Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > retiring overseas      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 99seattle
Msg: 1
view profile
History
retiring overseasPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Is anyone here retired, and are living somewhere other than their 'home' country?

If so, where, and has it been a good or bad experience?
 historiandan
Msg: 2
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 12:41:19 AM
I'm not.....yet. But I AM considering it, and one of the best places for the good ol' USA dollar seems to be Phillipines. I have good friends there who have helped research it with me. Try this, Just out of Manila, gated community (upscale), guard, cook, maid, pool, two story furnished condo, driver, food, internet, electricity, phone and sat tv..........$672 a month......HONEST.
 moraima
Msg: 3
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 6:20:18 AM
I am working on it. Country of my choice is one of the safest in the world. Vivas must be renewed every two months. A car purchased must be resold back before you leave the country......a problem for me. So far, this country has no retirement status for foreigners, so I am working to change that. The country I want to retire to is Cuba. OUr governments are working to open up retirement for Canadians in Cuba. Only issue is that foreigners can't yet buy property, because there isn't enough property available for their citizens yet. I can however, stay for $18. a day, at a beautiful Cuban style resort. Will have to improve my Spanish and learn to cook their foods. The people already accept me, and I work in various Canadian/Cuban projects, so this help a lot.
 ksue44
Msg: 4
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 7:44:41 AM
I'm not quite ready to retire, however I'm looking at retiring in Belize. I really loved it when I was there. The good ol USA is getting way too expensive!
 BMWBri
Msg: 5
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 7:54:32 AM
I plan on it. When I get out of Nursing school I plan on scoping out places like Ice Land, Ireland, Findland... Northen Europe..far northen, But I don't know where I'll really end up.. Somewhere that (political statement) but that's not here any more. Big grin, Brian
 Cybury
Msg: 6
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 8:24:04 AM
@moraima

castro has to die sooner or later and its my bet that when that day comes I would not be at all surprised to see cuba request to join Canada as a new province.
 moraima
Msg: 7
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 5:52:57 PM
cybury..........you obviously are unaware to the Cuban people's history, have never attended any of their election, seen the round table discussion on Cuban TV nightly, where any Cuban can phone Castro personal. Please check the UN website for a true version of what the Cuban people are all about, and the fact that Casto has a huge majority support in Cuba.

My favourite Quote from a Cuban women who works daily with foreigners was: "I only wish people would understand that the Cuban people are very courageous, and if the Cuban people didn't want Castro in power, he wouldn't be".

Hopefully, you were only kidding with your response.

Question: Did you see Castro attending Trudeau's funeral?

Becare what you speak out about.

Suggest you goggle (Canadian) Canadian Friends of Cuba, etc. You will find Canadian's who work with Cuba do not appreciate people who promote this type of misinformation.

I also accepted what I had been taught by the media. When I went there my eyes were opened to the real truth.

I don't mean to single you out, by this type of sterotyping causes much grief to many people.

All political systems are make up of good and bad, ours included. Less we try to understand the reality of the situation, we risk liberating people who don't want to be liberated.
 Cybury
Msg: 8
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 6:33:18 PM
and saddam Hussein wone 99% of the popular vote in his last election

ever hear what happens to cubans who don't support castro?
 captnjimbo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 6:37:14 PM
There are a lot of places one can retire. I have lived in several, ( or anchored) and lived until my visa expired. Most 3rd world countries are quite inexpensive. The countries that made up the former Yugoslovia are wonderful. All of Central America and some of South America are good for the budget conscious. Some of Asia and some of the island nations of the Pacific fit into this catagory. I do have an advantage as I do take my home with me and anchoring is always free.
 tralala
Msg: 10
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 6:46:29 PM
to you moraima....... when you do this, and retire in Cuba, will you become a cuban and live as they do? In total poverty and give up your citizenship to become a cuban? and then you could never leave. Are you bringing your money? Or are ya leaving it at home? being Canada? If ya truly want to live there...... as they say, "if in rome, do as the romans do"

As you say, "all political systems are make up of good and bad". Do you choose Fidel?

Southern Florida has really great warm tropical weather.

And, you say that Fidel has a huge majority in Cuba, i wonder why.

Any Cuban can phone Fidel personal? Which payphone do they go to? If they can afford the dime.

I'm sure your a very nice person, wanting the best for the peoples that don't have.
 Muskoka Gold
Msg: 11
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 7:03:09 PM
captnjimbo

There are lots of places one can retire as I am retired in Canada but looking for other possibilities in a warmer clime.....tell us more. Been to the former Yugoslavia during the uprising at the onset when the Croatians were fighting the Serbs. A vacationing Canadian on the Adriatic in a country of unrest. I flew into Zagreb and immediately evacuated by the military to Dubrovinic. But, I was in Montenegro during the takeover. Is it safe now? For the budget concious, what do you suggest in "eden" ?

Muskoka

sum1reel
Msg: 12
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/17/2006 7:14:55 PM
well.......i hope to retire in Iraq(soon to be the 51st state)some day.....i'm tellin ya....the cost of living is unbeatable!......its always sunny, no rain snow or tornados...just sun and wind!

i've just heard that both, the shiites and the sunnis want our presence to remain.....man, its great to be loved!!!!

*buzz*
Msg: 13
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/18/2006 11:14:40 PM
No, my retirement age is a bit far away but I do live in a country that was originally planned only to be a 'stop over' on the way back to tropics. Fate struck and the life changed beyond belief.

Well, since living here for quite a some time, I've come across lots of articles of people retiring overseas. I know, medias are full of horror stories.
I don't know if I would like to retire to a different country leave friends and family behind. I've done it once in the name of love.

Anyway, people who did retired overseas are well off and those who succeeded & are happy are those who established themselves over there in some ways, whether they run some B&B ... but they definitely have some other ex-pats in their vicinity.

Interesting thread .
 moraima
Msg: 14
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/19/2006 5:12:19 AM
In Cuba, they are only just starting putting in digital phone system. International phone calls must to rooted through China because China is the only country because of the US embargo who will allow Cuba to use their underwater optic system. Costs for cell phones are very high. Most Cuban's who homes I have been in have landlines in their homes. Phones are given out on a basis of need. Ie. doctors, nurses, emergency workers, hydro workers etc. get technology first.

I live both in the resorts and in the people's home.

Yes, I would accept Cuban poverty, to be part of a society that is happier than our society.

Presently, (just like most countries) at my age, the only was I can become a citizen is by marriage.

Canada can't just let anyone become a citizen. This is the same everywhere.

Before becoming involved with the people of Cuba, I thought just like every body else about Cuba and Castro. I believed what the media taught me. I have seen with my own eyes that things are very different in Cuba than what the media says.

I was in Havana, and watched CNN on location there, reporting the opposite to what was happening.

If pofers don't want to believe me, that is ok. I now, only believe what I see with my own eyes.

I work with the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa. Just like every country on earth, Cuba has many regulations. If we ask why a country has these rules, we usually find that there is a logical reason.

If other don't believe what I am saying, that certainly is there right.
 Scotchlassie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:12:57 AM
I live and work in a retirement commumity, and so often retired folks move here, only to move back to where they came from within a short period of time. They seem to have a very difficult time adjusting to the newness of it all and they really miss their friends.
So I'm left wondering if moving to another country is such a good idea?
 moraima
Msg: 16
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:52:32 AM
My last family member died in Feb. I have been waiting for when my finally responsibility as a caregiver would end, so that I could make definate plans.

I have many good, long time Ladyfriends that I still want to spend time with during the year.

My plan is the return summers, and visit them.

Most have offered me a bedroom for the summer. Only problem is that most of my friends eventually want to move to other countries ie. Africa.

Hey, the grass may not be greener, but the cost of living can be much more affordable.

I can't take the heat in tropical countries during the summer months due to a medical problem.

As we have found out, war can come to any country. This has to be a consideration.
 captnjimbo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/19/2006 6:57:30 PM
The countries of the former Yugoslavia are being "discovered" as really great vacation places, especially along the coast, costs are rising there. Inland it is still great and living is cheap. Politically things are quite settled and getting better as they figure out how to get along and squeeze the $ out of tourists. Good places to retire are, as a group, 3rd world countries. There are enclaves of foreign retirees in many countries. The trick is to find a country that one likes and an enclave of your nationallity. Be prepared for culture shock however. A good idea may be to travel to various countries and check them out. Make more that a few trips. English is basically the world language now but to make one's life easier it is good to learn the native language of whatever country one chooses to reside.
Personally, I'm looking forward to visiting the island nations of the Pacific. To retire and stay in one place, living on the hard in house? I'm sorry, I don't understand the concept!
 moraima
Msg: 18
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/19/2006 9:04:30 PM
I love to see all the adventurous natures of the retires.

For me, I stay as far away from the "enclaves of foreign retirees in many countries", as I can.

I like to soak up all the energy of the local people. Made the most amazing friends that way, had so many advertures, am always treated with the utmost of respect.

Guess what - they refuse my $'s. It is my friendship and company they want.

Each to his/her own. We all need to be in our comfort zone.

Not many would enjoy how I spend my vacation time. For me that makes it even more special.
 Muskoka Gold
Msg: 19
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/20/2006 6:12:44 AM
I just got an email from a gentleman from the US that has retired in Thailand.He referred me to websites of the city & the accomodations/prices he's in. Must admit it does look interesting and it offers short term stays from 1 month to a year.
Anyway, I'm with captnjimbo and the South Pacific would be my next destination, especially the out of the way islands. I'm just finding it difficult to find reasonably priced ( but nice) accommodation on the net and decent maps, transportation etc. I don't like using tour companies. Anyone have any suggestions?
I agree with Mori, I like to get to know the locals and I've made many friends in the Caribbean esp. St. Lucia. Of course they always want me to come back and that's hard because I want to see other destinations.

Muskoka
 moraima
Msg: 20
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/20/2006 6:48:10 AM
Muskoka - can I carry you bags to Thailand?

morie
 captnjimbo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/20/2006 8:14:35 PM
I've found, from keeping records that in 3rd world countries, it costs me $1.50us/day to live plus booze if desired. Usually hard liquor and wine is much cheaper that . Ok there is the price of a cruising sailboat, but then one has their home with them. Visas vary in cost from country to country and have vareing restrictions and some countries discourage permanent immigration. In some countries, one posessing desired skills may find restrictions somewhat less restricting. Then there is a question of medical availability if this is important to you. Me, I just like to keep experiencing new cultures, new foods ( that may be getting to be a stretch now), meeting new people.
 matrices
Msg: 22
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/20/2006 8:53:32 PM
I think I should check on the taste of cat food...retiring to an other country means you have the means to do this...what about us poor dimwits that for some reason or another are doomed to work 'till we are eighty...Please stop torturing us with this......PS I have been to third world countries and if all you see is cheap help around the palace...shame on you.....
 moraima
Msg: 23
view profile
History
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/20/2006 9:02:36 PM
FYI Getting a Cuban passport is not difficult. Went through the process with a Cuban girlfriend, so I saw it first hand. Hard part is that a lot of foreign countries including Canada will not give visitor visa's to Cubans unless they already have family here. Work visas can be easier for a Cuban to get. I faught the Canadian Government to being my best Cuban girlfriend here for a months holiday, but they flat refused. I know many Cuban women who have been refused both visitor and work visas for Canada. Have seen the paperwork, so I know that the reason's given where a crock. Pretty much the only way for a Cuban to get a visitor vista for Canada is to marry a Canadian. The only way I can get Cuban citizen is to marry a Cuban, which I am not interested in doing.

Media tell us that Cuban's can't leave (untrue), and the story that the medica doesn't tell is that most countries won't allow them in.

I do have many Cuban friends that have emigrated to England, Franch and Spain.
 kitkat45
Msg: 24
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/20/2006 9:13:22 PM
I would truly love to travel loads more when my kidlets leave the nest. To retire in a foreign country though, leaving kids, friends and siblings behind? I don't really think I could handle it! But again, I swear, I am gonna hit the nearest plane outta here the day after retirement! Get myself by the ocean, a mojito in hand, and just soak it all in babies! Woohoo!
 Celticmist
Msg: 25
retiring overseas
Posted: 7/20/2006 9:40:40 PM
I love my country and the changes of seasons - I am staying put and go exploring my own backyard once retired - 181 days
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > retiring overseas