Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Mangos      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ITV
Msg: 1
MangosPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I just bought my first couple of mangos. How do I know when they're ripe and ready to eat? And what kinds of things can you make with them?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 8/26/2006 4:01:28 PM
Like most fruits, test ripeness by smell or touch ... smell the stem end of a mango - if it has a full, fruity aroma you know it's ripe. Or if it's slightly soft to the touch like a ripe peach it's ready to eat. I've found the best flavoured mangos have a yellow tinge when ripe but just to confuse the issue, it could be green, orange, yellow, red or any combination.

Best eaten right from the skin but mango chicken with rice is awesome ... also cut up mangos into bite-sized chunks and toss in fruit salad or make a mango smoothie.

Go to fresh mangos dot com for lots of recipes.
 ITV
Msg: 3
Mangos
Posted: 8/26/2006 5:06:39 PM
Hey thanks for the tips. I had a smell but don't smell anything yet. They do have a kind of multi color starting though....And nice car there in the pictures. Even comes with one of those models beside it.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 8/26/2006 6:02:13 PM
Best way to ripen a mango is leave it on the kitchen counter for a day or two, or you can put it in a brown paper bag overnight to speed up the process

Car is '87 Mustang Cobra GT 5.0L H/O with t-bar roof - left it in Ontario with my youngest when I moved ... apparently you have to drive a truck when you move to BC so I got myself a great Ram BR1500 - Official Truck - 80th Indianopolis 500 ... blue with white stripes and official Indy logos

OT .. mango is great used in a marinade
 Vote4Pedro
Msg: 5
Mangos
Posted: 8/29/2006 11:34:17 PM
Mango my favourite!

Easiest mango fix for me is to scoop it all in the blender (without the pip), ice cubes, cup of fresh full cream milk and two tablespoons of sugar.

Perfect summer drink.
 writer59
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 8/30/2006 3:44:53 PM
Classic- do oyu have a mango and chicken recipe?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 8/30/2006 7:46:30 PM
here's 2 recipes for Mango Chicken ... usually make the Thai Mango Chicken but use 2-3 peppers if the rugrats invite themselves for dinner

Thai Mango Chicken

1-1/4 lb. boneless chicken, cut in thin strips
1 tbsp. oil
2 tsp. red curry paste
1 cup coconut cream
1 green Thai pepper, sliced, or to taste
1 lb. mango slices
1/4 cup green onions, sliced diagonally
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Stir-fry chicken in hot oil until golden. Add curry paste and stir-fry 1 minute longer. Add coconut cream and capsicum, simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in mango slices, spring onions and lemon juice. Reheat gently and serve with rice.

Mango Chicken

4 chicken breasts
3/4 cup wine vinegar, divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. ground ginger, optional
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. chopped onion
3 mangoes, chopped
1 mango, sliced

In large bowl, season chicken with 1/2 cup vinegar and thyme. Marinate at least 1 hour; or longer depending on taste. Remove chicken from marinade; arrange in shallow baking pan and add salt to taste.

Preheat oven to 325°F. In small saucepan, mix together brown sugar, ginger, garlic, onion and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar. Add chopped mangoes and boil over medium heat until slightly thickened; pour over chicken. Cook for 45-60 minutes to until Pour sauce from baking pan back into sauce pan, add sliced mango; stir and heat until thickened; pour over chicken. Serve over bed of steamed rice.
 Glass Slipper11
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 6/22/2008 12:33:48 AM
OMG Classic, I am SO trying your recipes...... sound so good. I bought a case of mangos that are getting ripe. The flavours of the Thai chicken recipe are exactly what I like. Thank you!!!!!!

I was watching Iron Chef this evening and Bobby Flay was using mango and Alton Brown mentioned that mango comes from the cashew family. Who'da thunk?
 place18
Msg: 9
Mangos
Posted: 6/22/2008 4:14:10 AM
cashew family has many varieties
I had 8 different kinds of cashew tree back in my land
also had about 14 different kinds of mangos ,some are very sweet when are green some
are very sour ,the ones that come to canada are from a kind the last longer and are kind of hard ,
as I say there are many kinds of mangos ,I had a tree that had mangos 3 season a year
the ones in the winter were big ones the ones in the summer were small and very sweet
the ones in the fall were green ,it was very nice to have that tree
 john.duke12
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 6/22/2008 8:27:57 AM

asiest mango fix for me is to scoop it all in the blender (without the pip), ice cubes, cup of fresh full cream milk and two tablespoons of sugar.

Agreed. Although milk+ mangoes i just fine. Don't need to water it down and definitely doesn't need extra sugar.
 HawaiiUncle
Msg: 11
Mangos
Posted: 6/22/2008 9:03:06 AM
How do I know when they're ripe and ready to eat?

They're perfectly ripe and ready exactly 5 minutes before they fall off the tree and splat on the ground or the birds eat them. Don't be late. S'okay though. The birds need to eat too.
 mermaid_tattoo
Msg: 12
Mangos
Posted: 6/30/2008 11:23:44 PM
Both of your mango chicken recipes sound delicious! The thai one sounds best, but I have all the ingredients on hand for the one with ginger, so I think I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!!!
 ActionSmiles
Msg: 13
Mangos
Posted: 7/2/2008 1:31:07 PM
black spots indicate rot
generally,they should be soft to the touch but not mushy
Mangos from Nicarauga never sweeten up, I prefer either Puerto Rican or Costa Rican ones.

I slice the meat off the seed, either side, then fillet like fish. You have 4 quarters. I used them for a shake recipe (posted on this forum).

And I admit to sucking the succulent flesh off the seed and skins . . . . .I love mangos and oranges!
 WesternRose
Msg: 14
Mangos
Posted: 7/2/2008 3:42:25 PM
I grew up eating mangos right off the tree....back in the Caribbean.

There are different types of mangos.. I noticed the skinny yellow ones from Mexico just start to shrivel up when they are beyond the ripe stage.

I like the big round Juley Mangos...and how I know one is ripe you can smell it.
Hold it in your hand....and smell it.... you will know. Just don't eat a green mango..tummy ache.
 snac
Msg: 15
Mangos
Posted: 7/9/2008 1:19:37 AM
heres an easy tasty chicken mango dish that is a hit at my restraunt . pan fry a chicken breast fillet skinless side down and covered until brown (3-4 mins) ten turn cook the skin on side until the fillet is cooked remove from pan then remove the skin leaving the nice white flesh of the chicken showing.place the fillet on a nice bed of steamed rice top with fanned out mango slice and warmed sweet chilli sauce. it presents really well and tastes fantastic .........3rd pic on my profile hope you like it
 gjay1
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 7/9/2008 5:49:09 AM
ok heres a favourite mango recipe.....toss strips of chicken fillet in sweet chilli sauce-cook while making dressing.....like this.....squish up the mango...add a good splodge of sweet chilli sauce-probably about 1/2 a cup.....about the same of sour cream....tear up some coriander....now mix it all up and arrange chicken over a big green salad with lots of coriander....then pour over dressing.....yum
 missmelly180
Msg: 17
Mangos
Posted: 7/9/2008 4:02:58 PM
Anyone have any tips in slicing a mango for a fine dice? I have the most horrible time getting it off the pitt with out practically taking off a couple fingers. The riper, the more difficult and my dice looks like it was maulled in a dull blender. It's not my knives because they are plenty sharp and I use a steel. I'm thinking my hand placement and cutting method, on the vertical instead of horizonal. Maybe using a rubber fileting glove would help?
 Been there done that.
Msg: 18
Mangos
Posted: 7/9/2008 5:03:33 PM
Mangos sliced and trailed down the spine and lapping up the juices.

Wrong forum....but then again maybe not?

Creative nutritional foreplay....Mmmmmm....
 ~Tigerlilly~
Msg: 19
Mangos
Posted: 7/9/2008 5:58:30 PM
Here's a really easy mango salsa that you can use especially if you have overripe mangos:

1 mango, diced
1 small cucumber, diced
1/2 red onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of vinegar (white or balsamic)
Juice of 1 lime

Just mix everything together and let it sit in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. You can put this over just about anything, but my favorite is to make a double batch and eat it with tortilla chips.
 FindingNemo12
Msg: 20
Mangos
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:07:58 AM
Yum, one of my favorite fruits!

Here's a delicious recipe for Chicken Mango Spinach Salad. It's great on a hot summer day ;)

1 bag (10 oz.) baby spinach leaves
1 mango, peeled, sliced
1 avocado, peeled, sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2/3 cup kraft light raspberry vinaigrette reduced fat dressing
2 cups cooked chicken strips (about 10 oz.)

TOSS spinach with mango, avocado and onion in large bowl.
ADD dressing; mix lightly.
SPOON onto 5 plates. Top with chicken. Serve immediately.
(taken from creamcheese.com)
 jojoaus
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 7/10/2008 4:26:47 AM
I make this every Christmas... Prawn, Mango and Macadamia Salad
750g cooked king prawns
2 large mangoes sliced
100g macadamia nuts
1 lettuce

Lemon Basil Dressing
1/4 lemon juice
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspns chopped fresh basil (I use more!!)
2 teaspns castor sugar

Devein prawns, leave tails intact. Combine all main ingerdients. Combine all dressing ingredients in screw top jar... shake. Add just before serving. Totally yummmmmmmm
 sillychick
Msg: 22
Mangos
Posted: 7/10/2008 7:08:51 AM
I add mangoes to green salads often and I also make this rhubard-mango crisp below. Everyone loves it.

Rhubarb mango crisp

Crumbled cookies, fresh ruby-red rhubarb and juicy mango make an irresistible crisp.

Preparation time 12 minutes
Baking Time 45 minutes
Makes 4 to 6 servings
10 to 12 gingersnap cookies
3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (75 mL) brown sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) cold butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
2 tbsp(30 mL) cornstarch
1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
1/4 tsp(1 mL) nutmeg
2 mangoes
6 cups (1.5 L) coarsely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb

1.Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Crush cookies into small pieces. You should have about 3/4 cup (175 mL). Place in a medium bowl. Stir in flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with 2 knives or your fingers until mixture is crumbly.
2.In a large bowl, use a fork to stir granulated sugar with cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Peel mangoes and cut flesh away from pit. Slice into 1-inch (2.5-cm) chunks. Add to bowl and toss. If using fresh rhubarb, cut off and discard leaves. If using frozen rhubarb, rinse under cold running water to melt ice crystals, then pat dry with paper towels. Toss rhubarb with mango mixture. Then turn into a buttered, 8-inch (20-cm) baking dish. Sprinkle cookie mixture over fruit but do not press down. Set dish on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
3.Bake in preheated 375F (190C) oven until fruit is tender and topping is golden, 45 to 50 minutes. If necessary, cover loosely with foil during last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Any leftovers will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 2 days.
 sanderick
Msg: 23
Mangos
Posted: 7/12/2008 3:32:38 PM
I cut and freeze mangos into chunks and use them for smoothies every morning. A little flaxseed oil and some protein powder and i'm set until lunch..

thathguy1123
Msg: 24
Mangos
Posted: 7/12/2008 3:54:29 PM

Anyone have any tips in slicing a mango for a fine dice? I have the most horrible time getting it off the pitt with out practically taking off a couple fingers. The riper, the more difficult and my dice looks like it was maulled in a dull blender. It's not my knives because they are plenty sharp and I use a steel. I'm thinking my hand placement and cutting method, on the vertical instead of horizonal. Maybe using a rubber fileting glove would help?

I dont like mangos but have to cut up a ton of them at work I do it like this:

I use a potato peeler to take the skin off, then cut a small disk off the bottom so it will sit on the cutting board without moving around to much. I use a pairing knife to slice off the meat. I get as close to the pit as I can(by feel) then cut. Turn it a quarter turn and cut again till I get all 4 sides. Then go back and get the other chunks I missed. Then chop it up.

Hope that makes sense.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Mangos
Posted: 7/13/2008 6:34:38 AM
Mango Red Pepper fresh Salsa

2 Mangoes diced
2 Necterines diced
2 Red Peppers diced
an oz or two of lime juice