Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 1
Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Just wondering if anyone out there would date an ex-junkie thats cleaned up their act or if there are any ex-junkies out there that a relationship has worked out for?

"Your honour I rest my case..."

Drugstore Cowboy 2006
 ][KAOS][
Msg: 2
Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:31:23 PM
Would depend how long the act has been clean for.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:32:50 PM
If someone's really clean, and can be trusted to stay so, I don't see why not to be with them.
 broken_icon
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:34:18 PM
What kind of junkie? If you stay on meth long enough, it really starts to **** with your looks. So I would have to go with no.

But then again, who knows. I can't confidently give an answer because I have never been in the position. Only speculation.
 delytful
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:35:16 PM
I agree with KOAS. They would have had to be clean for years before I would even give it a chance.
 SnappyDoodle
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:35:45 PM
Been there, done that, never again.

I would not have done it in the first place, but she made a number of playboy movies, and was smart to boot.

I was so smitten (i.e. in lust)
 bucsgirl
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:46:28 PM
Dated one alcoholic. Know the signs now, hindsight truly is 40/40!! Never again, or someone who's going through rehab. Not fair to me or them or to the other people who are involved in life, IE my family. Addictive personalities are extremely hard to deal with and rob too many people who are not of what they want. No way, no how for me!!
 Wolfie65
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:51:39 PM
No such thing as an 'ex' junkie.
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:54:23 PM
says who wolfie what makes you think im not? what makes you the expert dude?

Drugstore Cowboy 2006
 amy300
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:54:24 PM
No - I have had too many as mature students in my class - so many unresolved issues so many damaging side effects - No - Life is difficult enough.
 Gmaverick
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:56:55 PM

It would depend upon what "clean" means.

The residuals of drugs taken are known to stay forever on the fat tissue; the damages caused to the brain are sometimes irreversible.

There are situations that restimulate the behavior the person had when he/she was under the influence.

Therefore it’s no easy to answer that question from my view point.
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:59:05 PM
thanks gmavrick

thats a really intresting comment your right about a lot of things there but we're not all that bad, i've actually turned my life around and made something out of it or at least I'm trying too and within that i can pass on what i know so that others dont make the same mistakes i did...

keep them comming folks....

Drugstore Cowboy 2006
 bucsgirl
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:04:32 PM
There are people who are addicts. Bottom line, they trade one addiction for another.
There are those few who turn to drugs who are going through a rough patch and don't have enough relationship skills to learn how to deal.
There's a fine line between the two.
 John5150
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:04:43 PM
well, not one that's cleaned up "his" act.. but "hers" maybe..

a clean junkie/alcoholic is still a junkie, but can live life like anyone else.. I know someone close to me that is, and he's fine.. in fact I know several.. all have been clean from 10-20 years each, with no relapses at any time..

I don't see any problem, as long as they don't go back to the junk (that's where things get strange)
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:11:17 PM
few of my friends overdosed and died, I think deaths the final word on that score...takes courage and will sheer power to beat those odds and try to rehabiltiate yourself on your own without any help and try to fit back into society...

Drugstore Cowboy 2006
 John5150
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:15:21 PM
there are people who will help a person.. both with the rehab and beating the odds...

actually, rehabilitate myself seemed to be the answer.. one stint in outpatient rehab, one stint in inpatient, then when I DECIDED to quit, I stopped. I don't think that I'm such a bad person.. being addicted is no different than being born without a finger right? you learn to do things differently than others

by the way, how did you move in that getup you are wearing in that pic? is that a geiger counter in your hand?
 drugstorecowboy
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:17:34 PM
bingo john5150 have yourself a cigar...how you finding reality now dude you happy with your lot or still miss those days of being comfortably numb?....

Drugstore Cowboy 2006
 John5150
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:19:40 PM
hell yeah I'm happy man!!! I actually remember the insane stuff that I pull.. I can list so many things that improve (work, salary, sex, etc) when I cleaned up..

at this moment in my life (the next moment may be a bit different) I don't miss numb, not a bit..
 !somewhere
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:32:03 PM
I may.... but I'd be very cautious,

If I could get slowly get to know the person first, I certainly wouldn't quickly jump into a relationship with one.
 Kytasau
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:46:37 PM
Cowboy:

"takes courage and will sheer power to beat those odds and try to rehabiltiate yourself on your own without any help and try to fit back into society..."

Exactly why I would date a rehabilitated addict: sheer courage, strength and will. They were tested and came through their battle. Says much for their character and it's something I can honour.
:-)
 loveangel93308
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/1/2006 5:53:29 PM
You know i have dated a person who cleaned up and went right back to the same thing. But i am a person who has quite smokeing, drinking, and drugs. And I have very healthy relationships. I work, go to school and take care of my children. I would say it all depends on the person.
 Sassy911
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/1/2006 6:14:51 PM
I agree with Kytsa.....I respect anyone who has fought an addiction and won the battle...whether it be alcohol,drugs,overeating or whatever.........shows will power,strength and courage......so yes I would date an ex-junkie.
 Sarahv
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/1/2006 6:19:02 PM
no ............ known too many and they are all messed up!! the drugs is only a symptom of deeper shit . You have to ask yourself what let you get fucked up in the first place ? the answer always comes back the same thing . You have no power !!
 blindheart1
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/1/2006 6:43:41 PM

Exactly why I would date a rehabilitated addict: sheer courage, strength and will. They were tested and came through their battle. Says much for their character and it's something I can honour.

Kytasa* Obviously, IMO, You are also one of strength and courage, along with compassion and support. MOST people never having been down this road themselves, have no idea of the battle, recovered addicts and alcoholics, must fight, sometimes, and more often than not, on a day to day basis. Many tend to steer clear of relationships with these kind of people from their own fear and insecurities that the person will relapse. Often a potential mate will show signs of doubt and a lack of confidence in an addict or alcoholic, which their own weakness in support, along with a lack of faith, can drive one into relapsing more easily. Have you ever noticed, its often advised to not date or enter into any new or different relationships for at least a full year of sobriety, if not longer ? It seems to be overlooked that the longer one remains clean, the more determined they become to stay that way indefinately, not to mention how this also strengthens other areas in their life as well.

............ so I've read anyhow.... ..........
 Kytasau
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/1/2006 6:50:19 PM
Blindheart:

Well said.

I've never had substance abuse addictions myself. However, I've known many who have. My best friend is a guy that I've known since I was thirteen and I remained his friend all through his battles with heroin. He's clean, he's beautiful and has the biggest heart I've ever seen.

The ones who come through usually have a greater love of life and appreciation for what they have. Not to mention the fact, more understanding and compassion. They 'get' the important things in life.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date an ex-junkie who's cleaned up his act?