Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The big WUSS that I am , I was watching Grey's Anatomy tonite ....during one scene they had showed how difficult it is to put down a pet.

My beloved Sheltie, had to be put down a number of years ago and watching this show all this time later made this tough old guy break down.....holding her ( my dog) as she passed was one of the hardest things I ever did.....Never would I have guessed it until I had to go through it.

How about anyone out there?
 Lil Redneck
Msg: 2
Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:28:27 PM
Well why is that such a shock, fact is an amimal gives you unconditional love
and to have grief around that same animals death is absolutly reasonable. Animals
have a way of showing humans what real love is without question and real death.
I was the same with every pet I have lost but I hope that the practice of the grief
process will prepare me for the big one. The loss of my parents.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:30:15 PM
I have been called an animal ...does that count??LOL!
 sherez
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:36:34 PM
i had one dog die, then the next day i hads to put mt other one down. I will never get over losing them. I think about them daily, they were mt childhood animals. I miss them more then some of the people that i have lost in my life.

sherez
 sherez
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:37:37 PM
oops forgot to proof read.
 singleandnotlooking42
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:59:18 PM
wow first time for me to type in this.
yes i have put down a few, it is hard, it is like loosing a child. something you will never forget.
 mrkwyd1
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2006 9:21:19 PM
A few years ago I got to "join in" on taking the family dog that I grew up (I had moved out long before then) with to the vet for the final time.

One of those things that life can REALLY do without. Its a horrible thing and no one should ever have to go through it alone.
They become more than just animals that live with us, they're loved ones, family, unjudging, and, as mentioned, providing unconditional love and companionship (Unless someone offers a better treat...then the companionship is a little lacking )

As I look to my little princess (dog/roommate...I'd say pet...but who am I kidding, she runs the show here), who is not so young anymore, I dread the day when her number is up.
 _pale_pink_
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:18:03 PM
Kharma! Grey's Anatomy tonight, I couldn't watch that....I sobbed uncontrollably (I could not get a grip) the whole way though. And both my dogs were on me licking my face, upset that I was crying.

I was never able to have children, and my two dogs are like my kids. I never go anywhere wiithout them, and they are not small dogs. Guys have to pass the "dog test" if they want to date me...my dogs are a good judge of character.

And each has aspects of my personality that are so apparent, it's too funny to watch them in action. And nothing beats, the off leash parks, especially going to a regular one and meeting all the great dog people in Wpg. Funny you never ever get to know the people's name it's oh you are "Spirit's mom".

OT: My oldest is 6 now, while he is still young he is showing signs of a bit of arthritis. And I seem to be the neighbourhood dog person....I LOVE them, so generally, have more dogs than people in my house as all my friends are big dog lovers as well. And one of my "special" dogs, who belongs to a close friend of mine, is well past her life expectancy, she has been a part of my life for nearly 7 years now. She will be my first, I don't know how I will handle it.

There have been a few deaths in my family, but I know for me my dogs are going to be the most difficult.
 medicgirl911
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:18:30 PM
I had a great dog...he was a basset hound named Kobee. He got really sick and needed to be put down. So sad... i still cry when i think about him.... poor baby!
 deadlyeye
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:35:47 PM
I have not had to put a pet down yet...but I did have a big beautiful dobbie...one evening while watching tv, he crawl up on the couch with me, cuddled in my lap for a bit and just passed away...Yes they show unconditional love and he sought out love before he went and I am so glad to this day that I could be there for him as he was for me.
 Nighthawk 648
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/16/2006 9:16:57 AM
Deadlyeye, that is a touching story, I hope that is the way my Dal goes.

Dogs are amazing creatures, perceptive, intelligent and the unconditional love second to having a child for sure. I'm not sure how I would handle it. I have never had to do it, and don't even really want to think about it. But also know I would never want him to suffer in pain. I do know I would have him cremated for sure, I've already thought about that.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2006 11:11:44 AM
Unconditional LOVE !!
What we as humans could learn from that humble , forgiving spirit....

Mind you don't pee off your cat...he will tear your furniture when you leave...LOL!!

I hate it that there are people like that!!
 Deranged
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2006 11:34:11 AM

Unconditional LOVE !!
What we as humans could learn from that humble , forgiving spirit....

yep yep. couldnt agree more.

about 6 years ago i had to put my ferret down. he was the light of my life that little guy. he never grew out of his "puppy" stage. always playful and goofy, boundless energy and just loving life. i learned a lot from that little guy... learned how to grow up without ever growing old, how to never lose that sense of curiosity and amazement we had as children... he definitely helped me regain all that stuff we lose as we progress from child to adult.

i held him as they injected him.

even typing this i start to cry. that was THE Hardest Thing i have ever had to do in my life. and knowing i will one day have to do it again, it will still be as difficult. i think what was hardest for me was in that final moment before his heart stopped. you could see the look of understanding in his eyes... he looked straight into my face right before he dropped. as much pain as he was in, he still didnt want to go. but i knew it was best for him. his entire body was filled with cancer. still didnt make it easy. and it will never get easy. my only consolation is that it was the only thing to do for him.
 fun_bun
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/16/2006 12:00:54 PM
July 3, 2005

My cat, Sweetie. He was suffering from a heart condition that came on full strength at 7 years of age.

It was about a week of medicating him before he toppled over and couldn't breathe. I cried the minute I call the vet to see if they could end his suffering. I cried while driving him to the vet, he was laying on my legs trying to breathe. I cried while waiting for the vet. I cried when they injected him. I cried when I saw his last breath, captured in a bubble that came out of his nose. I cried for several days.

I'm crying right now thinking about him. I still have yet to remove his dish bowl from where he use to eat.
 Deranged
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2006 12:16:12 PM
fun bun, hun. let me tell you. hide the food bowl.

i used to sleep with my baby's pillow every night after he passed. i just couldnt let go. i guess i still cant, and its been 6 years. but my heart hurt tons less once i hid his pillow from sight.

find a new way to remember your baby. something that wont keep the pain alive, but will help you remember in a positive way. i plant morning glory every year. i used to plant just the big blue ones for my ElmoBaby. but since then i've lost two more babies, so i plant a multitude of colours.

the last time i looked at his pillow (about two years ago) i hugged it close and cried. but when i see the morning glories in full bloom, i smile when i think about him and all the goofy things he used to do. i remember the way he used to make me laugh rather than the pain of losing him.

so, get rid of the dish, for now. keep it if you wish (i still have his pillow somewhere), but put it out of sight. and find a new way to remember.
 Munkeechi
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/16/2006 2:07:06 PM
October 26, 2005 we had to put down my beloved baby. We had him for 17 years, so almost my entire life. He was my world, my absolute world. I surround myself with pictures of him now. I miss him incredibly. We had to put him down because he didn't eat for almost a week and the vet said his kidneys had shut down, so all the waste that was supposed to go through those was going through his system, and if it got to his heart he'd die of massive seizures. We had no choice, we wouldn't let my baby go in pain.

He just laid there, totally unaware of what was going on... and slowly drifted away while I sobbed uncontrolably. When we came home, my dad even cried.

I took his collar and put it in a frame with some pictures.

The best day of it was when my dad went and picked up his urn. It felt like he was home again, in a different way, but still home again. For weeks I couldn't go to bed without saying goodnight to the urn. I still do sometimes.

I know my dog was alright with it and agreed with us, because two days after we put him down I had a dream where he was in a big field, running and barking with a few other dogs. It was him telling me, I'm ok, I understand, and I'm not in any pain. He was telling me he didn't hate me for it.

It's only been almost 7 months but the pain is still fresh. Even when I'm writing this I'm crying. I miss him so much. The smallest things, like no paw prints in the snow outside got to me. Not having to wash his paws off after the rain, seeing dog toys.... having a bad day and not having a dog to cuddle with... it all still hurts so much.

I still have CW's favourite toy and his dish in my basement. When I move, they'll come with me... just as he will. No dog will ever be as loving, as funny and have a personality like him. No dog will ever come close to him... I want another one very badly as life is so empty without a dog in the house, but I know I'm still not ready. It's only been 7 months and the pain is still so fresh.
 spitboxer
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/16/2006 2:10:26 PM
I had to put down my cat because he had stones. It was a financial reason, which almost made it a more difficult decision. The day that lead up to it was incredibly frightening, he started convulsing when he was in the cat carrier. There is nothing freakier than a cat carrier moving up and down while you're carrying it, supposedly on it's own.

Poor cat. He was the best.

brings a tear to my eye even now.
 DietCoke┬«Guy
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/16/2006 3:11:43 PM
One time I told our dog that he was really really bad. But he got over it.
 Gypsy67
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/16/2006 4:31:44 PM
My Mom has my baby since the "seperation". She told me last night she thinks it's time. I can't even fathom it, I have had him for 12 years, he is such a part of my life and my daughter's. So, warning everyone now, we are deciding next week and I know I will need alot of tissues. He is the son I never had, a Golden Retreiver/Border Collie, one of the smartest and most lovable dogs I have ever owned.
 kimkina
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/17/2006 3:57:10 PM
Last week when i saw this thread I avoided it, not even wanting to IMAGINE the possibility. Now, as I sit looking at my beloved Rotweiller whose blood test came back today showing Cancer, I find myself gravitating towards you all, who have been there, as I am already a mess. Losing her is something I have always feared and now it seems the time is near. I love her so much and this will not be easy. how do you do it?

I don't know what I believe... but I HOPE there is a Doggie-Heaven.
 JPD and SLB
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/17/2006 4:25:40 PM
Back in 1986 I was getting ready for school when a car pulled into the yard. The lady was in tears and told me she'd just hit my dog with her car. I rushed outside and saw him lying at the end of my driveway still alive but his back was broken. I went to the house and got the .22 and had to put him out of his misery myself. I'd gotten him when I was 11 yrs old and he was just a wee puppy, I used to sneak him into the house into my bedroom when he was very little so he could sleep in bed with me and hear my breathing and heartbeat, when he got older he was ok outside, especially when my grandfather got him a buddy, another dog from my grandfather's friend who'd just passed away. His name was Rinty after Rin Tin Tin. I'll never forget the look in his eyes as he looked at me while I held the rifle almost pleading with me to make the hurting go away. I now have a German Shep that I rasied from 9 days old and the thought of her leaving me is almost too much to bear. I know Rinty woulnd't have made it the 15 mile drive to the vet's so he could be put down and why put him thru the extra pain that the drive would have put him thru. I know a lot of people will think it was cruel of me to do what I did, you're wrong, he was in pain and I had to end his pain. Last summer one of my outside dogs was hurt while playing with her brother and Missy and I didn't know how badly she was hurt, she ended up bleeding to death, I found her the next day and buried her in her favorite spot on the yard. I buried Rinty in his favourite spot and to this day 20 years later I know he's there and exactly where. OK nuff said, I'm having trouble seeing the screen.
 Smokey Da Bear
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/17/2006 4:34:19 PM
Dan you prick....now ya got me misty eyed too.
I could never put a pet down with a gun but I do believe you did the right thing bro.
 Gypsy67
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/17/2006 5:30:25 PM
OMG Dan, I need tissues now. I believe you did the right thing and to Kim, next week I will be going through what you are now, my shoulder is here.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2006 2:02:26 AM
Dam!!! Time to go rent "OLE YELLER " again!!
 Patient No.167
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:33:00 AM
One of the most heart-wenching experiences that a person may have to undergo in his or her lifetime.
Yes, as a child, we had to put down our family dog, who brought happiness and comfort to us for more than a decade. There is no question that losing a pet is an extension of losing a family member.
I'm very sorry for your lose.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?