Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > When should you take profile off dating sites??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kind Heart
Msg: 1
When should you take profile off dating sites??Page 1 of 1    
Ok guys. Want your honest answers here. When is it time to take your profile off of the dating sites?? Guy wants to date me exclusively. He has not been on POF for the last 30 days and then he is online today. Now maybe he is not talking to anyone. Maybe he was telling someone that emailed him that he was not interested (which I respect someone who will reply to say that they are not interested instead of saying nothing). We have dated off and on for a year and decided to be exclusive about 2 weeks ago.
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 2
view profile
History
When should you take profile off dating sites??
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:03:30 PM
I say if either or both partner's have friends on the dating site and you don't want to lose them (though if they are my friends, I usually see if they have an non-dating IM or email address), change certain key elements of the profile. Change the relationship Status, What I Am Looking For to Unavailiable or found, etc. And you should allow the other to be able to view that profile, that why things are comfortable for both of you.
 KiteGuy321
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:06:09 PM

We have dated off and on for a year and decided to be exclusive about 2 weeks ago.

You want him to take his profile off? Then maybe you should do the same first.
 Kind Heart
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:08:21 PM
Ok. Why should I do the same FIRST?? I am not trying to debate but to understand.
 Kind Heart
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:10:42 PM
I would be ok with him keeping the profile on if he changed his status to not looking or whatever. He is very outgoing and am sure that he has made several friends here. I dont have a problem with him having female friends, as I have male friends. I did just change my status to not available.
 PANTHER201
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:11:18 PM
I agree with DNR mostly, but if you both were on here strictly to find each other and you found each other then say I've found my someone so I'm going to delete my profile or at least make it known to other fish that this profile is no longer being used as you are in a realationship.
Yes you did change some of your profile! lol But your still on Dating looking for a man... not freindship or chat! haha
 strangebloom
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:19:20 PM
He may still be getting messages from friends. He may chat on the forum. There are many possibilities... I am not planning to quit POF when I meet someone for these above two reasons. Its a great place to chat and meet friends, not just dates.
 Kind Heart
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:28:45 PM
So true. I guess I am not ready to totaly let go yet and maybe that is the problem. Will have to think about that one.
 Kind Heart
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:30:18 PM
I appreciate ALL of you guys and your insight. I think that us ladies should ask you guys questions like these more often. It gives a lot of insight.
 On_The_Edge
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:46:47 PM
maybe be he was checking to see if you were on . if it was me i would have a problem with my bf having friends especially women online i didnt know about. see im kinda funny that way.
 On_The_Edge
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:48:06 PM
its not strictly a guy question.
 Hell Gibson
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/26/2006 9:08:51 PM

You take your profile down when you want. If you are seeing someone exclusively state it on your profile. There are a variety of ways to do so including selecting "not single/not looking".

Ask him why he hasn't changed his profile if you haven't yet.

Keep in mind you still have your profile up too.
 yorn
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/26/2006 9:18:42 PM
Take your profile off, tell him you did and that you suggest he verify it and then move the whole relationship offline. You basically know the answer to the question already, you probably just wanted to verify with other guys so you could show him. I would venture to guess he's just as willing as you are, but hasn't yet to keep an eye on you. If you're both ready, one of you is going to have to make the move first. I'd suggest you do so and then let him know you're done now.
 Kind Heart
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/27/2006 6:02:38 PM
No. I asked this question to the gals also.
 Kind Heart
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/27/2006 6:04:20 PM
This is very good advice. Thanks for your input.
 nosoup4u
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/27/2006 6:06:48 PM
It's hard not to be jealous when we have feelings for someone. I have made many friends on POF and single or not, being here is not going to change my mind about being a member. Just talk to him about your concerns. Remember, innocent until proven guilty.
Posted: 12/27/2006 7:40:34 PM
In a relationship built on respect and trust there is no need to delete it. There are many people on here for the conversation. One thing I typically see that I respect is a big all caps disclaimer "Taken, here for the forums" or something like that.
 stargategirl
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/27/2006 11:45:10 PM
There's no reason why he should take it off especially if he made alot of friends here.
As long as he has some sort of disclaimer such as "taken" just here for friends and so forth.
I think if he was listed as still available i would have concerns if we are exclusive. Ultimately though, it doesnt matter whether or not he has a profile. A man or woman bent on being deceitful will be whether they are online or not. So it comes down to TRUST.
 kilerteddybear
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/27/2006 11:50:25 PM
well my opnion for what it is worth he should be able to log on. If he is serious about you and the relationship his profile should have change to not single/not looking and looking for friends or hang out
 Bound for Camelot
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/28/2006 11:38:22 AM
Depends on what the two of you have discussed as far as "comfort level" with having friends of the opposite sex. Even if they are online.

I think you can continue to be on POF if you are clear with each other and of course truthfull in your profile as to why you are here.

Keep communication open, be considerate and respectful of your partners feelings, and of course don't do anything you feel you have to lie about.
 Doouglass
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/28/2006 12:41:59 PM
Get a grip. I know of, and have seen couples on this site. No big deal. If you're that concerned you could always do a test run =P
 niceguy99a
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/28/2006 2:28:41 PM

There's no reason why he should take it off especially if he made alot of friends here.
As long as he has some sort of disclaimer such as "taken" just here for friends and so forth.
I think if he was listed as still available i would have concerns if we are exclusive. Ultimately though, it doesnt matter whether or not he has a profile. A man or woman bent on being deceitful will be whether they are online or not. So it comes down to TRUST.

I agree. Once you are exclusive then change your profile to say "Not Single/Not Looking" which is a field at the top part of your profile " and switch you relationship type you are seeking to either "Email/Chat" or "Friends"

You need a profile if you want to post on the forums or want to use the POF email system to email friends.

POF is not only a "dating" site but also a site to make new friends.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > When should you take profile off dating sites??