Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > what made you find / lose your faith in "A god"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 canibaljoe
Msg: 1
what made you find / lose your faith in "A god"Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
now i 've opened up this forum to ask the very complicated question of FAITH.

for those who have it... why do you have it? what happened in your life to bring you this faith?

for those who HAD it, and have lost it... what happened to make you lose it?

for those who just believe because they've been told so... why do you blindly believe in a god, (or gods) based on what you've been told to believe?

now, this is NOT a topic for the belief in religion, and / or, pushing of any agenda. this is just to find out why people have faith, or do not have it.

now, i my self am an athiest. i was brought up with NO faith to follow. but on my own at a very young age looked into religion, going to a christian church for a couple years, talking to people of all different faiths, and reading books on religion to see what was out there to help me understand.
now, i my self have not been able to find reason to believe in any faith. i need proof, i need something tangible to believe in. but have found nothing that would do this for me. put aside all the myths and facts, half truths and full out lies... i can find nothing to believe in when it comes to religion.

so i ask this question to find more perspective on this topic. many people i have met who have "FAITH" are very happy people... even through hardships and sad times they still have faith and still come out of it happy. this has always amazed me. and so i leave it up to you... what's YOUR story?
 romegaguy
Msg: 2
what made you find / lose your faith in A god
Posted: 11/21/2006 10:24:57 PM
Back in 1993 at work they hired a new guy he was studing to be a preacher. This guy would in his spare time witness to people all over the plant....no kiddin. He really had me thinking about eternity and hell thats when i made my choice in my faith.
 romegaguy
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/21/2006 10:43:40 PM
Believe me when i say this if I never met this guy or he never started to work where i work i would be in your shoes. I strongly believed god somehow interveined it wasn't about working and getting paid but having the opportunity for this guy to work at the same place and same department to share what he had to share with me. Not only me while thinking about it there was this other guy also became a christian. i remember back in 1993 this soon to be preacher told me that he was going to share god's word with him at break time i even witness all this. So as time went along prb. around 2 years ago me and that guy got on a subject about going to church and all that. He told me he went to such and such church and so forth. But after thinking all this over now this guy which is a preacher now prb. what you call planting a seed in my life. I very well dought if i would be a christian if it wasn't for him and i think its safe to say for the other guy also.
 CountIbli
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/21/2006 10:45:31 PM
I was raised Roman Catholic and was a firm believer until about age 20. I really started reading the Bible a lot and decided that the Catholic Church wasn't staying true to Biblical teachings. I became a Fundamentalist. I stayed that way for about 3 years. During that time I frequently posted to a Usenet Creation/Evolution group arguing against evolution. One day someone sent me a list of hundreds of Biblical contradictions and said that no Christian had ever been able to explain them. I took it as a challange and promptly studied them. At first it was easy to explain away the contradictions. But as I went on and on I realized I was using bizzarre twists of logic to explain them. I realized that I had to choose between believing the Bible as the Literal Word of God or being intellectually honest with myself. I chose the latter. For a while I still considered myself a Christian but I couldn't be a literalist anymore. With new eyes I went back and looked at the evidence for evolution and creation and realized that Creationism didn't have a leg to stand on and that I hadn't really understood what evolution was about. With more research I'd discovered that that Bible wasn't just inconsistent with itself, biology, and geology, but also with history and even common sense morality. I decided I simply couldn't believe in the god of the Bible anymore. I still wasn't an Atheist though. certainly there HAD to be a god or maybe gods. But as I thought about it more and more I realized that I needed to invoke god less and less to make sense out of the universe. I eventually decided that god was superfluous and ill-defined. Without any evidence or logical neccessity for god I became an Atheist. It's been about 10 years now and I've never regretted my decision and i've been much happier as well.
 canibaljoe
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/22/2006 12:29:10 PM
romegaguy, could you be a little bit more detailed? what was it that this man did... or said, that gave you your faith? i just find your replies a little too vague. but thank you for the responce. no matter what, it's nice to hear.

wow, CountIbli... not a lot of roman catholics that would say or do what you have done. even if they've lost faith, the ones i know still follow their religion. why... i have NO idea. maybe it's a comunity thing, maybe it's a need to just follow something. who knows.

i would definately love to hear from some people of other religions. i've never had the chance to talk to anyone other than former christians about their loss of faith. it would be interesting to hear.
 JMars
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/22/2006 3:00:41 PM
I lost faith in Christianity because it seemed to preach belief over deeds, and seemed to utilize fear as its chief means of motivation and control, ie. stroke my ego or, good person or not, you shall burn in eternal torment.

I have faith in my ancestors and the deities of my ancestors -- my Germanic ancestors as opposed to my Slavic or Native Indian ancestors -- because, while a nasty place in the afterlife is still a viable possibility, they place deeds before faith and don't need their egos stroked. A good man will enjoy a good afterlife, a bad man shall not, no matter the name they glorify in worship, or if they worship or not.

There is alot beyond that that reinforces my faith, and some of that has brought me full circle to take another look a Christianity and decide what it might mean by my own judgement. I am fine with Christ as I understand him, but I am the last person you will ever hear tooting the Christian horn or glorifiying the cultural forms of a foreign culture. I'm of the opinion that people can have Christ without adopting any of the cultural trappings of Christianity or even being aware of Christianity's existence. Of course, I don't call it Christ. I call it *faith*.

To get caught up on what you call "it" is, IMO, idolatry... placing the cultural form before the quintessential essence.
 montanadharma
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/22/2006 3:18:15 PM
I was raised Mormon but am ethnically Jewish. When I got into my late teens I was pretty certain there was no god. After my first experience with psychotropics I "knew" there was some sort of guiding intelligence. It's been that simple ever since.
 sweetandreal
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/22/2006 4:20:20 PM
I truly believe in God, and have a strong faith - although it has been tested and at times dwindled to the size of a mustard seed, but it was still there. In my life I have experienced a lot of things that were difficult, and it was through the Grace of God and my faith that I came out the other side a stronger person. I have seen God's blessings in my life, every single day - and I think faith is the most wonderous gift a person can have.
 UrbanX
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/22/2006 4:59:47 PM
I worked hard at being a Baptist in my teen years after being introduced to the church by a girlfriend. I studied the Bible. I thought hard about it. I debated with various people. I didn't get baptised as I didn't feel as if I truly believed yet.

One day the youth group leader praised me deeply and sincerely. He told me that "I was growing in Christ and an inspiration."

I realized then that it wasn't true at all. I didn't believe, but was professing the trappings of belief. I was striving to gain greater understanding to achieve faith, when that isn't the path to faith at all.

I left the church and never looked back. I self-identify as an agnostic with atheist tendencies; in the absence of any observable proof for a god's existence, why would I act as if there was one?

Am I happy? Very. Do I make others happy? Yes, there's a lot of evidence that I do. Do I live a positive life and contribute to society? Yes. Do I manage to stay positive and upbeat in the absence of a deity or an externally imposed meaning to my life? Yes. Do I manage to overcome difficulties in life without faith? Yes.

Cheers,
Mike (of course, there was the time a girlfriend called me the Antichrist, but that's another story )
 CountIbli
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/22/2006 10:13:49 PM

i would definately love to hear from some people of other religions. i've never had the chance to talk to anyone other than former christians about their loss of faith. it would be interesting to hear.

I don't know their website address, but I know there's a fairly vocal group of former Muslims. As I recall they're very active in trying to bring equal rights to women in Islamic countries.
 seenthelight
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/23/2006 1:07:32 AM
when you get possesed by a demon, you see demons, you cant read a sentence from the bible cause it looked like jiberish, when you see your own reflection and it has no face on it and the arms would not sit still and and never reflected were you had them, you jump off the couch and cower in fear of the bible, you cower in fear from the name Jesus Christ and God, have demons casted out of you can your house, you see in a reflection a man standing behind you with a hand on your hand and you say in a voice you cant replicate that the bible is evil and demand to have it removed from your presence, yeah deamons are real and so is God.

once the demons were casted out the next day you cast out demons from the freind who did it to me, watch him puke on the floor and it doesnt look like human puke (i do custodial work and his dad is a doctor so we have seen our fair share of that stuff to know) and watch him collapse to the floor, later i said i am a child of God and he works through me and my hand is an extension of his and put it on is head and watch him cower in fear and scream and look like he was about to have a heart attack, yeah you get the picture God is real, Jesus is real, deamons are real, hell is real, heaven is real, the bible is real and true.

but you also have to see were im comming from when i used to tear up bibles, burn them, deface them, destroy any immage of Jesus, decapitated a baby jesus from a manger scene, rolled bible pages up with tobacco and smoked it, walk through the christian books stores and invert all the crosses, organized bible burnings, belived deicide was a religion and look at glenn benton as if he was god, and many other things that were horribal.

oh yeah not to mention i was a smoker, could smoke up to 3 packs a day and felt the need to stop and i did with NO help from the patch or any other stuff doctors would give. it was done by God.

yeah thats a condensed version of what happened, tons more i could tell but i dont have the time, you can get the picture from this.
 skypoetone
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/23/2006 3:16:20 AM
I’ll be brief - I was bought up in a family that was split by religion, not that one day it wouldn't have disintegrated anyway. But the point is I was very young. I studied Mormons, JW's, Methodist. Whatever image I had of God, as a child, was destroyed by the JW's. Whatever faith I had (and I always stated that my belief in God was unbreakable) was damaged, yet not beyond repair. I believe God is within all of us, that we are all a part of the same thing. I do NOT believe you will find IT/HIM/HER in the bible.
 canibaljoe
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/23/2006 5:21:10 AM

I was raised Mormon but am ethnically Jewish. When I got into my late teens I was pretty certain there was no god. After my first experience with psychotropics I "knew" there was some sort of guiding intelligence. It's been that simple ever since.

wow... psychotropics.
do you ever wonder if you feel this way just because of the drugs? they ARE mind altering substance. and you say "first experience" ... i take it you took psychotropics several times after?
now, i can't help but wonder after you speak of an experience like that if your faith is real. OR, is it just a missfire in your brain because of the drugs.

seenthelight: i can't help but have my mouth be open in a slackjawed way here. i honestly don't know WHAT to say. deamons, possesions... it's a little tough for me to believe.
now, that's not to say that i DON'T believe you, just that it's tough to swallow.

shypoetone: i'm sorry to say that i'm not sure what you mean by the "JW's" could you explain what they are? i can't think of what it would stand for right now.
 canibaljoe
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/23/2006 5:30:41 AM
thanks countibli, i'll try looking into that. i must admit, i'm not too big a fan of the muslim religion because of their views on woman. but, i won't condemn them because of beliefs that every other nation had even 100 years ago.

well UrbanX, i've been called the antichrist, satan, a messenger of the devil... many things.
and all because for the longest time i had a great hatred of religion in general... and one hell of a hardon for the downfall of christianity, a religion that i saw as one of the biggest threats to overall peace and happiness in this world.
i've said many things, done many things, and witnessed many things that i'm not proud of. not ashamed of mind you... but not proud of, when it came to fighting the ideas of religion.
i talked many people out of their faiths, even ruined some peoples belongings like christmas nativities, signs with quotes on them... rearanged the quotes and messages left up at churches signposts to read VERY rude things.
but, i realized that my anger wasn't realy towards the religions them selves... it was at the people who would corrupt these ideals. who would use and abuse people that were just looking for happiness, and understanding.
 skypoetone
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/23/2006 7:12:07 AM
Ha! 'Shypoetone' (maybe once). No problem... JW's are Jehovah's Witnesses, they are intense and well meaning enough, but I’m sorry to say they have got it wrong.
 UrbanX
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/23/2006 7:29:11 AM

well UrbanX, i've been called the antichrist

In my case it was a pure Freudian slip on the part of my fundamentalist Christian girlfriend upon introducing me to her also-fundamentalist friend. She meant to say agnostic, but as I represented a serious source conflict related to sexual sin in her life, antichrist popped out instead.

I helped her work through some serious hangups she had to allow her to reconcile her faith with the pleasures of the body and helped her realize that she needed another person of roughly equivalent Christian faith if she wanted to have a happy and unconflicted sex life.

After she became engaged, she took me out for coffee to thank me, saying that she wouldn't have been able to have the serious relationship she was in without me. I've had that reaction from a handful of women that I dated or had affairs with over the years. I keep getting invites to weddings and wedding photos. {grin}

Cheers,
Mike (she also asked some friends if they knew I was sex god one evening )
 JMars
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/23/2006 2:30:55 PM

i'm not too big a fan of the muslim religion because of their views on woman. but, i won't condemn them because of beliefs that every other nation had even 100 years ago.

Well, alot of diifferent religions placed women on a different footing than the Abrahamic religions.

Both the Celtic and Gemanic religions/cultures for instance, in which women held great influence and power, both formal and otherwise. Some would say that modern women's lib., a phenom. spearheaded by Celto-Germanic women, was prompted by the innate cultural disposition of Celto-Germanic females; who simply never took to a the belief that they are "Adam's rib".
 Steven02151
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/24/2006 3:18:02 PM
Just about every faithful, religious person I have known has been a nutjob, none of it made any sense, the more people talked about how religious they were the worse kind of person they were, just about any contact Ive had with "religion" has been bad.

My daughter ask me once, at 12 or 13, "daddy, why do people have to be reborn and all that? why do they have to believe in God? why cant they just be as good a person as they can and leave the world a better place just because its the right thing to do?"

I have the same question.
 Pearly Sweet Cake
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/24/2006 5:23:56 PM
^^^Steven^^^

Alot of grown ups should listen to her.
 Heath Bar
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/24/2006 5:45:19 PM
what made me lose faith in god?

I read the bible
 K3VLAR
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/24/2006 5:49:40 PM
when I was a little kid, I loved dinosaurs.
I asked the lady at sunday school how the dinosaur fossils happened?
where did the big bones come from?
I remember her stumbling for an answer and coming up with something like, "before sin, animals used to grow to imense dimensions", or some spit like that
I kept going to sunday school, cuz what else would an 8 year old do when his parents pack him, his brother, and his sister into the wagon on sunday morning, (besides, the only good show on TV was Teddy Ruxpin).
As I got older, I began to see the corruption and lies whithin the church, and refused to go.
I dont think you need to pray to a "god" to be a good person. You do good things to be a good person! You hear stories about priests mollesting little boys, and "encounters" with transvestite hookers in motels, and I just dont wanna be assosciated in ANY way with that kinda stuff.
Plus there's always the scientificly proven theory of evolution that has this one little item the bible is without......."PHYSICAL EVIDENCE"
there's is evidence of how homosapians have evolved over the THOUSANDS of years they've existed on this planet.
Other species' have ruled the earth, and I think it's only a matter of time before homosapians begin heading the way of the dinosaur. But I don't think it'll be an "Ice Age" that kills us. We're already doing a pretty good job of securing our spot next to the Do Do and
Tyranosaurus

"why do people have to be reborn and all that? why do they have to believe in God? why cant they just be as good a person as they can and leave the world a better place just because its the right thing to do?"

^I love that quote^
your daughter is awesome
 manofoar
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/24/2006 5:58:24 PM
Why did I lose my faith in organized religion? Because as time has progressed, all religions have taken a God that believes in everyone to a God that only believes in them. Organized religion is the most selfish institution we have on the planet today.

Religionists don't help people because those people have problems. They do it to make sure they themselves get to heavan. Because God really only wants you to follow the rules, not actually care.

The most cristian people I have met have been athiests. Go figure. I'll believe in God once he does something about his followers. Until then, I'll do what I feel is right, and try not to hurt others. If I fail, I will be honest about it and attempt to fix it.
 Anni
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2006 4:46:53 AM
I believe even more when my parent's " passed away " , I was with my mom when she passed , she was in a coma from an infection , but my dad had a massive heart attack at 6 ~ 30 am , I wasn't there for him { or to say goodbye to him } : I know that there both in good hand's now and in a much better place : I believe more so now , than I did before :
 designingwoman
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2006 11:58:05 PM
Science. The Big Bang Theory has helped me to find faith in God. How can there be nothing before the Big Bang? Something had to trigger it. I derive my faith from logic and science.
 SecondKick
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/26/2006 12:09:25 PM
manofoar wrote:
Why did I lose my faith in organized religion? Because as time has progressed, all religions have taken a God that believes in everyone to a God that only believes in them.

Religion is not something to believe in. True religion is something set up by God so that you may believe and follow Him. Has religion been corrupted? Yes and no, because they've been corrupt on and off since the beginning as you know from the Old Testament. The weakness of men only gives witness to the truth, power, patience and mercy of God. I suggest that you may lack the patience and mercy of God but that you do not lack any of the weaknesses of men.

Religionists don't help people because those people have problems. They do it to make sure they themselves get to heavan. Because God really only wants you to follow the rules, not actually care.

Yes, God, Who makes all the rules, wants you to follow His commandments. As to the interior disposition (whether they "care" or not) of anyone that follows God's commands, that is is known only to God.

The most cristian people I have met have been athiests. Go figure.

So you have judged these atheists to be sincere and caring people. Like yourself?

I'll believe in God once he does something about his followers.

Is this a prayer or a demand.

Until then, I'll do what I feel is right, and try not to hurt others. If I fail, I will be honest about it and attempt to fix it.

So you're going to follow your own "commands" as to what is right and judge yourself to be most humble in carrying them out. Congratulations, you have become divine.

Admit it, you're real issue is not the weaknesses and hypocrisy of other men but your own problem in dealing with God's commands--probably something along the lines of the sixth and ninth commandments I'll wager.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > what made you find / lose your faith in "A god"