Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > can friendship grow into true love //////      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 karen_69
Msg: 1
can friendship grow into true love //////Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hello I am just writing this to see if my situation could get some good advice...Today went for a walk and sat and drinking my timmies in the park. I ran into an old friend and well he is a few years younger ,we knew each other from years ago ,I was sitting and chatting about the past and he is now seperated ,We talked about everything when all of a sudden we started saying what we wanted from a spouse and everything he said was the same as i wanted ,,,never in a million years would i have ever dreamed of looking at him in this light but wow he was right on the button .our little chat ended up to be over an hor and then i had to go he knows where i live and said if he wanted he could drop in sometime ,,,I was wondering someone from the past be someone for the future ,,,,,,
 AnalyzerDude
Msg: 2
can friendship grow into true love //////
Posted: 5/28/2006 10:00:42 AM
If you LOVE GOD, is it just a magical tingle that says he/she is your greatest love or is it a choice? If you just magicly loved God you would be worthless to him, like an atomitom.
You make a choice and work towards making your self worthy of that choice. If it wasn't a choice would it make a fly'n flip of any differance at all?

You choose to love!!!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2006 10:05:26 AM
Karen that sounds so exciting. I hope things work out for the best. Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but you did know each other years ago, so you're now likely different people. Depending on how many years is years ago. He is separated, so also keep in mind that he's likely a bit vulnerable and feeling that aloneness. You don't want to be a rebound. So stay in touch, get to renew your friendship. And let things build from there. Best of wishes for you both!!
 Karenjc
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/28/2006 10:08:49 AM
I think friendship can grow into true love. It seems you have the caring and both are on the same track with your wishes and dreams. If you have a strong foundation of friends who knows what can happen !!
 Leeanne
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2006 10:19:52 AM
I was friends with my ex for 5 years before we married - I still love him and he loves me - we just can't live together - he is an alcoholic - but the love will always be there.
 AREALANGEL
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/28/2006 10:29:28 AM
I think he was describing what he had in his marriage when things were new..Things that everyone wants in a marriage..but in time things change and I think he was just talking...like a therapy session..don't be too surprised if he does not STOP BY..he just wanted to talk to someone...don't get your hopes up honey..if he is separated..he will either make up or there will be a break up and become a rebounder....RED FLAGS>>
 lilbit12
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/28/2006 10:33:44 AM
yes i truly believe it happens
 hardbody924
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2006 10:46:29 AM
My match was my best friend for 4 years before we finally got together. I am more deeply in love with her, than I ever thought was possible. I did not know love has this depth, until I fell in love with her
 jmadsenhouse
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/28/2006 11:09:19 AM
Surely you have to be friends to love someone
And yes from my experience just being friends can turn to love, 100%
 wolfskshuntress
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/28/2006 11:45:51 AM
Msg 1, sometimes men like to get a woman's perspective on his separation, and relationships .. until he is divorced, he is not divorced .. i wouldn't recommend pursuing a man who is not divorced .. why not just be a friend, until the divorce is finalized? .. then do the choosing ..
 cgyguy43
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/28/2006 1:50:48 PM
karen 69
I believe it can my wife and i had been friends for many years and had run into each other and talked about all of the bad relationships etc. To make a long story short one day she picked me up at the airport when i came back to Calgary, being a guy sometimes we are a bit slow to pick up on this stuff, that was the change from friends to more. It was the start of a fantastic relationship that only got better with time. We married underwater on the great barrier reef, so it can happen.

Good luck
 truthisee
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/28/2006 1:53:29 PM
Is love not supposed to grow from friendship to begin with???????????????????
 leafslady
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/28/2006 1:58:11 PM
^^^Yup.
The best relationships start as friendships....

Although,I have to say that the OP seems be getting a teeny bit ahead of herself.
Be friends w/ the guy,and don't worry about the relationship part quite yet.
 junglemel
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/28/2006 4:15:19 PM
I agree with leafslady. Friendship thats turns into love can be so awesome!
 omega123
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/28/2006 9:36:05 PM
Definitely! That is how it should be. For what is love? It depends... doesn't it? On the audience. Love between parent and child is eternal, assumed, unconditional. However, love between a man and a woman... er.. or partners... IS conditional. Conditional upon that other word that gets lost by the big LOVE word... and that word is CARING. For CARING as it is defined is "Having genuine or deep concern for the well-being of another." And so "friendship" is a natural place to start that CARING. And over time and a course of unfettered friendship it can all lead to LOVE. A friendship destined for true love is called "Patience". It all takes some time, hopefully a short time, but none the less it will take time to PROVE that time and time again someone in you life cares very much about you.
 Nucci
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/28/2006 9:45:26 PM
That's where all relationships begin.Love has to have a base to grow and friendship is the best fertilizer for that.
 BossyLady
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/29/2006 6:20:40 AM
I think the best and strongest relationships are the ones that start as friendships.
 BalloonsRfun
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/29/2006 6:56:20 AM
They say It takes 2 years to really get to know someone !! Is this a proven time line? I am sure that some couples out there that fall in love FAST do LAST. But its a lot harder now then the old days. A lot of love is based on Material things. I think longterm friendship can grow into true love.
 Halfevl333
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2006 8:12:00 AM
People say you have to be “friends” to have a relationship, but it seems like when you become friends, you stay that, just friends. I have known a lot of women and have been their friend and buddy. Would I have liked to move things onto the next level…you bet, but they were not interested, I was a friend, a buddy someone they could come to and cry and fuss when things went wrong with their relationships. I was the token guy in their friend pool of female friends. Kind of like they came to me to get a guys perspective on things.

The relationship I am in now….kinda, sorta, maybe… is a platonic friendship. We started off as lovers and she decided she didn’t want to continue that kind of relationship, so now we are platonic friends. She has everything she wants from the relationship, someone to talk to, someone to go places with, someone to hang out with, and someone to cook for her and do the dishes and clean up. It is just like being married, including the no sex part… She has no interest in getting us back to the intimate level. Unfortunately the only thing I am getting out of the whole thing is a place to stay and companionship...why I am looking for a woman to fill in the intimacy side of things....

So, I hope you and your friend work out, but, personally I would not put all my hopes and dreams in it…
 wilderunn
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/29/2006 8:40:05 AM
Any great relationship IS a friendship. If you can't be friends first and foremost, then your relationship boils down to sexual attraction and chemistry. Both are very important in a long term relationship, but alone they aren't enough to sustain it. So yes, friendship can blossom into love because love is just an illusion if you can't be friends to back it up...
 OrchidDaisy
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/29/2006 10:34:12 AM
YES! In fact, for me - having a best friend who ended up being more would be the ideal situation. People who were great friends first tend to be more honest - comfortable talking about anything. Also - when you grow old with that person - they will still want to be with you and you can make each other laugh at 80! The movies show passionate love most of the time....but in life - the sequel happens because the couple is best friends... Justine
 chrissy_82
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/29/2006 10:37:15 AM
Yes, you can have a great relationship with someone who was a friend from your past!
 NCSass
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2006 10:40:05 AM
Go for it Karen.....trust in yourself, him and the good lord and see where it takes you.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2006 11:41:18 AM
It's quite possible to find love in the places you least suspect.
And most often, you'll find it when not really looking either. ;)
 Babyblueeyes68
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/30/2006 6:06:03 AM
Best friends make the best lovers. You have already created the base that is part of true love,communication. It is easier to get through the hard times because neither one wants to see the other up set. I say go for it
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > can friendship grow into true love //////