Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > tennis- equal prize money for mens and womens      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 millwrightpaul
Msg: 1
tennis- equal prize money for mens and womensPage 1 of 1    
with the austrailian open upon us, again starts the debate as to whether the womens side should receive equal prize money as the mens side.

the arguments are being made that the revenue from the womens matches is now equaling that of the mens matches, so they deserve equal compensation.

but the women only play a best of 3 match while the men play a best of 5, so if they want the same money they should play the same amount of sets.

what does everyone think?
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 2
view profile
History
tennis- equal prize money for mens and womens
Posted: 1/22/2007 7:13:20 PM
I think they deserve equal compensation. Tennis is one of the very few sports in which women seem to negate a similar amount of attention as men. The womens' game has been on an upswing for the last little while and I don't see that stopping in the foreseeable future. A lot of that has to do with the popularity of certain players (Williams sisters, Sharapova, Mauresmo, et al.) and the fine marketing that the WTA has crafted, I think.

So what if the women play less sets. Men are physically stronger.
 tballin
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/24/2007 5:19:34 PM
women play less sets because the rallies are way longer. Most mens rallies are super short. I have no issues with women making the same here,
 JugglingReferee
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/24/2007 6:08:12 PM
It's tennis. Who cares?
 tballin
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/24/2007 8:59:17 PM
what kind of person reads a thread about tennis who doesnt like tennis?

we have words for people like you....
 JugglingReferee
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/25/2007 6:52:43 AM
That's nice. Your opinion and a quarter will get you a phone call. Who are these "we" that think they have any actual effect on my life?
 itsme75
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2007 7:16:37 AM
hey dudes, lighten up this a forum where people can express there opinions, and others may debate them, not bash them
 hydrogen
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/25/2007 9:03:45 AM
IF the revenue (ticket sale and broadcast right) from both sides are equal, then woman and man should get equal prize money. I think it's the case in the Australian Open now. Why is there any debate?

Personally, I like watch men's tennis much better, especially in the court. It's far more exciting. I'm awed by their athletic ability and think to myself "how the heck can he do that?!". While the woman's match is like high school and I make comment like "Why do I pay $60 to see this?"
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2007 2:15:41 PM

While the woman's match is like high school and I make comment like "Why do I pay $60 to see this?"

Guess you haven't watched women's tennis in about...hmmmmmmmmmm... say 20 years or so.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing "high school" about women's tennis today.
 brivan
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2007 3:40:24 PM
woooee a tennis topic! :)
i have no problem with equal pay......
things are really never based on amount of time spent on the court...if it was then the people who were paid the most would be the clay courters who have 4 hour matches all the time.......lots of the women get more endorsements so they are doing something right...pay them all the same........
wooooo......loved federer kicking on roddick's butt.......
brian
 John80212
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/25/2007 5:10:45 PM
If we are going to take the equality position to it's logical conclusion, why don't they just compete against one another?
Tennis is one of the few professional sports where men and women compete with identical tools- same tennis balls, same height net, same size court, same service area, same access to rackets....and it's non-contact.
Play 3 sets or 5, who cares. The best players win and are paid accordingly.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2007 5:35:15 PM
I'm trying hard to think of a professional sport that treats both genders differently (in the items that you describe), and all I can come up with is golf (women tee off a little closer?). Other than that, what are the other ones? Hockey? No. Basketball? No. Soccer? No.

So what are they?
 itsmeinco
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2007 10:25:14 PM
The players should be compensated in proportion to the revenue base that the promoters receive.

If the women's matches are bringing in as much revenue for the promoters as the men and are not making as much as the men, then yes, they are being shafted.
 hydrogen
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/26/2007 7:52:59 AM
The OP is misinformed. In the Australian Open, women and men are paied equally.

There is NO debate at all.
 hydrogen
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/26/2007 8:02:36 AM
"Guess you haven't watched women's tennis in about...hmmmmmmmmmm... say 20 years or so.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing "high school" about women's tennis today.'

I watched women Rogers Cup Tennis in 2003. That's about 4 years ago.

In reality, a good colleage male player can beat professional woman's number 1 easily. For me, I'd rather watch free colleage match than paying $60-$100 to watch same level of play.

In terms of prize money, tennis is entertainment business. It's about revenue and profit. In the slams, woman matches pull in the same amount of revenue, so they get same pay. There isn't much debate at all.

Let's look another business: born, in which women are paid 10 times or more than men. You don't see men crying unfair. It's not discrimination, it's all about money.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2007 3:12:58 PM

The OP is misinformed. In the Australian Open, women and men are paied equally.

There is NO debate at all.

I must correct you as the OP is NOT misinformed. There's noting in his original post that solely makes mention of the Aussie Open. There is one Grand Slam event that does not pay each gender equally, so, in fact, there IS a debate.

The All England Club said Tuesday the men's champion will receive $1.170 million and the women's winner $1.117 million -- a 4 percent increase for both in British currency. Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam tournament with unequal prizes for the two champions.

This is Sharapova's response:

"Women's tennis players are getting as many sponsors and media coverage as the men," Sharapova said. "I understand that our TV ratings at the Grand Slams are pretty much equal to and often better than the men. So I don't understand the rationale for paying the men more than us."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2420833
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2007 3:29:12 PM
I watched women Rogers Cup Tennis in 2003. That's about 4 years ago.

In reality, a good colleage male player can beat professional woman's number 1 easily. For me, I'd rather watch free colleage match than paying $60-$100 to watch same level of play.

In terms of prize money, tennis is entertainment business. It's about revenue and profit. In the slams, woman matches pull in the same amount of revenue, so they get same pay. There isn't much debate at all.

Let's look another business: born, in which women are paid 10 times or more than men. You don't see men crying unfair. It's not discrimination, it's all about money.

Hmmmmm... where do I start with this one.

Let's tackle the college pro thing. A few years back, the Williams sisters took on some much lower ranked men on the ATP tour. Yes, they trashed talked and were confident that they would win. But they didn't. As good as they are, they do not possess the natural strength and power that men naturally have. It was dumb of them to even think they had a shot.

Having said that, why would a women's match be less interesting than a men's match? Woman vs. woman is competitive on paper, no? Why would a women's 1 vs 2 be boring compared than a men's 1 vs 2? I don't understand the logic that you put forth. In fact, some would argue that the woman's game is more interesting because:
a) rallies are longer.
b) serves are less powerful, therefore less boring "ace" games.
c) the women in today's era are fit, competitive and powerful.

Now let's move onto the Roger's Cup. Now it is your opinion that women tennis is boring. That's fine as you're entitled to that. But don't go on thinking that it's the norm. In fact, let me quote the Roger's Cup attendence of last year, from their website:

World attendance record

August 18, 2006 - In spite of the absence of some of the best players in the world, the Rogers Cup has set another world attendance record for a one-week tournament.

The turnstiles of the Uniprix Stadium in Montreal have admitted a total of 173 484 spectators. The past record was 172 686 established last year at the Rogers Cup. There are still a few tickets available for Saturday afternoon.

Wow. A world record for a woman's tourney that did not have many top players. Amazing.
 johnnynoname
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/27/2007 2:23:50 AM
yea, i do like how the girls like to complain about not getting equal money but are silent on playing the same amount of sets. it seems many women like the benefits of equality as well as the perks of being treated like a "lady." i say you can't have both. pay them the same. also, make them play the same amount of sets. that is only fair. and good lord, i can't even stand to watch the incredibly overated sharapova. her grunts are absolutely ridiculous. i would hate to be the guy in the room next to her on her wedding night.
 loversnapper
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2007 7:01:12 AM
A) Women are more than willing to play five sets like the men. It doesn't happen because it would be a logistics nightmare at the grand slams - they'd have difficulty getting all the matches completed in the two weeks.

B) Women deserve to make the same prize money as the men.

C) Women's tennis is superb to watch. In fact, I generally prefer it to the mens game which is just boom-boom-boom. Point over!
 ebit36
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/27/2007 7:06:43 AM
I like watching women`s tennis. With Serena being back in the mix it should be another
good year. If they are generating the same revenue as the men they should get equal pay.
 millwrightpaul
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/28/2007 5:08:32 PM
i am not misinformed as to the payment in tennis. i realize that 3 out of 4 grandslams pay equal monies, however this is not true for wimbleton nor is it true for most tier 1 events.

i prefer womens tennis to mens simply because i think there is much more strategy involved in womens tennis.

my solution to the logistics problem of equal play would be this. men and women the same...best of three sets until the quarter finals, then best of five.

any feedback?
 loversnapper
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2007 5:17:45 PM
I could live with those rules! I'll go tell the ATP and WTA about the new rule changes!!
 brivan
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2007 12:40:20 PM
most events are best of three and only very few are best of five for the whole tournament......i even think they are going to try to make more events best of three...the problem is that even now with better quality women draws.....men's tennis gets a higher rating...pay 'em all the same....it isn't really based on time on court....it really is only the players at the lower end of the scale who need more money...all the top players are earning way too much already anyway.......the men/women at the lower end are the ones who need help to stay on tour.........
 Crane Man
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/31/2007 11:32:46 AM
If the Women are drawing in the same revenue as the men, then sure equal prize money. But I really notice up here is that an event is set and then the big names withdraw once people have bought the tickets. Prize money should be reduced if the athletes are going to do this. Happens with pro Golf here too! Canada as beautiful sports venues so i don't understand why some athletes won't come here.
 CChauncey
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:05:54 PM
How long the matches are isn't a relevant factor. If a man wins in the first round in straight sets, he doesn't make any less than a guy who wins in a 5th set tie-breaker. It's widely known that top players receive appearance guarantees. It's rumored Fed, for example, was getting over a million just to show up in Dubai's tournament.

A few years ago, when Venus and Serena were the highest rated draw in tennis, I thought women deserved equal prize money. They were drawing bigger TV numbers, etc. It's simply a matter of how much revenue the women players generate for a tournament, and at the moment, I seriously doubt they can provide any objective numbers to justify equal pay. Not any more. Right now, there are about 7 or 8 tournaments that have women and men playing at the same time, but on its own, the WTA tour sells less tickets, gets less TV coverage, and offer less prize money than their ATP counterparts. You take the Grand Slams, Indian Wells, and Sony Erickson tournaments out of the equation, and it's clear that the Williams sisters, Ivanovic, Dankovic, and Safina don't stir up as much interest as Nadal, Roddick, Murray, and Federer.

So, no, they don't "deserve" equal prize money if we're going by ticket sales, TV deals, or any sort of revenue based determination. But really, women have been screwed in terms of money for so long that I don't care if they get equal pay. Not at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > tennis- equal prize money for mens and womens