychologists, social work types. They were always a bit challenging. I met one a while back after having a few conversations. It was very awkward, more so than the usual strangeness I feel about meeting people. I did feel put under a microscope and his insights I think were in the general direction, but a bit "off".

On the other hand, many people will ask me all sorts of technical questions since I teach computer courses. If I had any real problems, it could be a great barter exchange!

Tina
 Poet102781
Msg: 16
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 8:59:19 AM
MY last girlfriend has a shrink...and she would tell her things about me all the time...weirded me out....who knew I was apart of her crazy ways.
 joseph322
Msg: 17
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 9:26:46 AM
I would if i could charge them as much an hour as they do the their looney toones. Kidding people if you go to shrink just kidding . Dont mail me acting all crazy. Just cuss me out on forum.lol
 little_mermaid
Msg: 18
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 1:48:08 PM
Its only a breach of their professional ethics if you are their patient.

I had a marriage counselor once who made me feel quite uncomfortable..I was not interested in paying weekly to tell me how fabulous I was and to well...to hit on me, basically. I did try this route with my ex for awhile but I was the only one who attented these meetings...see what can happen?

I thought they were both idiots.
I did end up divorced...on a positive note.

Found I was better at analyzing myself then paying someone to do it for me.
 imforthem
Msg: 19
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 1:59:42 PM
JKW98,

Oh my God! I think we might've dated the same one!!! Did your's talk in 3rd person, too?
 danceswithwolves1
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 2:06:48 PM
Anyone on here date a psychiatrist? Gotta hear the "war stories" as this sounds rather intriguging......

It seems clear that by asking that question, you are demonstrating a latent Freudian envy of the male psyche. As the recent surge in "Reality Therapy" suggests, you are confusing your role as an enabled, independent female with the old societal norms which seek to limit your inner child to a place of seclusion and overprotection. In this process, you have found that your old fears of being psycho-analyzed are beginning to merge with suppressed phobias concerning the blah, and the further blahs, with a blah blah here, and a blah blah there, here a blah, there a blah, everywhere a blah blah.....

Nope, never tried it ... but I'd like to. Usually they are caring, others-centered people. You're a woman, right? Well, they'll never figure you out anyway!!

pliu
Msg: 21
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 5:32:08 PM
Dated a psych major once. It was fun, she psycho-analyzed people, mostly strangers. It was fun. She read me like a book.
 are_u_flirting
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/16/2006 6:48:32 PM
My ex had a degree in psychology and worked as a social worker in a battered women’s shelter. She considered herself a great communicator because of all the training she had but she was the worst. She used sarcasm to express her dislikes and she didn’t even use the most basic rules of expressing yourself ie: when you, I feel. She thought her education made her an expert on relationships so she would analyze ours but she could only see what I was doing wrong. She also had absolutely no respect for my boundaries and when she crossed them and I got upset I was being abusive because I was trying to impose my beliefs onto her. The relationship finally ended when she got out of our bed one morning gave me a big smile and kissed me goodbye on her way to work then came home that evening packed herself and her two daughters up and moved into another mans house. She was so healthy.

Ok, you hit a nerve with me, sorry for the rant!
 capegardengirl
Msg: 23
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/17/2006 7:19:40 PM
Well, I am a licensed clinical social worker LICSW, and I find the people meeting me want to talk about what I do FAR MORE than I do.....Either that or they throw that stupid "please dont analyze me" line" I get sick of , or immedidately start talking about their personal problems at random once they know what I do, like Im supposed to give them "free care" on the spot or something...Id like to tell them then to "f..ck off, I dont work for free on my time...lol....So often I dont tell people exackly what I do to avoid that..Saying "Im in the healthcare field" usually works
 hazel,eyes
Msg: 24
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/17/2006 9:47:30 PM
no but maybe i should
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 25
Anybody date a shrink?
Posted: 5/18/2006 8:22:56 AM
dated two of em...

ever notice how many mentally ill people are in the mental health profession?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Anybody date a shrink?