Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > do you have a colostomy?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pidge724
Msg: 1
view profile
History
do you have a colostomy?Page 1 of 1    
I just had colostomy surgery last October for Crohn's. I am experiencing a lot of gas & would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has a colostomy also (not necessarily from Crohn's).
 spookshow1982
Msg: 2
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 8/22/2006 4:25:01 AM
Excess amounts of protein will give you bad gas.
 pidge724
Msg: 3
view profile
History
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 8/22/2006 5:24:18 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try anything. Right now I am trying a multi-enzyme that was recommended. It says that it is for fibre /carbohydrate/starch/dairy/protein/fat digestion. I have only been using it for 6 days but haven't noticed any difference yet. Perhaps it takes awhile to be absorbed into my system. I ate baby carrots today but bloated out like a balloon!! I will try them again in a few days to see if that happens again. Appreciate your comments.
 pidge724
Msg: 4
view profile
History
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 8/22/2006 5:52:28 PM
I will be seeing my ET nurse next month. Thanks for suggestion re seeing a clinical dietician. I will try that course asap. Others have told me that it can take awhile for everything inside to settle down. I hope so. I am still new to this colostomy. It is a whole new way of life, but at least it is now pain-free.
 nurselpn21
Msg: 5
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 11/5/2006 11:20:24 PM
Also try to avoid really fatty foods because they seem to cause gas.
 prettty_lady
Msg: 6
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 11/6/2006 5:27:04 AM
OP: Best thing is to speak with your surgeon and/or ostomy wound care nurse.

While someone here WITH an ostomy may be able to give you helpful advice - from their experience, the nurses in this specialty (enterstomal therapists) will be able to help you the most.

They have extra training and certification in this area, work with ostomy patients daily, BUT most of all - have (or can get) information related to your specific surgery.

It matters how much colon was removed and where in teh GI tract it was removed from to determine the most specific help for you.

Speak to them, especially since you have a new diagnosis. You need more education regarding this procedure and it's results, and they are the ones to do it.

edited: I just read you ahve an appt with your ET nurse next month, that's great...meanwhile it would help to keep a log of your dietary intake and your symptoms.

Best of luck with it!
 I like it real....
Msg: 7
view profile
History
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 11/7/2006 5:23:29 PM
From anything my patients have mentioned...
the only thing that helped was my suggestion to
seek out the advice of a Nautropath.

Anyone that I have sent, has felt truly helped...
good luck
 Raincoast_Chick
Msg: 8
view profile
History
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 11/8/2006 10:58:11 AM
You should notice a difference right away with enzymes. What kind did you buy? Like anything, you get what you pay for. The cheap ones, just don't seem to make a difference.

You might not have enough hydrochloric acid produced in your stomach. Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice. If your indigestion goes away, then you need more stomach acid. Take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water with meals to aid digestion. If it makes it worse, then you have too much acid.

Try eating fresh papaya and pineapple as they have natural enzymes. Go easy on the processed junk, dairy, red meat, fat and caffeine.

Balancing the flora of the intestine with a high quality probiotic would also help.
 angel124
Msg: 9
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 9/24/2008 1:39:09 AM
i also have a colostomy i had my entire colan removed i had a rare form of UC. Anyway dairy carbonated drinks fatty foods and drinking from a straw will cause gas i also noticed that i get alot gassier when im sleeping so over night my bag tends to balloon keep an eye out for this cause it could cause a blowout and ita not pretty lol.
 jubsi
Msg: 10
view profile
History
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 2/24/2009 7:31:29 PM
Hey guys, do you know about MeetAnOstoMate.com? It is a network for people with ostomy. Check it out, there is plenty of info in there. See their forum too.

Cheers
 safgjkadflgj
Msg: 11
view profile
History
do you have a colostomy?
Posted: 2/24/2009 11:08:34 PM
my father had one
it helped him when he ate a diet that was a low in fat and fairly high in fiber
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > do you have a colostomy?