Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 el_bombero
Msg: 1
The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
(Excluding the 'bedroom' communities outside of Winnipeg, of course.)

Which part of Winnipeg do you live in? What are the good and bad points? Which areas are desirable or undesirable, and why?

-eB
 Little Pheonix
Msg: 2
The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?
Posted: 6/19/2006 9:28:05 PM
I live 4 blocks away from McPhillips close to Mountain.This area still considered the north end, it's great.Mostly older people around,quiet,not a heavy traffic area,and very clean. Living around seniors they are like watch dogs...but that's great...and they all have gardens which they share,so my choice...north end.
 Smokey Da Bear
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/19/2006 9:59:26 PM
Right next door to Little Pheonix. So you can cut her grass and do other yard maintenance chores for free.
 kimkina
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/19/2006 10:23:27 PM
River Heights is Where it's AT baby!!
Beautiful mature trees that create a lush canopy over the streets; character homes line the streets and no two are the same; every second house has a dog and everyone gets out and about walking with them and their children; close to Assiniboine Park; can take a nice walk down the Crescent...; close to EVERYTHING! .... except the places you really wouldn't wanna' go.... like Transcona!
 Vlvt_Drmr_N_Smilin_eyes
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/19/2006 10:41:10 PM
Transcona...just cause it's Planet T!!! I have had to grudgingly relocate to a not so great part of town...violence and I swear, I can count sirens by the hour, Ia m just waiting to find the apartmetn I want in Planet T...low crime, clean area, active community life, great public schools,and stop signs on every block.... :P ok, not quite a great thing... but it's a fact...You can take the girl out of Transcona, but you can't take Transcona out of the girl...
 Smokey Da Bear
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/19/2006 10:51:16 PM
Lindenwoods

No leaves to rake up in the fall
I can walk from Safeways, Walmart and Canuck Tire.(Like that'll be the day)
I can stagger home from The Keg
 Little Pheonix
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/20/2006 12:26:00 AM
OT Nothing is free Smokey,i'll feed ya and provide beverages....yes alcoholic....only when the job is done.
 WigglesInMyKinkiBoots
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/20/2006 12:33:20 AM
No wolseley area is the place to be.

Gorgeous trees, tons of kids sometimes even a blast from the past if your old enough. Hippies, and new style ppl all over the place. Block parties , communitee centers for the kids wonderful schools and yes even in wolseley area we spray for skeeters now.

its right in the middle almost. 15 minutes from down town, polopark, grant park, assiniboine {sp} park and one of the main streets is clsoed down on sundays and holidays as a bike path.

Only bad part of the wolseley area is the trees when itis canker worm season they hang like curtains from the trees over the sidewalks and road

I will now behave_sigh
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/20/2006 1:06:00 AM
i live in west Kildonan, near the river, very quiet and nice...

O.T.

ohh and pheonix, i would volunteer to cut your grass but your dogs would bite my ankles...
 Little Pheonix
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/20/2006 1:09:26 AM
OT Ha Mark.My dogs luv ya,what are you talking about.
 Munkeechi
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:28:47 AM
I'm in Charleswood and despite what people think of it, it's NOT a rich area of town. My area of charleswood has your regular homes like you'd find in areas of any neighbourhood. I love my community because I'm right on the perimeter with nothing behind my house, so I get the most beautiful unobstructed views of the sunset at night.. and being able to watch the thunderstorms come for miles is amazing..

We're a little removed from things, takes a while to get to any decent mall... but you know your neighbours, can leave your car unlocked at night (although I don't ever do it!) and never have to worry about someone walking down your street that might not look so trustworthy... It's a clean area... you get to know a lot of people here quickly since it's so small..

worst thing though... the bus service here SUCKS It takes an HOUR to get downtown by bus.... absolutely insane
 I will now behave_sigh
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:32:27 AM
wow, Charleswood... sounds a lot like Mayberry... tell me, can you go down to the fishin' hole and catch come catfish as well?.... :):)
 Munkeechi
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:35:29 AM
lol well the Assiniboine is 4 blocks away... Not sure you'd get a cat, but you'd probably get a sewagefish...
 I will now behave_sigh
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:36:38 AM
i need one of those for my collection... lol
 WpgWmn
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:39:33 AM
I too, live in the West Kildonan area...have the big mature trees as well, the street that gets closed along the river on Sunday's for walking and biking, a police station just down the street (no crime on my street..lol), and the area is mixed with young and seniors, and the lawn are nice and cleanly kept...I love this area.

OT: Mark I would say you could volunteer to cut my grass, and my dogs love you too, but you can't even cut your own lawn...so, I will just my own myself...lol

Edit: this is deadlyeye...appears Rugburn didn't log out when she last used my computer.
 witty_
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/20/2006 6:44:10 AM
I live on the edge of River Heights in a condo apartment. I love the area. Only 6 km for me to go to work. Close to Polo Park, easy to get downtown....

Downfall? I have to drive Rte 90 everyday, and yes the trains. But hopefully, the underpass will help with that.
 sally0
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/20/2006 7:09:59 AM
Charleswood. And Munkeechi is right about it being an affordable place. And it's the only place in the city that you can drive up to a 4-way stop and the person who was there first just waves you on. So neighbourly!

I also like Riverview area, grew up there. Might even move back there one of these days.
 Simon Belmont
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/20/2006 7:56:57 AM
I guess it all depends on perspective and what you want out of life.

Relatively young, single, and sociable? I would have to say Downtown SOUTH of Portage Ave; Broadway area between Osborne and Main St. Osborne Village & Corydon are very nice areas for young and single people to live.

Married? Kids? Looking to tone down to social life in exchange for backyard BBQ's and neighbourly potlucks? I have lived in Island Lakes for many years, so I have to give my nod of approval for people looking to settle down and get dry raped in property tax.
Bonus knowledge: if you head 4-5 minutes south of here on Hwy 59 you'll hit Grande Pointe, where the neighbourhoods are tranquil and property taxes are waaaaaaay lower since it is outside of Winnipeg.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2006 8:08:32 AM
OK !!

First of all ....the Osborne/Corydon is not a great place for young singles, only !!! It is also a great place for "old" fart singles as well. The only place where you can "flash" and no one notices...LOL!!!

Actually I was wondering whether some of you attractive females could be a little more specific about where you love to live....maybe a house number....and ...oh yes...please keep your blinds open...LOL!!!
 Fiery Phoenix
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/20/2006 8:57:34 AM
Several years back I lived right in the smack-center of the rockin' Corydon!!! Stupid me was too shy to go out and experience its "life" on my own... stayed in and listened to all the fun happening around me...
I hope to end up living in that area again someday and make up for all that wasted time... Corydon and its surrounding area... ROCKS!!!
 big_sexxy
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/20/2006 8:59:18 AM
Corydon Rocks?

Urban Reserves rock....just ask Coors!
 funwpgguy
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/20/2006 10:55:49 AM
I need to be central. I see the advantages of the newer homes which are in newer areas, but, when push comes to shove I never end up moving there cuz I need the trees. Also like being a 5 min bike ride to everything. I think I will stay in the corydon osborne area.
 jdguy
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/20/2006 11:04:13 AM
I think you have to love St B especially the Marion part of it. Quiet neighborhoods, more affordable housing, close to downtown or to St vital centre if you are a shopper. Really close trails for walks with the significant other, or to take the mountain bike out for a spin. Can see the fireworks from the forks with out having to fight traffic. Seems like a good mix of ages, with lots of kids, but not dominated by young famlies. All in all i have loved living in St B, been here since 93 ( before that was transcona, which was actualy a good place to grow up, at least until i wanted to travel to other parts of the city, and realised i needed to pack a lunch and take my passport) and cant see living anywhere else ( unless i move to one of the little communites just outside of town of course lol)
 MyKidsDad66
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2006 12:08:50 PM
I'm out in Richmond West. Nice neighborhood for raising children with plenty of green space and quiet roads. The development out in this end of town has made all sorts of amenities spring up around the area so there is no need to go far for anything.
 Fiery Phoenix
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/20/2006 12:24:46 PM
FunWpgGuy: X-cellent choice!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > The best Winnipeg neighbourhoods in which to live? Why?