Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Texas  > Possibly relocating to TEXAS. What good/bad about TEXAS?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2uneek
Msg: 1
Possibly relocating to TEXAS. What good/bad about TEXAS?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Afternoon everyone. With the job market in michigan as rough as it is, Ive been contemplating possible offers in the state of Texas. Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington, Plano, and Houston to be more exact.

Aside from the brutal heat in the summer, can I get some input as to what's good/bad about these areas and the state itself. It might help me make a decision on what to do.

Thanks for your help
 browneyedcornflakekiller
Msg: 2
Possibly relocating to TEXAS. What good/bad about TEXAS?
Posted: 9/22/2006 11:06:01 AM
We can welcome you to Dallas with the highest murder rate per capita in the United States for cities over one million. And if you like the music scene and downtown living there is Deep Ellum........15 murders this summer alone! So come on down to Texas where the use of deadly force is both promoted and legal too. Don't forget your guns!
 2uneek
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/22/2006 11:12:25 AM
Well to be honest Im coming from Detroit! You wanna talk about murder rate??

I do appreciate the warning...thank you. Honestly I wouldnt live in the city...what about surburban areas?
 wranglersnroses
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/22/2006 11:15:42 AM
move ta the Hill Country...Bandera, Kerrville, Tarpley, Comfort, etc...closer to San Antonio, Austin area. San Antonio is exploding and the job opportunities are many and varied.
 2uneek
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/22/2006 11:21:07 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info. Is there plenty of shopping, things to do, places for kids to go etc.? Are schools decent in the state of Texas?
 elements69
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/22/2006 12:00:12 PM
if ur coming to the dfw area mesquite schools are good and so mckinney and most districts other then dallas. disd is a a bad district and has been since the 70's.
there plenty to do for kids,familys and and single people alike. u have comedy shows, restruants mideval times that gives u dinner and live show.u have six flags ,wett n wild now hurr. harbor theres so much too do ull busy for a couple of yrs at least.
just go to the chamber of commerce in dallas and ft worth and they will give u a pamplet on things to and coming events.
best advice dont buy a house in dallas city limits, stick to the out skirts of the county.
less crime rate better school, better people.
hope u in joy the great state of texas, its been my happy home for 33yrs.
good luck!
 2uneek
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/22/2006 12:04:24 PM
There we go. THats the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you element...but when you say its your happy home...how come you dont look so happy?
 honeydew64
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/22/2006 12:16:24 PM
Dude! I did Michigan and welcome home...Texas is a state of mind. Great place and great people. Any major metropolitian area has all the aminities. The slower paced life of Central Texas is nice...but for economic reasons Dallas or Houston and Austin are your pick. We have the best attitudes and most beautiful women in the country. Welcome!
 2uneek
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/22/2006 12:21:28 PM
Thanks for the info HD. So how long were you in Michigan...if you dont mind me asking?
 A Serious Reply Only
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/22/2006 12:26:39 PM
The best part about Texas is that I'm here. Haha

Well, I am originally from Houston. Houston is a great place to make money. The pay there is excellent and there are many job openings if not in your field I'm sure you will find something else. On entertainment, Houston has a lot of everything. Depending on what you are into. RIght now they are turing downtown houston into a tourist site which is spectacular. The traffic is awful, this is the reason I don't live there anymore. But I'm thinking of moving back. Hope my input was helpful.
 2uneek
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/22/2006 12:41:29 PM
Thanks again for the info. So far everyone has been great about offering their 2 cents worth. I really appreciate it.
 42moonglow42
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/22/2006 12:45:16 PM
Howdy welcome to Texas 2uneed,
If you don't have any cowboy boots, be sure first thing is buy you some, it does sometime get pretty deep around here, But seriously, Texas is the best state they are, I've lived here, born here 64 yrs. ago, both my parents were too, Cedar Hill is close to Dallas, and growing fast, nice town, further out is Duncanville, it has grown alot, DeSoto is not as good, a little 2 yr. old was kidnaped yesterday there, Waxahachie is good place, has everything you can think of, Wamarts, eating places on about each corner, if you like even smaller, Burleston, Joshua, Cleburne, just about any smaller towns, more shopping than you can shake a stick at, women all over the place, you got six flags at Arlington, kids love, all kinds of water places to play, bowling, tennis, pool, if you like to dance, there all kids of places here and all kids of churches, if you like hot hot weather, grasshoppers, beer you will grow to love Texas, again welcome.
 dallasleo64
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/22/2006 1:34:21 PM
What the hell was all that crap about crime & such.... The beauty of Dallas is the business environment. There are superb employment opportunities regardless of skill-sets, dining, shopping, schools, club scene, etc..., all top of the line, need I mention the women, and you can get twice the house for half the money here. The tone of the town is entirely upbeat, got an airport you can fly to timbuktu non-stop, & package deals to the resort of your choice dirt-cheap. I would definitely choose Dallas over Houston in your case, because you are talking money. The people in Houston are every bit as nice, and the amenities are almost the same, but the humidity & heat would do you in, and the economy to this day is beholden to the oil industry. Bottom-line, In Houston you would probably get paid more, for the interim while gas is high... In Dallas, much more stable employment environment, i.e. the economy is far more diversified... Good Luck...
 TxVelvet
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 2:21:13 PM
Hello,,
I am a native Texan. I have family that lives in the Dallas/Ft Worth area..up that way I would say the most incredible problem is the traffic but you will find that in any bigger city.
Austin is a really nice town, a little of everything in that city..
If you like to fish and do the outdoors thing, as I do understand there is a nice lake in Dallas,
Central Texas has awesome lakes, in and around Temple and Belton, Lake Belton and STill House Hollow lakes are some nice ones.
I live in the hill country which is close to Fredericksburg..about 5 hours from Dallas,,it is beautiful here, very very nice, the Guadalupe River runs thru town. The coast is not that far, well ok it is but it is also very nice..to hot and muggy for me but if you are a beach guy then, you will love it down in Padre Island..
Some of the nicer places around the hill country are Lost Maples State Park..and west texas has Balmorhea State park,,
nice nice nice..
if you want..there is a book that is named Texas ...something you get it from the parks and wildlife website..it will tell you things to do in every city in every town here in the state..
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out. roxxyred@yahoo.com
Velvet~
 TxVelvet
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 2:24:42 PM
Hello,,
I am a native Texan. I have family that lives in the Dallas/Ft Worth area..up that way I would say the most incredible problem is the traffic but you will find that in any bigger city.
Austin is a really nice town, a little of everything in that city..
If you like to fish and do the outdoors thing, as I do understand there is a nice lake in Dallas,
Central Texas has awesome lakes, in and around Temple and Belton, Lake Belton and STill House Hollow lakes are some nice ones.
I live in the hill country which is close to Fredericksburg..about 5 hours from Dallas,,it is beautiful here, very very nice, the Guadalupe River runs thru town. The coast is not that far, well ok it is but it is also very nice..to hot and muggy for me but if you are a beach guy then, you will love it down in Padre Island..
Some of the nicer places around the hill country are Lost Maples State Park..and west texas has Balmorhea State park,,
nice nice nice..
if you want..there is a book that is named Texas ...something you get it from the parks and wildlife website..it will tell you things to do in every city in every town here in the state..
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out. roxxyred@yahoo.com
Velvet~
One more thing,,,be prepared if you travel to the hill country,,, everyone is very friendly and will do kind things for you for no reason and will definately say hello even though you are a perfect stranger :)
 chasingariel
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/22/2006 2:38:19 PM
Hey there! I have lived in Houston for the last 13 years, grew up in Northern Illinois and I love Texas. Like it was said earlier, there is lots to do in Houston, especially restaurants and shopping. If you have kids, it's better to be in the Suburbs, of course. I would personally recommend the Katy or Sugarland areas, although both areas make it terrible to commute into downtown if that's where you work. And I wouldn't worry too much about the heat, everything here is airconditioned. :) If you are looking for answers to more specific questions, I'd be more than happy to help. Good luck!
 VeraMae
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/22/2006 2:46:53 PM
Plano- Great place to live and raise kids. I live in on the border of richardson and plano, and went to plano schools and spent all my time there growing up. They have better educational values than other dallas suburbs, not to mention its very well rounded. of all the cities you listed possible in texas, i'd pick Plano. Good schools, Fun parks for the kiddos, lots of restaurants and things to do for people of all ages.

Not to mention unless you live in WAY east plano.... The crime rate is considerably lower than the rest of the metroplex.

i mean. every city in the metroplex varies. but plano is the most stable and crime free. but there are a lot of "posh" people here in west and north plano. Your best bet is to stick to northdallas communities. Plano, allen, Mckinney. Mesquite and garland and even parts of richardson can get pretty rough. Carrolton is pretty nice. And most of addison is gorgeous with an abundance of culture. Just pick a city and check it out and ask for our opinions
 jenba75069
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/22/2006 4:12:05 PM
NO state income tax... !!!!!
 judypatudy
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/22/2006 4:29:04 PM
Ft Worth is a great place always something going on downtown
Plus Dallas is always in the news more than Ft Worth..
We have crime just not near as much..
But that happens all over the world..
Ft Worth is also driving distance too Dallas just incase
you take a job there..
Judy

COME ON DOWN!!!!
 texasteardrop
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 4:54:27 PM
the only thing they may be bad about texas is the heat,but you can get use to that.i think east texas must be gods country because its beautiful country living,friendly folks. run a check on tyler texas,look at the pictures and you,ll love it.good luck.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:40:59 PM
I LOVE texas...

Im working in Mojave Ca. right know...Oh my-even the cops are stuck-up.

the food...what food, yuck...and those high prices...

there is nowhere like south-central texas, the best nightlife, texas music...the derailers and charlie robison...tons of family fun, great rivers. best bbq...tex-mex mexican food(is there really any other kind) and the ladies are down home yet up town...beautiful...I miss tx so much...

so my advice to you sir is stay home, leave more tx for me...
but if you do come down...bring manners, common sense, and a thirst for life...the rest your learn here...go cowboys...go spurs go.
 whyspr
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:46:25 PM
I lived in Michigan for the first 33 years of my life. Let me tell you about my transference. *smiles* I hated it when i first got here ( dont boo me people, let me explain) I was terribly freaked out by the spider, scorpions and fireants. The heat was ungodly. It seemed like you had to drive forever and two days to get anywhere. In michigan i lived 8 miles from work and i was in a different city, lol.

So here i am in the middle of this lovely hill country, frightened out of my wits and thinking i must of been crazy and most certainly i was now with this heat stroke...

I started meeting people. Texas has the most friendly people I have ever met in my life. Guys opened doors for me, people waved when they drove by, just to wave. No one was rude, or mean to me. On sundays i saw fathers in the parks with their children. Then i started to notice how involved people are in their childrens lives here. Next thing you know, i`m driving into town, windows down, sun shining, admiring the big huge blue sky and realize i had fallen in love with this great state!

The schools vary, depending on where you live. There is almost always something to do. Unless its too hot, you can sit outside ( here in the country) and enjoy the wild animals that come to your back yard if nothing else. Any time you have to drive to get some where, the scenery is worth it.

If your looking to live in the city, i would suggest San Antonio, or Austin, or Houston. No offense Dallas/Fortworth people. Im just scared of your city...tooooo big, smiles. I would think, from what ive seen and heard, Austin would be your best bet. I know a lady that works there and lives out in Coperas Cove (sp) . Its about an hour commute, but what the heck, lol. Be aware though that Toyota is building a new plant on the south side of San Antonio and things in that area should grow considerably.

Bring me some fall leaves if you come.
Whyspr
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:47:13 PM
Plano has very good schools. It's whre folks who make really great money live. If you make so-so money go next door to Lewisville. Still got good schools but the housing is cheaper.
Plano is just North of Dallas and there is a Tollway which is good to get to downtowwn and back.

Arlington is good but traffic is the worst. Arlington is between Dallas and Ft Worth

Ft Worth is funner, nicer place to live than Dallas, but live on the north side.

Austin is prettiest and hands down best place to live in Texas for every reason.
So push that option if you have it.

I would not live in Houston. Great jobs but got nothing else. Heat and humidity are intense. On the coast, but the texas coast isn't that great.

good luck!
Stray
 Da Exception
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:50:59 PM
THE GOOD: DALLAS COWBOYS

THE BAD: HOUSTON TEXANS

That's all the information you really need.
 whyspr
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:55:31 PM
LOL, Mag..you forgot the ugly...
Show ALL Forums  > Texas  > Possibly relocating to TEXAS. What good/bad about TEXAS?