Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sonon
Msg: 1
Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?

This one should be for people who've never been married/children..

Please be sincere, don't use this thread to promote yourself as a super-lover....
 snowfreeze
Msg: 2
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:09:08 PM
Yes. It was never required for me to do so though. She knew that I would have died for her, but she didn't care.
 Yahh ROO Giddy Up
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:11:09 PM
Yes

I am in the EXACT same boat as snowfreeze
 JulietJuliet
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:13:51 PM

This statement will be ignored anyway, cause your not allowed to discriminate! Tutt! Tutt!

In answer to your thread....Children aside, yes I have. The irony of it all is that in the end HE tried to take my life litterally. One thing he didn't get was my soul, I got to keep that.
 *xine*
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:14:25 PM
i would give up my life in a flash for my dad, so apart from family i dont think ive ever been truely in love enough to give such a sacrifice
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:16:11 PM
Never a doubt, I would give my life gladly for my children, even if you did say for someone who has never been married LOL
 Sonon
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:19:36 PM
No Control!!!
 lud49431
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:25:04 PM
nope. i mean, i love everyone in my immediate family and i would die for any of them, but as far as in a relationship, no. not that i will never feel that way, just that i haven't yet. i guess no one in this town is worth dying for. actually some of them are better off dead.....

that was mean.
 nomenome
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:31:37 PM
yes. once. but i couldn't save him. (and yes, there are children that i would do it for, and i would like to think i would risk it for a stranger in need as well) - thanks OP. that was rather sobering and depressing.
 krankiss
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2006 10:45:14 PM
Yes, family members. Blood is more than love... it's part of you. I'm not married or have been close enough to die for any other one person.

Anything else would really depend on the situation, such as my death would in turn save several other people. Like that soldier who recently won the medal of honour. He jumped on a grenade to save his friends during battle. That is the epidome of love+logic.
 SilverIon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2006 11:40:14 PM
My girls, I have two and would gladly give up my life for them. My siblings and one parent, the other parent, I don't think so. My current s/o, yes. But never in nearly 16 years of marriage would I have given my life for the ex.
 .liv2222.
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/16/2006 11:59:38 PM

I am in the EXACT same boat as snowfreeze

Make space for me on that boat; the same applies to me. Yeah, I won't be doing that again. I will never again compromise myself and my health for the love of a romantic partner. Screw that; I'd rather be single than torture myself again. Besides, the right partner wouldn't ask that of me.

I realized that far too late. Nahh, I wouldn't have listened anyway; I loved him far too much.

Do I love someone enough to give my life for them? Absolutely -- my son. Before I had my son, I would have included my mother, father, siblings, etc. in there, but I'm now a mother. My son needs me.
 blurose
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 12:03:53 AM
Bravery is an all to often word used without thinking about what it means. Bravery is an unconscious act done at great risk to ones self. I have saved the lives of 2 people I didn't know but still loved them. Usually when you are called upon to save a life it is a spontaneous instinctive reaction that comes from an inner strength. After an act of bravery you are as if you weren't the one really doing it. It is a huge adrenaline rush and it leaves you shaken. I don't even know if love has anything to do with it.

I would have given my life for my husband no doubt about it. I have 2 children and 1 grandchild. I can only hope that i would make the right decision at the time.

It is easy to talk the talk
Tougher to walk the walk!

Love You, B.
 hapeenurse
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/17/2006 12:16:49 AM
well aside from my mother , who I would give my life for - although being a mother I can promise that she wouldn't let me do that , yes I have.

It was when I was in my first long term relationship , I ended up being with him for 6 years and we definitely both understood that we would have put our lives on the line for eachother.
It was a great and comforting (yet somewhat scary!) feeling.
 Sonon
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/17/2006 1:22:48 AM
Was asking this cause I loved during suicidal years..was kind of ready to die for anyone!!

Deeply simplified from this thread,
Looks like men would die for women
Women would die for children..
And we would sacrifice ourself for the family.

Good surviving instinct!

Didn't want to mix in children.. but anyway..
 METALLlC BLUE
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/17/2006 3:31:36 AM

Yes.

Never married, and no children.

Please be sincere, don't use this thread to promote yourself as a super-lover....

Ok
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/17/2006 3:51:01 AM
I read through the responses and was frankly shocked.

Would I die for someone that was just a romantic partner? I really don't think so.

Would I die to save a man I truly loved? Without giving it the first thought!!! He wouldn't have to be a husband. When a man and a woman truly love each other, they are a part of each other in a way that goes way beyond simple blood relationships. Have I ever felt that way about a man? Yes, and I wasn't married to him. I haven't seen him in almost three years, and I still feel the same way about him.

The same would be true for my children(This also would include their spouses. Kids did better than me in this area, and I feel as close to them as my own kids), and now grandchildren. My children have been the ones that have given me a reason to live for a lot of years. If I had not had them, I don't think I would still be here. As to the people they have married, I love them as much as my children, because they are a part of my children. If I am ever lucky enough to find someone I truly love and get married again, the same would be true for his children. I would love them enough to die for them because they would be part of him. Again, he really wouldn't have to be a husband for me to feel that way.

As to anyone else on the face of the earth, would I knowling and willing give my life to save them, most likely not.
 Smjle
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/17/2006 3:51:38 AM
Of course I would not. That is not to say I would not fight to protect her or risk my life for her; however, if it was certain that it was her life or mine and I was not under strong social pressure then I would always choose mine. And, in the final analysis, with the exception of their children or strong social pressures (such as, "What would people think?" The Titanic comes to mind.), so would most everyone else regardless of their self-serving statements to the contrary.
 kap10cavy1963
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/17/2006 4:36:17 AM
Yes I would, not only for family members. Ask any verteran this question.
 nipoleon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 4:47:23 AM
I disagree that bravery is an automatic response done unconsciously and instantly in the face of great danger. These acts are certainly brave and shouldn't be discounted.
In my opinion real bravery is an act done fully consciously, where the person knows they will probably suffer or die in order to spare another.
 RALMFAO
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/17/2006 4:51:41 AM
yes i did, he knew i would give my life 4 him and he took advantage of it and just took till i had nothing left 2 give, then i saw the light & left him !
 pinkvarnish
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 5:06:33 AM
yes. once. but i couldn't save him. (and yes, there are children that i would do it for, and i would like to think i would risk it for a stranger in need as well) - thanks OP. that was rather sobering and depressing.

it was on the news some years ago, a boy was drowning in a storm because he was trying to kill himself, a man saved him but this man who saved him died, leaving his wife and children behind, things that make me cry.

i ve also known one man who went to jail for a crime his girlfriend did, after he came out, the girl dosent want to know him, still he writes her love letters!

would i die for the one i love? it depends what you mean by die-for? you mentioned suicidal, thats not dying for someone, its just you killing yourself because you cant have someone. or if youre talking about the man say things like 'hey jump off that bridge for me, go jump!', then, no!

but, if you had asked me this question 10 years ago, the answer would be an emphatical YES! but since then, i havent met anyone who makes me feel this way.

the man whom i would die for, let alone dying, if he lose a leg i would not hestitate giving him mine (ok, my leg wont look good on him, but you know what i mean.), he was a very wonderful person, kind and romantic, also strong and handsome, he didnt make alot and didnt own anything, but i was very happy with him, he would talk to me, make things for me, wrote me poetry, .....

for a man like this, giving my life to save his would be my honour! we all die one way or another, although i would like to live, to love and to give, i would die for love!
 teri s
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/17/2006 5:22:28 AM
no, but i wish i lived near snowfreeze, he's adorable.
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/17/2006 5:52:48 AM

it was on the news some years ago, a boy was drowning in a storm because he was trying to kill himself, a man saved him but this man who saved him died, leaving his wife and children behind, things that make me cry.

I have heared of stories like that, and frankly they don't make me want to cry, they just really freak me out. A man with a wife and children, should not even remotely think of doing something like that. You would think that he would have thought about the love he had for his family and the fact that his family needed him alive and would not have put his life in danger for a stranger. Yes, your family is meant to be way more important than a suicidal stranger.
 rune3
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/17/2006 6:03:16 AM
There are surely much harder things to face than your own death.
Perhaps the hardest thing I can imagine is what John Bayley faced when his wife Iris Murdoch (academic and philosophical author) got Alzheimer's. Could you sacrifice the rest of your life, taking care of the one you love, when they don't know who you are, don't know who they are, can't communicate rationally, have lost their mind and are reduced to behaving like a young child or an animal, with deterioration the only prospect...?

How much more of a real question is that than, "right, it's you or them, step forward"?
How much more lonely would that be, how terrible, how painful, how endless?
Could I face that? I don't know. I doubt I am that strong. I only hope I'm never tested.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Did you ever love someone enough to give your life for her/him?