Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > travelling partner list?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 redneckladee
Msg: 1
view profile
History
travelling partner list?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am fairly new to this site. Is there a list where people can post their user name and where they usually like to travel, when, etc. in order to hook-up with someone? The "single occupancy" really prevents a lot of people from taking holidays.
 diverjohn
Msg: 2
travelling partner list?
Posted: 10/23/2006 6:29:06 PM
I think its a good idea.
maybe a new URL would be something to think about as well, to increase the potential pool of lonely travellers.
Let's see what comes up in this thread.
 CooperS
Msg: 3
travelling partner list?
Posted: 10/23/2006 9:15:45 PM
Good thread, OP! This idea has potential. A way to find like-minded travelling companions and save on single supplement fees (nice!) The possibility of meeting people from other countries who would be willing to act as "tour guides" would be fantastic also.
I'm curious to see where this thread leads....
 pdxairport
Msg: 4
I am going to message the webmaster
Posted: 10/23/2006 10:23:20 PM
Using your search engine type in single travel and you will get sights on single travel.

My experience, traveling alone can be fun, but at nighttime, having that special partner , with you, especially in countries, you won't feel so alone.

Like I live in Long Beach, Washington, a small town of 1280 and I find it is vary hard to find single groups and single travel.
 Karn_Evil_9
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/24/2006 8:26:33 AM
By far the best spot to go for travel partners, current info on travel destinations, advice from fellow travellers is Lonely Planets Thorn Tree site. Just google it.
 SHIRL55
Msg: 6
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 10/25/2006 9:47:01 PM
I am trying to put together a singles cruise for Feb 11/07 - Western Caribbean, if you would more information you can contact me directly.
 Sigi
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/27/2006 9:30:51 AM

By far the best spot to go for travel partners, current info on travel destinations, advice from fellow travellers is Lonely Planets Thorn Tree site. Just google it.

^^ Yep, I agree. 'The Lonely Planet' is almost 'The Bible' among (backpack) travelers.
 eastwestgirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/27/2006 1:05:59 PM
I travel lots by mayself and have to agree that in the day things are great.......it is those long evenings that get lonely. And traveling alone I end up paying a bit more then if
i was with someone else.......a list would be great.
 primadonna5
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:32:00 PM
I'm from Ontario, Canada and also travel quite extensively solo.Hate paying single supplement. I'd definitely be interested in some type of list, whatever, for travel companions.
Count me in!
 pdxairport
Msg: 10
Gosh
Posted: 10/30/2006 2:14:09 PM
If I wasn't so sun sensitive, and hates temps above 50, then I would go.
 Agapantha
Msg: 11
Gosh
Posted: 10/31/2006 1:52:04 PM
Check around with your local travel agencies too, some of them have programmes in place to match people up on trips. Look and see what companies are more pro-single in their style and also do match-ups, etc. I travel a lot with GAP and love the way it balances out my time alone and being a single traveller with companionship, and at no extra charge.

if there are specific travel things that you want to do, see if there are any boards, etc. I know I contemplated doing the Trans Siberian Railroad and found a message board and there were lots of people looking to hook up through that (I didn't go, I went to Thailand and Hong Kong instead).

but i do like the idea of posting a singles list somehow. might be interesting to see if that would work.

oh, and I mention this site a lot, but best site for single women travellers is www.journeywoman.com
 The_Champ_Is_Here
Msg: 12
Gosh
Posted: 11/1/2006 3:52:40 PM
Sucks how travel packages are always based on double occupancy, and how you sometimes get a single supplement added to the price if you go solo.
 all4fun1111
Msg: 13
view profile
History
rv'n
Posted: 11/1/2006 7:51:57 PM
i've been fulltiming in an rv for 6yrs. it's still ok but getting tired of doing it alone. so ya the travel thing would be great.
 indrinita
Msg: 14
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/1/2006 9:34:36 PM
not sure where you can find people wanting to travel with others before you actually start travelling (but I imagine Google might be a good start or Travel Cuts if you're a student). However, I do know for a fact that you are way more likely to meet people somewhere once you do start travelling alone, instead of hooking up with someone beforehand. I guess it just depends on if you might feel uncomfortable doing so or not. I've found however in the past, travelling as a woman on her own to be a pretty liberating experience. No compromises, going where your whims (or the wind) takes you, meeting people from all over, learning more of the local language (because you can't rely on anyone else and you have to at least try to communicate with the local people).

I highly recommend it to anyone to try to go without some kind of itinerary, agenda, or prescribed tour or travel partner beforehand.
 The_Champ_Is_Here
Msg: 15
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/3/2006 7:52:46 PM
I agree, travelling solo is a great feeling. Your first time will be a weird feeling but after that initial day of thinking "Do I look like a loser being alone on vacation" thought goes by the first day, you will enjoy the benefits of travelling solo. You can socialize with people, do what you want, go where you want, and have all the fun you want.
It is fun to have someone with you who may enjoy the same things, but if no one you know mentions they would like to go to the destination you are going to, then do it solo. Never wait for someone to go with you because you may regret not jumping on the chance to go anyhow.
Vegas is awesome solo.
 longte
Msg: 16
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/3/2006 8:46:26 PM
I travel solo most times

Totally awesome to meet so many different people and cultures

A flash hotel is the same everywhere
But hostels are all different
 lafemmefatale
Msg: 17
I am looking for a travelling partner
Posted: 11/5/2006 2:40:25 PM
Hi, I was wondering if you have been successful in your quest. I originally from Montreal, they have many different spots for people who is looking for travel partners. Allo Stop is one of them. In Winnipeg, I have been trying to put something similar into place, but I did not get any positive feedback from people. I was contempleting going somewhere for Christmas, I am single, the single supplement prevent me from going because I cannot afford it.
 outdoorsysweetie
Msg: 18
Gosh
Posted: 11/5/2006 8:27:43 PM
The Champ said:

Sucks how travel packages are always based on double occupancy, and how you sometimes get a single supplement added to the price if you go solo.

Tell me about it!! *scowl*

I subscribe to emails from a couple of travel sites, and they always post these amazing deals. Yeah. no. When I proceed to go a bit further into it, and say 1 adult no kids, the price sometimes doubles. This is so discouraging. :(

Alot of my friends *in real life* are married with kids, or without funds to travel a whole lot.

*sigh* a travel companion would be great. But in my opinion, the more plutonic, the better. It just seems better that way. Less distraction from where you are.
 swineheart
Msg: 19
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/20/2006 11:37:13 PM
Go to Virtualtourist.com for lots of interesting reading on feedback from other travellers...register...then go from there!
 welder_guy
Msg: 20
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/21/2006 1:22:13 AM
you should check out www.couchsurfing.com

it might help you out
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 21
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/21/2006 11:02:09 AM
For what it's worth, I'm currently working on building a site for those whose lifestyle keeps them on the road. It will be divided into sub-categories, e.g. Truckers, Bikers, RVers. It will be based around dating site software with many, many features including info on proposed legislature, weather and road conditions, forums, bulletin boards, chat and other interactive activities. The site will be 100% free. I share the sentiments of the good people of POF in that regard.

This is closer to the beginning stages than the ending so please don't think I'm spamming. I have no place to send anyone yet. Just wanted to let you know that something like that is in the works. Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have utmost respect for POF and the way things are being handled here. I intend to promote them on my site when it is up and running. I very much enjoy the forums here and would never knowingly do or say anything detrimental concerning the process here. This is a great community and an apt role model. There are many wonderful people here. I sincerely hope that this declaration doesn't get me banned but I thought you might like to know that someone is working on it.

Ed
 Summering
Msg: 22
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/21/2006 9:12:42 PM
It would be nice if there was such a website that would list interested parties by cities/towns. It will not be very helpful if someone in British Columbia has to travel to Quebec to find a travelling partner.
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 23
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/22/2006 4:05:51 PM
Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify. By constructive input I meant suggestions and requests. I am NOT asking for money. The more I considered my wording, the less I liked it. Hope nobody misunderstood.

Ed
 Hot Snowman
Msg: 24
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/23/2006 10:31:16 AM
I just don't know if I would do it without knowing that other person EXTREMELY well. This isn't a date where after four hours, you go your separate ways. You're making a commitment for the entire trip. I think there would have to be a lot of discussion about what you're going to do on the trip so you don't have different agendas. And then there is the problem of everything being planned out. When I go on a trip, I'm very loose about my agenda. If I hear of a local festival in a village nearby, I'm there. I hear a report about big trouble in a city I'm about to visit and I make other plans. If a major front moves in and it will be raining for days, I leave and head some place sunny.

However, if PoF were to help form up groups of singles to destinations, I might give that a try. Not sure. The demographics of the group would affect my decision.
 Raincoast_Chick
Msg: 25
view profile
History
travelling partner list?
Posted: 11/27/2006 5:31:55 PM
www.journeywomen.com
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > travelling partner list?