Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why are there so many single female nurses and teachers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Racer71
Msg: 1
Why are there so many single female nurses and teachers?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I've noticed when doing searches that those seem to be the most common professions of single females..(at least in my age range)
I can somewhat understand why there are plenty of single nurses on here (due to their often unusual hours of work) but what about all those teachers? Is there any specific reason why there are so many single females in those professions?
 *Flavia*
Msg: 2
Why are there so many single female nurses and teachers?
Posted: 8/24/2006 10:28:03 AM
Don't know about teachers. But, I've noticed many nurses on the forums.
It's all good.
 Racer71
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/24/2006 10:32:29 AM
Yeah, it's all good but it still doesn't answer the question of why?
 junipermoon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 10:46:38 AM
both occupations involve a lot of stress. nurses tend to have caregiving personalities (my mother was a nurse for about 40 years).

you find the same characteristic in teachers (i taught for years).

both areas require the individual to take a great deal of responsibility, but very little power and control. the combination of stress, responsibility and powerlessness creates a great deal of tension that spills over into personal lives. many of these people have a hard time forming relationships with individuals outside their areas.

nurses and teachers both have years of education and frequently brilliant minds. look what each profession has to tolerate on a daily basis. if i were still teaching, i'd be a basket case!!!

if this doesn't help, let me know and i'll try to clarify.
 Racer71
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/24/2006 10:48:39 AM
msg4: that makes perfectly sense!
 Formerly known as ece7405
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:12:14 AM
Both jobs can also be physically draining. After a day of work, relaxing in front of the computer is often much more appealing than being out & about trying to muster up enthusiasm to meet new people.

I've seen a few nurses but almost all the mail I get contain the words "I'm a teacher too."
 missleo83
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:16:01 AM
I am thinkin that they are really not nurses or teachers......I think they are maybe LPNs or teachers assistants...........
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:21:22 AM
^^^ ???? Why would you say that ????? ^^^
 missleo83
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:33:57 AM
Cause I know ppl who do that say such things. I know a friend that just graduated from the hospital unit clerk course (nowhere close to bein a nurse) and she tells everyone sge is a nurse. Same as teachers aids, I know teachers aids that tell ppl that they are teachers just for the attention or to make ppl think higher of them.
 kristinanb
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:35:27 AM
I'm a teacher, but not the usual sort, since I'm teaching adults at the college level. This means I do have unusual hours since working adults are going to be taking their classes at night or online. However, traditional educators have their challenges too.

I hear this myth frequently that teachers are done when school lets out at 3 PM and of course they have nothing to do over the summer. School duties usually will add extra time to the work day, so just because the kids leave at 3 PM, does not mean teachers do. Besides the extra planning and homework grading (which can take hours!), there's plenty of continuing education. Many decide with continung education requirement, why not just go on and get that advanced degree. I teach teachers and I hear this often. Taking classes is going to take a sizeable amount of "free time" during the school year and summer.

I know many teachers that work part time jobs such as sales clerk, server, or tutor. I do not like hearing the whines about the salaries, but I know it does discourage many wonderful would be teachers. The reality is that if anyone is saving up for their home or a fancy vacation or paying off a student loan, then a second job makes sense to meet their goal faster. So that's another chunk of time.

I would think this is especially true of teachers in 20's and 30's that are just settling down in both profession and life.

Tina
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:38:49 AM

Cause I know ppl who do that say such things. I know a friend that just graduated from the hospital unit clerk course (nowhere close to bein a nurse) and she tells everyone sge is a nurse. Same as teachers aids, I know teachers aids that tell ppl that they are teachers just for the attention or to make ppl think higher of them.

Fair enough but, so what? That has nothing to do with the question.
 kristinanb
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:51:01 AM
Msg 4 is right on target!

Teaching, nursing, social work, etc. can be very mentally and emotionally draining. I'm sure running after little kids is physically draining too. These are demanding careers, but there's not much authority. Most students are wonderful, but it's those few demanding students that can just wipe someone out. Administrators at all levels are not supportive. In fact, some administrators will consider it "poor classroom management" if a teacher has a truly nightmare student, and refers that student to an administrator.

I'm not sure about nursing, but teaching can be very isolating. The only time teachers interact as peers is during lunch break, planning period (if they have one) and perhaps a few minutes before or after school. People tend to think that teachers are extraverted, but I recalling hearing that college professors as a whole are introverted. All this interaction with people, especially when it might be confrontional, can wear introverts out!

Personally, I haven't found too many people very understanding except for other teachers.

Tina
 missleo83
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:51:56 AM
Um it does in my head but it is kinda hard to explain if that makes sense. Like I know when it comes to the net that such proffesions as teachers and nurses, you have to maintain such a level of professionalism that for RNs and actual teachers, to put up a profile and "network" yourself on the net, it is really risky. For teachers it becomes the question of "which student will find me and try to mess with me" and also if she has something up on the net and the student finds it and tells his/her parents and they find it offensive, then that can cause alot of grief and stess that might possibly cost them their job. Same can kinda be said for RNs. I have a friend who just graduated from University and she had told me something one time about this but I cant remember the details she gave me.

When it comes down to LPNs or other lower ranked nurses or teacher aids, their jobs are not as high profile so to put themselves out there isnt as much of a risk, if you know what I mean.
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:54:35 AM
I agree with you but all Racer wants to know is why there seem to be so many on here.
 missleo83
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/24/2006 11:57:05 AM
Yes and I said maybe they are all not real teachers and nurses......do you get what I am tryin to say???????
 CountryGal
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:01:11 PM
Cuz we're analytical and picky. But I just speak for myself.

Then again, I did move to the boonies b/c of my career...
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:01:31 PM
Yes, I see what you are saying now. But I still think your missing the point of the question. Whatever their technical job title they are still in the same field. It doesn't matter missyelliot, it's really not a big deal.
 CountryGal
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:04:44 PM
Posted By: missyelliot83 on 8/24/2006 1101 AM
Subject: Why are there so many single female nurses and teachers?
Message: I am thinkin that they are really not nurses or teachers......I think they are maybe LPNs or teachers assistants...........

RNs, RPNs, and LPNs are the only professions legally aloud to call themselves nurses. LPNs ARE nurses. I am an LPN and I tale offence to that statement. We do almost all things RNs do, just different clientelle (must have predictable outcome). We offer more services and well-trained care then Care Aids (although Care Aids are the backbone of healthcare).
 missleo83
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:06:29 PM
Ba I am sure that I am missin the pointish.....I have been sittin at this damn desk for like 5 hours now and am slightly spacey. Plus I am use to puttin my 2 cents in and not gettin acknowledged so when I was questioned about it, it threw me off

Anyway yea lots of nurses lots of teachers, get yourself one of each and you gotz your self a life long learnin partner and a chic who can fix ya up on the side Jk jk....
 CountryGal
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:08:00 PM
Dammit I wish I could edit my spelling mistakes. That's what I get for getting my knickers in a bunch.
 OpheliaBonMot
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:26:44 PM
I know a guy who's an LPN and gets a lot of crap for being a nurse. Apparently there's still some perception that nursing, day care, and even teaching is still "women's work."
 CountryGal
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:33:04 PM
Ya that's true, men do get flack for being nurses. Look at "Meet the Parents/Fockers".

Truth is male nurses are in high demand since they can physically lift more, idea being they won't hurt themsleves as often since women can carry less weight (and end up carrying more then they can handle and end up with a back injury).
 cutiestudent
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/24/2006 1:06:05 PM
I had to respond to message 13. First let me state my credentials.... I am a teacher and have my BA and my Bed. Not sure if you realize but teachers and nurses are human. I go home at the end of the day (no I don't sleep at school). For me to be fired based on either my profile or comments I post on an ADULT DATING Site is a bit ridiculous.

As for why teachers are on here, yes my occupation takes a lot of my free time and I am adicted to the forums. It is great to go here for advice as well as to hopefully help others.
 RollerGrrrl
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2006 1:43:30 PM
i think it's not necessarily an indication of how many single teachers/nurses there are...but rather that they have profiles on the internet.
meaning that nurses & teachers have very busy schedules (the teachers at my kids' school don't go home before 5 & then they also take work home with them) & probably are here for the same reason the single parents are here...not enough time to socialize in 3D.
 missleo83
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/24/2006 1:45:09 PM
BAHA Im not sure where in my posts I ever stated that nurses and teachers where not human but hey your the one with a BA and a BED, I guess when you have a few of those under your belt that gives you the ability to read between the lines really well to dig that kind of stuff out eh. As for my speal about what I said on the teachers in msg 13. I wasnt just pullin that out of a hat, I have had a few teachers state that and same as nurses. And to me it makes sense. I know if I was a teacher I probably wouldnt post a profile even if it is an adult site. That means nothing especially to kids. And if I ever found my sons teacher on a dating site, I would feel a little weird about that.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why are there so many single female nurses and teachers?