Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > would you ask a total stranger for a date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 akula
Msg: 1
would you ask a total stranger for a date?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
would you ask a total stranger for a date?I just read in another post some guy asked a girl out that he saw in a jewelry store were he shopped.And they end up living together.Isn't that a nice story?Now I'm forward enough to go up to a girl in a bar and introduce myself.But Ive never introduce my self and then asked a girl out like that.Dose this happen often?Is it flattering or scary for women?Has anyone done this?what happened?

At the risk of being a lab rat Ginny pig or the first space chimp ( god bless and god speed little Gordo space chimp)I'm going to say good morning to some lady a the bus stop tomorrow.Just to see what happens.
 loves2eatpie
Msg: 2
would you ask a total stranger for a date?
Posted: 10/6/2006 6:32:26 PM
nothing ventured nothing gained
 kame
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/6/2006 6:36:40 PM
Isnt everyone a total stranger till we get to know them anyways?
 loves2eatpie
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/6/2006 6:44:54 PM
true that by the way my name is Pie
 tishisdishy
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/6/2006 7:16:56 PM
Nobody ever did it to me sooooooooooo can't tell you how i would feel........i think if it were innocent like at my kids school or librrary or something .........i might be ok with it.......
 akula
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/6/2006 7:26:05 PM
oh yes it would be polite conversation in a public place.
 dormilona
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/6/2006 8:34:12 PM
I guess if I were initially attracted to the person, I would be flattered. But, if the guy didn't strike my fancy, I would probably say , 'some weirdo just came up to me at the store and asked me out!"
It all depends on the initial attraction. So yeah, go for it!
 _fireflies_
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/6/2006 8:46:49 PM
you'll never know till you try...
saying pleasantries to a complete stanger in a bus or anywhere is not bad.... it actually is very nice.. you'll never know u make a big difference to thier day...
 SSnPM28
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2006 9:01:21 PM
It happened to me on the train once, I was just sitting listening to my music minding my own, and out of the blue the guy in front of me introduced himself and asked me out.....the fact that he was attractive didn't hurt and I said yea.......We dated for about 10 months and then I moved. So, go for it!! Just try to make it a natural experience and not a weird one....like someone said previously. Otherwise, we will laugh and probably talk about you to our friends.....nah....just kiddin'....

best of luck!!
 ms.belladona
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/6/2006 9:03:54 PM
Sure..why not..I love surprises...
 Just Me:
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/6/2006 9:07:49 PM
I have and it turned out really good...better then good actually things turned out pretty awesome...alternatively there would have to be something pretty special about the person to compel me to do something like that...because otherwise i just wouldn't do that...and as someone mentioned earlier...for the most part these people you ask out will be strangers..ya...thus initiating the process of getting to know them by asking them out...so go for it...you've got nothing to lose...only to gain...especially if it's someone that really catches you...Good luck :) As for getting asked out by a stranger...if there's an attraction...sure...why not...it should be interesting...see where it goes...ya never know...but if there isn't an attraction..then you just politely decline...no harm done.
 heyitsdoug
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/6/2006 10:22:34 PM
Well isn't this a great attitude?

I guess if I were initially attracted to the person, I would be flattered. But, if the guy didn't strike my fancy, I would probably say , 'some weirdo just came up to me at the store and asked me out!"

Sooooooooo if a guy doesn't "strike your fancy" he's a weirdo for being attracted to you?

As for asking out a stranger?
I've done this a few times, and have kicked myself for NOT doing it MANY times!
 jr52052
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2006 9:21:43 AM
I did once...asked a guy to help me with my car (stranded) and offered to take him to dinner for his trouble. He ended up being a great guy but I got transferred and he could not come with me. We lost touch after a while but now and then I get an update. Still a great guy.
 TheBigID
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2006 9:33:40 AM

Sooooooooo if a guy doesn't "strike your fancy" he's a weirdo for being attracted to you?

That's been my experience. Or a creep, a loser, or a jerk.
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/7/2006 9:57:52 AM
people do it all the time.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/7/2006 10:01:43 AM
Sure...I used to do that all the time.
 sambucadawg
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/7/2006 10:07:38 AM
just be polite, leave her some space, keep it casual and smile.

Only a complete bltch, would be turned off from this. Good looking or not!

Always check for a ring first though! If none, your free to try!

and as one other guy said, I wish I did it more often!

I need a "to do" list I'm thinking!
 TheBigID
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2006 11:08:34 AM
To answer the OP: Probably not. Only once in my life have I found myself attracted to someone without knowing anything about them. So, I don't know why I'd approach someone I know nothing about, and immediately ask them out.
 1andlovinit
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/7/2006 11:44:47 AM
what's the worst that could happen? you'd be turned down, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
 cartographer
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2006 11:59:23 AM
I've tried it, got one simple dinner date out of it, but it didn't work out to anything. So many other strangers who have been on single events didn't amount to much. I'm still learning what is the best way to approach people. One of my customers was a former matchmaker and he actually recommends getting to know total strangers by saying:

"Hi, I'm [insert your name here]" and put out your hand. I just worry that half the time I might get pepper spray even trying that. It is so hard to read body language. I'm learning!
 wishuwerhere
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/7/2006 12:05:31 PM
I said this in a thread i tried to start & it went no where ...
But

I met my ex...
In traffic on the parkway( NY traffic is famous)
We kept looking over at each other, smiling & I finally rolled down my window & asked what it would take to get her phone number.
Exchanged numbers right there on the road.

It must have been for some reason we lasted 4 years.

remember... Those who hesitate /master--well you get it... lol
 jazmella
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/7/2006 12:07:10 PM
I've had it happen to me...and it's highly flattering! So, go for it! What have you got to lose? If they decline, at least they're a stranger, so you might not ever have to see 'em again anyway, correcto? Haha.

Take a chance! That's what life's all about. :-D
 kapookie
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/7/2006 1:43:50 PM
that's a skill i've never learned how to do - who knows how many moments i have missed...
 bonzosmontreux
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/7/2006 1:54:56 PM
It's not often, but I've initiated conversation with a girl on a train etc and given her my number in a casual way and gotten a couple of dates that way; puts the ball in their court and, if they don't phone you'll probably never see them again so who cares?!
 867love
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/7/2006 2:18:04 PM
bars seem to be the worst place to meet anyone if you are looking for a lasting or decent relationship. however seems like every other place an excellent opportunity to meet a new stranger. sometimes you just seem to break the ice with them, and everything clicks into place. one time a gal pulled up to me lost, looking for a street -she was just staring into my eyes not listening to my directions -i instantly picked up on what she was thinking, took a chance and leaned in and kissed her, i got her phone number, we spent that whole summer together.
another time walking into the mall, i saw a girl getting out of a red mustang, -she had the longest legs and the prettiest strawberry blonde hair -i was soooo instantly in love, -noticed her front license plate was barely hanging by one little bolt, -i pointed it out to her that it was ready to fall off - she remarked that she wished she had a boyfriend to take care of the car... and her -(snickering), -the next thing i knew we were driving away in her car to get some pizza, and a movie, we talked for hours. she lived quite a distance from me, but we still managed to get together frequently. (whats with me and cars?)
my point is, your going to miss every shot you dont take. dont necessarily have to hit on every girl you see -wait for, or create an opportunity, be friendly, and let fate take it from there.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > would you ask a total stranger for a date?