Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Relationships with someone on a different work schedule - can they wo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Racer71
Msg: 1
Relationships with someone on a different work schedule - can they work?Page 1 of 1    
Has anybody here been in a relationship with someone that has a completely different work schedule than yourself? I was thinking that IF I met a woman that works nights and often on weekends if it could really work out..
Has anybody been in such relationship AND did it end because of the work schedule or have there been major issues because of it?
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 2
Relationships with someone on a different work schedule - can they work?
Posted: 8/26/2006 10:41:25 PM
I have been there in the past...

after awhile it got very, very old.

After that relationship which lasted 3 years...
I only dated day workers who took weekends off.
 GypsyEssence
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/26/2006 10:43:23 PM
I was in a relationship with someone for 7yrs who was on a different work schedule as my own plus there was distance between us(approx 90 miles one way).

I worked days with weekends off while he worked nights and often on weekends. We managed to see each other once a week and even took a few weekend getaway trips together. Our breakup had nothing to do with our schedules at all.
 Kainhunter
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/26/2006 10:48:39 PM
I work second shift and my girlfriend is in college and works at night so we don't get to see each other much, but it makes the time we do get something that we both respect. It doesn't really matter about the schedules, so long as you actually do see each other. If you don't ever get to do that, then there would probably be some problems.
 nipoleon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2006 11:54:29 PM
Anything can work between 2 people if they want it to work.
The problem is people often get lazy.
 photonut73
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2006 3:04:22 AM
Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, I was engaged. At the time, I was working in an office (7am-5pm Monday to Friday) and he was working in a bar (6pm-3am Wednesday to Saturday). We did not live happily ever after. I'm can't say the difference in schedule was THE cause of the breakup, but it sure didn't help the situation.

If we'd been "meant to be", though, we might have figured out a way to make it work.

How's that for a non-answer........
 Island Guy 187
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/27/2006 4:12:02 AM
have u ever heard of booking days off to make plans?
 bikebowman
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2006 6:16:12 AM
Sure it can work!
You just need to sleep in a fragmented style.
I go to work at 6 am.
She is off work at 2 am.
She wakes me...we chat or whatever...nappy time, then off to work.
The hard part is the days off. She wants to stay up till 4 am and I am crashing at midnight.
 nimrod
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/27/2006 10:35:15 AM
I worked in a small shop where everyone knew everyone else. The 3-11 shift was occasionally referred to as "the divorced shift." 9 out of 10 guys were single by court decree. The tenth guy ended up changing jobs at his wife's insistance.

I don't know if it was the working hours, more likely it was the after work socializing that was so hard on relationships. If a guy is working until 11 and wants to hang out with his co-workers after work there are limited places to go - they're fun places to be, but not likely to reinforce monogamy.

The absolute worst case scenario is the night worker who enjoys working that shift. Some people are natural night-owls and make a terrible match for an 8-5 person.
 LadyScorpio1960
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/27/2006 10:49:09 AM
IMO when you first meet someone and your work schedule doesn't match, from experience, it is very hard to establish a relationship...you both need to be very patient.
 canadian_sweetheart85
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/27/2006 10:54:45 AM
when my boyfriend and i lived in the same town, our schedules were different...he worked early mornings..and i usually worked nights. So i saw him 1 or 2 hours before i had to go to work. However, now that i live about a 2 hour drive and a 1 1/2 hour ferry ride away, thats harder to do. The fact is if you really love someone then you can make it work; with different work schedules and all. Its basically a matter on how bad you really want the relationship to work.

Thats my thought :)

Take Care
**EDIT: WE ARE STILL TOGETHER AND HAPPY AS EVER***
 ~squirrly~
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/27/2006 11:02:08 AM
Anything can work between 2 people if they want it to work.

This is true Nipoleon BUT they have to get to the point where they want to. ie. its hard on a
new relationship. I work every weekend and several evenings during the week and always
seem to be working when everyone else is playing plus I have some family committments
too which is probably the main reason I use online dating. Now whether it will work is a whole
different story.....time will tell.
 *Handyman*
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/27/2006 11:29:02 AM
I am currently in a relationship with someone who works weird hours . My hours are self determined but when I'm on a job I usually work till whenever sometime very late and she has to crash early because she starts very early but so far it hasn't been an issue unless I crash there and I don't have my truck with me and I have to get up with her and I get home all bleary eyed at 5 in the morning and have to try to sleep again for a couple hours before I go to work myself. But hey it's the things you gotta do and it's not so bad really.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Relationships with someone on a different work schedule - can they work?