Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Different types of religion, how many are there? What are they?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rawkkitty
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Different types of religion, how many are there? What are they?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Well I am curious about how many religions are out ther and what they are all about.What brought you to decide on the religion you follow? I would also like to see peoples views on life if they consider themselves not to be part of a religion.
 Guy Ledouche
Msg: 2
Different types of religion, how many are there? What are they?
Posted: 6/6/2006 11:39:00 AM
Cut n' Paste:

The exact number of religions in the world is unknown. Best estimates place the number around 4200. Of this number, a dozen have been classified as “major world religions.” The following list mentions the twelve major world religions in alphabetical order:

Baha’I (7 million adherents)
Buddhism (360 million)
Christianity (2 billion)
Confucianism (6 million)
Hinduism (900 million)
Islam (1.3 billion)
Jainism (4 million)
Judaism (14 million)
Shinto (4 million)
Sikhism (23 million)
Daoism (2.7 million)
Zoroastrianism (150,000)

Personally I'm leaning towards Judaism, like Jesus -For various reasons. However, I have a passing interest in Islam. Christianity is too tainted and I'm not sure which of this list is of the monotheist variety.
 Haleth
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/6/2006 12:43:54 PM
There are many as has been mentioned above. I was raised "New Age". My parents are very spiritual, though I suppose you could find many parallels in those who are considered religious. One of their beliefs was that my siblings and I should be raised to believe what we wanted to. It was understood that when we were old enough to decide, we would choose our own religion.

I chose Taosim (Daoism, Dhaoism, whatever). Its tenets fit my beliefs perfectly. Resound in me, even. How pretentious, right? But it suits me, and like my mother, I believe we should all have the opportunity to find that which is right for us, without the bindings that most religions upbringings place on us; "THIS is right, THAT is wrong."
 zenandtheartof
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/6/2006 2:02:46 PM
Cool Haleth don't meet very many Taoists always a pleasure. As for the number of religions out there I think there are as many religions as there are people.
 rawkkitty
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2006 2:39:43 PM
Well thanks you guys. :) I always like to hear peoples opinions and life experiences and to learn from them. Cant wait to hear more.
 ScubaJay
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2006 5:27:32 PM
well let us not forget about all those pagan religions out there as well. Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Babylonian, Summerian, Asatru (Norse) and Druidry (Celtic) and Wicca and WitchCraft. to name but a few.

I was raised catholic but never fit in, Now I follow the Druidic Path

neseemoo
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/6/2006 7:40:36 PM
And then there are those of us who are discovering our own.
 RDtoo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2006 9:42:53 PM
True. To some the worship of self is a religion. In fact, I would say self as more worshippers than the 12 major religions combined.
 alaska2004
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/8/2006 12:46:39 AM
For Christian religions, registered names for Christian religions, 33,000 plus world wide.
 Lord Dave
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/8/2006 7:41:37 PM
And people wonder why others question the accuracy of any given religious text...
 sum1reel
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/10/2006 5:23:54 PM
religions are a dime a dozen.........the goal is to know what religion is about!....religion is not supposed to be club by which someone defines themselves by........it should serve only as a pathway to understanding the creator.......it is only a stepping stone in order that one can graduate into becoming a spirit-being!.............this is what Jesus illustrated!

if your religion is stagnant or it is restrictive and authoritarian then i suggest you get out....in such a setting there is no room for spiritual growth or critical thinking!
 Lord Dave
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/10/2006 7:45:25 PM
Any religion that tells you how things are is restrictive.
Any religion that tells you that you will go to hell for not believing is authoritive.

Since most religions use a reward punishment sytem to get people to worship them it stands to reason that only a few are actually pathways to spiritual enlightenment. Jeusus was probably one of them. The religion that worships him is not.
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/10/2006 8:04:37 PM
Anything with too much dogma and inflexibility is not for me. Im within nature-based spiritualities, the only word to describe it accurately that I can think of is Animism...which could be considered quite primitive to say, wordy text-based religions; not to say I dont like scholarly approaches, I was a member of the Golden Dawn; but because they tried to throw in some politics, I abandoned them, but not the knowledge I gained.Mixing politics and religion is just too dangerous. Mysticism, metaphysics, esoterics, hermetics is all encompassing, its in every religion, its just difficult to synthesize it all; Jungian concepts work well for me in that area. So basically I study as many traditions as I can, and find the common threads; then the experiences themselves.
Religion-its not a term I like or trust. Spirituality is a better approach, IMHO
 Philosophers Stone
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/11/2006 1:25:15 AM
If you take two random people who profess to be of the same religion, I would bet quite a bit that there are many points about said religion that those two individuals would disagree strongly on.

Faith is a personal thing and as such, it is largely unique to the person.

I personally am a devout agnostic. It is my position that faith is a hinderance to my progress as a human being and I avoid it in all of its forms. Yes I do still take some things on faith, such as the idea that I am who I think I am and I have lived the life I think I have lived. I have no scientific proof of that but I accept it as truth.

I do not however feel that my path is the path that all should follow. For many religion is greatly needed in their lives and without it they would suffer more than with it. Whether the reasons for this are spiritual or just similar to needing a security blanket is something I could only speculate on.

I have studied many religions in my time and have a little knowledge about a lot of them, but only a lot of knowledge of a very select few that tend to recur in conversations with the followers.

Taoism is more of a philosophy than a religion, but it is a philosophy that some people have adapted to religious rituals and structure. I used to consider myself pretty close to Taoist at one point. I wouldn't say I really grew out of it, just away. I have a lot of respect for the Taoist way of life and I will always carry a part of that in me.

I have gone on a bit longer than intended but I hope this is along the lines of what you were looking for in the OP.
 sum1reel
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/11/2006 10:33:23 AM
^

[-I do not however feel that my path is the path that all should follow. For many religion is greatly needed in their lives and without it they would suffer more than with it. Whether the reasons for this are spiritual or just similar to needing a security blanket is something I could only speculate on.-]

.........i respect your open-mindedness!
 errnst
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/11/2006 10:24:48 PM
there are a ton of religions,
i dont follow any
i borrow from many,
 Spelly
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/12/2006 7:12:17 AM
This has been, in the past, a less than popular opinion (usually by those who follow a very strict path), but here goes..........the Divine is the Divine whether you reach for God, Allah, Mother Goddess, Buddha....well, you get the idea. Someone once said we are spiritual beings having a human experience and that really resonated with me. The dear friend who pointed me towards the path I am now on (pagan) was the truest Christian I ever met. It mattered not that my path was different than his ~ what mattered was that I had a path to walk.

So, to get back on track, I think that most if not all religions are heading too the same placeand if people could just recognize that things would be a lot easier in the world.....because I don't know of ANY divine figure that would condone war in their name.

Bono said it best.......I don't know about you Mr but my God isn't short on cash.....

Spelly
 CountIbli
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/12/2006 7:40:35 AM
I doubt if any two people exactly agree on religion, so I'd put the figure roughly at 6 billion.
 squirrly
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/12/2006 8:59:56 AM
According to the editors of the "World Christian Encyclopedia:
A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200,
" there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups"

Christianity.........2,039 million 32% (dropping)
Islam.................1,226 million 19% (growing)
Hinduism...............828 million 13% (stable)
No religion.............775 million 12% (dropping)
Chinese folk rel.......390 million 6%
Buddhism...............364 million 6% (stable)
Tribal Religions........232 million 4%
Atheists ................150 million 2%
New religions...........103 million 2%
Sikhism....................23.8 million <1%
Judaism ..................14.5 million <1%
Spiritism..................12.6 million <1%
Baha'i.......................7.4 million <1%
Confucianism.............6.3 million <1%
Jainism.....................4.3 million <1%
Zoroastrianism...........2.7 million <1%
Shinto......................2.7 million <1%
Taoism.....................2.7 million <1%
Other Various............1.1 million <1%
Wicca......................0.5 million? <1%

data based on census or public opinion data from religioustolerance.org. Unfortunately its based on the year 2000 but its a guideline I guess.

This is an interesting comment from the same website :
At current rates, Islam will overtake Christianity as the world's dominant religion
later in the 21st century.

oh and in answer to the OP's last question. I am not part of any organized religion so I
guess I fit in the "no religion" category and lean more towards humanism. Why? because
I have had some experience with man made religion.
 skypoetone
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/12/2006 2:36:52 PM
Nothing unusual here... After running a treadmill of denominations I became my own religion, because it's the only one that makes sense to me.
 Lord Dave
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/12/2006 3:06:28 PM
No religion and athiests are really the same thing.
 JacksSmerkingRevenge
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/12/2006 3:09:37 PM
Not having a religion doesn't preclude the possibility of believing in a god.
 Philosophers Stone
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/12/2006 4:46:40 PM

No religion and athiests are really the same thing.

I disagree.

Atheists are a subset of those who have no religion but not everyone who has no religion is an atheist.

The distinction between atheist and agnostic for instance, while minor, is still there. There is no atheistic equivalent of a theistic agnotic just as there is no agnostic equivalent of a hard atheist.

A minor point to be sure, but one I felt needed to be made.
 goodmancatch
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/13/2006 12:32:14 AM
Over 2000 religions to date!
 Chamounix
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:16:23 PM
To: Squirrly

Thanks for all that Info. Always good to know. Which is the Oldest Religion? And I feel that Religion is a Form of Power. What do you all think of that?

There is always History in the Making Because Of Religion.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Different types of religion, how many are there? What are they?