Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Anyone else annoyed with fundamentalists?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nymbus_Zero
Msg: 1
Anyone else annoyed with fundamentalists?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I am posting this because I am
sick of religious people judging others and pushing
their religion on to other people!

Its the reason I switched from
Baptist to CFC
Christians For Cannabis.

At least people there don't judge/make my mind for me
like my old church and well all Baptist chuches I have been to do!
 nice2cu
Msg: 2
Anyone else annoyed with fundamentalists?
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:20:54 AM
*pushes foot in door*

Mind if I read you a few scriptures?!
JK.

Yes I'm tired and annoyed with fundamentalists but it won't make them go away.
The only thing you can do is stick to what you believe and don't try to argue with them.
They're bent on converting you.
 Nymbus_Zero
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:32:01 AM
Then again not all baptist people
are bad just them people who can't appreciate a person's thoughts and beliefs for what
they are.

Its just really frustrating!
 EnglishFrog
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:53:00 AM
Have you ever noticed that when people come knocking and want to discuss faith with you....They never want to hear about your's!!!
 ihavebeenloved
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/24/2006 11:00:55 AM
You should be tired of the whole world shoving atheism and a secular way of living, down your throat.

Try to see it from a Christian POV and you'll realise how much harder it is for a Christian to live in a secular society, than for an atheist in a Christian society.

BTW people going door to door with a bible, just to let you know how much God loves you, are indeed annoying. Its a free world, if someone decides to be a christian he doesn't need advertisement to do it.
 Grace04
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/24/2006 5:46:48 PM
I have thought about this as a Christian as I have heard this complaint from many. We know that this type of approach is not with the spirit of Christ, BUT,,, if we look at what their motive is I believe it stems from love. I think we need to extend our grace and understanding as I think the people who come across like that have pure intentions even if their tactics may leave much to be desired. As far as passing judgement don't we all in our naturelness do this. Aren't you in essence passing judgement on those who preach the gospel as they understand it? For the most part we will not pass judgement on people for some of the same things we have experienced, but if we look deep in our hearts there are numerous times where we believe by someones actions we know the intentions of their heart. Just a thought...
P.s. Go easy,,, this is my first post.
God bless.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2006 7:12:31 PM
Bravo Grace, you are absolutely right. Those fundamentalists that seem to have skipped the whole not casting the first stone portion of the Bible and those that seem bent on forcing their beliefs on others irritate me like crazy and I then am essentially doing the same thing. Maybe we would be more tolerant if we thought of them as Jesus' short bus passengers.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/24/2006 9:30:54 PM
In answer to the question...

Yes.

Yes I am.

Y'know a basic course at a community college on the History of Religion or Comparitive Religion, Introductory Philosophy, then The Origins of Near Eastern Religion would help a lot of these folks...some may need to be physically restrained for the duration...shock prodded if need be...eye-drops applied a la Clockwork Orange.

The concept of "mythological language" needs to be studied by all of them. Metaphor. Basic Archaeology.

Knowing the real history might take away some of the EZ Sunday School level thinking and the Mir-A-Kulz but it can also put you more in touch with the real people and places...

I admit freely, I am not a believer...I have friends who are, among them some quite devout, and we engage in many discussions. They know how I feel and we have quite illuminating and productive talks...they make no efforts to convert me, nor I them...I respect their right to believe what they believe...but by the same token, I don't walk on eggshells around the historical or factual realities of the places, people, archaeological record, writings and other faiths that have co-mingled to form today's Christianity.

So I really don't get on too well with fundamentalist, literalist, celestial-bench-pressers.
 Open_Book
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/24/2006 9:49:29 PM

Try to see it from a Christian POV and you'll realise how much harder it is for a Christian to live in a secular society, than for an atheist in a Christian society.

That's a tired argument. Do you even know the percentage of people in the world that are non-religious?

Peace
 lateā„¢
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:42:12 PM

The other HUGE difference, non-theists aren't lobbying to take away the individual and equal rights and freedoms of Christians or any othe Faith, the converse however, is not the case.
 Jarbarian
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/24/2006 11:24:27 PM
Funny thing, I never push my beliefs on anyone but am glad to give my testimony if asked. I think by living my life the way God intended, as an example, is the best way to show others without having to open your mouth.
 sum1reel
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/24/2006 11:52:34 PM
at the OP

Its the reason I switched from
Baptist to CFC
Christians For Cannabis.

^........baptists, just like various other denominations, tend to be influenced (or swayed) by a certain culture that defines them regionally......i say this because NOT all baptists are 'fundamentalists'........NOR, are all fundamentalists judgemental!!!
 Feral
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2006 1:23:41 AM

am posting this because I am sick of religious people judging others and pushing their religion on to other people!

I can dig it. No worries, mate. Whatcha do, is ignore them. Believe it or not, it works. Show interest, even the negative interest of argument, and they've got a hook in you. Once upon a time, I went to a Christian church. Really got into some of the ritual, the songs, etc. But, somebody shows up to try and tell me what I'm supposed to take away from the service or the Scriptures, you'd be surprised how easy it is to smile at them, and turn back to the pure Word. Heck, it might piss them off, but what're they gonna do if you're too busy reading the Good Book to listen to the sermon?

Yes I'm tired and annoyed with fundamentalists but it won't make them go away.
The only thing you can do is stick to what you believe and don't try to argue with them.

I do have to give you that it gets a bit tedious, hearing the dogma day in, day out. Try being Pagan in Springfield, MO, the home and headquarters of the Assemblies of God. Then try working in a bookstore there.

They're bent on converting you.

For some, maybe most. It surprises me, sometimes, though the eerie appearance of similarity to someone trying to bolster their own faith by arguing it with others who really don't care.

Have you ever noticed that when people come knocking and want to discuss faith with you....They never want to hear about your's!

Interesting point. I never get missionaries, myself, but it would be interesting to see how that would play out...

You should be tired of the whole world shoving atheism and a secular way of living, down your throat.

Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart. Yes, it's all too common to see all those atheists riding their bicycles around town, going door-to-door, trying to spread the word that there is no god. Oh, no wait. You never do see that, do you?

Wow, you just got gonged! But, I do identify. It certainly is difficult living in a society where one is constantly reminded of such things. Going to work every day, I'm constantly struck by the profusion of Salvation-Is-Nonexistant Army stores, Not-A-Saint Regular Guy hospital ambulances, people on street corners arguing at the top of their lungs that there's no such thing as a soul. And, don't even get me started on all the folks I deal with on a daily basis, draped all about with their atheist-symbol medallions and t-shirts without religious slogans, especially the ones that say good-bye with a hearty "No one bless!"

Its a free world, if someone decides to be a christian he doesn't need advertisement to do it.

Now you're preaching to the choir.

Msgs 6 and 7

I entirely agree. Thank you, Grace, for pointing out the beauty that "turn the other cheek" is restricted to neither overt hostility, nor any particular faith.

Knowing the real history might take away some of the EZ Sunday School level thinking and the Mir-A-Kulz but it can also put you more in touch with the real people and places...

Well said, Fiddlr. I'd honestly be more impressed (and have been) with the ability of some Christians (as well as those of other faiths, it comes to that) to educate themselves in the fullness of the religion and realise that "live and let live" is a perfectly valid way to honour the faith.

I think by living my life the way God intended, as an example, is the best way to show others without having to open your mouth.

If only memes would spread throughout a population like genes...
 ihavebeenloved
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/25/2006 6:17:33 AM

That's a tired argument. Do you even know the percentage of people in the world that are non-religious?

I think an official number would be a bit over 20%?

But also many religious people live a secular life, that is hardly any different from that of a non religious one.
 gijanekris
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/25/2006 8:03:58 AM
That such an oxymoronic statement..

Because God says don't judge, invite and save...

No pushing, judging allowed ..

Because we are only human and don't know the whole history of a person or enough of their current state to judge... only the big spirit in the sky can to do that..

I am confused how can anyone make up someone elses mind.. i thought we were in charge of our own minds..
 Nymbus_Zero
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/25/2006 8:21:21 AM
I myself am a christian for cannabis and
if anyone wants to ask what that is go for it!

but thank you last poster number two it helped me out alot
now I feel better so no
more rant from me for awhile!
 RDtoo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2006 9:21:22 PM
Mr. Nymbus, you are correct. Christians and other religious types can be an annoying bunch. I think most of them mean well though. My question to you is it really the people you are annoyed with or what you interpret as the rules you have to live by?
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/26/2006 12:32:00 AM
I and I thought the Rastaferi were the christians for cannabis, haa, but do tell Mr. Nymbus. I and I are interested.
 Nymbus_Zero
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/26/2006 9:35:49 AM
Its a religious faction of Baptism originating in California
their views on marijuana do indeed see it as a medicinal plant and are pushing towards
legalization along with N.O.R.M.L
 Bright1Raziel
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/26/2006 10:46:15 AM

If only memes would spread throughout a population like genes...

Then when someone asked "how was your day, you would have to shag them to pass on the information! I like this idea! lol.

Anyways, yes. Fundies of all types anoy me, not just the Christian fundies, but Muslim fundies and White supremists and all kinds of fundies. You even get fundie Pagans, they are some of the most iritating people I know. Going on about free love and protect the planet, animal rights and all this stuff, but they are more prudish than anyone of my Catholic friends and go about in thier 30 year old gass guzling cars, eating soya that was grown on a plantation and smoking cigarets!

And yes, they do try to convert you as well. I have not yet met a Pagan fundie that has not tried to convince me to stop eating meat, go green, or that women are perfect. Its just as anying as the fundies preaching to you when they don't truely belive what they are preaching.
 obliq
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/26/2006 11:14:31 AM

ihavebeenloved: Try to see it from a Christian POV and you'll realise how much harder it is for a Christian to live in a secular society, than for an atheist in a Christian society.

Do you live in fear of your life for what you believe? Because I can say, as an atheist, I would live in fear of my life if a christian theocracy took hold in the U.S.

If Lot could live in Gemorrah, christians can live in a secular U.S.

-----
A christian theocracy in a free, democratic state? That would be iranic.
 ihavebeenloved
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/26/2006 11:42:37 AM

Do you live in fear of your life for what you believe? Because I can say, as an atheist, I would live in fear of my life if a christian theocracy took hold in the U.S.

If Lot could live in Gemorrah, christians can live in a secular U.S.

My home country, Greece, has not separated Church from the state. Close to 95% of the population is Christian Orthodox, and we even have a cross on our national flag. All individual religions of the minorities are respected, but we don't allow proselytism of any kind. And guess what? We have democracy! We've actually invented it! And ancient Greece was the one of the first countries to accept Christianity given the fact that we were the ones that give birth to philosophy that became such a big part of the western civilization.

So a Christian state can exist together with democracy and freedom.

Theocracy though is something else. I definitely don't agree with it and if mr Bush is looking forward for something like that, he is even more dangerous than i thought.

Jesus Christ said "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. " And that i think means that there are distinct differences between a state and a religion and one should not take over the other. That however doesn't mean they can't co exist in harmony.
 RDtoo
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2006 10:43:48 PM
Yoo Hoo, Mr. Nymbus. You haven't answered my questions. Can you?
 Rareorchid
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/29/2006 10:57:17 AM
May I recommend a book to you?

It's called "When Bad Christians Happen to Good People" by Dave Burchett.

He examines some important themes, including the fact that less than 1% of Christian adults have a grasp of basic theological concepts like whether or not Jesus sinned, or if Satan is real or just a symbol.

Read, read, read! Learn, learn, learn.

Or don't.
 Feral
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2006 4:46:36 PM

Read, read, read! Learn, learn, learn.

Feral votes we keep this lady.

...the fact that less than 1% of Christian adults have a grasp of basic theological concepts...

I might question the source as to methodology in arriving at a figure that small, but it does sound like a good read. Gee, thanks. Thanks a freakin' heap for giving me another book to read!
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Anyone else annoyed with fundamentalists?