Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hawkwoman
Msg: 1
A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pet names?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I believe calling a woman sweety or baby or anything like that before you even know her is a little disrespecful.I mean i think those names are used when you know the other really well like when your in a relationship amd I wrong? It is a pet peave of mine thats all I know I wouldn't call the man hey baby or hi sexy until i ahve seen them face to face and gone on a few dates and got to know what he is about. Just a thought what do you all think?
 mazda626_b
Msg: 2
view profile
History
A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pet names?
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:44:25 PM
I agree with you, but some men are simple minded. Uhhh. most men are but someone might use those names so they dont feel uncoformtable when going out with a girl. I personally wouldnt use a pet name, unless i and that person was comfortable with it.
 BossyLady
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/18/2006 5:48:10 PM
I agree....nothing I hate worse than some**** guy thinking he's "all that and a bag of chips" comming up to me saying....."Hey baby girl" or "Hey Sug"....I'm pretty sure that isn't my name Fonzy. Its ok if my bf calls me pet names...but someone I don't know....don't do it.....makes this lady get cranky
 hawkwoman
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:08:53 PM
Yes it drives me nuts to , and i don't really think it makes him comfortable by saying it in emails to me after a few dozen eails please i know it means something .Call me by my name not baby girl i am not your baby girl yet honey! you haven't taken me out yet damb!hahah Just chill out relax and be yourself not a man of crazy talk.
 Absolutely_Maybe
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:49:22 PM
That's an easy one. So we don't get your names confused. That's so much worse! lol I'm kidding! It's meant with affection, and it's a good way to see whether or not she is willing to respond positively to it. Personally, I don't use pet names, like baby, unless I believe she will respond positively, and it's meant to signify some sort of stronger relationship beyond just being acquainted. Also, I don't believe it's not cool to spread myself thin and try and meet as many women as possible. For those who love shopping, the online dating community has at its fingertips a huge shopping mall open 24/7. At some point, given that there are good fundemental qualities and shared interests, why not put time and effort into someone and see where it goes? I believe the answer is because you might miss out on someone you've overlooked. But you may also miss out on that special someone you choe not to focus on and just stop shopping around for something "better".

~ Michael
 name of feather
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/18/2006 8:41:25 PM
It's normal to do that in certain places. In the south people use terms of endearment a lot more than in the north (US). On a list of offenses, yeah, lets castrate the **stard for calling you Sugar or Dear.

I wish my problems were this small.
 smom2
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2006 8:45:28 PM
Umm... I call everyone sweetie... even the person at the drive through... I don't really see anything wrong with it, personally I'd rather someone call me that rather than "hey b*tch"...

winxs
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/19/2006 5:57:25 AM
Same here...I have a habit of calling everyone hun...picked it up at the bar where I use to work and it kinda stuck now lol
 jodie1985
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2006 6:07:31 AM
im with u on this one hawk i hate it too i always though it was just me, but i guess not lol. as soon as a guy says something like that to me im gone its too relationshipish (i dont think thats a word lol) 4 me if im not with u then im not ur baby or hunny or ne thing else unless u forgot my name in witch case ur still a moron lol
 markman1
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/19/2006 6:11:06 AM
I totally agree and i'm a guy...talk like should be reserved for when you know a person. Why would you even want to throw those pet names around until you really know what someone looks like
 SimbadSailor
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/19/2006 7:58:41 AM
Men go as far as you let them, so for us, it's a test. If I call you a pet name and your eyes say go, great. If they say no, then we have a problem.

Perhaps you should concentrate in his intention (to create rapport and convey appreciation) instead of letting your feminist side appear and rip his head off.

What I don't understand is why so many women are so eager to find disrespect in everything a guy does, and then ask why their dating life sucks.

Him: "Hi baby"
Her: "I'M NOT YOUR BABY!"
Him: Nor you will ever be. Bye!
 Crane Man
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/19/2006 9:01:05 AM
I personally don't call women those names unless we are dating and things are a little more intimate. But if a woman wants to call me Sexy, or something then bring it on!
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/19/2006 9:29:56 AM
Women do it too. It isn't something I do, but I don't think it really means a lot. It doesn't bother me at all.
 kmalover
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/19/2006 10:07:19 AM
I can't talk for every woman, but I myself use baby, sweety, ect... as nick names for the man I am with.
 xsainthoodx
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/19/2006 10:17:58 AM
Agreed. I believe that those type of things should be saved until you are either with someone or actually know them like that. Too corny in the prelims.
 hawkwoman
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/19/2006 10:29:24 AM
Ok I totally agrre with all of you to a point , i sometimes call my close friends hun or people i really like but this person doesnt even know me at all he tells me to email him also lol control much ?I am open to everything almost just not that let me get to know you first then call me that please.
 netcerebral
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/19/2006 10:34:47 AM
I agree that terms of endearment should be left for something more intimate (like after three successful dates). Mind you, I say doll for women and bud for males that I've befriended. It's not because I can't remember their names, it just seems so formal to use someone's given name all the time. Friendly, pet names may be the way some people break the ice, while some people are just easily offended. As someone already mentioned, wish my troubles were that small
 hawkwoman
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/19/2006 1:46:43 PM
I see where your comeing from I am not saying it's a problem lol i have bigger things going on it's just when your trying to get to know them be natural i guess some men feel comfortable saying it but i wouldn't.
 DragonRider29
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/19/2006 1:59:43 PM
I am not the type that uses pet names.
I've seen a lot of women do the same thing, call me honey or baby etc. etc.. I have found if I like the person, it's OK, even kind of neat. But if I don't like the person, then it is offensive.
 shadowall
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/19/2006 3:19:22 PM
Well, I'm an east coaster, raised anyway out there. We use Love, Dear, Hun, Sweetie, and other things like that in everyday conversations with random people, but that's just our thing. I even use it on my answering machine. That's just the way I talk. When it comes to relationships, however, I like to be called by my name at least once a day. Certain times, yes, it's appropriate for "terms of endearment". My two cents on this subject.

-Lee
 ginibin
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/19/2006 7:49:26 PM
I dated an east coaster, he uses it a lot and gets creamed for it a lot, he really does just love all women and doesn't mean it with disrespect-if he disrespects you you'll know it. My daughter's east coast, she uses it a lot too, and she and her bf don't call women older than him by anything pet, unless it's Miss/Mrs. and her last name.

But the boys in border Mexico, to them I'm *hunny* and *Mija* and a few others, because they just flaunt that whole latin lover sexual thing all over the place and with *any* adult woman, not actually their mother or close relative, they'll be sexually possessive when next to her-even if not being involved with her. If they ask you out to dinner, they want your full attention and you're hunny all the way through the meal-even if it's a business dinner and will go nowhere-it's practically expected by the women for the men to behave this way.

It's cultural. It's a small world, people from everywhere mixing with everyone and then there's people who pick up tidbits of culture without ever having left home.

Chill. If it's meant with disrespect, you'll know it. A rose smells as sweet even when called hunny.

Gini
 ArmorPierce
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/20/2006 1:08:50 AM
Wow you guys are harsh. Turning down people because they used a term of endearment like hun or sweetie. I happen to be an east coaster and hispanic so you know how it is. Luckily for me, all the women that are so easily offended by this are from Canada.
 SimbadSailor
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/20/2006 6:47:37 AM
Not only from Canada. Anyway, it's good to find out early if a woman expects you will walk on eggshells around her.
 ginibin
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/20/2006 12:05:29 PM
I just got "hey baby"ied last night. I was gettng into my car to go out, the light of the car on me and a sporty car drove by with a young man's voice the driver leaned out and said "Hey baby."

he drove on, no idea who it was, this being a small town, that says something. I'm almos forty, nearly fat and while I thought I looked good, I definately didn't think I looked "hey baby". This is both flattering and insulting at once. How weird.

Gini
 867love
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/4/2006 2:02:49 AM
talk about the pot calling the kettle black. i dont think i can count how many times i have been called, honey, dear, sweety or babydoll, by a strange women. whether they are being flirty, affectionate or just a nice person, i'm certainly not offended. usually very nonsexual, it feels good to have someone warm up to you - its like an unexpected hug without any squeezing.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > A question...Why do men have to call a woman sweety or baby or any pet names?