Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > 4-year-old in Power Ranger garb foils robbery      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Monday In October
Msg: 1
view profile
History
4-year-old in Power Ranger garb foils robberyPage 1 of 1    
qf: http://www.9wsyr.com/news/national/story.aspx?content_id=C4DA7C5E-96C3-4BDE-9B9C-28561FC75792

By MATT DEES - Raleigh News & Observer

DURHAM, N.C. -- A robber was holding a gun to 5-year-old Mary Long's head when a 3-foot-tall Mighty Morphin Power Ranger leapt into the room.

"Get away from my family," 4-year-old Stevie Long shouted, punctuating his screams with swipes of his plastic sword and hearty "yah, yahs."

The robber and his accomplice, who was waiting outside the apartment Friday night, fled with credit cards, jewelry, cash and other items that Stevie's mother, Jennifer Long, dumped from her purse.

"I scared the bad guys away," Stevie said.

Two men had approached Jennifer Long's boyfriend and his son as they stood outside the apartments she helps manage, according to a police report. The strangers asked for pot, and then a cigarette, and as the son went to get one, both men pulled guns, police said.

One stayed with the boyfriend as the other forced the son back into the apartment, police said. Inside were Jennifer Long, a cousin, Stevie, Mary and two other children, police said.

They were forced on the floor. The robber pointed the gun at Mary and a 1-year-old girl named Sierra, said Stevie's uncle, Bernie Evans, 33, who lives above the Longs.

Enter Stevie.

"During the robbery, a ... boy snuck into his bedroom, dressed himself in a Power Ranger costume and armed himself with a plastic sword," police said. "The child then exited his room and approached the armed suspect, in an attempt to protect his family."

Relatives said the robber abandoned plans to take Stevie's mother to an ATM to withdraw cash when he saw Stevie.

"It tripped him out, and that's when they moved on," said Evans, who did not witness the incident. Jennifer Long declined to comment, saying her employers at the apartment complex would not allow it.

Stevie likes to think he cuts an intimidating figure in his red-and-black mask and foam suit that replicates the rippling muscles of the kiddie adventure show heroes. But Evans said the robber was more startled that Stevie was able to retreat to his bedroom and morph.

I love how Stevie found it necessary to put on the Power Rangers costume before charging to his family's defense..

Someone buy that kid a milk...!
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 2
view profile
History
4-year-old in Power Ranger garb foils robbery
Posted: 11/30/2006 9:20:53 PM

The strangers asked for pot,

Sounds like they were already paranoid enough. I wonder how that kid might have looked to somebody stoned and in the right frame of mind. And to think , how many grown men witness things like that and do nothing? Gotta love it.
 Paddy O Furniture
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2006 10:02:28 PM
All I can say about that is...."POWER UP"
 kess_37
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2006 11:15:45 PM
Stevie is my hero ! I love this story, it is utterly amazing.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2006 5:22:57 AM
Cute story.

It would have been a lot less "Disney" had the robber decided to pump a bullet into him, his mother, or his entire family. In a tense situation, with the wrong people, "powering up" might mean a tiny chalk outline on the living room floor.

Had he found a phone, and dialed 9/11, it might have turned out better.

Hard to fault the boy, and he is only four.

I say someone deserves a big hug, and whatever else his big four year old heart desires.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/1/2006 5:29:28 AM
MG,

Yup it is a great story, but the first thing that ran through my mind is that you have these men, both probably stoned. One is holding a gun to the mom's head. Suddenly, and in a very tense moment the door bursts open with screaming. Not hard to see the results of that action.

I do give the boy credit for bravery tho. Just glad it turned out as well as it did.
 gorditablanca
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/1/2006 1:01:26 PM
You have to love this child! The thing is I do not think he had a clear idea of what the consequences were, it is easy to be brave when you don't know better yet, so I am glad that this kid and his family were not killed.
 Infraction of Fate
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/1/2006 1:19:37 PM
How could anyone not love a kid like that? I think reading this just made my whole day, heck maybe even week! Naturally one can go on about consequences and what might have happened, and no one is happier than I am to hear that everyone turned out ok. But it DID turn out ok so I feel free to enjoy this story and send many huggs and kisses to this wonderful, thoughtful little boy!
 the_humormonger
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2006 8:27:19 PM
the kid's heart was in the right place. and, i think it's cute that he felt he had to costume up...i guess that means there aren't enough cartoons out there where ordinary kids do extraordinary things. may i suggest the backyardigans....

glad it all turned out ok.
 e-wok
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/1/2006 8:29:37 PM
That kid has reality issues. What's wrong with him??
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2006 12:01:37 AM
Nothing's wrong with him....he's just four years old.

( Thank's for the holiday smilies, POF ! )
 Brizo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2006 2:39:58 PM
Doesn't it remind you of the "magic cape" that little girl wore on crash? That scene made me cry.....

I'm glad this turned out okay, I could just hug that little guy.....
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > 4-year-old in Power Ranger garb foils robbery