Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Marriage for Citizenship not Love      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Krystaldiamond
Msg: 1
Marriage for Citizenship not LovePage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
What are your opinions on this topic? Know anyone that did it and then the marriage lasted? Unfortunetly, it does go on here and in other locations. Are the Immigration laws so tough that people are resorting to this in relationships to stay in the country? What do you think? I have heard of men on single's sites getting tons of letters requesting "out of the country dating" but do women get this as much? Just curious.....
 RedneckHippy
Msg: 2
Marriage for Citizenship not Love
Posted: 11/9/2006 10:48:59 PM
It usually isn't a relationship, so much as
it is a financial arrangement to obtain
citizenship.
 es138
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/10/2006 1:51:55 PM
I think that any relationship has the potential to last. Arranged marriages don't have a very high right of divorce, and with the divorce rate in the states, marriage seems to be already exploited. We even exploited on the political fronts. So marrying for citizenship does not seem to be such a nasty concept to me... not at this day in age.

I was checking out what women around the world look like on POF I and found a lot of Thai profiles that were created by "match making" agencies for women who don't speak english or are unclear on how to appeal to western men. And the language on these profiles alludes to the fact that they are looking exclusivly for American men to wed.

The reverse: men marrying American women does occur but I think it's much more streamlined. I have a family friend whom married 3 maybe 4 by now, middle eastern men. They usually are very wealthy and have no interest in riding out the marriage till death do them part. They're typicly Saudi or Iranian and there is a really chunky dowry for compensation.
 Hedda Lettuce
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/10/2006 2:07:07 PM
I saw this all the time in the military. They started out as prostitutes or strippers, found a lonely guy, and the rest is history. Then when the guys would leave on deployment, the hoochies went back to the old life style. Talk about drama!
 Krystaldiamond
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/10/2006 2:11:57 PM
Damn Hoochies..............LOL
 ~Joy~
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/10/2006 3:02:13 PM
Some guy from Trinidad tried that with me....He tried to force his culture onto me also...I got rid of him....and I would never do it again...EVER.
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/10/2006 3:19:08 PM
I wouldn't marry someone just so they could become a citizen of the US. If I ever did marry someone from another country, it would be because of love. Moving to another country would be a huge sacrafice , so if(big if, probably wouldn't) I did, it would be for love not to gain citizenship in another country. I say it would be a huge sacrafice, because other than Canada, most of the world would be so far away I would seldom get to see my children or grandchildren. He would have to be one hell of a man to get me to move anywhere other than the US or Canada. I don't mean to sound cold but I can't see any man being worth losing all contact with my children. They may be grown, but if I couldn't ever see them, it would be like part of me died. So I had better just stay here in North America.
 ya472
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/10/2006 4:15:05 PM
Most marriages are NOT about love.

After watching all my friends and relatives, aquaintances and others, most people get married for almost any reason, other than love.

But, I have seen women who shouldn't stay in a bad relationship, and use Love as their excuse.

Maybe this explains my aversion to: "I love you."

Smjle
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/10/2006 4:21:38 PM
There are so many factors involved in choosing who you marry. For me a marriag would need to be based on more than just citizenship; however, just like my education and income, it would be okay if that was a contributing factor.
 YamIhere
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2006 6:25:34 PM
Money and citizenship are the only good reasons to get married.
 LovingAngel
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/14/2006 5:27:47 PM
I am a woman and I got a few of them.
 tempest766
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/14/2006 7:22:26 PM
I'd report anyone I knew who enlisted in this illegal and unethical activity. If the INS didn't do something about it I would use whatever means I have available to "convince" the illegal that it would be to their benefit to go home.

Once upon a time eastern Europe had machine gun nests garding their borders. We should too.
 wurl
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/14/2006 8:43:40 PM
What's the big deal. Some ppl marry for money, some for affection and others for sexual attraction. Why not add immigration. It's ALL a question of utility.
 L1na
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/14/2006 8:55:13 PM
my friend married this guy last year that she has known for quite some time..n e way he needed papers to stay in canada so she got married to him..though to her suprised he just basically burned her last week by telling her he doesnt need her anymore..which is kind of dry considering she did waste a good year of her life on somethin that wasnt even for love...but ya...we'll see how that works out in the end...

and honestly speaking, nowadays people dont get married for love anymore..it's either money,security, citizenship as you have posted, and other stupid reasons...which is why the divorce rate in canada is increasing
 _SarahV_
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/14/2006 8:59:46 PM
marriage is stupid and to do it to help someone else sponge off off another country is stupider.
 e-wok
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/14/2006 9:50:16 PM
I've been offered $15k by an associate to sponsor an Indian
for a sham marriage. Of course I had to turn it down...$15k?? The going
rate is $40k - what am I??...a baggage handler!? LOL I'd have been on the
hook financially for 3 years before that burden was lifted under the
sponsorship agreement.

I married a Mexican national instead. We've been together for 3 years now and
she's an awesome girl and extremely funny.

Be very cautious but I can tell you that not all foreigners are
poor. Mine comes from a wealthy family....I now have a
townhouse in Cancun, an apartment in Mexico City while we
spend most of our time in Vancouver. SHE wants me to move
to Mexico and isn't crazy about the cold here.

...personally, she has very little to gain materially from me compared
to what I've gained from her financially. She bought me a new car, put
in a large deposit on an apartment we are buying...it's been nothing
but positives.

It's been real......and no, I'm not a gold digger...I had no idea of her worth
for the longest time.
 haywiresue
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 10:09:01 PM
Yes women get them as well - I have been contacted on another site at least 10 times by men looking for women that will buy their "oh I love you and have to come to Canada to visit you - I cant live without you" line after a short amount of contact. When I directly ask if they are trying to re-locate to Canada their answer has always been yes and they follow that with "and if you help me get there I will love you forever". What a load of sheep s**t. So, yes its out there.

I have a real concern about someone trying to get into the country Canada or the U.S. who doesnt qualify by regular rules - I question the character of the person are they a criminal, uneducated, unhealthy or have nothing to offer the country they wish to live in. I am not against immigration as Canada and the U.S. became the countries they are due to immigration. However, we have enough social problems with people who have immigrated here and gained citizenship along with those born here. Why would a man or woman use the guise of marriage to allow someone entry into our country who couldnt get in on their own accord?
 slapdash
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/14/2006 11:22:32 PM
I was researching prison pen pal women, and I got distracted by ads for mail order brides. I think the women who are looking to emigrate have become more sophisticated and greedy in the past few years, probably due to the Internet. It seems to me there are quite a few women whose relationship goals are inseparable from their financial planning goals. Men exist as sources of wealth, with sex being the cost of doing business. For sure there are men the same way. Lucky for these more mercenary women there will always be a surplus of unwanted men like me, whose innate need for human contact will force delusion to supplant normal life. I could probably be hornswoggled easily enough into that blind stumble down the aisle, come what may. For how else would I ever find myself, even for one night, ever again embraced in clean sheets and long legs? It's a powerful motivator. Nature has seen to it.
 johnglc
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/14/2006 11:24:23 PM
I think its stupid...........PERIOD.
 tebaziletims
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/16/2006 3:41:04 AM
In the early 70s, my Mom married some guy so he could get his green card. He gave her $500. They were only married for a couple of months.
 Camera shy
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:36:48 AM
Two things I refuse to give up for permanent incarceration would be my son being first and citizenship second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 newguyinventura
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:57:44 AM

Two things I refuse to give up for permanent incarceration would be my son being first and citizenship second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes because we all know the penalty for a fraud marriage is life in prison.....

If some woman wanted to pay me a nice sum of money to marry her.....why not?

/Disclaimer
This next statement is a generalization, please don't send me emails about how you're different and not EVERY woman is like that, I know, I'm generalizing.
/Disclaimer over

It's better than the standard american marriage where you usually get a woman who has no idea how to cook, clean, balance a checkbook and thinks credit cards are free money!
 NancyC123
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2008 4:56:34 AM
This is an old thread, obviously, but I've got questions! Is it right to get involved with a person who's already in this situation of being married to someone to help them get their citizenship? He's married but only because the woman he married wanted citizenship. Now, I'm sort of getting involved with him, but he's STILL MARRIED. Is this wrong even though we have feelings for each other and he doesn't love this woman and she doesn't love him and they don't even live together? Would love to read responses to this.
 lorelei540
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/22/2008 5:21:08 AM

This is an old thread, obviously, but I've got questions! Is it right to get involved with a person who's already in this situation of being married to someone to help them get their citizenship? He's married but only because the woman he married wanted citizenship. Now, I'm sort of getting involved with him, but he's STILL MARRIED. Is this wrong even though we have feelings for each other and he doesn't love this woman and she doesn't love him and they don't even live together? Would love to read responses to this.

How separated are they? Talk to your friend's wife, and see if she minds her husband having a girlfriend. Ask your friend if he and his wife already have a separation agreement addressing their assets, any spousal maintenance, etc. Are there kids involved as well? Will he be living two separate lives, one with his legal family and a separate one with you? Are you really ok with the reasons your friend gives you for remaining tethered to his present wife/life? Even at its best, understand that a married man can't get married to you.

I am separated but not divorced from a non-US-citizen. We live in different states and live separate lives (although we still jointly own a house we can't seem to sell in this economy) and we have already worked out all the agreements necessary for divorce. If ever either one of us feels the benefits of divorcing would outweigh the costs, we'll go ahead and file the papers we already have. I would love it if he found someone who made him happy. I think my situation is unusual though.
 Aurora772
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/22/2008 5:33:34 AM
I'd never do it, myself. I haven't received any such letters on here, but I have gotten them on other sites. I always laugh at them.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Marriage for Citizenship not Love