Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > When does a marriage begin according to the Bible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aaaOneEyeOpen
Msg: 1
When does a marriage begin according to the Bible?Page 1 of 1    
If we used what the "Bible" says and NOT "man's traditions" what conclusion would we arrive at as to "when" does marriage begin between a man and a woman?
 Hackm
Msg: 2
view profile
History
When does a marriage begin according to the Bible?
Posted: 9/15/2006 8:15:40 AM
Old Testament? Probably just a kiss. Think of how intimate a kiss is. It's a sudden choice to completely alter how you perceive and treat someone. Life changing to the innocent.
 aaaOneEyeOpen
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/16/2006 2:25:09 PM
I would think there would be some Bible thumpers in this forum that would know the answer? Could some of us be married in God's eyes and not ours? ...or could some of us not be married and we think we are? Does God's word rule or does man's traditions rule when it comes to determining this question?
 alaska2004
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/16/2006 3:42:08 PM
The first mention of any word directly related to marriage is Gen. 2:24. It tells why a man shall leave his parents and to whom he should cling to...a wife. In Gen. 4:17 it says Cain knew his wife. The curious thing of marriage and the Bible is that there is not any one certain recorded oath to be said for the marriage of a man and woman. I always wondered at this. It speaks of mariage, plural marriage, the purpose of marriage but no where in the Bible is it written what should be said for the vows of coming together.
As to the question, I believe that marriage is contained with the Bible as a guide for what works for mankind. Time and again mankind has tried to prove that marriage between non-married partners, partners of the same sex and people and animals can be as fruitful as opposite sex marriages with or without children. Please understand that I am making no comparisons between man and animal or people to people marriages. I have listed them too because they have existed and have been more or less accepted according to the culture it happened in. If you disbelieve it, do a google search on "animal sex," or "beastality," to see how popular it is in our own culture.
Anyway, anytime a civilization has collapsed and another has begun, it usually has begun with the base beliefs in a religion that has emphasis on men to women marriages. Than it evolves into other things.
Of anything that has existed from century to century, from civilization to civilization, it has been the base belief in some god or a religion of a god. I cannot think of the birth of any culture or civiliation wherein a "religious" belief was not born with it.
I think the wisdom of the Bible and other "holy" books other cultures believe in continue to exist to give us something as a base to begin with to grow from or to go back to when we have strayed to far from what has been considered "normal" by people for thousands of years.
Thats my opinion.
 rexetcetera
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/17/2006 9:47:37 PM

If we used what the "Bible" says and NOT "man's traditions" what conclusion would we arrive at as to "when" does marriage begin between a man and a woman?

Can't speak to a Biblical definition, but for me, it began when the SO locked me out of the house for spending an extra 40 minutes and one more beer with the boys. (Keep in mind I arrived home at 10:00 PM after 3 beers, not the wee hours, stinking drunk).

"Divorce" proceedings began the next morning.
 Lisa111968
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/19/2006 11:05:17 AM
A marriage begins when the couple complete speaking their vows to each other and the officiant pronounces them husband and wife, not the signing of a legal (man's definition) document. Think about it: Did Adam and Eve have to have a marriage license signed by God in the Garden of Eden to make their union "legal"? Did any of their many descendants need such a document? I attended Christian school from 5th-12th grade, Baptist church for 10 years, and not once heard of a marriage license bureau mentioned anywhere in either the Old or New Testament. (If anyone can prove me wrong there, please do so.)
 alaska2004
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/19/2006 3:43:20 PM
According to some quick research I did of marriage history and the license that goes with it, it began in about the 1500's. Apparently when men did a lot more traveling for work, being employed by that country's military, etc., men were finding it easy to marry up to more than one wife as they traveled here and there. At times that proved problematic. So the council of trent instituted wedding licenses in 1563. They did it so when two people were considering marriage, it gave the church a chance to tell the people so if anyone had a good reason why they should not be married, there was a three week time limit to post your objections, like one of them being an adulter, not a virgin (the female), already had a wife or two (the male), etc. Apparently there were ongoing contentions after two people got together in marriage with or without witnesses in regards to the previous mentioned things. Especially for people who basically married thenselves to each other. They had no way to prove the marriage. Thus the begining of Church related marriages.
It is an interesting topic. Do a google on the history of marriage to learn more.
 gryphon noir
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:31:54 PM
Yes, you're quite right, Alaska, marriage as we know it today is a social convention, not a Biblically-based one. There is a good reason that the specifics of marriage are not spelled out in either the Old Testament or the New. First of all, there was no need, because everyone knew what marriage meant in their particular place and time, as advised by rabbis, village elders, or priests. In Mediaeval Western Europe, marriage was very much the business of the feudal community. The tradition of the 'best man' originates from the need to publicly prove the identity of the groom, who may have come from a different village. Although marriage was taken very seriously in those days (the penalties for cheating were harsh), there were some exceptions to exclusivity. After looking over some court rolls (part of a university course, way back...) from the 1300s, I realized that there was a bit of a pattern. Maybe someone has done a bit more study on this, and can supply more compete information, but I couldn't find record of any paternity cases where the child in question was conceived around Christmas, or Mayday, and possibly also certain of the 'old' observances. Doubtless, modern day "conservative" Christians wouldn't approve, but the idea of a 'Church wedding' was one that developed slowly, and only became the norm in the early industrial period. That is not to take away from any Biblical admonitions that one should defend the integrity of marriage, only that the definitions aren't fixed absolutely.
 sum1reel
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/23/2006 8:56:40 PM
in biblical times........most women were 'betrothed' at an early age, usually by the parents in the hope of getting a good dowry.......the ceremony was just a ceremomy!...it was conducted by a rabbi, and could have been followed by a feast depending on the wealth of the families involved.......it wasn't unusual for men to have more than one wife at one time either.
 ingraceigo35
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/24/2006 12:22:25 PM
I think that as soon as a couple commits their love to each other before God, and makes the vow to be together, then they are "married". Really, in the old/new testament, a woman should be a virgin prior to marriage, so the first man who takes her sexually should be her husband. Of course, back then, girls married at 12 and 13 years old!
 aaaOneEyeOpen
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/29/2006 4:55:46 AM
Really, in the old/new testament, a woman should be a virgin prior to marriage, so the first man who takes her sexually should be her husband.

From what God says in His word, the Bible, could not this act be what we call the "wedding ceremony" in God's eyes? Could God be recording this act as is her husband? Hmm...
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > When does a marriage begin according to the Bible?