Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tigress
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I can't help it. I am just totally attracted to men with beautiful hair. And yet, I see over and over again, that society, as a whole, discriminates against them because of it and it makes it hard for them to get ahead.

There are only a few professions that accept it wholeheartedly; Musician, Actor, Wrestler, Dancer, Model, ...Hmmm, I know there are more, but I can't think of any right now!

In the town where I live, a man can not even get a job as a stock boy at the grocery store without hiding his hair under his hat. And yet, the women are working there with long hair just hanging down. I know somebody that was told he couldn't even get a job at a convenience store without cutting his hair. Again, long haired women working there.

A lot of people take one look at a long haired man and assume he is either, on drugs, lazy, into illegal activities, no good, etc.

I just don't think this is fair and wonder why so many people are so closed minded about it.

Opinions???
 RedneckHippy
Msg: 2
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?
Posted: 12/30/2006 10:49:41 AM
A lot of people take one look at a long haired man and assume he is either, on drugs, lazy, into illegal activities, no good, etc.

And I laugh my ass off everytime a "socially acceptable" person,
gets busted for dope, and/or some type of crimes against nature or sumthin'.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 10:58:19 AM
It definitely is discrimination, but until someone stands up and fight it, likely it will continue. Only legit reason I could think of if it were unsafe, or unhealthy. People who work around food aren't supposed to have their hair loose and hanging if it's longer, whether women or men. It's up to management and owners to enforce the rules.
If someone were to be fired or denied a job because of hair length, and it wasn't either a publilshed policy or a written law, they could have cause to persue a civil case.
The real discrimination is in people judging a man that has long hair. This is a hangover from the 60's and hippies, really seems society should have evolved a bit more since then. Of course then you still have the opposite which is just as wrong of thinking a woman with short hair is either a lesbian or somehow "manly". It's all narrowminded rubbish.
 loversnapper
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 10:59:22 AM
No. A man should not be discriminated against because he has long hair. If he has his hair under control and is clean and presentable - then all systems go.
 designingwoman
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:32:50 AM
I agree with bucsgirl 100%. It is ridiculous to discriminate against a man with long hair. Hey, I like Laurence Maroney on the Patriots team--and guess what? He has long hair! As long (no pun intended) a man can get the job done and keeps his hair neat and clean, who cares?

Likewise it's silly to consider a short haired woman to be a lesbian. I know many straight women who wear their hair short and dress preppie. It's common here in New England.

On a goofy side note, I remember the T shirts that used to say, "If you want to save an alligator, shoot a preppie!!"
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:49:47 AM
^^^True designingwoman. I live here as well, and it is quite common. Never really thought about it until you said something tho. Hmm. Anywho...

It's a total stereotype and it's pretty common. Yeah, it does aggravate me - don't know many longhaired men who aren't clean, attractive, hard working, genuinely good and responsible people, yet most of society seems to think they are the total opposite.

I notice subtle things like in restaurants they get seated out of the way of the customers, in stores they get watched and followed like theives or feared like they are planning to crack a safe or something. It's not good. Of course longhairs are given a hard time in white collar or office jobs, but most of my ex boyfriends were in fields where it was ok to have long hair (engineering, union, music, etc) so they didn't deal with it as much. And of course I love the thing where a guy hits on me and a boyfriend and then makes a comment about not knowing the difference. That's always hysterical.

It's like saying all bald men are skinheads. It's silly and kind of makes no sense, but people do it.

I would also say it's one of many stereotypes (sexual orientation, cultural, etc) that run rampant and are totally not going to change anytime soon.
 ASB
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:54:25 AM
They shouldn't be discriminated. My boyfriend has dreads to his butt and I love them. He's a decent person and a hard worker. He's a chef. And I wonder what would happen on a job interview. He knows his work well, and it would be a shame if someone didn't want to hire him for his hair. It's ridiculous. He's a way better person than a lot of clean cut men I know too. It's just sad that anyone gets discriminated for their looks.
 judypatudy
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/30/2006 12:13:22 PM
I love men with long hair..
I love men with no hair..
Hair does not make a person who he is..
That is what's in his heart..
We can not judge people for their looks..
It is not our place to judge anyway..
Only 1 has that right..
 t-gurl
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/30/2006 12:25:49 PM

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"
Whoa-oh-oh

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

*5 Man Electrical Band*

After all this time and apparently not much has changed
 RedneckHippy
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/30/2006 1:28:57 PM
Bunch o' damn hippies.
Next thing ya know, there'll be fina arts, literature, and music.

On topic:
Discrimination blows regardless of the reason.
 nause
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/30/2006 2:38:26 PM
I've had long hair for about 20 years and it's been probably 15 years since I thought I might be the subject of discrimination. The only times I remember it being an issue at work was when I was working around dangerous equipment. Outside of work, it's a non-issue.

It can also work for you, TBH. I always like the way match.com had Long Hair under Turn Offs. Throws up a "she's probably a bit superficial" flag.
 Sasquatch2
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:48:26 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with the area's society.

A lot of places I've been, people are not concerned at all.

Of course, I also been in some prejudiced ares as well.

I have my own business, so I don't have to worry about employers,
and my clients are either long-term or highly refered.

If they want my services, my hair is not an issue.

I don't think anyone should be discriminated against for their appearence.

As strangers we can never know of some-one else's circumstance.
 nause
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/30/2006 9:12:00 PM
Yeah, I guess that's a good point for me as well. I haven't done a job interview without a reasonably well established skillset in a long time. I've also been self-employed most of my adult life.

Outside of business gaiin, I live in a small mountain town west of Denver and I've only seen one mention of discrimination regarding long hair. It was on a local community forum and the women quickly jumped in saying they love long hair. So it lasted a few days max.
 Shangrilah
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/30/2006 9:25:32 PM
We're supposed to be equal, and yet, it's still not okay, in some professions, for men to wear their hair long

I've seen construction workers and truck drivers with long hair, so it must be acceptable in those professions
 nause
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/30/2006 9:36:50 PM
I've met one person who built terminals for air traffic controllers that has long hair. He was the mountain climber on an Oracle (or Cisco?) commercial in roughly 2000. He lived off the grid in the old hippy community, Nederland CO.
 Myndenway
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/30/2006 10:07:45 PM
My grandmother ran a rooming house for miners up north. She had a very stern policy. No women visitors, no long hair. If the guy had hair down to his neck, it had to go, or he went. She would say, "Are you a girl?" LOL. And this was in the '60s and '70s!

But she ran the most popular rooming house in town. Though she ran the tightest ship, she had the best cooking and the men loved her and the homey atmosphere of her establishment. Long after they left, they would keep in touch with her. She was like a mother to those guys. And like any good mother, she made sure her boys kept their hair neat and trim.
 astronomyphily
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 10:22:14 PM
I totally agree with you..For some reason it's acceptable for women to have thier long hair and if a man happens to, peoples opinion of you changes based just on that.

I know becasue I have only had my hair this long for around a year now and do get treated differently to how I used to.

Its certainly not very nice, especially when it comes to work and you see women there with long hair. and as a man you just can't ?

I have long hair and as you can see I'm not lazy, never smoked or taken anything in my life and have a lot more than most people my age in my area going for me. And yet, people will just judge you immediately oin the hair thing, your right.

Happy New Year everybody anyway!

Phillip
 Tigress
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2006 9:24:07 AM

Of course longhairs are given a hard time in white collar or office jobs, but most of my ex boyfriends were in fields where it was ok to have long hair (engineering, union, music, etc) so they didn't deal with it as much.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about; Why should men with longer hair be given a hard time when applying for white collar or office jobs? It's just not right!

I'll bet that if a high powered executive began to grow his hair out, eyebrows would raise, and people would start to take him less seriously. He may even lose his job.

Like some have mentioned, I think hair should only be an issue if there are sanitary reasons, such as working around food or if there is risk of injury, such as hair getting caught in machinery. Even then, a person should be allowed to pull it back or up. Samurai do, perhaps! LOL!

I was a waitress once, and our hair just had to be above our collar, didn't matter how we got it above our collar. I wore mine in a high ponytail!

Basically, I don't think a man should be asked to cut his hair in ANY position where women are allowed to have long hair. It's just not fair!
 Byrd
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2006 3:28:58 PM
I'd like to see these people to tell jesus to cut his hair.....Mine is down my back now long and white I look like old fat man time...I get sh t for it all the time and I play the part to piss people off..My landlord evicted me once because of my long hair of course I told him to fu k off too that didn't help but we became pals again after I shaved my head. That was in 2002 I haven't cut it since... It's starting to get to me though When I'm stoned and I got the munchies I have a tendency to stuff the food in my pie hole to fast taking my hair with it..It's a real bi ch coughing up hair balls those cats really go through some sh t..
 astronomyphily
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2006 7:10:32 PM
"I'd like to see these people to tell jesus to cut his hair"

By any chance you referring to me mate?

I just don't believe your landlord evicted you because of yout long hair? You mean thats what it actually said on the court order?
 stubobb
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/31/2006 7:21:57 PM
All you long-haired commie pinko's are just gettin' what's comin' to ya fer being dif'runt.
Ifn you wanna fit in, cut yer hair! No good can come from scarin' the locals!

Oh yeah, happy new year!
 chinua
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/31/2006 7:54:12 PM
Astro-I'm pretty sure Byrd was referring to the real Jesus
I think men pretty much kept their hair longer (than crew cut) until the late 19th century......... the prejudice against long haired men started with the 2 World Wars; then continuing with Korea, and Viet Nam- if you had long hair you obviously weren't in the military; which to some people meant; you weren't patriotic!! Its too bad that hasn't relaxed; because some men really suit long hair.
There was a native guy on my speed skating team that had long hair- to his butt- and the girls always wanted to braid it!!
 Byrd
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2007 12:39:00 PM
I was in the military 3 times alittle too much for those short hairs No that's not what it said on the eviction notice I had also told him off so it probley said something about that...Or maybe when I told him "You voted for that loser.."Refering to GWB whom he happens to know his father, old school friends..I think their prejudice told long hairs stems from his sons experience back in 1969 as a Santa Barbara County Sheriffs Depuity during The Isla Vista riots the hippies protesting the Vietnam war..They had some bad experience my landlord kind asks me now if I plan on cutting it I probley will next Summer when it gets hot and the black widows move into my hair because it's pure white and resembles a wad of silk..Spiders love my hair...I don't know maybe I'll never cut it maybe it will kill me before then choking to death on a hair ball then they could make a wax figure of my twisted expression and stick me in some Ripleys believe it or not museum.."25 foot hairball found in mans throat!" "Hippie chokes to death on his long locks.." No Astro you don't resemble jesus, maybe a younger James Taylor.
 chinua
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/1/2007 1:20:29 PM
Astro; you are one of the ones that suits long hair; don't you dare let anybody talk you into cutting it!
 Hell Gibson
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/1/2007 2:43:59 PM
I caught a lot of hell for it when I was a teenager from parents, teachers, cops, and certain "clicks". It's not a problem for me today. People seem more accepting of it these days. Might be due to my age however. Any job that requires one to cut their hair isn't a job I would probably want to waste my life doing, so that aspect is of no consequence to me.

Many people seem to be less phony around long haired guys. They feel it's ok to cuss, talk about "Earthy" topics without hearing gasp etc. Something I've noticed over the years.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?