Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Karma...does it really come back around?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lady-fair
Msg: 1
Karma...does it really come back around? Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
My personal beeeeeeef is that my little brother, who I absolutely love and adore (and want to beat senseless occasionally...) was jumped the other night.

My mother and I have raised him that if you see a woman that is in trouble, you do what you can to help her, even if it just means calling the cops and whatever else.

So...this helpless looking female comes up to him on his way home from the bar the other night and proceeds to kick him square in the nuts.
Then, three large men come up out of the shadows and beat him. His wallet did not have any money in it, so they threw it back at him. they broke his phone instead of taking it...when they were beating him, they broke it. Go figure!.
My brother is not a small young man, he's skinny, but he's not small...but three on one after being kicked THERE by some girl who was probably being paid to do it...ouch. Not a fair fight by any stretch.
They found his inhaler, took it from him....and told him to Run.
He Ran. He got home and was absolutely mortified....men don't like to run away from a fight apparently, even if it is completely unfair.
He was darn near in an asthma attack as well...

SO bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people. But how come people get all uppity when you WANT karma to come around and bite someone in the butt?

I mean, the kid was being responsible and not drinking and driving and he gets beaten by a bunch of neandrathals who probably knew better anyway and just wanted some money but didn't get any money so they were even more cruel....It's almost enough to make you say screw it, and drink and drive anyway...to stay safe...(even tho its not safe but you get the idea)

I simply don't understand people. Why they do the things they do.

So...does karma really come around, or is it just an idea put in place for those of us who believe people deserve to be punished for their crimes? And when legal institution does not or cannot make it happen...it happens on its own?

I don't believe we should feel guilty for teaching him to help out women in need...but I do feel guilty for not teaching him that some women are desperate and will do just about anything for a buck... *sigh*
 buttonsone1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Karma...does it really come back around?
Posted: 11/6/2006 10:20:11 AM
Usually people who do bad things such as this don't have anyone that really loves them they have terrible families and their friends use them... Some have such low self esteem and hate themselves...

One day they are going to do something bad to the wrong person and yes I strongly believe in Karma.

My ex that stole huge amounts of money from me has now (from what I have heard) stolen money from his family members and friends. I guy I know from high school who used to beat up people for fun and always with an unfair advantage is now in a mental institution.
 Jarbarian
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/6/2006 2:13:52 PM
Karma? I dunno. I think bad things happen to bad people because they put themselves in that position. God will be the judge of us all so in the end, bad people will get their just rewards.

I don't believe in an eye for an eye. Don't blame your brother for running. It wasn't a fair fight to begin with. It's brave to stay and fight but not smart when the odds are against you.... he did the right thing.
 Jarbarian
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/6/2006 2:19:12 PM
Duplicate post....
 SweetTreat
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2006 2:34:18 PM
That totally sucks lady:( But yes I beleive karma comes back around. It may not be instance for instance...meaning just because they beat on your bro, doesn't mean they'll get it back by being beaten on themselves...but it will come back to hit them where it hurts...for them. Whether that be involving money, family, possessions, etc. I'm a HUGE beleiver in karma.....so don't worry, they will get theirs..in time, in that funky karmatic way.
 montanadharma
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/6/2006 3:35:18 PM
Someone on here once said that karma is not necessarily energy you bring from past lives or even the energy you carry with you that attracts like energy. Instead it is patterns of behaviors that bring with them certain repercussions. I like this because it gives one a sense of control over one's destiny and the outcomes of actions taken. That being said, crappy stuff happens and I don't know if it's karma or just chaos theory in action.

It seems the closer I get to living in a way that is not in line with the "system" the system cracks down on me. I see that as not really being karma but that the system is a force of destruction and negativity and not of creation and healing, but that's just me.
 JMars
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/6/2006 4:08:17 PM
Past actions always have a bearing on the present, as a simple matter of the laws of cause and effect.

The Anglo-Saxons called the ever building force of the past *wyrd* (Old Norse - urdhR).

Of course bad things will happen to good people, as there is more than individual wyrd to figure into the equation. There is also the Wyrd of family, firends, society, and the rest fo the world. It's all internconnected, across the breadth of the present and on into the depths of the past.

The thing is, your kinsmen is surrounded by people that genuinely love him and care for him. chance are he will grow old and die that way when his time comes. The people who mugged him on the other hand will probably suffer more and more the older they get, as a direct result of the choices they made, in terms of company and deeds, in the here and now.

One cannot always expect a personal return on one's good deeds. But we do them anyway in hopes that they will pay off with our descendents and the type of world they are born into.

Cheers!
 MysticAnjel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2006 5:13:26 PM
I believe karma comes back around, because I have seen it...not only bad, but good as well. One of my favorite ones involves an ex. I caught him messing around with another girl behind my back. I wanted to strike back in some way, but finally asked Spirit to take over, so I could move on. About 6 months after I left him, he told me about the vacation he just came back from with his "friend". They had gotten in an argument and she proceeded to kick in in the groin....so bad he had to have surgery to repair the damage. Sorry guys, but I roared, laughed so hard I was crying. He thought I was being mean and I told him that I knew he would be punished for what he put me through...I just didn't know it would be sooooo appropriate. Showed me that spirit has a great sense of humor, and if you give your frustrations and need to "get back" at someone over to spirit...it will be taken care of in a way you couldn't even imagine.
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/6/2006 8:08:29 PM
I will try not to go too deep into this. First off I am sorry to hear that OP and it really sucks when incidents like that happen.

I won't say much , but rather teach him that it is good to stand up for oneself also and just don't take that sort of stuff. I beleive that chickens do come home to roost and those people if they don't apologize for that are not going to get very far with that.

I know it's tempting to do something back....but I would just try to get over that if possible and there is always the cops remember so they can handle this.
 lady-fair
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/7/2006 6:57:28 AM
Getting over the thing is pretty much the only possibility. As he could not identify any of the people.

He absolutely did the right thing by running, but had he gone into an asthma attack without his inhaler I might have been much more angry with them/the world. It wasn't the fact that he ran that I was upset with, it's the fact that they took his inhaler just to see if he'd stop breathing and die.... He's a dumbdumb sometimes but he's still my baby brother...no matter how old he gets.

I'm angry with his friend that ditched him in the first place. My brother would NEVER leave people to fend for themselves after agreeing to be the designated driver. He might say "Dude, I don't have enough room in the car, so two of you will have to hang out here for a while longer until I get back from dropping everyone else off." but that's not quite the same thing as leaving them to fend entirely for themselves.

The initial reaction I had was obviously "Let's go out in the car and find them and break their legs...if they wanna play, we'll play." But of course that is not what happened. We just stayed up all night talking and stuff...and I insisted if he ever got into that situation to either spend the money on a taxi, or call me or my mother and we would come get him.

Still regardless of that, the thought that they will be taught a lesson, by someone else...bigger and stronger, or littler and stronger makes no difference to me... as long as they learn and go "Hey! that's what I've been doing to people...no wonder nobody likes me." Makes me happy. Only enough to learn them mind you, not repeatative punishment...just enough.

He knows it is good to stand up for himself, had he been with someone else he would have fought more to protect them. Or had he been in more of a fair fight he would have done more to protect himself, but the fact of the matter is it was 3 on 1...which is not fair at all. Not to mention the *insert negative word for females* who sacked him so they would have an even bigger advantage. The situation was simply unfair...

The concept that it could be returned karma from family members is a kind of interesting one. I never quite agreed with 'the sins of the father reflect on the son' .... it's not his fault.

Thanks for posting everyone... :)
 ashley1861
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2006 1:34:40 PM
I've relied on karma having the final say in situations, rather than be retalitory... but then I don't always see those results. And doncha' just wonder what horrible deed was done to receive some of the bad luck surrounding me-own wee wicked life????
 lateā„¢
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/7/2006 1:44:44 PM

Sometimes it takes a life or two, or three, or four, ...
 cihoocih00
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2006 6:55:25 PM
yes, believe it.
 indrinita
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/7/2006 8:12:51 PM
Without a doubt, karma comes around, sometimes instantly (as John Lennon put it!). This applies for both "good" and "bad" actions, so I would say it was pretty awful for your brother to go through what he did, but there are certain laws in the universe that go into action after something like that. I've seen it happen so many times happen on its own without having to take action. But I wouldn't say that would be a good reason not to take action in this case. If you find the whereabouts of these perpretrators, they have committed a crime, and of course there are human instituted ways of making karma work as well!

I don't think you should feel guilty for wanting karma to come around, it will in any case!
 jr52052
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2006 8:42:32 PM
sooner or later - sure

Here is something else...just because you can justify an action to yourself...the Karma sees right thru it. Can't cop a plea with Karma, it knows. Lieing to yourself would stop Karma.
 seriouslyfunnylady
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2006 5:02:47 AM
Lady,

I am so sorry your brother had to go through this, sometimes life really isn't fair.

Does Karma come back around. Without a doubt and no you are not bad or evil to hope that they get paid back in kind.

When I was a Christian I use to tell my kids *breads upon the water* what you give out you will recieve. The idea of *paybacks* is through all religions, so there must be some merit to it. Sometimes we are fortunate enough to see what happens, sometimes we have to trust in powers outside ourselves to handle it.

Tell your brother there are women out here in the world that appreciate a man that is willing to help out a lady, I truly hope this experience doesn't jade him to the point where he will turn his back on someone in need.
 Titanvalley
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/8/2006 5:46:57 AM
There is a parallel with Karma and discipline. God takes revenge for injustices, and disciplines those He loves for their sins as with King David. More knowledge and power then, more of a shadow is cast by sin and the sinner walks into his own shadow. God sets it before him. David suffered for his adultery. Just, it was salt to a wound. Painful yet giving him justice and peace afterward. Also read Heb 12.

Also this is a cruel world, sometimes bad things happen to good people.
 rainskiss
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/8/2006 8:08:40 AM
I am a firm believer in Karma I have seen it to many times

My step dad molested me, tortured me, did unbelieve things to me-His Karma
He died a very slow, painful, miserble death of cancer in his d*ck...poetic justic?

My mom, she knew ever thing, she even told me she gave me to him so she was free to spend his money and stay gone and do what ever she wanted with who ever she wanted.
The only times she did come around was to beat on me, degrade me or remind me how she wished I was dead.
Her Karma- I was granted a full emancipation at the age of 15 and everyone in our little town knew exactly then what kind of hell I had been living in. I tryed to keep some kind of relationship with her, but after my first son was born, I walked in the room just as she was about to back hand across the face..I left her and never looked back, until 6 years later I got call saying someone broke into her house, raped her, beat her, then slit her throat left her to die..Karma?
 ashley1861
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2006 9:08:42 AM
Jeez Rain I'm glad you were able to escape and emotionally proper. Even as a child you saw that other children didn't have the same life - so you knew a good lifestyle when you saw it; and you aspired to a happier life. I'm glad you could see through it and rise above that. And your working with animals now is you giving back.

Yeah Karma!!!! The love you get from the little furballs is good vibe payback in small spurts.
 JMars
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/8/2006 1:15:31 PM
Here is a good illustrative instance of "karma" from my own recent adventures...

I was leaving my favourite karaoke bar a few weeks back and found my ex's boyfriend, the loser she left me for, waiting out in the parking lot for me along with his best friend... who is supposed to be quite the brawler and to have never lost a fight.

Why, exactly, they were there I don't know. Apparently I somehow screwed over the ex's boyfriend. Yeah, *I* screwed *him* over. Now there's some convoluted logic for ya.

Anyway, I tried to walk away, but they followed me for a block before I got tired of the taunts and, while still smoking a cigarette, I knocked Mr.Brawler on his a*** and then piefaced the other off of me when he tried to tackle me.

The cops pulled up about that time and simply told me to go. Well, all right Mr.Constable, sir. I love when that happens ;)

But thats not even the best of it. Despite the fact that I only threw a couple of jabs, Mr.Brawler somehow ended up with a broken ankle. Maybe he broke it when I knocked him down, I dunno.

So, a nice shiner, a bloodied elbow (from the fall) and a broken ankle... from two or three jabs. PLUS, this guy had some outstanding warrents or something like that so the cops showed up at his house the next day and he is facing a year in jail now. And to top it all off, he attempted to commit suicide -- you know "attempted", ie. with no intent of actually succeeding -- a few days later.

There is a few "comes-around-goes-around" in there. I mean, how many men would love to have a pience of the guy that "stole" their ex? And how often does that guy deliver himself right into your hands?

And if this guy has never lost a fight, who exactly has he been fighting?!? I can imagine, 'cause I know the type.

Not that I'm a violent or overly vindicative guy. I have to be "jump-started". Outside of that, or seeing my young son set to tears over something, I'd rather everyone to just get along. 'Specially when alcohol is involved. Drunk fights are invariably pathetic.
 zenandtheartof
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/8/2006 5:40:13 PM
Karma is usually incorrectly taught as in what goes around comes around. This is simpy a misunderstanding of Karma. Karma means action, but more importantly it means that a persons actions create their reality. This has a subtle depth to it that must be explained, firstly most actions come form a place of unawarenes, meaning that we aren't even aware of tthe motivations of are actions. When we act from such unskillfulness we are bound to create trouble and suffering for ourselves and others. So Karma doesn't go around or come around it never leaves it is the results of your unconcious mind. So if someone is violent their life is filled with conflict and will be filled with much misery.
 Interdimensional
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/9/2006 2:19:13 PM
^^^^^Well put. i find it fascinating now that physics is starting to reconcile with this notion...mind does create matter and so reality.
 dunrich
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/9/2006 6:17:21 PM
Karma as looked at as revenge does not happen in this earth I think.

If the same thing happens to the perpertrators of this crime against your brother, has the same thing happen to them, it will still not be the equivalent, or justice scale being equalled.

Your brother, being a decent well brought up fellow, will have loss a lot of his ideals and sense of right and wrong. Unfortuanately, the perps of this crime do not have that admirable ability, to lose.

Same with cheats, when a cheat gets cheated on, they dont have beliefs of honour to lose, they never had it to begin with.

What these thugs may lose when they are mugged one day, is different, perhaps their pride of how tough they think they are.

The cheat wont be hurt the same as their spouse/ victim, who believed in loyalty, for they are not loyal. Perhaps though, they will hurt because they thought they were the hottest around, now their ego may be damaged.

I like to think of it along the lines that what you do to others, will effect you some way. Not the identical thing, but like energy, it is never destroyed but rather takes a new form.
 freedombaby
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/20/2008 9:17:07 PM
The Bible refers to The Spiritual law of reaping and sowing. Which is What some call Karma. It's a biblical promise from God. When someone continues in good, good things come into thier lives, (Not saying that bad never happens, but the bad often works for good.) Those who continue in evil will experience more evil in thier lives. (They will also experience good, but the good will often lead to more evil). God say's Revenge is mine sayeth the Lord! I will repay!. God will pay back. But, you must truthfully forgive them in order to set that in motion. Your brother must forgive them. Which means let them off the hook. Just like we want God to let us off the hook. When we do that, God takes over and He deals out justice as He sees fit. But, remember God loves you and He loves them. God' s Justice in this world, is designed to bring people to a point where they will be saved and give thier life to him, not to rectify a wrong. God allows bad stuff sometimes so we will seek Him, But ultimately it is God's goodness that brings people to Him. The fact that we don't get what we deserve. God will take care of it one way or another.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:04:19 PM
I cannot speak for others. But I have experienced what harm I caused others ended up on me, and what harm others caused me ended up being inflicted on them by others. But there were a few things about that Karma:
1) It often happened a long time time later on, sometimes years later, after I had let go of the issue.
2) It happened that the person got a "dose of their own medicine", but not in the same way that they did it to others because they were not going to let it happen. So it happened slightly differently to them. But they ended up experiencing what I did.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Karma...does it really come back around?