Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > When it comes to Christmas or The Holiday formerly known as Christmas      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Byrd
Msg: 1
view profile
History
When it comes to Christmas or The Holiday formerly known as Christmas...Page 1 of 1    
Do you place things on layaway? Buy presents all year around for Christmas? Or Wham! Bam! Boom! Do all your shopping on Christmas Eve? How thrifty are you do you save? Go for the discounts, or do you not care? What kind of gifts do you buy? Make? for friends? Loved ones? I spend alot time with my cats I'm curious...I buy magazine subscriptions I make payments on them usually starting in the Summer, Readers Digest gave me a great deal 5 sub's for 17.97..My family mom, sisters, etc. All get Guideposts christian magazine as Catholic's they hate it but it's a moderate form of torture acceptable legally..
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 2
view profile
History
When it comes to Christmas or The Holiday formerly known as Christmas...
Posted: 12/11/2006 9:53:43 PM
I found a local thrift store (second hand store) that does layaway. I usually start early like right after the 4th of July and start buying up things like socks and underwear. That way I have time to find the good stuff and not settle for all those stains. One time I got lucky and found a pair of false teeth that was hardly even used. I think they belonged to a vegetarian. They almost fit my brother in law and with a little sandpaper and some bondo left over from that wreck last year he's able to chew his food again. I'm hoping this year I can find a wooden leg for my aunt. She had to get out fast last month when she went to sleep with that cigarette and caught the couch on fire. She had to leave the leg behind and it was burnt up. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I think I will anyway since we're on the subject of buying Christmas gifts. What color of belt should I get to go with blue flip flops?
 huckfinnsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 8:11:22 AM
Maybe all that should have gone into the humor category under rednecks. I'm sorry Byrd. I didn't mean to kill your thread. I was just feeling a little silly and it just came out. Merry Christmas.
 Byrd
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 10:20:20 AM
You didn't kill my thread I did when I'm not out on the street talking people into coma's I'm here on pof...I guess I got hit in the head so many times I can't stop talking and people are afarid of my size even my cats try to get away from me they get really scared when there's no food in the ice box..Now I'm into the lord and even the homeless that want a couple bucks for a beer are running from me, sh t I can't even pay someone to listen to me. I was just curious about the Christmas shopping of course alot of people don't wanna talk about money online..If you should run into another set of dentures and they look like they belong in a big mouth, let me know....
 sammy salt
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/12/2006 10:28:02 AM
Oct I start looking for what they want, and I buy the best one I can find, and into law away it goes. Wal-mart will lose my busness because they will no longer have law a way. We have to have a place to hide it, and lay a way works every time.
 dixietrucker
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 12:56:10 PM
WHAT?!?!?!? Christmas is coming?!?!?!?!? How many days are left?!?!?!?!? Wait a minute...it's only the 12th! I've got PLENTY of time!
 summerbout
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/12/2006 1:31:16 PM
Yup, Dixie trucker, only 13 days left of shopping. Well 12, since today is half over. But if you rush the stores are open later now.

I usually start around Sept or Oct. , gives me enough time, hopefully to find something the people on my list will like.

But every year, I find when the days are at the minumum for shopping, I still need more.

Now that my kids are grown, it is sooooo much easier though. they always want cash.

When they were young and believed in the red suited fat guy, I had to start much earlier.
 sophieb223
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/12/2006 1:43:21 PM
I start in October and buy those little gifts, flea markets, craft fairs, or great sales at the malls. November I dump cash on all my bills so when December comes I can just think about christmas for my daughter, then other family and friends. It's a system I can't get away from, and it works for me.

Then I start all over again in January with bills.
 twoshadows
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/12/2006 1:48:40 PM
I try to decide what I'm going to get each person ahead of time,then go out and buy it. Got my shopping done in 2 days this year. Now I just need to go get some batteries for the kid's toys.
 Shangrilah
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/12/2006 2:23:49 PM
I don't do layaway since I don't have kids and there's not a lot to buy for

I work in a store and get a good discount so I shop there a lot. I also love to shop online - can find some good deals
 Byrd
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 5:38:48 PM
Yea I plan on selling a diamond Rolex quartz womans watch that works I found in a trash can while recycling on E-Bay soon if the old Huckster can't find me some of those used dentures in his favorite thrift store..
 josiemac
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 5:53:44 PM
I always have the intention to start shopping early but alas it doesn't happen. Fortunately I only have one child with very inexpensive tastes to boot. This year all he wants is a Laurie Berkner CD, tape-yes plain old scotch tape, a toy microwave that makes noise and chocolate. That's what he's getting. Not a very tall order and no need for layaway which I don't use anyway. If I can't afford it at the time I don't buy it until I can.

If my son wanted something expensive (anytime-not just on the holidays, birthdays...) and I thought it was appropriate for him to have I would put a cap on what I would spend on it then look for it either on sale, at a discount store or used and I would keep looking until I found a quality one within my range. I do this in regards to my own purchases also. So, yeah, I'm thrifty.

I don't give adults gifts and the nieces and nephew get gift cards. No stress during the holidays, a happy kid and no going into debt.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/12/2006 6:11:20 PM
Tis' the few days before xmas after days and days of research on what to get and where, my plan hatches;

1) get up and eat a good meal, get kids go to a sitter
2) wear tight wind resistant clothings, hair back in ponytail, bankcard securely in pocket
3) get dropped off at local mall with a designated pickup at a certain time
4) slide in through crowds, grab items, slide out of crowds and cut in line up when the person isnt looking
5) pay.. get out

get home .. wait till kiddies are sleeping.... have a drink and wrap

fa la la la la ............la!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Ladyphoenix478
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/12/2006 7:16:20 PM
Bought the girls computers in Oct....merry christmas! Gave gave mom money in Nov....merry christmas! We don't get excited about Christmas, it should be everyday of the year, we show our love for one another. Little gifts for parties where do exchanges, everybody is happy!
I just refuse to allow the holiday stress me, no lines no worries!Merry Christmas all!
 anApplepear
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 8:50:22 PM
The bliss of gift giving is not how much money in our pockets; it is how many people in our hearts we truly love to and could buy gifts for. I tend to think not that just because I want to give and that whoever SO I shopped for must accept from me; that SO has to like me to a certain level to appreciate my gift. When I find something pretty and know exactly whom could I give it to, it is always joyful and I do treasure this type of small happiness.

I do not do layaways. I won’t go to different places to find the best bargains. My time and energy worth a lot; moreover I am a quick shopper. With good tastes and sharp eyes I bought many beautiful and useful things with little times; my friends admire me for this special ability; they all like what I purchased. My gifts are in range of $10 to $50 with some exceptions.

For this Christmas I am making croutons (in tin cans) and stuffed dressing (in freezer bags) to my friends. One of my girlfriends has a sandwiches business and because she uses only fresh buns, I can have the day old buns from her and turn them into kitchen gifts. I love to work in the kitchen.

I stock up Christmas Crackers to give away to the kids. And yes, I shop year around, and do always have small gifts at home to give away for all occasions not only for Christmas.
 Scarlett63
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/16/2006 5:30:01 PM
I get everything done in the last week. I buy what I want, not so much what they have asked for. The stores are emptier, still lots of selection, and gives me time to think without stressing about crowds and nonsense. The magic of Christmas is alive.
Scarlett
 Byrd
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2006 5:39:25 PM
All the food gifts I've bought have become my medical marijuana munchies..I told my buddy the other day that I wrote a country Christmas song about him..He said "What's it called?" I says " I got the munchies and ate your Christmas present.." Anyway back to the drawing board.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > When it comes to Christmas or The Holiday formerly known as Christmas...