Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sass393
Msg: 1
view profile
History
why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I've encountered this several times. pretty much any guy who sits in the passenger side of my car...I end up hitting his leg when I'm going to change gears. Please tell me why guys have to sit with their legs so far apart. I mean the boys don't need THAT much space!!
 athletic2222
Msg: 2
why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?
Posted: 12/2/2006 5:47:59 PM
Keep our sperm count high. If we could we'd walk in that position.
 mackz
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/2/2006 6:00:53 PM
Cuz the ref is keepin the boyz apart down below........they need room!!!
 profesor
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/2/2006 6:05:09 PM
I remember hearing about a study once. Something to do with the fact that if something is dropped onto yor lap there is a different reaction from men to women. Where men are inclined to spread their legs and let it drop through while women have a tendancy to close their legs and catch it. Just in the genes I guess. Could be something to with the fact that guys are more territorial to. And gotta make know this is my space.
 KiteGuy321
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2006 6:13:52 PM
the boys need room to breath. I would certainly be open to a woman sitting with her legs apart.. especially if she's wearing a skirt and no panties.
 el_jefe_tx
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/2/2006 6:53:09 PM

I remember hearing about a study once. Something to do with the fact that if something is dropped onto yor lap there is a different reaction from men to women. Where men are inclined to spread their legs and let it drop through while women have a tendancy to close their legs and catch it. Just in the genes I guess. Could be something to with the fact that guys are more territorial to. And gotta make know this is my space.

You have it backwards. Men close their legs. Women open them. Back in the day when women wore long dresses if they open them it would act as a big net.
 sass393
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2006 6:55:07 PM
I understand the thought of "they need to breathe" but what I'm asking is seriously do they need THAT much space. I mean it gets annoying constantly hitting his leg while I'm trying to drive the car.
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:15:19 PM
Oh, come on. That's what were trying to say, it's a show, an invitation. Look at what I got..

It's a power play move, too. The more space we take up, the more power we feel. That's why PeeWee Herman sat there like a girl, with his legs tightly together, see how puny he looked when he did that??? It's all about body language and communication.
 Sasquatch2
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:20:51 PM
If we men had our way, only one thing would near our goolies,
and it would NOT be our jockeys.
 Pasquel
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:25:20 PM
If he is getting in your way while you are driving, tell him. I like to drive a stick, so I know what you mean. Had a buddy do that once I told him to close his legs so I would quit hitting it (his leg) or he could ride in the back. He started to challenge me and I pulled over

"Do I gotta pull over?!" became a big joke between us.
 best kept secret
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:26:19 PM
I remember hearing about a study once. Something to do with the fact that if something is dropped onto yor lap there is a different reaction from men to women. Where men are inclined to spread their legs and let it drop through while women have a tendancy to close their legs and catch it.

In the story of Tom Sawyer....Tom dressed as a girl to disguise himself. A woman who's home he was in, suspected he was really a boy and threw something to him, which he dropped.

She could tell he was a boy because he closed his legs to catch it...back then, girls only wore dresses and found no need to to close their legs to catch a dropped item...the dress would have caught it.

Back to the question, though...must be learned...and I think it is mostly a 'western society' thing.
Some men in some cultures find it rude and some cross their legs...hummm....doesn't bother me.... if he is kind, he will give ya some room!

(darn it el..you beat me too it!)
 newguyinventura
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:26:56 PM
cuz we have a penis and testicles.
 JWA
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:27:52 PM
Of all the valid things there are to complain about when it comes to men is this the ONLY one you can ask about?? WHY does anyone do anything? Mainly because they can!! LOL

If this is truly that annoying and disconcerting to you OR otherwise disorienting to you perhaps you should say something make them drive you everywhere? Problem solved!!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:31:02 PM
First off, I can't and don't want to imagine having the other set of "equipment". I think men should be comfortable, not too much to ask, really. Maybe it's a small car and he's a tall man.
 ubkobalt
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:35:27 PM
Keep our sperm count high. If we could we'd walk in that position.

This is quite possibly true.

I bet you drive with the heater on higher than he'd like it to be. Try turning it down just a notch. If he gets cold, he'll close his legs to retain heat.
 Nos800id
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2006 7:35:32 PM
Because it is relaxing and if you have a smaller car we can't really stretch out.
 Cardinalduke
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/2/2006 8:27:53 PM
Yes, if you have a little car sometimes that is the only possible way we can get in your car without having our knees against the dashboard. If I see a full interior that looks the size of my back seat, I'll suggest driving my car! I also consider the possibility of an accident and a knee injury! Seriously. Give a man enough room and he will not have an exaggerated stance. Then maybe a yard or so apart will be about right.

There are reasons guys like trucks in Texas! Many reasons!
 WakeDan
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/2/2006 8:37:35 PM
Have you ever seen a guy sit in a car with his legs held rigidly together? After all these years, it just looks strange, doesn't it? Same as if you see a man standing up with his legs together like women, it looks odd.

Ok here is my theory. I believe it has something to do with hips. Womens hips allow them to cross their legs in ways guys can't. It's why most guys rest an ankle on their knee, instead of 'girl crossing' their legs.

And to be honest, holdiong your legs closed squishes the naughty bits, makes them warm and sweaty. Not much fun.

And for me personally, it takes a constant effort to hold my legs together if I'm sitting down. if I totally relax, my knees just spread apart until they hit 'neutral'. Same thing if I hold them open further than normal. Once I relax, they close to a certain point. that's why I believe it's in the hips.
 retrograde
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/2/2006 8:56:02 PM

I would certainly be open to a woman sitting with her legs apart.. especially if she's wearing a skirt and no panties.

I think that's called a 'Britney'.
 Cardinalduke
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/2/2006 9:11:32 PM

And for me personally, it takes a constant effort to hold my legs together if I'm sitting down. if I totally relax, my knees just spread apart until they hit 'neutral'. Same thing if I hold them open further than normal. Once I relax, they close to a certain point. that's why I believe it's in the hips.

Forget what I said. You nailed it. That is exactly right. Ask any guy to try this. It takes constant muscle control to hold the legs close together at all. It is in the hips and the corresponding muscles. Simple but that is the way it is.
 Michaelann
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/2/2006 9:39:28 PM
Personally, I think some men are just inconsiderate. One of my ex-husbands,
used to do this at home. We had a medium-size couch, fits 3 adults or 2 adults
& 2 kids, unless one of the adults was him! We couldn't sit on it together & he
couldn't understand why it pissed me off, that he needed the couch to himself
& said I should've bought a family sized couch & I replied "it is a family-sized
couch, look in the catalogue!" He claimed it squished his balls to sit with his legs
together & said everybody does it. So I started looking & noticed that most guys
don't. After I pointed out guys on the bus, Skytrain, etc. are capable of sitting
"normally", he finally stopped. I was quite blunt "nobody's balls are THAT big!
 windsorwhiteman
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/2/2006 10:05:29 PM
it's relaxing. I stretch my legs out all the way and keep them open. I guess when they're closed my leg muscles tend to stiffen up, so by keeping them open it relaxes them
 sass393
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2006 10:08:03 PM

I was quite blunt "nobody's balls are THAT big!

EXACTLY!!! thank you. now why can't men just see that!
 Orange Juice Blues
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/2/2006 10:09:39 PM
We're hoping women will mimic our behavior. Spread 'em!
 Metaphysicalman
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/2/2006 10:13:46 PM
It's the Al Bundy Way!

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > why do guys have to sit with their legs so far apart?