Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do people get fat after marriage?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Trishnaa
Msg: 1
Why do people get fat after marriage?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Anyone know why?This is a pattern in almost anyone's life.lol.What is the reason behind it?
 Carol27
Msg: 2
Why do people get fat after marriage?
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:45:52 AM
Because most single people (unless they have children) don't sit down to regular meals every evening....those who have someone to eat with every day are more likely to eat more than if they were alone. Besides...people get comfortable with their mate and they don't work so hard at making themselves look good.

I am not saying this is ALWAYS the case....it just seems to happen a lot.
 katie19
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:49:44 AM
I think its because they are tied to someone why should they care about there weight now? When your dating or single you have to look to impress but when your married why do you need to impress them.
 shai2L8
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:49:50 AM
now that they have their partner and they are "accepted for who all they are" they like to provide more for you to cope with .. i mean LOVE

right love..

more to love..

tee hee™
 lady_bugg65
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:51:07 AM
wtf? this is baloney....people don't gain weight because of marriage...unless you count their spouses as "added wieght"....
 Cybury
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:51:47 AM
your only 19... must be nice to be perfect

come back in 20 years and post about how perfect you are then

sorry to break the news to you but we all age and so will you
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:53:37 AM
Contentment.... and believing they are no longer in competition for a partner.

Nom
 thetangypanda
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:56:21 AM
Well maybe its because there are two people cooking instead of one? Or maybe different diet habits. After my divorce, I know I have lost weight. Not only is there not as much cooking, but my ex drank alot of soda and I drink very very very very little. So that means fewer empty calories around the house.
 youngatheart4ever
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:56:58 AM
I believe it is for a variety of reasons; one of them NOT being because they have grown lazy. Marriage offers couples a level of comfort. When you get married, you get comfortable. Comfortable with yourself & comfortable allowing someone else to see "you". External beauty, while important, shouldn't necessarily be the sole reason for marrying someone. Looks fade with time. We get older, and fluffier. It happens to everyone. Those who expect you to look the same as you did when you were in your early 20's are kidding themselves. To truly love someone, you have to be able to see them for what's on the inside. That doesn't change or fade.
 Trishnaa
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:57:06 AM
What has age to do with being fat?I'm 19 but I'm not perfect.No one is.
That was just a question...no need to get defensive.Seriously...why do people get fat after marriage?

By the way, all those answers made sense, but anyone has anything that makes more sense.
 lady_bugg65
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:59:50 AM

What has age to do with being fat?

the same thing that marriage does.......................nothing.....
 Felanie
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:12:26 AM
I always lose weight in a relationship...
and the 5 years I spent in a marriage I was thinner than when we started dating.. and that was even after having a child..
I weigh no more today than I did 15 years ago..
I tend to gain weight when NOT in a relationship.. because I have no reason to
want to stay attractive to someone... My thoughts are.. if they don't like what they see
now.. why bother with them ?????
 shai2L8
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:20:02 AM
^^^ fortunately being a natural born hottie, this "not bothering with them" is a moot point.. lmao

*winks to Felanie*

tee hee™
 *buzz*
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:25:44 AM
Rely on the only activity after the hard day work. Does it happen then? Unlikely. Too tired and full of excuses.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:26:50 AM
Only some people gain weight after getting married. Because they tend to care less about keeping themselves fit now that they've made their catch. :p

Myself, I like to make sure I stay nice and healthy.
And I've been in relationships where my girlfriend has been an amazing chef, and kept whipping up wonderful creations... and I ended up eating 3 times more than I normally would. :p
I just excercise more to make up for it.

Plus, lovemaking is an excellent way to burn off calories. ;)
 wannabe_writer
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:27:27 AM
I gained weight for two reasons: I was unhappy and I was unhappy!
 Leeanne
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:30:41 AM
'cause once you get married there's less sex!!!!
 Say Hi to David
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:57:15 AM
* They think they don't have to work for it because they already won.
* They eat too much because dating involved dining often so eat at home together nightly.
* They can blame the weight on something else besides self-control...lack of time.
______

Why do people get fat regardless of marriage?

* They don't care about their own bodies enough to realize you only get ONE trip and ONE vessel for it.
* They can't control much in their lives except the fork so they do it.
* They don't have any idea how to eat or exercise.
* They are in denial that they are overweight or that it's even a problem.
 Trishnaa
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:03:01 PM
^^^Thanks.That makes a lot more sense.
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:10:50 PM
There are many reasons why people gain weight. I know that the media likes to make us think that married people gain more weight than single people. How accurate is that? I mean, do we just notice the fat married people because in a way, we are programmed to?
I know a lot of thin married people and I know a lot of fat married people. Can we be 100% certain that one has to do with the other.
People on a whole gain weight for the same reasons.
1. They become lazy- they stop exercising
2. They are unhappy and begin to eat emotionally
3. They over eat or take up a poor diet
4. They in way, stop caring about their appearance
I do not think that marriage makes people fat. Then again, I'm skinny and not married so what do I know...
~Carrie B.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:10:56 PM
Fortunately wannabe writer... you look wonderful. ;)
 wannabe_writer
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:14:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^Why thank you Adam very nice of you to say.......I feel wonderful as well!

Dru
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:15:12 PM
I believe it to be a number of reasons. 1. They may have always had a weight problem, but when your single, it's a higher priority to keep in shape so you can find that special someone. I have noticed that married people don't usually get fat until they have had children. There are obvious reasons why the woman will gain weight, but why won't she loose it afterwards? Probably becuase motherhood is a lot of work, and by the end of the day you don't feel like exercising at all, your whipped and beaten. so a bowl of ice cream on the couch infront of the TV feels great.

I think it has more to do with keeping in shape is a higher priority for single people than married people and definately a higher priority for parents.
 Say Hi to David
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:18:48 PM
Carrie Bradshaw
I know that the media likes to make us think that married people gain more weight than single people. How accurate is that?

There is actually a large body of data on this. I don't recall the specific source but I do remember two general points:

* People gain weight after marriage far greater than age-matched singles.
* Women gain more weight after marriage (lbs. and % of body weight).
 Mani
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:21:02 PM
people get fat cause they are lazy (except for medical reasons) and have low self esteem. i don't know if there is a true correlation between getting maried and putting on the weigth, but if there is, i would say it's only because they get lazy, and get sucked into their own boring routine.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do people get fat after marriage?