Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 goofycutie21
Msg: 1
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girlPage 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
hey all you guys out there tell me why its hard to date a deaf girl???
 markawelch
Msg: 2
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl
Posted: 3/30/2005 7:30:53 PM
The initial problem would probably be communication. Does she lip-read? Does he sign? Is he or she willing to learn either?

So, is this about someone you know?
 jpl3447
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:16:53 PM
Being deaf myself and having met with a deaf woman recently I havn't found it hard to talk to her. Now, since we aren't dating I don't know how her deafness would come into play. Its nice to be able to have a conversation with someone you are seeing so if its really hard then it can be hard to have a worthwhile relationship.

Today at Home Depot I saw this deaf girl I had seen before at a Silent Dinner. She was there with her boyfriend, who had taken the pains to learn sign. This girl was totally deaf. But they made a good couple. If the boyfriend hadn't learned sign I doubt they would be together for long.

Since I am deaf I am not sure I can answer your question to your full satisfaction.
 markawelch
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:22:39 PM
This isn't the same, but it shows the stupidity of some people.

A friend of mine met a blind girl at college. They talked, hit it off, and made a first date.

Do you know where he took her?

To a theatre to watch silent movies!

I'm serious! When he told me the day after the date, I almost punched him for being a boob. I asked him why he did it and he said that he liked silent movies and thought she might like them too.

Stupidity!
 oneafternoon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:23:23 PM
I would love to date a deaf girl ... it would be kewl , be like dating a chick who speaks a foreign language. I think for me i like challenges so it would make it more interesting. I would love to learn sign language.

And on another note you can't really say anything wrong.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:38:20 PM
hmmm... girlfriend includes homework. It does cut out the lazy guys. That or really cut into your phone messaging budget. It probably evens out in concert ticket savings. And the movies are all dvds so thats cheaper too.... Nope. Not seeing it. Might be heavy on the foreign films though.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:40:50 PM
Wow. Blew a date with a nice blind girl because he took her to a silent movie. Thats..... Darwinian. Literally.

Jack Mack
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2005 4:25:11 AM
I guess it depends on the guy.

I had a friend who was deaf. Communication was ok, if both people w-o-r-k at it! Otherwise it will end as all other relationships that do not communicate.

Personally, no offense or anything, but dating a deaf person is not that big a deal. I mean, Its no different to me than dating someone who cannot smell, or maybe someone who has night blindness. If the person is important enough to you, anything can be overcome, worked through and dealt with.

If that makes me crass, then crass I be. I just think deaf people have just the same strengths and weaknesses as everyone else, with one "tiny" exception. They are deaf. Either a guy deals or not.

Just my thoughts.
 stormycs
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:05:56 AM
jpl - if you are both deaf, then you boht have alternative means of communication. THe probelm is that when a hearing guy starts dating (or wants to start dating) a deaf girl, how does he get her attention without the childish passing of notes? And passing notes back and forth on a date somehow spoils it
 markawelch
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:06:56 AM
Well, it's better than carrying semaphore flags.
 jpl3447
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:12:14 AM
exactly -- ... I have a thread somewhere "Would You Date A Deaf Guy?" or "Dating Deaf guys", I can't remember which but it was interesting. So in my case it was about how would a hearing girl cope with dating a deaf guy? See... most of the girls I want to date are hearing lol
 LiMoShark
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:13:32 AM
if you truly care for someone you will take the lengths to learn their language.. People who speak sign language from my experiences are very good at communicating to non sign language speaking people what they are saying.. Yes sometimes this includes a pad of paper and pen.. I see nothing wrong with that.. You see a chick you think is hot you go up to her offer her a drink, realize she is deaf and she starts writing down notes here and there to communicate with you. If you are still interested, and want more dates I am hoping you would maybe pick up a book on sign language, try and understand her world.

I am speaking from experience, I cared for and worked for a boy with cerebral palsy and in order for me to be able to hang out with him, and understand him I had to learn sign language.. In my opinion it is one of the most beatiful languages in the world.
 markawelch
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/31/2005 1:16:04 PM
Anybody here learned Braille?

Just curious. I was wondering if it was difficult for a sighted person to learn.
 Frrosty
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/31/2005 1:35:09 PM
I would date a deaf girl.

I was once turned DOWN by a very pretty deaf swim champion from Laurier..

hhmm

NOw you've gone and brought up bad memories. ARGH!
 goofycutie21
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/31/2005 4:11:29 PM
Wow- I'm amazed at the response. :) I was just wondering what was up with you fellas all chicky scared. I'm lucky because i have a Cochlear Implant- that enables me to speak almost like a hearing person- truth be told, my voice is still a little off. I lipread pretty well too so..
 markawelch
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/31/2005 4:13:03 PM
Most of us don't scare off that easily.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:05:44 PM
So I gotta take you to concerts AND learn sign language? awwwww.... ok.
 markawelch
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:12:01 PM
pig,

You've heard the term "labor of love".

Well, here there is some labor, but in the end you may get some love.
 techbuyer_03
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:16:12 PM
??? Good question, but if you are referring to the deaf girls on some dating sights....well. One reason is that they, or maybe she, won't return any of my email. I really liked her profile and she was so cute. But nada intrest in me.....go figure. I don't think it would be hard at all to date a deaf girl.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:20:58 PM
Well you know me, anything that includes reprocessed chicken feather protein meal is good. Of course theres also silage... And don't forget condemned donuts, and old apple cores... and....... [loud snuffling and drooling sounds]
 startmiup
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:24:29 PM
they're all "deaf" so what's the difference?
 startmiup
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:26:53 PM
Ultrapig, now that I've seen you, I just can't stop thinking about you. I compare all women to you and they just don't make me feel like you do. I think of you before I go to sleep at night. I don't know what to do.
 Kiefer
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:27:30 PM
I've got a cochlear implant too..... just wanted to tell everyone that in all my years I've actually never gone on a date with a deaf girl myself.. everyone I've gone out with has been hearing. But then again I've always been able to communicate with hearing people, even use the phone sometimes (where I couldn't before with just a hearing aid)...

As for sign language and passing notes - well, remember, not all deaf people are signers or "noters" - a lot of us are indistinguishable from the next person, save for a pretty jazzy accent which is a great icebreaker as I said in JPL's thread about dating deaf guys..

But then again - I've managed to pick up a couple of nice ladies using the old "notebook" trick, passing a note across a crowd of drunken banshees to the nice-looking woman at the end of the table - it's less threatening too. After all, it's a little different from "Hey baby, how YOU doin'?!"

My point? The differences are just about all positive. Pity about the bloke who took the blind girl to a movie... now that's just downright sad.

K
 Ultrapig
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:33:01 PM
I can see your hand edging towards that cleaver pal.. It's always the same

them: "Come out with me tonight"

me: "where are we going?"

them: "Oh, it'll be great! It's a barbacue"

Sigh... they all just want me for my body.
 startmiup
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:33:40 PM
duh qweston es, wood dey be wuling to dwate somwon wike me? Most women make fwun ob me for my spweech defwect. Dey say I am wike Elmer Fwud. It es weely not bery nice. It is not only my spweech defwect ether. Den dey tell me dere is also something warrg wif me upstairs too. Wat does dat mween?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl