Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you handle a man or woman with chronic gas???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GoldenNugget
Msg: 1
How do you handle a man or woman with chronic gas???Page 1 of 1    
Ok...everyone laughs when someone passes gas...or at least lots of people think it is funny...but I went out a few times with someone who has chronic gas....he is tooting all the time...and I really think he could toot on command! Really...he had stomach surgery...had the intestinal bypass to lose a ton of weight....he said the gas is a side effect of the surgery. The guy is very nice...but it is difficult to be around him for very long...I end up holding my nose...and then I swear I can taste it on my tongue because I am breathing through my mouth! I know it sounds shallow not to date someone with this problem...he actually did tell me he had the problem before we started dating...so I was aware of the problem...

It was so bad that the house smells like a sewer all the time! If he toots while we are eating popcorn or drinking a drink...I cover the drink and ditch the popcorn...anyway it didn't work out because I couldn't handle the funkey smell. His car smelled that way, his house smelled that way....this is not occassional tooting...this is major....nothing seemed to stop his gas except by not eating any carbs...if he went to near Zero carbs he would not pass gas...but he refused to limit his intake....and suffered with the gas.

My question is...has anyone experienced this sort of problem...and how do you get around it? Anti-gas products did not help his problems...so is someone in his situation going to be condemned to live a life alone because he has this problem?...I honestly cannot believe anyone would be able to tolerate that much fermented gas...because it does not smell like a normal fart....it is much worse, he tells me because his small intestined being shortened.

Sorry if this post is long...I tried to make this man's problem clear...and wondered if anyone knows how to handle such a problem or just avoid it.
 aspiring_angel
Msg: 2
How do you handle a man or woman with chronic gas???
Posted: 9/15/2006 3:16:45 PM

Posted: 9/15/2006 253 PM

Hug them cautiously and avoid small cramped places.

bah domp bomp.

Seriously, it wasn't his fault by your own admission. Either deal with it, or don't. If he was all that great, I'd consider it a small flaw and probably put up with it.
 GoldenNugget
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/15/2006 3:25:50 PM
There is no way anyone could get romantic...and we didn't get that far anyway...a mutual decision...but we still are friends. But no, I have an aversion to really bad smells, and I cannot help sometimes showing my distaste by covering my nose...or having to get up and move up wind of him...he can't help it...but in a way he could help it...apparently the carbs is what gives him the gas...I have seen him on near zero carbs and he is wonderful to be around...but his choice of eating makes him intolerable. I don't think anyone can understand how horrible this is...it isn't normal because he has been altered. But anyway..I just wondered if anyone ever had anyone who had that kind of surgery who had that irritable bowl syndrome that goes with it?
 copacabana
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/15/2006 3:26:29 PM
hmmm always have a book of matches on hand?
seriously! maybe when he toots he/you can light a match or two and that will take care of the stink. it works.
glade ultra is also excellent at covering up stink without it smelling like flowers AND stink.
i hope this helps - i'm sure it's horribly embarrassing for him.
 Anti*Hero
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/15/2006 3:29:50 PM
Medications for gas maybe?
 feistycat
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2006 6:46:26 PM
My ex-husband had this problem & my son managed to clear out the entire choir room in high school (which he is very proud of, for some reason). They have both been on various different diets, including vegetarianism, atkins, zone, blood-type, etc....nothing really made much of a difference. Really think this is primarily a male affliction, maybe it's testosterone driven, maybe it's because they actually take some weird pride in the sound & smell. No one knows why that is. If it is a problem for both of you, just go to a gastroenterologist (you have to love that name) & find out if it is indeed something medical. My guess would be this is more of a problem for you than him. You have to accept it or move on. Guys usually don't see it as a real problem, they simply consider it a natural part of living.
 junipermoon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2006 5:31:10 AM
a lot of people find that taking acidophilus daily helps with this problem. a 50/50 blend of fennel and catnip taken as a tea before meals can help too.
 copacabana
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/16/2006 5:32:11 AM
i don't think it's primarily a male affliction - i think it's definitely diet and how you process what you eat. women can have really bad gas as well - we just blame other people when we do it
 Timothy1959
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/19/2006 8:49:39 AM
I got an idea. Just find a way to harness this valuable energy source! Ya know how we are too dependant on foreign oil sources? Well, just fabricate some kind of aparatus to captivate and store this valuable (methane) gas! Then, you could use this gas to power something, like a lawn mower, a generator or even a car?

Think of the potential MPGs !!!

Byrd
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2006 10:51:01 AM
Don't squeeze them to hard while hugging or you might take an unexpected trip...
 Top It
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/19/2006 4:38:41 PM
I handle them ever so gently, and squeeze them even gentlier.
 Byrd
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2006 5:40:37 PM
I like to play tunes...
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/19/2006 9:54:36 PM
maybe try some beano ( give it to them)
and carry around some room freshener.
?

I am always spraying the room when my bf's son comes over.
he's 13 and thinks its so funny he can fart

shesh
how gross. ( yuck)

anyway... I carry the can with me... he farts and I spray...

no problem.
 Kitkat45
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/21/2006 2:51:24 PM
OMG I am so giggling here!!!! Too funny!

OK on a serious note, I think I can understand where the OP is coming from. To be around that type of fermented smell on a continuous basis with his car and house smelling the same? Can we say ewe? The very fact that he knows if he changes his diet, it would make him easier to be around, and he chooses not to? Me thinks he has made the decision himself!
 GoldenNugget
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/21/2006 5:21:24 PM
KitKat, you seem to understand where I am coming from! It is a sewer in his house and car...it doesn't smell like a normal flatulance...Have you ever smelled someone who has a colostomy??? it smells like that..putrid.

If he leaves off most of the carbs...eating an atkins's type diet...he will hardly let off any gas at all...maybe once or twice a day and that is all...but it is constant when on a regular diet.

Anyway, I decided I cannot stick around....the stink sticks to me...when I leave...my family can smell it on me where it settled on me....just like second hand smoke...I picked up second hand fart...eeeeewwwww!
 Byrd
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2006 7:00:08 PM
O.K. O.K. I'll try to be alittle more serious stomach by pass I used to work in close quaters with a gal who had that and she stunk like hell too...I have a real nervous stomach when I go out so I'm not really into going out so much there's not much that can be done for that though so if you gotta go you gotta go, no pun intended..Second hand fart that's pretty good..
 Duchessaa
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/10/2006 3:39:51 AM
Juniper is correct......probiotics or good bacteria (acidophilus/bifidophilus), along with digestive food enzymes (beano is made from enzymes), fennel (an herb) and mostly anything from the mint family (herbs again) will address gas.

Body odor, caused from bacteria, can be addressed by taking parsley pills and chlorophyll, both found in herbal or health food stores.

Also, I wonder if he chews a lot of gum, drinks a lot of carbonated beverages or inhales (gulps) a lot of air when he eats? Is he eating a lot of roughage like broccoli, cabbage, or beans? Addressing some of these issues might be of help.
 Top It
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/10/2006 6:02:06 PM
Very carefully, and don't hug him/her very tightly at any given moment.
 kayvee42
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/10/2006 10:19:41 PM
You light a match and blow them up NOT! just kidding. My husband has awful gas usually be cause he overeats or eats to many dairy products. You can by charcoal capsules you can buy over the counter or put beano on there food. My parents say it works. The problem is whether they will go for it or not. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Karen
 ksue44
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/24/2006 9:15:20 PM
Beans, beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you TOOT OP - how old is this fella? I do ask that, because I had serious issues with gas 2 years ago. I had a wonderful BF at the time, because I farted so much, he gave me the nickname of "Tuba Player". When I had my physical, my Doc asked me how I'd been feeling. I told him "fine, except I seem to fart alot". He told me that is a part of getting older! Hmm, funny thing is, after BF and I broke up, I don't seem to have as much gas. Go figure. Stress as well as diet could be doing it, I know 2 years ago, I had a boat load of stress in my life.
 ~Joy~
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/25/2006 11:18:46 AM
To the OP:

It's not just a male thing...I too had a gastric bypass and I have bad gas also. My family handles it great though, and makes jokes. My kids say not to light a match! I see people posting about beano and such...I will try that.

Ksue44: I have had a lot of stress in my life going to college, but I don't think it makes a difference.

And for romance, I don't think I could be in a relationship with someone without the gas being a problem. So far, I have been able to excuse myself when necessary, or take a walk outside, but I would be mortified if I let one go in front of a new date.

I once told a guy on the first phone call that I had the problem, and he never called again..we stayed email pals for a while until that faded away too...so I think I am never going to have someone for that very reason. I get sad sometimes about it, but I think my problem would send anyone running for the hills, or the air freshener!

passioniteone
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/25/2006 7:27:34 PM
Digestive enzymes............................
 basspower
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/26/2006 2:08:21 PM
gas can be caused by gluten....my dad had that same problem and he changed his diet to where he was not eating any food with gluten any more. this is hard to do since every wheat product has gluten it it, but they sell them gluten free, one just has to look for them. he also started taking nutritional supplements including digestive enzymes and other detoxification nutrition, which helped alot. basically it comes down to what you take in to what you put out, it's your own choice! if you are interrested in some nutritional products that might help balance you diet and overcome the problem check out www.361467.optimal-set.com
 Dontana
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/27/2006 3:56:12 AM
Good Lord - I am not alone - LOL
My Husband is so proud when he delivers his unwanted gas - in public mind you ....
Oh yes - he is a country boy , and considers this a talent .
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you handle a man or woman with chronic gas???