Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Georgia  > how do you handle being alone at Christmas?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yahooey
Msg: 1
how do you handle being alone at Christmas?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm really having trouble being by myself for the holidays, thanksgiving was bad enough, but christmas is coming up and no family to be with. Any suggestions on how to cope, short of alcoholic oblivion?
 Bk2
Msg: 2
how do you handle being alone at Christmas?
Posted: 12/12/2006 10:55:14 AM
Hi Yahooey,

sorry to hear about the loneliness......but at times it might be self inflicted too.....

you are a Christian man....you can always see what is happening at the church....usually a couple services.....get togethers...join the choir.....lol...have some fun!

join up a carolling group for the holidays...or volunteer at your local soupery.....read the local newspaper and see what is being planned......skiing....wax up the ol toboggan...hayrides....and get out....just get out......if you choose the bottle you will be alone for sure....

invite the lady you have a crush on out to a christmas play or dance....get prepped for new years..

start the christmas music now and get in the mood......invite some friends over and cook up a bird....find a neighbour who you know is alone.....invite them over for a bird.....it doesn't always have to include a beautiful woman....although if one was found one under their tree it would make the season warmer........

anyway....get positive and have some fun -remember you can always make someone else's Christmas the best.....:))

Merry Christmas!

0:)

Wolfie888
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/12/2006 2:16:38 PM
no matter how you look at it,it just sucks.peace-out
 atlanta_hot_bbw
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/17/2006 7:28:53 PM
Just about everyone I know has a wheelbarrow load of baggage they drag with them through the holidays. It takes a humongous amount of willpower to pull yourself up from that, but one thing that will always get you over yourself is helping someone less fortunate. In AA it is called service work.

The truth is no matter how bad a situation is, it is never better drowned in alcohol. So, get out of your comfort zone and help some people who are less fortunate than you. You will be amazed at how it will brighten your holidays.

Michele
 blu_byu
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/19/2006 12:53:19 PM
You handle it just like you do any other time of the year...One day at a time.
Well, that and a "quickie" whenever you can get one.....
 CurvyGyrl
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/19/2006 3:34:10 PM
I'm looking forward to it.
 kt00
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2006 5:37:36 PM
Holidays can be very difficult to deal with alone. But, are you really alone? No friends, no family, nobody you can call. Last September my little girl passed away, she was only seven years old. It had been just her and me for those seven years, and then she was gone. Halloween, then her birthday, then Christmas. I learned the value of true friends through those months, they weren't easy, but they weren't impossible either. Call someone, go do something, get involved with life, wake up and look around, you're feeling sorry for yourself when there are people out there with real problems. If you are alone, it's because you choose to be.
 Kyn269
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/19/2006 5:57:35 PM
KT00,

I could not imagine your struggles, my heart goes out to you as well as my prayers, but as you said, you learn the value of friends and family. Call someone, get involved with life... their is always someone somewhere who could use a smile, hug, or Candy Cane.

As My Favorite Blu said.... just like you handle everyday.... one day at a time...

I personally find it easier, when I let God handle it...then I know I am okay.... My big girls leave for a week starting on christmas day, and every other weekend.... I dreaded those days for a long time, now I look forward to those days... it gives me time to get out and meet people, or get involved with different things.

I miss them like crazy when they're gone and so does their little sister.... but I swear they grow 3 inches while they're gone...

the Key, get involved, find something to keep you busy.... the more you get out, the more people you meet, the more chance you have of making friends......

Kyn
 2findU
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2006 7:57:27 AM
I've been alone for many a Christmas, not my holiday. I just rent videos since there isn't much on TV. Thise year and last year too I went to visit my parents in FL. A 10 hr drive. Sometimes I fly.
 Wolfie888
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/22/2006 1:36:41 PM
I wont be alone.Iv got my hand....If five finger sally doesnt do the job.Iv got my blow-up sue....lol Peace-Out
 whothehellknows
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/22/2006 3:17:36 PM

I'm looking forward to it.

Same here. While company would be nice, it is not that big of a deal for me either way.
 hippychick29
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2006 3:33:18 PM
Last year I had my anger to keep me company. This year, I'll be with my family as usual, but it really sucks being the "odd man" out. I'm the only single one in my family. So I am not quite sure how I will handle it.

Oh well, one day that special someone will discover that there is a wonderful person over here. I just hope I don't become too cynical before that happens.

Merry Christmas to all of my New Friends here!

LUV YA MEAN IT!

K

BigDaddy9295
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/22/2006 6:51:14 PM
To me, just being alone on 1 day out of the year isnt that big a deal, even if it is christmas. To me what sucks is not having anyone to talk to about what to get loved ones, when you cant think of anything, noone to go shopping with for the kids, so he doesnt get something stupid! I guess it juts sucks to be alone the whole year!
 nisey
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/22/2006 7:10:30 PM
I am very lucky I have my children to hold on to during the holidays. I see all the excitment in their eyes and it helps me get where I need to be. Everyone wants someone special at this time we've just got to be patience it will come in it's own time.
 skunk12pu
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2006 8:14:11 PM
Actually, the loneliness waxes and wanes until the sunsets. Then, I hope I get voted off the Island of Misfit toys. LOL!
Good Grief! Cheer Up!
Merry Christmas, You Blockhead!
Skunk
 Wolfie888
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/22/2006 9:25:24 PM
Damn bigdaddy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you had to go and bring that up............Thats it im off this depressing thread.Peace-Out
 Bk2
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/22/2006 9:50:00 PM
Now how do I handle a Christmas alone....

Well, I take it like a real man...... bring out my ol Martin guitar and a box of tissue......

Tink that was one Christmas.....this year will be a riot....my daughter and son will both be here for a week......I am definitely all smiles.....no tissue....but the guitar will be strumming up some good old Carols...:))) Sadly, no lady will take a chance on this crazy guy....

Merry Christmas everyone.... to everyone.....especially those ladies that are lonely tonight....0:)

0:)

Southern_Sam
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/23/2006 2:55:43 AM
I use Vasaline.
 teacher55
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2006 4:38:38 AM
Well, this time of year is hard for a lot of people. For many years, as a child and as an adult, I looked forward to this time of year with anticipation and growing excitement. Now that I am 56, divorced and living alone, I just dread this time of year. I have family, 2 sisters and on brother...they have their families...children and grandchild, but I have no children. My siblings and I get together on Christmas Eve and I cook Italian. What a wonderful time we have, every year. Then, the next morning, Christmas Day, I am alone...I just try to sleep late...but can't always seem to do that. I cry a little, watch television a little, cry a little, pray that the next year will bring THE man into my life that I have been waiting for God to send. The day will pass regardless of how I feel. And then off to work the next day, with all the pain in my heart hidden by the smile I feel I need to wear. I am a non drinker, and don't eat a lot...so there's no excessive physical undoing of my lost weight...and then I cry again. However, tears do wash the soul...and tears are a language that God does understand.

April R.
 Kyn269
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/23/2006 8:11:41 AM
Hippy I'm with ya on that one.... "odd Woman Out" 4 sisters all married.....

But I spend the holidays with my family and count my blessings that I have them to be with....

As far as the shopping alone Bigdaddy it Sux.... Would love to have someone to "fuss in a loving way" with over what toys to buy the kids, family & each other.... (I really do miss that part) now I just spend to much money cause I can't make up my mind.....lol & I had to buy something (small) for myself to put under the tree this year.... the girls got awful mad when Santa didn't leave me a presentunder the tree & I didn't have anything to open up last year..lol

When the big girls leave I stilll have the baby to keep me company... but not quite the same thing as good companionship.... oh well one day ......it could happen...lol

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. Count your blessings for what you do have, and not what you don't...I think you'll find you have a lot more than you realized...

Kyn
 koigee
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/23/2006 7:02:07 PM
Just thank god you have lived another year. Your only lonely because you choose to be in that state of mind. Its all about the attitude. This is my first Christmas alone and really its not that bad. Just another day by myself, what make it any different that any other day

Merry Christmas everyone
Judy
 lookin-2
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/23/2006 8:43:09 PM
find some friends to spend most of the day with. that's what i'm doing.
 Winebuddy
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/24/2006 10:27:31 AM
get yourself a "young bird" and "stuff" it this christmas
 Wolfie888
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/24/2006 2:07:47 PM
Sh-t,I think Id rather have a winebuddy to drink with.peace-out I can do some stuffing later that night
 kristi47
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/24/2006 10:55:40 PM
I would say do something you can do by yourself, curl up w/ a book, movie, veg-out, clean the house, enjoy a hobby. There are a lots of things you can do. If u have friends go hang out. But enjoy whatever you do!
Show ALL Forums  > Georgia  > how do you handle being alone at Christmas?