Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF MAIL: Can I delete or change a message I already sent to someone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 niceguynath
Msg: 1
POF MAIL: Can I delete or change a message I already sent to someonePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
hey how do i change or delete a mess age i allready sent to someone that i am not happy with.
 bengal013
Msg: 2
FAQ - Can I delete or change a message I already sent to someone
Posted: 4/1/2007 3:33:18 PM
May I suggest that this be something that can be worked on very soon as I can see it being a very important issue to many including myself.
 bengal013
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/1/2007 5:08:30 PM
I believe I do know what you are speaking of and thanks for your quick reply.
 bengal013
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/1/2007 5:13:22 PM
One last question, can we delete our forum posts? I do know someone else has asked, however, I don't quite understand from what was said.

Much appreciated.
 SmileyGirl441
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/1/2007 5:15:22 PM
Hey Trapped,
Just as an fyi...
Microsoft Outlook allows you to recall a message. If you catch it quickly enough, you can catch it before the receiver opens it.
You are notified if the message recall was 'successful' or 'failed'.
If it failed, well then, the damage is done!
Cheers!!

ahh thank you, just switched over to it last week, will have to see if the option has been made available - Trappedonbayst
 the_humormonger
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2007 7:14:22 PM
no, bengal, you can NOT delete forum posts.

see: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts4494472.aspx

fyi - your question is one of the FAQ, conveniently highlighted in red on the pof site suggestion forum. why not go and check the faq, now. especially the thread called "how to do a thread search..."

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts3752061.aspx
 bengal013
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/1/2007 8:07:44 PM
Thanks for your help the humormonger!!
 yayawhatever
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2007 3:45:44 AM
I have seen how the recall works in MS Outlook and it is not reliable, the message can be recalled, but that doesn't mean the person has not already read it. I have read email and then watched it disappear as it was recalled, with a recall notice appearing in its place. The person you sent the email to knows you have recalled it. A recall failure usually means the person has read the message and already deleted it.

I know people forget the gravity of what they are saying sometimes when it is so easy to click and send online, but if you sent a letter through the mail, you couldn't ask the post office to return it.. as it is now the property of the sendee.

Pause.. think.. reread.. then press send or post. We are all adults aren't we? Should we expect Admin to be accountable for our errors in judgement? I think not!
 seduce_my_mind
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/2/2007 10:10:48 AM
Yes in Lava life you can do this ! It doesn't mean that your message is sent that you can't change your mind or add anything to it ,since it wasn't opened yet .You can go to your"sent " messages and u can change what you wish ,or even delete it or resend it again .I find this method very interesting ....
 Massage_girl
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:45:28 AM
AIM mail lets you retract e-mails if you do it right when you send them. Or at least before the person opens them.
 Massage_girl
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:50:23 AM
Deleting sent e-mails before the other person sees them could work in this system because you can see if they read them or not. The system could be set up that you can retract it as long as it hasn't already been read. Or it could possibly be replaced by a new e-mail instead of being totally retracted.
 bare2112
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/20/2007 5:32:04 PM
i screwed up !!
sent a message to someone who was intimated encounter....didnt read their category and now i cant email others with'must not have contacted others for intimate relationship'
anyway of changing that??

again i screwed up

barry

xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

DO NOT POST YOUR CONTACT INFO please.

FAQ
Forum Posting Guidelines **Read this BEFORE posting**
Terms of Service/User Agreement

SherTenn
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2007 7:05:32 AM
a) can I delete an unread message.. ? It appears I can..

b) if I delete the unread msg from my 'sent msg' area.. can the person I sent it to still read it..?

Thanks,

Jim
 -oo-
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/25/2007 7:22:42 AM
Yes they can, once it's sent, it's sent.
 divechik
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/8/2008 1:46:00 PM
On AOL you can delete(unsend) an email before the person reads it.
 Stonewolf_II
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/8/2008 2:05:12 PM
Be that as it may, it doesn't work here since this is not AOL, but Plentyoffish. It is like trying to unfire a bullet.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/8/2008 4:13:36 PM
On AOL you can delete(unsend) an email before the person reads it.

Unlike like many Web-based Mail Systems, POF does not retain E-Mail on its Webserver. It goes directly from User to User. Nothing can be taken back, because Mails are not kept anywhere until someone decides to download it to their E-Mail Client. A very simple System.
 yogachick66
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/26/2008 8:58:16 AM
I am quite dismayed because I somehow mistakenly attached a rose to an email to someone I just met and I felt a 'rose' at that point in communication was utterly presumptuous and ridiculous. In fact, I think the whole rose/gift thing is patently silly.
Even if there isn't a way to change the actual body of the message, there should be a built in way to delete these stupid 'roses' and 'gifts' that are a part of this site, because of they way it is set up, it is easy to make a mistake and include one of these items. If the message is not read yet, perhaps there could be a 'remove gift/rose' in our sent messages folder. Not sure as I am not a tecchie type but it sure would have saved myself and my new friend a lot of embarrassment.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/26/2008 5:58:14 PM
In fact, I think the whole rose/gift thing is patently silly.

That's why sending them is optional.

Even if there isn't a way to change the actual body of the message, there should be a built in way to delete these stupid 'roses' and 'gifts'

Anything sent within an E-Mail, be it Text, Gifts, Roses or Images cannot be "Un-Sent"

it is easy to make a mistake and include one of these items.

Not anymore common than anything else you enter into your E-Mail. Its never happened to me since this Feature's Inception, and I fire off more than 50 Messages daily. If you click on Things accidentally from Time to Time, then make a Policy of carefully reviewing Each Message before mailing it out.

If the message is not read yet, perhaps there could be a 'remove gift/rose' in our sent messages folder.

As the Posts on this Thread indicate, there is no Mail kept on the Server, but goes directly to the Recipients Inbox. Its possible to effect Deletions subsequent to the Arrival of Mail as can be witnessed when E-Mail Blocking someone, but that only affects the Sent Msg/Outbox. But it would be up to the Admin to implement such a Thing, although I suspect there would be technical Difficulties with that as its tied in with E-Mail Notifications, First Contact Mail Setting Restrictions and a Host of other Features which may not function properly afterwards.

Not sure as I am not a tecchie type but it sure would have saved myself and my new friend a lot of embarrassment.

Simply inform that User that the Rose was sent in Error.
 blondb2
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/27/2008 11:25:22 PM
Hey, be glad POF can keep this as a free site for us. I think its great what they have done!
 TxcynLady
Msg: 21
view profile
History
POF MAIL:
Posted: 6/8/2011 1:05:28 PM
Can I delete or change a message I already sent to someone before they read it?

Message #2 of this thread - first response to the same question answers your question.

No. you cannot.

Irish Eyez
Msg: 22
view profile
History
POF MAIL:
Posted: 6/8/2011 1:46:34 PM

Can I delete or change a message I already sent to someone before they read it?

No... you cannot.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 23
POF MAIL:
Posted: 1/9/2013 1:34:47 PM
Whoever said that you cannot delete a forum post is incorrect, but I recognize this thread started long ago. I can and have deleted some of my own. I don't know if there's a time limit within which you have to do it, though. I know there's a time limit on editing your post before it becomes permanent.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 24
view profile
History
POF MAIL:
Posted: 1/9/2013 1:39:30 PM
^^^Dude, the question was about POF email...not forum posts.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 25
POF MAIL:
Posted: 1/9/2013 2:01:05 PM
One last question, can we delete our forum posts? I do know someone else has asked, however, I don't quite understand from what was said.

Much appreciated.

Yes, I know what the thread topic is, but someone posted the above and it was answered by someone else. Please see Msg 6 and Msg 8.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > POF MAIL: Can I delete or change a message I already sent to someone