Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Help!, A Questions for Midwest Men???????????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RealBrunetteLady
Msg: 1
Help!, A Questions for Midwest Men???????????Page 1 of 1    
I moved here from Southern California three years ago now. From time to time I get strange comments about being raised in CA. In fact, I usually don't tell anyone that I'm from CA anymore, until I get to know them a little better due to the strange comments I have received in the past.

I just recently added to my profile that I'm from CA and have already had a strange comment stated. I do know that 40,000 people left California and moved to Missouri in 2004, I thought it should not be that risky having that in my profile.

So please tell me, what do Midwest Men really think of Southern California women????????????

Do you really have any preformed thoughts or stereotypes??????

Good or Bad please explain.

Thanks so much in advance.
Merry Christmas!

CK
 Glenn24
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Help!, A Questions for Midwest Men???????????
Posted: 12/22/2006 9:09:29 AM
Hi realbrunette,

I live in Wisconsin (that Midwest enough) and have been to Calif once in my life. I have no preformed thoughts re: Southern California women. What were some of the comments you received. If appropriate let us know.
 YEAIDD
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/22/2006 9:15:46 AM
I would think that they have the same stereotypes that most other men have about southern california women....they are shallow with no substance and ultimately missing the whole picture when it comes to 'life'.But see if your in chicago or a city close...you can multiply this by about 15 because most guys in those cities 'know EVERYTHING'.....
 hazy vistas
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/22/2006 9:20:08 AM
Since we know that all midwestern men think the same thing about all women from southern California, it should be simple enough to find any one of them to state that group's opinion. I used to be from the midwest, now I am from the south. As a southern man I think much differently now. It seems to me there is a deeper question here: What do midwestern men think of women from the midwest who used to live in southern california? That might be worth considering.
 ubkobalt
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/22/2006 12:07:01 PM
They do not need to think or have opinions. They will be assimilated with time.
 EastSideEddie
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/22/2006 12:08:22 PM

what do Midwest Men really think of Southern California women

Are they all the same?

Like, OH m'GOD!!!!

Likely it depends on the size of the breasts......
 kawi-rider
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/22/2006 4:10:24 PM
My former boss's wife is from So Cal and she can drop right into the Valley Girl talk. It's hilarious to me. Beyond her, I have no personal experience with So Cal girls.

Maybe it was that Beach Boys song that started it? I'm sure Hollywood and the entertainment biz had a hand in forming some opinions over the years.

I do get annoyed when people go on and on about how great it was elsewhere. Which begs the question, why don't they take their own advice?

midmoman1
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/23/2006 3:03:20 AM
I will preface this with the fact that I have several friends, two of whom are women, that are born and raised Los Angelans. My opinion is that Californians are self important, talk way more than they listen and in general feel that, because of where they hail from, their opinions should carry more weight. That would be true in L.A., I suppose, but when transplanted learn the lay of the land before you chime in on things you don't understand. Oh and one more thing, if you are from the greater megaopolis of Los Angeles then just say you are from L. A. No one cares whether you are from north hollywood, hermosa beach or irvine, its all the same thing.
 RedneckHippy
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/23/2006 5:57:45 AM
Born in California, raised in Nevada,
lived in Nevada most of my adult life too......
Now living in Texas.

I enjoy the geographic stereotyping.
Think of the scene from the movie 'Easyriders',
"Ya ain't from around here, are ya?"

*Eastwood spaghetti western music playing in the background*
 smith2267
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/23/2006 9:18:18 AM
Californians have the stereotype of being preoccupied with looks, youth, and youth culture.
I don't know how much truth there is to it, but that's what's out there.
I've heard it called "the land of fruits and nuts". :)
You guys didn't help your image any by electing Arnold, either.
I live in Ohio, btw.
 troublewithu
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2006 2:03:40 PM
Hmmm I really do not have an opinion about women from S. Cal.. However the fact that you made a point of saying that you are from there in your profile suggests that you are unhappy where you are now. It also suggests that you might have bit of chip on your shoulder about being from there and that you look down upon other parts of the country. Some people who are happy if not proud about where they live might have a bit of a problem with that. I would advise that you remove any reference to where you used to live. What would be the point?... you don't live there now. If you don't make issue of it why should anyone else? I do know there is some hostility in differents parts of the country with folks from Calf. cashing in on that crazy real estate market out there and moving east and possibly driving prices up here but I really do not why that would effect you as an individual. Unless of course as I stated previously... you make it an issue.
 LiftedFord
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/24/2006 12:01:16 AM
most guys from the midwest are farmers or have worked on farms like i have, or just in general blue collar guys. im not saying all, just some. when we think california women we think stuck up, gold digger, snobs who think theyre all that. when most people think california they think:LA, Beverly Hills, Rich People, Snobs, etc.
 Smjle
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/29/2006 4:55:14 PM
Look guys are going to say whatever, if nothing else, just to make conversation. However, we are attracted to girls based on looks, attitude, and their actions. It really doesn't matter where they are from. If things are not working out with guys the way you would like, look for the real reason and not something insignificant like which state you are from.
 doctexas01
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/29/2006 5:14:37 PM

I do know that 40,000 people left California and moved to Missouri in 2004

realbrunette,
Why the mass exodus from California? And that's just people going to Missouri.

I lived in the southland for 1.5 years, had one gf from the midwest. The only term I remember having heard about CA women was 'airheads'. I had no real opinion of my own.
 doctexas01
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/29/2006 6:40:53 PM
realbrunette,
You are on the same page with every word of your response. Crowds, cost, commute, etc., all good reasons not to live in Ca. That's why I didn't stick around. I don't know what you're doing now, but cubicle life isn't for me either. I.T. jobs, when you find them, generally stick you in one. People weren't made to be stuck in a small space for at least 8 hours every day. Lot's to do in Ca. in every direction, but crowds going there and/or coming back, sitting in traffic, you feel like half the planet's population went there also. And the politics have gone way too far to the left. Nothing like washing your car, coming out the next morning and finding a layer of soot all over it.
Forget stereotypes, just be yourself. It's not where you're from, but who you are. nuff said.
 Smjle
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/29/2006 10:03:14 PM

Smjle, I was just trying to figure out if I wanted to state in my profile where I was raised. Most of the comments I heard about S. Cal girls came from people that I had no dating interest in. Their comments lead me to believe that it was not a good thing to mention in a profile due to stereotyping.

Realbrunette, it is fine if you don't mention where you are from and it is fine if you do. I just don't believe it makes any difference. If not mentioning it makes you more comfortable, that that is the best thing to do.

Now the following are the important things: The first thing men are going to do when viewing your profile is look at your photos. If they like and accept what they see they will read your profile. For a substantial number of men you answer to the question on smoking will be important. Most non-smokers will view it a negative. A few men may not like your feelings about motorcycles. Overall, I think your profile is very good because it provides enough information, including the fact that you write well and are intelligent, to let men decide if you may be a good match. True, some will be turned off and a few may be intimidated, but they are not the men you are seeking anyway.
 Vincent10554
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/9/2007 10:00:30 AM
I was raised in Texas, all of my children were born in Texas, but I did live in California for a while so maybe I can offer some limited insight to you. Keep in mind that these are nothing but simple observations from a single point of view. I'm not saying that all fit in these observations or that they are even correct but only that they are MY observations from MY point of view. I'm certainly no expert and have my own opinions that I'm sure influence that point of view.

Much of this is due to the broad range of people that I was involved with while there.

Most of the women liked talking about anything so long as it wasn't boring. It had to be something grand, whether completely off the wall for example or a current hot topic. They were approachable and would engage in a conversation easily unless they were with friends and you didn't fit the groups 'ideal'.

There seemed to be a lot of effort put on maintaining appearance and position whether physical or social that seemed extraneous to me. There were also many levels on which this took place from surgical augmentation, brand name possessions, inclusion and exclusion of people in their inner groups and even to the places they were willing to be seen. The upside to that was they take care of themselves and if involved with you would go out of their way to see that you took care of yourself as well.

Basically what my impression of the general, as opposed to specific California woman was that she refused to settle for the mundane and in some cases even aggressively focus their efforts to be anything but normal. The nice part of that is that you'll seldom have a dull moment.

They seemed to constantly be 'remaking' themselves to fit the current 'image' they wanted to present and never satisfied with being themselves. This has it's ups and downs in that they will keep you on your toes but at the same time you never know what to expect next.

In the end, if you're a Midwestern male and happen to get involved with a California girl, be prepared because it's gonna be a ride!

Best of Luck to All
 sosaysodo
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/9/2007 1:26:22 PM
Hey...as long as any woman doesn't have the valley girl accent. I think some minor cultural differences may be present, but nothing we don't deal with even within our own communities.
 upforadventure
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/10/2007 5:39:24 AM
Avoid talks about political issues at all costs. Smile, nod, and change topics.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Help!, A Questions for Midwest Men???????????