Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kitkat45
Msg: 1
Men over 55!Page 1 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
I have now seen a few posts from you folks who say that men over 55 are more or less into fantasy and not the dating scene! If this is true, then I only have a few years left as a datable commodity! lol....Is this really true???
 Mayor
Msg: 2
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 6:59:36 AM
I'll have to get back to you in four years. But For now I'm still trying to be Datable.
 kitkat45
Msg: 3
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 7:09:57 AM
Good man Mayer! lol Keep on keepin on!
 squirrly
Msg: 4
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 8:30:26 AM
I think it depends how long they have been on their own. If it's a while then they do seem to get set in their ways and live in some kind of fantasy so that real women come as a shock to them LOL. The ones that have been out of a relationship about 3 - 5 yrs seem to be more realistic and therefore dateable.
 kitkat45
Msg: 5
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 8:43:57 AM
OMG! Pitty Seeking Thread! Reason for deletion? Come on an give me a break! I was just commenting about some posts that I have seen that indicate men 55 and over are not into dating or a relationship, more like a fantasy! I don't need anyone's pity thank you very much! Tis no wonder no one posts here anymore...Not worth the anguish!
 cdn_musicman
Msg: 6
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 8:49:47 AM
Aaahh geez, OP ... sorry. Apparently, not everyone 'got' what you were saying. You got my vote to keep this thread going. I think it's going to bring up some interesting posts. I'd reply to your thread directly, but right now, my "dating scene" IS fantasy (lol).

cdn guy
 The Lady
Msg: 7
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:21:26 AM
Excellent thread Kitkat!

For the most part, I find that men my age are looking for a hot babe. I don't even want to recall how many times I've heard a man say that grey/greying hair is a turn off, a few extra pounds is a turn off, the wrinkles are a turn off....

and they don't stop to think that they've just described themselves.
 kitkat45
Msg: 8
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 9:55:39 AM
Well truly! Age should not be a reason why one would give up hope of meeting/dating someone? We all need that special something regardless of age!
 Eldermint
Msg: 9
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 10:21:30 AM
Not all men over 55 are living in a fantasy world, a lot have just given up, same as a lot of women. SOME will settle for whatever they can find. MANY of us are still trying to find meaningful, full and complete, long term relationships. Physical flaws can be overlooked ... sometimes. I've heard people say looks shouldn't matter. OK, shouldn't but in point of fact they do, saying otherwise is c**p. I can handle a few extra pounds, many men/women mark themselves "average" when it's just a few and that's OK. What I personally can't take is a pear shape. Sorry, it's just not attractive to me and why would I want to spend the next 25 years with someone who's not attractive to me? Hello? In the final analysis, looks aren't half as important as a sensual attitude and demeanor. If you can be masculine/feminine and also sensual then, even if you're "average", you're going to be sexy and attractive. There's someone there; we just can't give up.
 coug4
Msg: 10
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 10:28:51 AM
Kit;

Unfortunately, at our age we become very particular about what we will accept and what we won't. Milk lasts longer than a lot of relationships.
 tralala
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 10:56:29 AM
Men at the tender age of 55 are very sexy.

Men at the age of 60 are also very sexy.

Be yourself and don't worry about what other people think.

If they label ya, then they probably have their own issues to work on.

Enjoy being you............
 Awesomeone54
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 11:06:24 AM
I was depressed reading all this stuff about men over 55 only wanting fantasy. I think it doesn't matter so much about the age...its how long they (men or women) have been alone....you get stuck in your ways and it gets harder to let someone in and compromise. I have been living alone (well, youngest son was still home until nine months ago...now totally alone except the animals..lol...crazy old cat lady!!).......

I don't know what the cut off point is....I am afraid if I am not there, I am pretty close....but when you get used to livng alone, and at our age, change becomes harder.....I can imagine after so long, you like the fantasy of having it all again, but the fear of having the bad parts we all escaped at some point in our lives....scare us out of it. But then, Ihave not met the "right one"....have not met anyone I would let into my life permanently.

I prefer not to believe that after 55, men only want fantasy. My fantasy world is what made it easier to get this far...can't let go now. Who knows...I am the type that if you say I can't ...I have to show you just to prove you wrong....so watch you fellow old timers..lol....(joking...strange sense of humor...)
 tralala
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 11:16:36 AM
I've heard the word "fantasy" mentioned here in this thread more than once.

Fantasy is the want to have the lawn mowed properly and all hand trimmed, not using a weed eatter.

Ah, my dream come true........... by a man, any man.

Sorry if i got off topic abit.
 Spirit50
Msg: 14
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 11:33:42 AM
I am over 55 and I enjoy dating , now if only I could get a nice lady to consent to one I'd be in heaven
 Ron9
Msg: 15
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 12:19:14 PM
I can’t speak for anyone else but - I personally think it is hogwash. Some bitter gal on another thread was trying to spread that poppyc@ck.

Maybe I don’t get the drift of how “fantasy” is being used. IF people are implying the guys (guys over 55) are in a fantasy world about who they should - should not be interested in (AKA the same old shallow bullcrud) then don’t try to cover it up with other wording.

The ONLY problem for me is ...... the actual “supply” of gals over 45 that I could see myself being with long term. I’ve worked from a home office for like 18 years now - I just do not see many gals at all.

MANY - I need to say that again MANY of the 50ish females that I could be interested in - plaster their desires for YOUNG GUYS all over the many - I need to say MANY again - all over the MANY younger guys for older gals threads. I try to read all those threads to “scratch off” (my potential list) the many (many again) gals I see posting stuff like “I just seem to attract the young stud muffins - I just can’t help it - I just look too hot”.

So ......... my bottom line is - I am looking for a long term relationship with a REAL female (not fantasy) that looks nice to me (TO ME) - (puts on boots for all the shallow crud to follow). If she has put her desires for young guys on the threads (or on her profile by showing age ranges) - she won’t do. Once I know that I would be concerned about it FOREVER. If she is too far out of shape - she would not do. If she is looking for some kind of sugar daddy she would not do.

To me this is just like high school - the ages are different - the body tones are different - the parts are sagging some - but it is the VERY SAME THING to me. Billie meets Susie.

YES - it is harder at my age but ............. I am the very same guy I was when I was 17 and not “going with” a gal. I was looking for “my” girl friend.
 squirrly
Msg: 16
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 12:30:44 PM
bravo ron9, good to see you know what you want but that goes both ways.

your profile says you are looking for women 12 - 4 yrs younger than you. So if a woman put that you would be put off her but have you considered that a woman might read yours and feel the same way?
 Ron9
Msg: 17
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 1:20:02 PM
Yeah - call me Mr. Double Standard all you want to. I still wear Levi jeans not the new fangled Wranglers. I still think the guy should be bigger than the gal (both height and weight) and the guy should be OLDER than the gal.

The oldest female I have EVER been around is now 47 years old - I was married to her for 17 years.

All the equal NOW WOMAN - stuff can be used on someone else. I am too old to change and too old to let politically correct (PC) change my mind about what I am looking for.
 Lnstarkiss
Msg: 18
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 1:51:21 PM
Irl, men over 55 seem to be coming out of the woodwork. It's only on dating sites there is a dearth. The biggest challenge is to find one who is semi-healthy, isn't worshipping at the alter of his deceased wife, isn't bitter about his divorce, or isn't still trying to find a career that fits him.
 coug4
Msg: 19
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 2:34:07 PM
Geez Kit...now you've gone and done it. You've got Ron all worked up.
 okiedokietxxx
Msg: 20
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 3:24:21 PM
NOT BREATHING IS A TURN-OFF TO ME.
 okiedokietxxx
Msg: 21
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 3:32:07 PM
I THINK SOMEONE ON HERE IS STILL LIVING IN THE PAST,(NO NAMES) BUT I WEAR SOXS ON MY FEET. SHOES OVER MY FEET. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, THEY ARE STILL JUST FEET. WHAT YOU WEAR, WHAT YOU THINK A MAN IS VS A WOMAN AND ON AND ON DOES'NT MAKE YOU 40. YOU'RE STILL 55.
 horselady48
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 4:22:38 PM
From my experience, I don't find this to be true but I would like more experience
 Esperanza143
Msg: 23
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 6:39:03 PM
Kit...I had not dated a man older than me in last ten years..
I decided that I needed to re-evaluate that philosophy , as I felt the time for fun and party had come to an end, so I decided to be open to men older...first up is 7 years older than myself, told me he'd dance circles around me...he is retired, but works still in summer....
We do a lot of things like walks in park, lying on beach, outdoors, but not high level activities.
He seems content to do things like that....and he also does bring up my propensity for younger men more often that I really find amusing.
He is content to date every two weeks, chat online most every day...for me...I'd prefer a bit more contact and activity together, but since I am being committed to exploring this option...I will give it a good honest effort...so far I am content....
 kitkat45
Msg: 24
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 6:58:51 PM
Well that is good Esp! Take it one step at a time! I was just pondering what I have read here in the over 45! What with the saying, and i have seen it more than once, that if a man is 55 or over, then he lives in a fantasy world and does not want to date! I truly disagree with that statement for sure!
 Esperanza143
Msg: 25
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/14/2006 1:56:31 PM
Kit...take it all back....he was in fantasy world....woke up and realized his wife was still in the picture...lmao
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55!