Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Wag the Dog      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IncrediBill
Msg: 1
Wag the DogPage 1 of 1    
Let me see if I've got this US led 'War on Terrorism' strategy right. Kill a bunch of american citizens, blame [insert religion/race here], invade any country with brown people, murder hundreds of thousands of innocent men women and children (those 3000 thousand americans were just that damned important), occupy their country to move in additional troops, forget that you're looking for 'the bad guy' who's allegedly hiding in a cave somewhere, attack a completely unrelated country claiming imminent threat of attack with weapons of mass destruction which you KNOW for certain they have because of your 'classified' information, overthrow government killing hundreds of thousands more innocent civilians, mostly old folks women and children again, find dictator of 'evil regime' in a hole in the ground in less than 5 months, don't even bother to pretend you're still looking for 'the bad guy' that allegedly actually murdered the 3000 or so americans which were the reason the troops went overseas to begin with, don't find any weapons of mass destruction, blame another country for faulty intelligence, continue to occupy country that was invaded for possessing weapons of mass destruction after no trace of any WMD are found. So...is the strategy, fight terrorism with terrorism? the problem with this, as with fighting fire with fire, is that when you feed into it with more of the same, you create a bigger problem. Also, if government needs propaganda to garner support to invade another country, they know they are in the wrong. Americans are well on their way to becoming this centuries Nazi's and most don't even know it. It sickens me to think how many Americans are completely oblivious to the actions of their government because it's just not cool to be into politics or to watch the news. What Americans need to realize is that this Anti-American attitude running rampant overseas and being grumbled about at home, is not due to a hatred or distaste for our North american style of living, but due to the actions of the government getting a little too full of itself. I'm glad that american citizens have the right to bear arms. It saddens me to know that they'd rather fight for that right so they can shoot each other instead of make sure their government is looking out for their best interests.
 passionteman
Msg: 2
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/20/2006 9:24:09 PM
US and Saudi Arabia with all their $$$ are funding terrorism, not stopping it.
 That Guy Him
Msg: 3
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/20/2006 9:33:38 PM
Didn't coalition forces take German citizens around to see all the attrocities committed by Hitler, in their name, after WWII was over? Perhaps those who blindly follow Bush need a taste of similar medicine.
 Trailsman5
Msg: 4
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/20/2006 11:58:08 PM
The American people gave Bush a lot of political capital when 9/11 hit, and he spent it on getting the equivalent of 'sharks with laser beams' for daddy so he could tranform the world into his vision of a Christian Democratic Utopia, where presidents could torture, jail indefinitely, tap any phone, and all would be free to worship Jesus and hate queers.

The American public trusted this man to sort terrorism out, and instead pursued his own agenda while telling America it was all connected. Its like telling your boss you worked on the Peterson File all day when you were really playing freecell.

Five years after 9/11: The FBI still isn't computerized; bin Laden still at large; growing unrest at the incompetence of Karzai's presidency in Afghanistan; lads are still languishing in Guantanamo without trial.

BUT

Saddam was caught and gays can't marry. As well, oil is at an all time high, putting megabucks in the pockets of Texas Republicans.

Can there be a question of where his priorities lie?
 Intercooler
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/21/2006 2:04:16 PM
^^^ I think that sums it up quite nicely......
 IncrediBill
Msg: 6
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/22/2006 6:06:41 AM
and why is big government intentionally breeding terrorists kids? Because its PROFITABLE, and because it also breeds FEAR among those who need to 'support' their government (like it matters if they actually have that support since they'd just do whatever they wanted anyway).

The U.S. is becoming very 1984-ish very quickly, I think Mr. Orwell was about 20-30 years off, but to me 1984 seems to be well on it's way to becoming prediction rather than fiction....
 RDtoo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/22/2006 8:44:31 PM
I was having a discussion about the "Wag the Dog" thing the other night. We were talking about conspiracy theories and the John Birch Society got brought up. I used to hear alot of jokes about the Birch society back in the 60s when I was a kid, but most things I heard made them out to be a racist hate group. One day I found a magazine in a waiting room a couple of years ago and the articles were about what most of us suspect is going on anyways. Turned out to be the Birch society magazine. They were not racists, but they sure had the conspiracy theories. Most of them made alot of sense. We talked about this and began to wonder if the Birchers were on to something and that is why the Government did a smear campaign on them in the 60s.
 Mishka
Msg: 8
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/23/2006 10:15:10 PM
I've been following events in the Balkans for quite some trime ,and i notice politicians are all cut from the same cloth ,doesn't matter what thier nationality is they all use the same tactics ,in the case of Serbia the "wag the dog" theory is ever present with the "Kosovo issue/crisis" ,the Serbian politicians use it and "milk it" for all it's worth as convient distraction for the poor track record with improving the day -day life of most Serbians ,and for not arresting war criminals like general Mladic which have stalled thier negotiations for entering the the European union .
They warn of dire consequences if Kosovo is granted independence from Serbia ,but what they don't realise is Kosovo is already independent in a sense (de-facto independent)and has been since 1999 when the UN took over administration of the former province ,it's all just a bunch of "smoke and mirrors" to help thier own agendas and try to win public approval on a lost cause ?
I blame Kostunica for all of this he has mislead Serbians and instead of taking them forward into European integration he has isolated Serbia as an "island" in the European community by cutting it off with bad move after another .
I can't wait for Kosovo to get independence because the Serbian politicians like Kostunica won't be able to use it as a distraction anymore from the real problems facing Serbia and the people will see them for who they really are .
 Outdoor2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:13:22 AM
And here I thought you all were talking about the movie!

Funny....not that far off the mark.....
 Byrd
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/25/2006 10:12:40 AM
I just read "Man Without a Country." by Kurt Vonnegut, and he states that the rest of the world hates us more than they did the Nazi's back in WW2...It blows me away the things that are going on in this country the sh t the bushy adminstration is getting away with...
 RDtoo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/25/2006 9:03:56 PM
Byrd, all the shit being pulled on us today would not have been pulled on an earlier generation. They have conditioned us over the years to accept the slow disintegration of our society.
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 12
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/27/2006 6:22:17 AM
Well lets hope your dems get control in the Nov elections and Bush gets his pathetic a.ss impeached.
Even better would be an impeachment and charged with war crimes.
Actually, nail the entire administration, they deserve it.
Doing this would not only be the right thing to do, but it would help to restore America's credibility in the world, because right now America has none.
 RDtoo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/27/2006 11:12:16 PM
You know it is an election year when gas prices have dropped 30 cents a gallon over the past month.......
 1F
Msg: 14
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/28/2006 2:12:58 PM

Didn't coalition forces take German citizens around to see all the attrocities committed by Hitler, in their name, after WWII was over? Perhaps those who blindly follow Bush need a taste of similar medicine.

Yes it would do the US people a lot of good to see the effects of Saddam and the Taliban.
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 15
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/28/2006 3:22:34 PM
Yes it would do the US people a lot of good to see the effects of Saddam and the Taliban.

During the cold war America helped create the Taliban to fight the big red machine when the Soviets were in Afghanistan.
During the war between Iraq / Iran America funded and supported Saddam.

GWB is responsible for more death and destruction then the Taliban and Saddam combined.
Your point makes no sense.
 Byrd
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/28/2006 3:49:34 PM
Well I agree with Always Smiling but not "If" Not everyone in America agrees with bushy boy...And many of us have seen torture in our lives and while I can protest that's about all I can do..I have a hard time believing a nurse would make such a statement.
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 17
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/28/2006 3:52:11 PM

Not everyone in America agrees with bushy boy

Agreed. Lets hope enough get ticked off enough to impeach and charge the criminal with war crimes.
Him and his administration deserve no less.
 Byrd
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Wag the Dog
Posted: 8/28/2006 4:07:43 PM
Amen to that but watch out who your friends are last time I was here I gave someone my personal e-mail and they sent me a little surprise, Thanks George.. I had to buy another computer.
 sailorman5
Msg: 19
Wag the Dog
Posted: 10/24/2006 7:26:20 PM
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"... it applies to all of us who think we live in a democracy (we do, but just barely).

But the vigilance has to be turned inward, not outward. The greatest threat to our freedom is not from t*rr*rists but from what our governments will do to our civil liberties in the name of "protecting" our "freedom". This kind of doublespeak is the real threat. Yeah, we're free all right: free to allow imprisonment without trial, free to throw out 1,000 years of increasingly civilized law. Free to accept that our government tortures people. Free to know that our phones can be tapped without due process, provided somebody breathes the words "n*tional s*curity"...

Why, it's dangerous now to speak out against our government (Canada, US, Brit -- pick one) more so perhaps in the increasingly paranoid US of A. The voice of the liberal-democrat left has been effectively silenced for five years, and things will have to get really awful (they are) before it will dare to raise itself again.

What was that quote from "The Lion in Winter": something like: "And when you have cut down all the laws, what then? Then there shall come such a mighty wind that no man, not even you, shall be safe."

When we see what we have become, perhaps we should admit that the t*rr*rists already have their victory. They have changed us into them.
 backworduck
Msg: 20
Wag the Dog
Posted: 10/24/2006 9:26:17 PM
great book Byrd.

i'm glad some are also seeing the pattern of "manufactured consent" used in many other countries over many administrations.

i trace it foreword from PBSUCCESS in Guatemala.

"they" are now using the same methods on us.
 l223
Msg: 21
Wag the Dog
Posted: 3/26/2009 4:30:26 PM
As someone who was born in WIndsor Canada and now living in the states, I can tell you that there are no easy answers. To think that any one country can alter a culture that has taken several millenia to develop is ridiculous. Their societies have been fighting amongst themselves for thousands of years. Are we so naive to think we can change that? What we have managed to do is give them all a common enemy. We have enough problems without concerning ourselves about global issues that shouldn't concern us.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Wag the Dog