Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF MAIL: Received email notification that I had POF mail, but nothin      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 i_do_dew
Msg: 1
POF MAIL: Received email notification that I had POF mail, but nothing is there.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hello All,

To start I read the FAQ, and did a search in this forum for "email receiv mess" and had no hits. I did look at the email sent messages but those don't apply.

I received an email on my private email that I had a Message waiting at POF from a User. When I look at my POF mail I do not see a message from that user. I do see mail from other users I'm messaging. I compared the two messages in my private inbox and they are identical within reason, including the headers. In other words if somone were forging a message they did a darn good job of it, I used to track down spam as part of my old job.

I did a search for that users name, and found nothing. It may be nice if a deleted user name could report that it was deleted for say a month after the fact. I don't even know if that applies in this case.

Im running firefox on XP, I have flushed cache and history.

If the user blocked me, why would they do so after sending me an initial message? and shouldn't I still be able to see it since they initiated contact? The other thought is that if the user in question blocked me, a message to that effect would be nice when I searched the user name. ditto for trying to send a message to a user who doesnt want to be contacted though mail limits, it would be nice to know that prior to typing the message.

Is there any way to retreive that message?
 lateā„¢
Msg: 2
Received email that I had POF mail, but nothing is there.
Posted: 8/18/2006 8:58:34 PM

I did a search for that users name, and found nothing.

If a profile is deleted by Admin, any mail is also deleted. This may have been spam or a scammer, Admin is good at nuking those profiles. A user who has applied a block will also cause mail to be deleted.

Is there any way to retreive that message?

No

If the user blocked me, why would they do so after sending me an initial message?

They can only block you if you initiate.

ditto for trying to send a message to a user who doesnt want to be contacted though mail limits, it would be nice to know that prior to typing the message.

You can check for most restrictions on the profile.

did a search in this forum for "email receiv mess" and had no hits.

If you searched "nothing there" you would have found this, but it probably doesn't help anyway.

ok every time i sign in now i get the "1 new message thing" except theres nothing there!

Also, mail is deleted after 30 days.
 lady joy
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/20/2006 9:15:28 PM
what ever this .or whom ever is doing this. its not funny. two days in a row i recieve messages in my msn mail,and when i check pof ......nothing,nada, glad it happened to someone else i thought iwas going nuts.
 Pandy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2006 11:34:00 PM
perhaps something to do with the fact that you have deleted one profile and opened another using the same email address?
 Blake5555
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/13/2007 5:16:02 PM
This is weird. Same problem as above; my email said that I had a message here at POF. I click the link, log in, nothing there. I just did a thorough search with the name given, both a complete search(since I'm looking anyway) and a user search. Nada. The lady doesn't exist! It's weird. It's not a name that I have contacted or recognize.
 markus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2007 6:26:54 PM
must be a spammer, what was the name?
 Blake5555
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/13/2007 6:56:42 PM
Latinfantaci.
 markus
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2007 8:35:53 AM
yup scammer.
 michy03
Msg: 9
view profile
History
FAQ - Received email notification that I had POF mail, but nothing is there.
Posted: 5/9/2007 10:19:51 AM
I am having the same problem i am looking for his handle is ooohlahlah everything is gone all my sent mails and incoming and cant find him anywhere in the sytem does anyone know of this person?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/9/2007 10:35:44 AM
^^^ Yup, Profile was deleted by the Admin or the System
for breaking the Terms of Service/User Agreement.

Related Links:Mail Settings: E-Mail Notifications
 TheCove
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/13/2007 12:39:05 AM
this happened to me tonight. not sure whats going on.

the profile of the user that sent me the mail on pof exists... i havent been blocked by them or their account deleted since i still see previous msgs between us... but when i logged on, there was no email to be found.

i received 2 notifications in my external email that i had mail on pof, but nothing is there.

ive also seen the opposite at times. that is; i dont get a notification in my external email, but when i logon to pof, i see new msgs. its not a timing issue since the emails were received on pof hours before i logged on and i had just checked my external email before doing so.

i changed my password, but doubt someone external to the pof site has access to my account.

is this a known problem?
 carterscutie85
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/2/2007 10:12:29 AM
Not sure, but I think this site is just slow at notifying u when u have e-mail here. For instance, i received mail here and read it/delted it, but it wasnt until abour an hour after i read it that I was notified on my private e-mail that I had mail here from the person who sent me a message.
 oktberfest
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 5:21:52 PM
I have ben having a wonderful conversation with a woman on this site for a week now. I recieve mail from POF on my aol accnt. reading I have new mail. When I log onto POF I do not have new mail. It has been 10 days now and still getting mail on my aol reading I have new mail at POF. But when I sign into POF there is no new mail.
 the_humormonger
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2007 6:05:48 PM
it's not clear whether all the new messages are coming from the same user, or not. but, if they are/were, see msgs 6 and 8. it was probably a spammer that got nuked by big fish. did you try to find the user using user search? if they're gone, it was probably a spammer. if not, naaaah, never mind...it isn't going to be the case.
 Island jokester
Msg: 15
FAQ - Received email notification that I was added to a favourites list
Posted: 6/13/2007 7:45:37 AM
I have received notifications for three days straight now that someone named lynn10 has added me to her favourites list, but there is no such person in your profile data base. Sounds like a similar problem, only using a different feature. Anyone else coming across this and is this another spammer?
 hammersandnails
Msg: 16
uhhh
Posted: 6/14/2007 12:13:33 AM
star girly-girl

I was corresponding with this user and suddenly all the emails and the account are gone.
I'm a bit curious as to why. I would obviously be curious to know if the account was deleted by the user, deleted by admin for blatant spam, or deleted for rule violation. It clearly was in fact a real person and not a bot.

I must say, as a new user, i am a bit shocked to just find correspondence removed from my mailbox.
 hammersandnails
Msg: 17
uhhh
Posted: 6/14/2007 12:23:36 AM
edit: and to speak more practically, i have retrieved the personal contact information from this user from my browser cache.

I realize that making technical changes like this can be a huge hassle, but leaving no trail in the event of account deletion really does not seem the best way to handle it. emails should stay unless the person is a bulk spammer. TOS violations and account deletions should leave a trail.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 18
uhhh
Posted: 6/14/2007 12:36:04 AM
leaving no trail in the event of account deletion really does not seem the best way to handle it. emails should stay unless the person is a bulk spammer. Terms of Service/User Agreement violations and account deletions should leave a trail.

Any User kicked off by the System or Admin is deleted without any Trace, regardless which TOS Violation was infracted upon.

No Favours of any Kind are extended to them.
 hammersandnails
Msg: 19
uhhh
Posted: 6/14/2007 5:31:30 AM
I'm not asking for favours to be extended to them. The reason I ask for a trail is not as a courtesy to the violator, I ask so that other users who may be in contact with them can make informed decisions.

Do you disagree that members that have not violated any TOS agreements that were in contact with TOS violators would be best served by knowing if someone they are in contact with uploaded a revealing picture instead of attempted identity theft or something?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 20
uhhh
Posted: 6/24/2007 1:49:14 AM
The reason I ask for a trail is not as a courtesy to the violator, I ask so that other users who may be in contact with them can make informed decisions.

This "Trail" would have huge Overhead in Terms of Resources and Administration.

Do you disagree that members that have not violated any TOS agreements that were in contact with TOS violators would be best served by knowing if someone they are in contact with uploaded a revealing picture instead of attempted identity theft or something?

No. You (POF Users) would not be better served, as the Admin's Resources are far better expended upgrading, streamlining and modifying the Site, other Concerns of higher Priority.

Every day ... Thousands, if not Tens of Thousands of Profiles are deleted for many different Reasons. Some are for Spammers & Scammers, others for ceaselessly trolling the Forums, Multiple Accounts, Fake Profiles, as well as cumulative Deletions for various Terms of Service/User Agreement Infractions. In some Instances, the Reasons may not be crystal clear, as the Site Filters are constantly undergoing Review and Revisions. Some Account Removals are entirely Confidential, esp. those dealing with Security and Espionage related Attacks on the Site.

Most of these Offenses are committed by Fake Profiles anywho. Consequently there would be more than 1 Reason or Explanation for
such Profile Terminations. To construct and administer such a Database for over 8 Million Users to serve up Reports is simply not realistically possible.
 CATE441
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2007 10:13:34 AM
Good morning!
I am just broken hearted! I have been waiting and waiting for one person to answer my e-mail to him. Today, I received a message saying, "check mail". and I couldn't wait to see it. Big disappointment when nothing was there. I am trying to understand this sight and learn as much as possible. But, I just don't understand what is going on. I also checked my sent mail to him and it is there but says, "unread". I think that means that he just hasn't read his new mail yet. Is this correct? I checked my profile to see if it was still O.K., and I guess it is as it is still there. I just want to be able to injoy this sight and the members on it. I did receive a message from another gentleman, I replied, and also nothing back from him. However in the sent mail section, it says he did read it. Just let me know what it is I am doing wrong. Thanks for listening!!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/8/2007 10:21:11 AM
Today, I received a message saying, "check mail". and I couldn't wait to see it. Big disappointment when nothing was there.

Related Links:Email: Notification, nothing is there
E-Mail Notifications, but no E-Mail
Mail Settings: Distance Restriction

I also checked my sent mail to him and it is there but says, "unread". I think that means that he just hasn't read his new mail yet. Is this correct?

Correct. He hasn't read your Mail yet.

I did receive a message from another gentleman, I replied, and also nothing back from him. However in the sent mail section, it says he did read it.

Not everybody will reply back.
 CATE441
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2007 12:43:01 PM
Thank you for easing my mind!

May I ask you just one more question? Where did the message go that you said I had in my "Inbox."???
 yayawhatever
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2007 1:02:46 PM
Have you blocked anyone? Or have you noticed any messages in your inbox with a blank space for a username, or a message just suddenly gone?

The "1 message" can occur when someone you have just blocked sends a message, but it can't get to your box, or a deleted user sends a message very close to the time they deleted their profile or it was deleted by the system. It also occurs if you have multiple windows open and the next window has not yet refreshed. Internet Explorer 7 is notorious for showing old cached information and not refreshing normally.

I just ran a test. The "1 message" kept appearing whenever I copied and pasted a members profile to review it. A cached page is just showing what was there the first time I visited it. Changed option to "everytime I visit the page" and deleted cache and cookies and the "1 message" disappeared. Its just remembering what was there the first time it was viewed.

I've seen a multitude of success with weird issues with Internet Explorer 7 resolved by going to Internet Options and then on the general tab under browsing history (in IE 6 its Tempory Internet Files) clicking on the settings button and changing, "Check for newer versions of stored pages" to "every visit to the page", then deleting cookies and refreshing the page.
 someplace***
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/8/2007 1:29:31 PM
May I ask you just one more question? Where did the message go that you said I had in my "Inbox."???

It may have been a message from an abusive user or a spammer, who was removed from this site by the admin.

Sometimes if a person's been abusing the rules of this site, (such as sending spam or abussive messages to numerous people) the admin will delete the person's profile, and all of the messages they've sent will also be removed from the recipient's inboxes.

When you recieved an email saying you had mail here, did it say the name of the person who sent you a message?
Perhaps you could do a "user- search" for that person's name? If you are unable to find them, it means the admin removed their profile.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF MAIL: Received email notification that I had POF mail, but nothing is there.