Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wordfish
Msg: 1
What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Just wondering...
 Crane Man
Msg: 2
What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?
Posted: 11/14/2006 12:48:16 PM
Bring him a beer and chips on Sunday afternoon and don't come back until Monday!
 athletic2222
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/14/2006 12:49:58 PM
Any girlfriend I've had I wanted to be with her all the time. I didn't need space nor did they. I always suspect there is something wrong in paradise when someone says they need space. But maybe I'm just a joy to be with.
 I love hockey
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/14/2006 12:50:17 PM
Not call, not stop by... just let him breathe.
 michael45693
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/14/2006 1:00:01 PM
Leave and don't come back or call.
 kewlpeeps
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/14/2006 1:03:44 PM
Encourage him to have a guys night out every now and then. As mentioned above leave the house during his favorite sport/sports team game with stocked fridge of beer and favorite snacks ... God I would love you for this!
 Avow
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/14/2006 1:10:49 PM
something wrong in paradise when someone says they need space.

good advise guys
 scoop81
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/14/2006 1:40:06 PM
Don't text/call just to check up on him - some people are happy being in permanent contact, but I personally don't like being called when I'm at work or out with friends. If you know where he is, but you call without having anything important to say (e.g. someone's died, not whether he'd prefer chips or mashed potato with his dinner) it can become frustrating if it happens a lot.

There's nothing wrong with the odd message (especially if it's a little naughty), it only seems to become an issue if it's consistent.

I have a bit of a care free attitude, and tend to stay over with friends after a night out. If I came home to 'did you have a good night', I'd (9 times out of 10) tell all. However, returning to 'Where were you last night?' tends to get my hackles up - probably because it's a more confrontational question, with the implication that I should have been at home, under her watchful eye.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 1:52:49 PM
I agree with michael45693.

If someone I am involved with asks for space - oh yeah they get it, I never leave them wondering about it. The next time they talk to me is when they come and find me.

And that's always a good thing anyway, there's always a bunch of things you should be doing that you're blowing off for this person, especially if they ask for space. It either means you are too clingy, or you are with the wrong person.

The best way? For me: I don't call, I don't stop by, I don't text, I don't e-mail. I become non-existent. What other way is there? If they locate me and ask what happened to me, I tell them they didn't specify how much they needed, so I gave them the works.

: )
 Yahh ROO Giddy Up
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/14/2006 1:56:00 PM
ever notice that the exact ammount of space they need is equel to your volumetric mass?

the space always equels, your height x your width x your depth = the space they need
 Jarbarian
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/14/2006 2:05:28 PM
The best way to give a man space is to go on and live your life, as if he is no longer a part of it. If he later decides that you are "it" then he will contact you. If not, then you will be well on your way to healing.

Don't contact him. No calling/drunk dialing/texting/emails/im - nothing.

If you attempt to contact him while he is looking for his space you will end up pushing him away for good.

PS: Asking for space is usually a sign they don't want to be with you. Hard to accept but is pretty much a fact.
 BLACKACES
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/14/2006 2:36:07 PM
take all the credit cards and tell him your going to new york city to shop!

he'll probably suddenly not need any space.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/14/2006 2:47:35 PM
I think a person can need space even if they really like you... nobody wants to be inhaled or smothered...

Go have fun, that is the best way to give someone space, plus, you'll then have something new to converse about when you see each other again.
 ubkobalt
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/14/2006 3:23:42 PM
Show up dressed as an astronaut.
 mrobbnc2000
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 3:37:10 PM
tell him your gonna ask his brother out for a date, if thats OK with him.....hehe
 Brizo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 3:59:00 PM
this phrase usually irritates me, since I'm usually happily lost in my own space and thoughts....since I know I'm not smothering, I usually give them enough space to hear the wind whistle around their ears....
 Blit|
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/14/2006 4:05:15 PM
Sometimes you just need a day or two to yourself. Even having an afternoon to yourself where you can be a lazy slob is enough. The only way to know is to ask him.
 ][KAOS][
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/14/2006 4:21:14 PM
Move out. Change your number. Don't look back.
 Panda1969
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/14/2006 6:06:34 PM

Any girlfriend I've had I wanted to be with her all the time. I didn't need space nor did they. I always suspect there is something wrong in paradise when someone says they need space.

And that's always a good thing anyway, there's always a bunch of things you should be doing that you're blowing off for this person, especially if they ask for space.

Er...right

Or; Ask the chap to be more specific (if necessary), as different people need different kinds of space - sometimes the same individual will need different kinds of space. If someone is engaged in an activity that requires intense concentration, then they might be 'busy' for days, weeks, months, or even years. Except that doesn't necessarily mean they don't want you around...

I've known people I can have around when I'm doing stuff, and it's not a problem because they are sensitive to the situation, and don't distract. Others aren't so smart, and don't realise (or care) that they are getting in the way, which is when it becomes a problem.

On the other hand if the bloke doesn't appear to be doing anything (for example, he doesn't want you with him when he's relaxing), then it's probably emotional space he needs. You could try to be less intense/demanding (not that I'm suggesting you are). If that doesn't work, or isn't applicable, then all you can really do is leave him alone for a bit. A good way to do that is to find an interesting and time-consuming activity, as at least you get to enjoy yourself while you give him his space :)
 bdotcom
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/14/2006 6:18:05 PM

I agree with michael45693.

If someone I am involved with asks for space - oh yeah they get it, I never leave them wondering about it. The next time they talk to me is when they come and find me.

And that's always a good thing anyway, there's always a bunch of things you should be doing that you're blowing off for this person, especially if they ask for space. It either means you are too clingy, or you are with the wrong person.

The best way? For me: I don't call, I don't stop by, I don't text, I don't e-mail. I become non-existent. What other way is there? If they locate me and ask what happened to me, I tell them they didn't specify how much they needed, so I gave them the works.

Ohhhh, I'm liking your thinking!!!!!!
 kewlpeeps
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/14/2006 6:30:39 PM
Now I'm confused by the OP. Do you mean that he is implying he's unsure about your relationship or do you mean he loves you but wants sometime alone every now and then? It thought you meant the second one ... I'm getting the vibe from other posts that you mean the first one.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 6:59:53 PM

Or; Ask the chap to be more specific (if necessary), as different people need different kinds of space - sometimes the same individual will need different kinds of space. If someone is engaged in an activity that requires intense concentration, then they might be 'busy' for days, weeks, months, or even years. Except that doesn't necessarily mean they don't want you around...

I've known people I can have around when I'm doing stuff, and it's not a problem because they are sensitive to the situation, and don't distract. Others aren't so smart, and don't realise (or care) that they are getting in the way, which is when it becomes a problem.

On the other hand if the bloke doesn't appear to be doing anything (for example, he doesn't want you with him when he's relaxing), then it's probably emotional space he needs. You could try to be less intense/demanding (not that I'm suggesting you are). If that doesn't work, or isn't applicable, then all you can really do is leave him alone for a bit. A good way to do that is to find an interesting and time-consuming activity, as at least you get to enjoy yourself while you give him his space :)

Yeah, um see this is all overanalyzing, guessing and in way too much detail. I hear "space" as a vague with no other explanation I give "space". If someone wants to be specific about the type of space it is, fine. But if not, and you leave them alone indefinitely, they will clarify what they meant soon enough.
 theengineerguy
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/14/2006 7:01:36 PM
Build him a garage, or give him the basement....
 Asknot
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/14/2006 7:30:43 PM
there is no 'best' way....there is just only one way...give the man his space..
Asknot
 insert user name
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/14/2006 7:46:11 PM
Space doesn't neccesarily mean he doesn't want to see you, it just means that he wants to do "his thing". Go out with the guys and throw a few back, watch the game, whatever.

For me, space=favorite leisure activities. It doesn't exclude her from participating, but if she is forcing it then it really drags down the enjoyment for the guy and makes him feel mildly guilty.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is the best way to give a man 'his space'?