Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Best small towns in USA      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rocky23
Msg: 1
Best small towns in USAPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Wich ones is the best small towns in the usa? Nice and kozy towns wich has its own charm? Please help me out here :)
 marshal1964
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/2/2007 11:52:27 AM
Godfrey, Illinois near St.Louis. Tulsa, Oklahoma is also a neat town too. Even the attendants at the toll booths on the Turnpike are friendly.
 Southendsweet
Msg: 3
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/2/2007 2:51:51 PM
During a trip from New Hampshire to Texas I stopped in a little town called Hagerstown MD. Never in my life have I met so many genuinely sweet people. I've traveled this country from Alaska to the Keys and outside this country from Africa to Asia and I've met some wonderful folks but this town was simply amazing.
 javalover_52
Msg: 4
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/2/2007 5:17:50 PM
Hot Springs, NC and Monticello, GA
 lost John
Msg: 5
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/2/2007 7:56:45 PM
In Ohio:

Gnadenhutten is located in south central Tuscarawas County with a population of approximately 1,300. It lies in the valley partly surrounded by hills with the Tuscarawas River flowing along the southwest border. The two principal streets, Walnut and Main, intersect in the downtown area.

My grandparents lived here many years ago, and it is quite cozy and charming.

I grew up in Massillon, Ohio, and I think it is a great little city too. It is bigger than Gnadenhutten--it has about 30,000 people, but has a real, living downtown.(many US cities lost their central core when malls started to be built) There are concerts and events downtown all summer.
 carbizmgr
Msg: 6
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/3/2007 8:08:13 PM
Scranton PA...great people, and a really great train museum..oh, and some kind of chinese sounding beer that I couldn't get anywhere else. Very friendly, even the cops for us out of towners. have a good trip
 Agapantha
Msg: 7
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/4/2007 11:23:27 AM
i love lewiston, NY. it is so typical Americana small town, it is so quaint. I often go over the border there. has the best bakery around and i'll pick up one fo their home-made apple streudal pies. I enjoy the look of it and it is so handy to get to for me.

I really liked New Castle, Delaware too although it might be a bit too big to be classed as a small town, but i enjoy walking through the historical district when i visit my friend.

i enjoy small town America. I don't like the cities and try and stay out of the big cities when possible.
 annamolly
Msg: 8
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/4/2007 11:57:35 AM
chico california. perfect climate, beautiful river running through it, close to scaramento, not too over populated but not too rural either
 lost John
Msg: 9
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/4/2007 3:14:32 PM
I forgot to mention Navarre, Ohio. It is home to Nickel's Bakery.(common brand in Ohio) They still make bread and pastries there. When they do, the whole town smells wonderful. There are lots of tree-lined streets with nice old houses, and a historic central square. (a triangle, actually)
 KawikaFiola
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/4/2007 5:47:36 PM

chico california

chico is good but paradise is better and its right outside of chico. i think only 8 miles
 Paddy O Furniture
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/4/2007 7:54:31 PM
Sonora, California.

Nestled up the California Gold Country. Great year long weather. Close to summer water spots and winter snow spots and just a fun place to be.

Even though it's population is around 5, 000 or so, its the hub of the county and the whole rural region, so it always seems to be much more populated
 freebird22
Msg: 12
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/5/2007 7:02:48 AM
Chico, California - better yet Paradise, California... Paradise is up the mountain from Chico, or so I remember growing up there before being re-rooted to Red Neck City, Texas. LOL. Paradise is where granola comes from... At least originally in the '60's.

Gotta love Northern California.
 capehorner
Msg: 13
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/5/2007 11:08:15 PM
stevensville, montana...parades every first friday of the month, small atmosphere, plenty to do, wonderful areas nearby and don't forget the "full moon saloon"
 carbizmgr
Msg: 14
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/6/2007 1:22:55 PM
Well...well.."Pecks Bad Boy"....another fan of George M. Cohan, or is it James Cagney?....not many people follow this black and white masterpiece...never been to Stevensville..but Bozman, with the Bridger Mountains and Yellowstone down the road...that's a nice place too!. "my mother thanks you, my father thanks you,...."
 Prairiephotos
Msg: 15
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/6/2007 7:26:16 PM
Espanola, New Mexico is a great little town.
 ethereal2004
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/7/2007 11:12:05 AM
I guess you have to live out of state to appreciate the "subtle" beauty of Chico and its neighbors. *S*

If I was picking Northern California towns, I wouldn't include them. Lots of more interesting places. Sonora was a good choice. Also Mendocino, Eureka, or Angels Camp would qualify.
 kassie99
Msg: 17
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/7/2007 12:17:01 PM
I love Cape Girardeau in Missouri. Stayed there last year and am going again this year. It is a charming old town on the Mississipi river with plenty to do and see.
 charles_incharge
Msg: 18
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/7/2007 1:33:06 PM
portland maine

smart ,real ,people.
fun, live entertainment, great seaport and food. nice people too busy looking at you shivering and wanting you to be by the fire than to notice you are different.
 EpisodeIV
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 1/11/2007 3:49:36 AM
I'm not saying!

My area has already been listed once or more as a great place and now with the influx it is already deteriorating. I've even been thinking of looking for another "secret" best small town myself as the character of where I live has changed so much.

Where I grew up in N.C. was pretty good too. But so many retirees from up north and Fla. have moved into it that it is hardly anything like what it used to be. The price of "progress" is too often too high!

Ironic too is that many people flock to these small town places looking for the "good ole days" then almost immediately start changing it to be more like the place they were in such a hurry to escape from. Before you know it not only have they changed it into a place they want to run from again but they've ruined it for those who were there first and enjoyed it like the intruders never will.
 Opposingdesires
Msg: 20
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 3/16/2007 10:48:20 PM
Big, wide Wyoming!
Mountains and valleys. Try Sheridan, WY at the western foot of the Big Horn Moutains just seven miles from Montana. Nestled in a valley with two converging moutain fed streams, old time downtown acitecture, lots of art and clean as can be. Not many people, 14K. Lived here for a year and a half. Winter is cold but not too bad. Spring, Summer and Fall are great. Dry climate, no bugs and lots of wildlife, prairy dogs too. Like stepping back in time.
 1louiscyfer
Msg: 21
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 3/16/2007 11:08:08 PM

chico california. perfect climate, beautiful river running through it, close to scaramento, not too over populated but not too rural either

Or maybe because CSUC was named partyingist school in America so many times by Playboy....lol
I know, I went to Davis and spent many a long weekend in Chico...
 Leana76
Msg: 22
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 3/17/2007 2:16:57 PM
1. Beaumont, Texas

2. Fayetteville, N. Carolina

3. Myrtle Beach, S. Carolina

4. Bakersfield, California

5. Las Cruces, New Mexico

6. Alexandria, Louisiana
 just_Kats
Msg: 23
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 3/18/2007 9:03:42 AM
Nyack, NY.. the ride through this beautiful town with cozy, little streets, antique shops and victorian houses, and ending up at Nyack Pier to enjoy the view of the Tappan Zee bridge is one of the best momeries of my trip to NY... :)
 sombient
Msg: 24
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 3/18/2007 9:16:57 AM
Montana, Missoula- this is a town in the great Western frontier tradition, but with a nice bit of culture thanks to the University and a thriving historical district. Its ideal, with very nice downtown shops, restaurants and civic doings year round. Its close to lakes, forests and mountains, prairie and rolling pasturelands - an outdoor paradise. Its similar to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in many respectes - its got many similar historical and cultural features and both are close to main Interstates, giving travel access as well. These are nice sized towns - large enough to have many amenities of larger towns, small enough that there isn't really any rush hour traffic. Real estate is still very reasonable in both towns.
 Eric-s Smokin Hottie
Msg: 25
Best small towns in USA
Posted: 3/18/2007 12:15:06 PM
I haven't traveled too extensively in the States, but my favourite places are Rapid City, South Dakota; Casper and Cody, Wyoming; Great Falls and Missoula, Montana.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Best small towns in USA