Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > The best places to meet the FIRST TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 humoramust46 !!
Msg: 1
The best places to meet the FIRST TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think that meeting for a coffee or a drink is a good idea. If 2 people hit it off they can go from there. A movie would not be a good place to meet someone and alot of people do this, i would never. I think talking is important, no kidding, but a movie of all places. dah. Where do you meet for the first time?
 Leeanne
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The best places to meet the FIRST TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 12/11/2006 4:06:19 AM
If any man ever wanted to meet with me he had to take me for dinner - I don't do coffee (don't drink it) - meeting me is worth more than a buck fifty!!! I want to be treated like a lady - so respect me and make the meeting worthwhile!! A nice dinner, wine, good conversation!!! It's all good!!! I only had one guy say no, then he changed his mind & begged me for two months to meet him for dinner - too late - ya snooze ya loose!!! hehehe

edit (below) it's the cheap jerks that say women only go out for free meals and move on - I can pay for my own meal - I just don't lower my standards for anyone. I also know before I meet someone if they can talk for more than 2 hours - I have usually spent time with them on line and on the phone first!!! I simply don't want to date a man that is not articulate and educated enough to have a conversation for a decent amount of time!! Well anyway I never have to do the meeting thing again - thank God!!!! I just think women should go for exactly what they want and don't stoop to whatever someone else tells you they will do to meet you!! But if coffee is your thing go for it!!!

edit (to msg 5) I am going to the chapel!!! hehehehe I got what I wanted - dinner works!!!
 humoramust46 !!
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/11/2006 4:14:47 AM
Hi Leanne
Your too funny. I agree to some point about the dinner meeting. But if you meet someone who you don't want to be with for a long time it could be a 2 hour meal, seeming more like a 24 hour deal. And as some guys have told me there are some women on these sites that only go for free meals, and move on to the next guy for their next free meal. And you stole my saying if you snooze you lose, but not a problem, i just made up a new one, if you want to date, don't give up on finding the right mate !!!!!!!! sorry silly this morning
 roxyblue
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/11/2006 4:22:36 AM
I don't do coffee either...so no timmy's...but second cup, williams & starbucks are fine. Leeanne...sometimes dinner can be too long
 humoramust46 !!
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/11/2006 4:27:03 AM
How about goin to the chapel, just kiddin , but a sure way to see if he is serious, sorry i am just a tad silly today, going to a store and looking around it with a new guy is a good way to get to know his personality a bit.
 Justplainnormal
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/11/2006 5:28:50 AM
I agree with Leanne....I did the coffee thing the first few times...because I was new to the internet dating site thing and wasn't sure how to go about it! Now, it's a quality date dinner,lunch or a drink..(I don't always expect the man to drop the buck, either I am finacially indepent..thank you very much)..because I know I am worth it!!!! Cripe..if I am going to get dressed up, make-up on and drive all the way into Windsor or Chatham...or sometimes further....then Timmies just isn't going to cut it for me.....By the time you are ready to met the person...you already have a connection via e-mail and phone...so why not enjoy a nice date together.....have fun...the worse that can happen is....you leave knowing that you are just going to remain friends....I call them practice dates...!
 Kitchna
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/11/2006 5:30:01 AM
if using pof as a spring board you've already "met" but to jump out of the box i'd recommend one of the get togethers. some may argue too loud/crowded to get to know a person, but i really want to see if i can hold a man's attention surrounded by a kabillion other singles.

if i'm successful at that, then proceeding from there is probably quite easy.
 Marjabu
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/11/2006 5:42:59 AM
I will meet for a coffee/tea but only at some place decent like Second Cup/Williams, no Timmies for a first date. They are too noisy and have no atmosphere. Or meeting for a drink somewhere that if things go well could progress in to dinner or appetizers or such. I dont mind meeting for dinner, I would pay my own way, but I would hate to get stuck in a 2hr meal if things werent going well.
 Danteslnferno
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 6:24:49 AM
I agree wqith Kitch on this one. If you haven't ever met the person and are hesitant to meet one on one for whatever reasons, the POF events are a good place to meet in a neutral environment. Yes, some of the events are a bit loud or congested, but they also provide a location with lot's of people where you can escape if things aren't going as well as you had hoped.

The coffee thing is also a good idea. It's very casual with no pressure. Dinner is more of a date than an initial meeting. I don't have an issue taking someone to dinner for a date and paying. However, taking someone to dinner for the first time I meet them in person, only to be disappointed in the lack of chemistry/conversation/interest and having to fork out 150 - 200 dollars for basically nothing isn't wise. Ya ya ya some might be saying, how cheap is he to not even spend that on a dinner to meet someone. How about meeting at a cafe, not Timmie's, for dessert or a small bar for a drink for a first 'meet'? If things go well in conversation, then let's do dinner on me? Point is, before I invest my time/effort/money on someone I want to see if there is a possibility of romance and interest there. If there isn't I won't make the effort, but thank them for meeting me and yes, I will even buy them their drinks and dessert lol.
 MEGA_CHULO2007
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/11/2006 9:56:25 AM
LOL!!! To the men that have to pay for an expensive dinner for someone and the date might not be a guarantee hit off.....you'll be out of cash and the woman will be gone. HELLS NO!!! I wish a woman would suggest dinner, she would get deleted with the quickness. I've always experience great first date meetings and hit it off well with women, even developed relationships with them. I feel that if a woman likes a man, she should be happy meeting him ANYWHERE in public, a bookstore, park, coffee shop, bar...wherever. It's not that serious.
 JeepRennie
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/11/2006 10:42:10 AM
A nice casual no-pressure setting, like a drink or a coffee, for either party is always best for a first meeting. History has proven it to me. There have been times when I've talked to someone online and/or on the phone for a while and found lots in common... then we meet in person and BOOM!... one or the other of us just finds no attraction for the whole person. On the other hand, drinks and coffee have sometimes gone on to dinner and talking half the night away.

For me, anyone that talks about not "lowering" standards or has rigid expectations or takes a "women first" attitude just seems a little too high maintenance and inflexible to be bothered with. Life is easier going with the flow rather than trying to force it to be what you want it to be.

Some will disagree... but that's cool. To each their own.
 Justplainnormal
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/11/2006 10:55:33 AM
@ Jeep & Mega..............I disagree.....who says the man had to pay the whole tab Mega??? and Jeep....
anyone that talks about not "lowering" standards or has rigid expectations or takes a "women first" attitude just seems a little too high maintenance and inflexible to be bothered with.

not lowering standards does not mean that you are rigid, "woman first" or too high maintenance....OMG.......it just means...you set minimum requirements for yourself and anyone you want to date....you want to move forward and up ...not back and down in life......nothing wrong of having high expectations for your future mate...I can assure you I know an not any of the things you stated....but I do have expectations as you would hopefully have for your future mate............Me...well I am way beyond the coffee at timmies dating scene!!! Yikes...but not below a nice drink at a nice Pub....What is that saying ....oh yes....."I WILL NOT DO ANYTHING FOR ANYONE THAT I WON'T DO FOR MYSELF FIRST"...and on that note I would never ask a date to go to Timmies...yuk!
 ~~~HK~~~
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/11/2006 11:25:17 AM
WTF.........Here I thought play place at Mc D's, a Chocolate Milk Shake & a visit to Sin City was a good idea with a good game of winter twister outside.....dammit!!! < oh darn that's a date not a meeting......

Okay Very first meeting.....phewwwww, I always mention patio nights/ java nights and Parties......
I feel this is casual, no pressure and safe for both ppl. They can bring a friend and it's non committal for both ppl. We can see how it goes.
Sometimes I hear....I'm not that social or I don't like big groups........well guess your not so much for me than...
a) it's not all about you eh
b) Negativity
C) I'm social, you won't like the real me cuz I'm out and about
D)Hey Dude, this is where I feel SAFE because remember I don't know you, oh and yeah if you can't grasp this well.........your not for me either because my friends are part of me...(so really if you meet me out at an event, your meeting pretty much all of me).....and what the heck it's a party or g/t bring your friends too ( WHAT! you don't have any???)
E) If we hit it off okay there's lots of time for you and I....what's the hurry?

I think the best first meetings involve no cash at all. ( Yeah I wanna crash a wedding )......dating isn't about the money, it's a about meeting each other. First Meetings where you both are physically moving around ( NO Dante NOT Like Dat! LMFAO) and relaxed are the best.

Than again I have lots to learn.....

Who's up for a snowball fight meeting?
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 11:34:27 AM
To me it all depends on the person.
Some like to meet for coffee. Some want to chat over dinner. Some would like to watch a movie, and chat while taking a walk afterwards...

Get to know the person first, and find out what they like...
 Leeanne
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 11:39:09 AM
Hey JeepRennie & MEGA_CHULO200 - boys, boys, boys come now........
we are talking ONE dinner - it's not the rest of your life - it's approx. 2 hours out of a lifetime relationship - if you pull you strings right!! hahahahaha It's putting you best foot forward - showing a woman she's worth it - that you care to treat her well!!! Doesn't mean McD's isn't a place for the 200th date - or Tim's the following week. It's starting things in a nice respectful fun and great way!! Don't you enjoy an nice romantic dinner a couple of drinks to relax - good conversation and great food?!?!? I have had literally ONE man ever say I wasn't worth taking out for a nice evening and they never regretted it and some I even still talk to them. It's great when you can connect in a nice way. Usually you already know it's going to be a fun date because you have spoken, hopefully for awhile and like each other already. It's not like you went on line at 8am and by dinner you are taking her to the Keg!! Please it's a relationship in the making - you like her - you know her personality - you already want to spend a few hours with her!!! You definitely wouldn't be taking someone you haven't made a connection with at some level!!!

BTW - It's hard to get to know a man when some Mom in Timmies has her 3 year old rolling on the floor screaming for another timbit and the neighbours come in and want to know who your 'friend' is - Oh and not to mention the gang of teens hanging outside the door smoking and swearing!!! HUM romantic !! Thanks for meeting me at Tims!!! hahahahaha
Will ya bring a coupon!?!?!
 Danteslnferno
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 11:48:19 AM
Leanne,

sorry hun but I have to disagree with you here. It doesn't have to be Timmie's but why does it have to be dinner???? I am more than willing to go out to dinner with someone and pay, but not as a first meet. If there is interest to go on a date, the date can include dinner. Not a problem, but to expect dinner at a fine restaurant for a first meet, and then to realize after 10 minutes or instantly that there is no chemistry or spark can be dang expensive if you go out to meet people often enough. Like I said before, I will be more than happy to pick up a tab for someone I meet the first time even if we don't hit it off, but don't expect me to take you for the lobster dinner when I have no idea who the heck you are and have just emailed you once or twice on some internet dating site.
 Leeanne
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 11:53:44 AM
Hey did I say FINE dining - I like Swiss Challet - as long as we get a booth - they serve wine - - Kelseys is cool - Eastside Marios - come on now $14.99 isn't that bad is it?!?!?!
Pick a place, but make sure it's in the corner booth - private to chat!!! Hum !!! Could be fun!!!

LOL Why do men think dinner means Lobster and steak?!?!? That's for the anniversary!!
Or for when your BF is kissing up, after he's been a very bad boy!! hehehe

Remember boys it's ONE meal - not every meal from that day forward - every woman I know goes dutch or even pays from time to time - that's the norm when in a relationship!!
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 11:56:55 AM
I don't mind going out for dinner for a first date.
Or paying.

In fact, I will generally always offer to pay, unless it's been agreed on beforehand.
Now... if the woman always expects me to pay... that could be a problem. I mean, I won't just let her use me for free meals all the time. ;)
 Danteslnferno
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 12:01:29 PM
Is the purpose to not meet the person and get to know them better? Is that easier done when having a drink or taking a walk and talking rather than stuffing one's face with food?

That's my point Leanne. I'm not cheap. Yeah Kelsey's or Swiss Chalet or whatever is inexpensive, but it isn't JUST about the expense. all I am arguing that why does it HAVE TO BE DINNER?
 northernmiss
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/11/2006 12:02:27 PM
I prefer somewhere I can make a quick getaway, somewhere I am not expected to endure two hours in case I don't like him or he doesn't like me.....it hasn't happened yet, but it might.

Timmies is fine for the first meeting. ...the second meeting can be dinner or something fun to do.
 Bestknight
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 12:18:15 PM
The last few women I have met on here have -ALL- suggested a nice cafe'
NO NOT TIMMY's LOL.

I think a good restaurant or pub that have a good variety on their menu's. Ie: wine/coffee...
(and more then wings...LOL)

and one that is located at least half way between where we live.

I have NO problem treating a women like a Lady...If she prefers a nice restaurant on the first date then that's fine !

--anything but laze on a couch and watch endless t.v/movies...(with NO conversation)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Energeena
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/11/2006 12:25:18 PM
I agree %100 Bestknight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a nice cafe' is always my first choice.

I like the fact that I don't have to sit in a restaurant waiting for the meal when I know there is NO chemistry with a guy whatsoever !!! (Awkward)

coffee is the best choice ! and If we hit it off we can take it wih us and go for a nice walk and perhaps end up at a nice place/restaurant ?

how bout' this friday bestknight ???????
 ravenlocks
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/11/2006 12:32:17 PM
I feel wayyyy more comfortable meeting in a coffee shop that I have been to before.

I prefer a VERY public place for the first meeting....then if all works out then YES a nice restaurant is perfect for the next meeting.

as long as I am absolutely sure about directions.....

oh .......and how about This Saturday ..then Bestknight ??????
: ) :)
 mirage9
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/11/2006 12:38:39 PM
well I have done it all.....

did the dinner thing and it was about 1 hour and 50 minutes too long

did the "game of pool thing" and it was one game too long I couldnt wait for the black ball to be sunk......(ok so I did it on purpose)

did the "walk in the park" just too darn cold ( note to self -dress warmer)

never done the movie thing...that makes no sense to me

did lots of timmies though...its a good way to break the ice for that initial meeting but I do find it is cold and insensitive....but more often than not saved me from alot of wasted time....half hour and I was out of there in most cases.....

a drink at a pub/patio.....this is usually good as there is music, or people to watch etc if there is a lull in the conversation.........and if your hungry you can grab a bite(paying dutch of course..)

finally the only one that worked for me was "a POF Party"

it is different for everyone i guess.......whatever you prefer lets just hope the meeting leads to a first date....and YES ONE WITH DINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ~Jenni-pooh~
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/11/2006 12:44:16 PM
I would say some sort of group situation is a great way to first meet someone... Not only do you get to meet them with less pressure, but you also get to see them among people who know them and possibly people who know you as well!

Whether it be a POF party, a couple groups of friends meeting up at the same bar one night, getting together for a mixed round of golf... the possibilities are endless. I don't really have any horror stories of meeting someone one on one, but there's something to be said for taking the pressure off of both people, being more creative than meeting at a flippin' coffee shop and making it a unique experience. It could very well be the beginning of something great... I never thought I would say this, but I'm partial to POF parties... gee, I wonder why? ha!

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > The best places to meet the FIRST TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!