Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > POF PROFILES ON INTERNET SEARCH ENGINES      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Drifa
Msg: 1
POF PROFILES ON INTERNET SEARCH ENGINESPage 1 of 1    
I have just discovered when one creates a profile, such as those with POF, the various internet search engines access the data. Just type your profile name on a common search engine and not only will you likely find your profile but discover you have several sites within the same search engine....each one reflecting the comments you have contributed to various POF threads. ~~ I signed in with POF in June 2006 under this profile name. Apparently, there was a woman who previously used the same profile name with POF, but wrote "k" in lower-case vs "K" in upper-case as I have. Despite this, her thread comments (written before I became a member) appear under my profile. Apparently, she is no longer a POF member or has changed her profile name.

I checked it out and easily accessed my profile with several noted sites on two commonly used search engines....each one with thread comments made by the previous member using the same name (with a lower-case "k"). Needless to say, the comments do not reflect my experience with POF.... interestingly enough, the threads I have commented on (Sept./Nov./Dec. 2006) were not on the search engines.

POF members who are not aware of this process may wish to know their comments on threads (along with their profile) may show on search engines.....most importantly ~ as was my experience ~ your profile may reflect thread comments made by a POF member who previously used the same profile name. Unfortunately, those comments appear to be ones you have contributed on the threads. Misleading to say the least!.

FYI
 y_b_good
Msg: 2
POF PROFILES ON INTERNET SEARCH ENGINES
Posted: 12/22/2006 4:46:13 AM
well if there is 2 y_b_good's d a m n I wanna meet the other one..
 DietCoke®Guy
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/22/2006 4:46:31 AM
Luckily, no one in the real world knows me as DietCoke®Guy, so I can continue posting my drivel with impunity.
But seriously, POF is heavily indexed by Google - great when you want to find something you posted earlier. I know I definitely wonder often if people are thinking before they post some of the stuff I have seen in the forums or in their profiles. People seem to have this idea that this is like a private little chat room, when it is anything but.
As far as misleading posts, I suppose that could apply to other websites as well if one was to use a pseudonym that had ever been used by anybody on any of the billions of pages indexed by search engines. On POF, even if the name is the same, if they clicked the name hyperlink to see your profile, it will only go to your profile if you were the author.
Bottom line - just because you saw it on the Internet, that doesn't make it true.
 Srooc
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/22/2006 5:23:08 AM

I know I definitely wonder often if people are thinking before they post some of the stuff I have seen in the forums

Nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Maxhal
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/25/2006 2:39:38 PM
I think posting a comment or opinion on a forum topic, makes us feel better that either we are contributing to a topic of discussion or we are just getting something off of our chest.
It usually makes me feel better, and I don't care if someone takes it the wrong way. Usually most posts can be taken the wrong way no matter how careful we are about wording our response or anticipating other peoples perception of what we write.

Hey, if your not living on the edge, your taking up too much space. Post your heart out POFers.

Happy New Year Manitoba
 prince harry
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/25/2006 4:50:05 PM
so how do i click on this search engine??
 DietCoke®Guy
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/25/2006 5:47:04 PM
^^ Try Googling it to find out!
 Chivalrous Sheriff
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/25/2006 6:11:17 PM
I'm thinking there will be a few other links associated with.... the OTHER Prince Harry..

1:10 says I'm right...

Guess where the "Chivalrous" One sits.... yep...right on top of the heap !!
 ITV
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/25/2006 6:34:23 PM
Wow thats right. I googled "ITV pof" and it came up with..."Forums where itv last posted"... Almost scarey.
 bluesman44
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/25/2006 6:40:07 PM

Try Googling it to find out!

You may want to Google "Google" just to make sure its still there.
 Deranged
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2006 7:15:51 PM
i tried a few different pof names... yep. google pulled their post histories.

my pof name... google came up with some swedish death metal band and some psycho killer in wisconsin.

but no me...
 Lucette325
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2006 8:12:47 PM
That's weird -my name still comes up.

I knew long ago that what was posted on here was seachable on google. There are other threads on the subject, too.
 SweetBabyblues
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/26/2006 3:55:06 PM
OMG I've been found out can't hide anywhere on the internet.
 narkle2
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/26/2006 7:11:41 PM
Deranged? A Swedish death metal band? Well.....? That's pretty close ain't it?
(^^^^Notice how I do so well to stay away from the 'psycho killer' comments )

Well I just googled my nickname 'narkle' and I don't think I like either one of the definitions in the 'Urban Dictonary'.

(Just freakin' grrreeeeaat... I really have to pay more attention when I pick a name on here.)

Really Am Me
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/26/2006 7:24:02 PM
Somehow it directed me to the Ontario and BC threads...hope it is not an omen that I should move (I haven't finished paying for my house yet!).
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > POF PROFILES ON INTERNET SEARCH ENGINES