Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does LTR mean to guys?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mandi_413
Msg: 1
What does LTR mean to guys?Page 1 of 1    
Do you think it means living with a woman?

Or, do you think it means being exclusive with a woman - both maintaining your own homes - only sleeping over two or three nights a week (or more or less, as each of you sees fit)?
 cotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What does LTR mean to guys?
Posted: 8/25/2006 11:28:08 AM
I have discovered that a lot of men are putting "long-term" down in their profiles when all they really want to do is run around ... DATING ETERNALLY! Of course you don't find that out until you are in a dialogue with them for a while. When I ask why they put down "long-term" ... they have actually said that they tried it with "dating" and the ladies would not reply to their emails ... now more do with the change to "long-term". However, they have no intention of really having a "long-term" relationship.

I have also run into men who say they will live with a woman or vice versa ... but do not ever want to get married again ... NOT EVER.
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/25/2006 11:39:08 AM
Ultimately yes I believe living together at some point down the line would be the natural progression of a healthy long-term relationship (provided you both live and work in the same city).

The way I see it is you start off by seeing each other, which progresses to dating (boyfriend-girlfriend) which implies exclusivity. Congrats, at that point you like each other enough to be monogamous, now it's time to find out more about the person.

After a couple of years of dating and all is well, I would think moving in together would be the next logical step as she's probably left half her stuff at your place anyway and you have at hers. Plus you'll learn a lot more about them seeing their behaviour when their guard's down...

Whether it progresses to the stages of engagement followed by marriage is a screening process up to each invidual couple, I place no great need upon tying the knot, once we're living together that was already my expression of a desire to build a future together. What that future entails is up to the two of us to decide and discover together

Short answer: LTR = living together? Yes
LTR = marriage? Not necessarily, (common law is quite popular )
 AprilRaine
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/25/2006 11:41:22 AM
I can't blame them for not wanting to marry again. I don't intend to either. Been there/done that/got the battle scars to prove it. I am really curious to see if that term turns guys off...if they think women are using it as bait to catch them and then try to get them to marry. I'm sure there are some women who might, but there are probably more women who do NOT. Hello...it's not 1956 anymore. Men and women do not have to marry to have a relationship. We can have our cake and eat it, too.
 Catch A Star
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/25/2006 11:43:00 AM
I felt certain it meant they hoped to find true love and be married some day in the not so decades away future. You mean I was wrong?! Nah.....men don't lie...
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2006 11:44:30 AM
A long term exclusive relationship... which eventually will lead to moving in together and being together for the rest of our lives. Having a family together.
Marriage is optional of course. You don't need to be married to know that you always want to be together.
 AprilRaine
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/25/2006 11:45:32 AM
Tiger,

Well, for me LTR doesn't mean moving in and living together. My ex had a great LTR with a lady for almost eight years until his tragic death on 12-26-05. They and my daughter both believed it worked for them BECAUSE they didn't move in together. Actually, they rarely got to see each other during the week; they mostly spent most weekends together. The relationship stayed fresh and new that way. They kept very little stuff at each other's place - toiletry items only, I think.

April
 plentyofrichard
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/25/2006 12:01:14 PM
You are right Starshine! LTR is forever! Find that special person that makes you smile when you get up every morning and live every day like your a goofy kid in love! I have recently met someone who appears flawless! We have only been out once but I have my fingers crossed, that she is the one! Seeing her this weekend, can hardly wait!
 morefunwithu
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/25/2006 12:42:25 PM
It means whatever you decide it means between the parties involved in the LTR. This is a discussion you should be having with the person that you are interested in having a LTR with. It might be different things to different people depending on their needs and wants. WHat it means without any discussion with the person in a general sense to me, if I were using it in my profile, is that I am looking to have a relationship that is more on a dedicated and permenant level, exclusive to one another. I would be certain that the person I was looking to become involved with has the same or a clear understanding of what I was looking for as well as, I would want to know precisely what it is that they are looking for too.

Discuss it with whomever you are interested in having a LTR with. .That is what is the most important answer will be!

---Robert
 Hello Kitty aka HK
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/25/2006 12:47:51 PM
LTR..........Hummm depends on the dude I suppose

Long term Relationship......has to start somewhere their goal is to eventually have an LTR with someone.....This doesn't nessasarily mean YOU or that they will give YOU the efforts of a LTR> they are still fishing afterall like us all. This is their overall goal. To be with a person for a long period of time.....maybe common law, maybe not. Maybe marriage,maybe not. IF they have been married chances are they won't do it again. LTS -long term shag. That what it should say because if they usually wanna shag sooner and get thing started and than IF the shag goes well they might keep ya around. LMAO

On POF I would say it's a trap net to catch a shag. Can't say everyone that has that will being doing that but many from my experience.

Seeing LTR is misleading from my experience........Yes at some point they may actually be seeking LTR but you will hear "not at this point" where they are in the now. There intention is to one day have a LTR. Having LTR on POF will get you more A$$ because alot of women are looking for LTR thinking it means your a one on one kinda guy that gives equal opportunity and will be willing to develop into a "relationship" take a pause at least in your dating of other women, although not true but assumed. Women do the same as the men...but since I'm a woman I can only comment on what I"ve discovered and seen so far.
 Starfish_Warrior
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/25/2006 12:47:55 PM
LTR ?? isnt that the new trim package on that hot new car? LOL o dear im funny
 cotter
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2006 1:08:18 PM

Having LTR on POF will get you more A$$ because alot of women are looking for LTR ...
Yuppers ... that's been my experience as well. The guys are using it for bait!

And I've heard a lot of women complaining about it ... it's in the threads. That's why there are so many women complaining that "guys just want sex" and then they don't call back even though they led the ladies to believe they wanted more than just sex. They "bang" them and don't even bother to say, "Buh bye"! Just don't call back and don't answer emails as to why.
 MDNinja
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/25/2006 1:26:39 PM
LTR means Lord of The Rings.
 swimsalot
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/25/2006 1:37:28 PM
You guys are all wrong.

LTR = A long DNA sequence that is repeated at each end of retrotransposon and retrovirus DNA.

How do I know that? Well, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
 User101256
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2006 1:38:06 PM
I thought Lord of The Rings as well at first...

LTR means you are looking for someone to spend your life with. These relationship can fizzle out really fast if the pair does not have the right chemistry, because instead of thinking about tonight, everyone's focused on tomorrow.

LTR are the best relationships when they click!
 bubbynutz
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/25/2006 2:05:06 PM
To it means till death do us part. And hopefully it's my death, because I sure as hell don't want to go through this dating crap again ROTF
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does LTR mean to guys?