Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to explain love without mentioning how it makes you fe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Randominternetguy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is it possible to explain love without mentioning how it makes you feel?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Most people describe love or being in love in terms of how it makes them feel. I don't know how to describe it but I know when I'm in it ... that kind of thing. Love is also characterized as wanting to do whatever for the one you love. In other words, it's about what I do and what I feel and about receiving that in return. It got me to thinking ...

Ala Carrie Bradshaw, Is it possible to explain love without mentioning how it makes you feel?

--Bob
 nipoleon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is it possible to explain love without mentioning how it makes you feel?
Posted: 1/30/2007 10:10:27 AM
Ok
Love, is when it's 2AM, and you realize that you've spent all day with the person your lying next to, and didn't notice that until just now.
 sadie61186
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/30/2007 11:11:58 AM
There is a time, a time for love.
Love comes, but can be over in a moment.
But remembered, remembered always,
So take the chance, once past these
moments can never be regained,
Life moves on;
Love, Love you all demanding, all consuming,
all destroying.
With passions that delight the body but
devour the mind, put thoughts in confusion;
make right and wrong indefinable.
Love, love makes the rules;
Love is cruel, selfish, blind heedless
of consequence.
For if just one face can fill your mind,
one smile, one look across the room,
elate your every sense, then this is love;
perhaps unattainable to touch, but
without words or terms, you are as one:
Love is life, without it there is nothing.
But if this face can bring torment, anger, pain!
Can this also be love?
"the question is irrelevant, the answer in
the heart, for indiscretions, faults, are
overlooked; in love the eyes are closed and
see only what they wish."
Love is many emotions:
But if when you met this face, this face
who's lips arouse, who's hands caress, who's
body fulfils: your senses reel, all is past,
time stands still: then this, this is love.
Love may remain, or grow cold, but "tis
better to have loved and lost, than to
have never loved"

I hope you enjoy this poem as much as i did x
 mrwhatever2u
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/30/2007 11:26:07 AM
The one you love always comes first and Giving without never wanting anything back.
Geez , my alter personality said that
 Love~Monkey
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/31/2007 4:12:03 PM
i dont think anyone can explain love without mentioning how it makes u feel. love is a emotion, u feel it, right? so no, i dont think u can. dont try..just go with it. its the best feeling in the world.......
 Mustang065
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/31/2007 4:23:23 PM

i dont think anyone can explain love without mentioning how it makes u feel. love is a emotion,

I think that love is better defined as a set of emotions which combined make you goofy as h e l l. I'm sure that there are some common emotional threads with love, but I am not as sure that two or more people feel the same emotional threads. People usually define love based on a personal frame of reference. I have read that it is a learned behavior. As far as anyone knows, humans are the only species in the animal kingdom that feels loves, besides man's best friend. But what dogs feel is probably not love in the sense that we know it. Love stirs different types of emotional behavior. You have family love, friend love, relationship love, and I suppose a few other types. As LM states above, it certainly involves emotions, and therefore emotions must be included in anyones explanation or definition.
 calaf
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/31/2007 5:18:12 PM
Love is like a bad case of athlete's foot that grows all over your body.
 johnglc
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/31/2007 6:06:31 PM
I think it might be explained but like evertything else....... if you've never experienced love,I think it's going to be hard to explain it.
 dumbarton_lad
Msg: 9
Love is...
Posted: 1/31/2007 6:17:34 PM
Love, like all emotions, can be explained in terms of biology and sociology.

Mammals, particularly small and vulnerable ones with many predators, have a biological tendency towards rapid and repeated mating. Most mammals that have fewer predators breed comparatively slowly and have the time necessary to form complex social bonds. Those that do breed more rapidly have strong social structures which regulate breeding and help ensure the continuation of 'preferred' genetic material.

Humans, being 'top of the food chain', have taken this to the next level. Although many people enjoy frequent sexual encounters, we as people do not mate at every given opportunity with a view to creating offspring. Instead, most of us choose to pursue and form a family with those we consider our ideal partner, ie. the most compatible mate with the most desirable genes.

The typical emotional effects of being 'in love' could be described as having a positive effect on maintaining partnerships and family bonds, thus ensuring continued opportunities for mating and production/protection of offspring. Examples include; admiration ("I would do anything for her"), dependency ("I could not live without her"), a strong sense of companionship ("There's no-one else I'd rather be with"), a desire to protect and provide ("I would die for her"), overwhelming desire ("Every time she walks in a room, I fall in love all over again"), etc.

Love, like fear, is a strong emotion geared towards ensuring the continued survival of our species as our society evolves further away from our ancestral roots, much as the emotion of fear provides a 'fight or flight' stimulus necessary for managing danger. Nowadays fear is a toothless tiger, and we actively seek it out for the excitement it brings. Imagine how bizzare this behaviour would seem to our primitive ancestors,a nd it shows how far we have developed.

Although this is a fairly dry summary of what most of us consider to be something magical and amazing, and probably not what the OP had in mind, it's always interesting when one boils things down to a biological level. It helps explain a lot of otherwise mystifying and seemingly irrational behaviour.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2007 6:51:06 PM
Maybe a better question is why would you want to?

It can crystalize what your ideal relationship is but we do not necessarily fall in love with those that are ideal for us.

The emotions, the butterflies, the pain in your gutt, it's what makes the insanity worthwhile.
 jefcoat
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2007 7:27:00 PM
this is my opinion. Love is not an emotion, it is a driving factor.
 Thinkrealhard
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/31/2007 7:58:37 PM
Love is like someone that has to lived on a breathing machine their whole life until one day meets someone and they don't have to be on it no more, because the air is perfect. When its not perfect its do able toghter. Still way better than it was before with out them. Lose them and you don't care for a long time and welcome the machine again out of missing them.
Thats a odd way to say it I guess. Hey I tried.
Love is thinking of them with every breath you take good are bad.
 HEX_30
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/31/2007 8:41:46 PM
The heart starts pumping, temprature rises, respratory system is iratic, your mind races and drifts, cant eat, cant sleep, and u caught it from someone elce so its contagous.

"Love is a disseas"
 _fireflies_
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/1/2007 7:12:26 AM
it hard enough to describe LOVE by the way how you feel when your in love, what more if you describe it the other way around. Love is an emotion, our heart dictates it, even our brain can't tell us how we shld feel and respond..anatomically speaking, there is no sense, since its always the brain dictates everything what to do.. so how come, it can't tell the heart to love or hate somebody.we even defide the brain when it come to love....even until now no one ever explain anatomically or physiologically on how love happens.. it just happens, the feeling is indescribable but it felt so good. the most wonderful feeling one can ever experience.its just logical & accurate to explain it by the way you feel because it how it shld be.
now i can feel that valentines day is really coming.. seeing threads like this...lol
 just_Kats
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/1/2007 7:30:54 AM
Ala Carrie Bradshaw, Is it possible to explain love without mentioning how it makes you feel?

It's absolutely possible.. in a hundred of ways..

'love is the music I write with the only purpose of you hearing it and knowing it is my love for you'

'love are the stars.. this place under the starry heaven I chose especially for you, because I know you love to watch them'

oh, there are many ways you can explain it without saying how it makes you feel... but.. the context will always be about feelings.. ;)
 Carrie Bradshaw™
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2007 7:36:52 AM

Love can certainly be described without advising how it makes us feel.

Love is accepting the little 'flaws' and quirks in each other.
Love is him saying that you look good even if you have the flu and you actually look horrible.
Love is when he travels hours on a plane just to see you for a night.
Love is watching hours of hours of WWE and then practicing The Swanton off the house
Love is when I will step outside in the cold to have a cigarette because he cannot stand the smell.
Love he when he brings me shoe shopping and will have a smile of his face even after being in the store for a long time.
That is love to me.

~Carrie
 Subotai
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/1/2007 7:38:58 AM
in many ways i think its pretty difficult to explain "love" in general...

Not becuase of your feelings...but simply that our language really isnt that great for explaining anything that doesnt fit into the "either or" category.

Sure we can use very beautiful words and images that will surely make someone think that "wow that sounds great!"...but really i dont think it actually "explains" anything.

We can "describe" the "feelings" we have to "describe" it...but that really doesnt "explain" it.

Sure we can also provide a bio-mechanical/chemistry version of what happens in your body while experiencing "love" but again its more of a description than an explanation.

Personally i think that is the "true" beauty of love...."is that it remains a mystery".

Trying to explain "love".. just "pushes" it further from our grasp....

"tis better to live and love in the mystery than to try and open the curtain and say A-HA!"
 packagedealx3
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2007 8:40:51 AM
There was a psychologist on one of the talk shows that said that when you are in love, at least for the first three months or something, there is a physiological change in your body that resembles psychosis. Now that is a motivator. Good thing that we make life decisions when we are temperarily insane.
 fab.mom
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/1/2007 9:42:57 PM
I think it is possible to explain love without mentioning anything about feelings.

Years ago I read a simple phrase that has stuck in my head.......

Love is a verb.

Deceptively simple....but oh so true. Reread the descriptions above and think about your own experiences with love and it is often the things that you DO, your ACTIONS that define loving someone..............just a thought
 dano1966
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/1/2007 10:29:11 PM
Sure it is.......
Love is the mutual actions that bring forth the feelings, like the love note, the teddy bear, the flower....... And the undiscussed one ( silent bonding )..........
The non feeling part of it is the part when you giveth and the feeling part is when she giveth.

Try this one..... Stand naked face to face, no touching, just study each other, walk around her and she around you....... Then put your clothes back on and go for a walk or go to a movie, discuss how what happened made you feel and what might be your dream evening...
For an added sensation try holding hands in this way...... with only your fingertips touching.
Face to face and 10 fingers on 10 fingers, see if you can avoid sex, if sex happens then see who started it..... Talk about it.....
 Harry Peter
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/1/2007 10:51:30 PM
Yes, though it might seem rather plain. You can describe love as an energy or feeling. Or God. One might describe it as a healing energy of God that you can feel. If mentioning "feel" in a generic, impersonal sense is too close to what you aren't wanting in terms of description, chop that part off:) Lofty and/or sappy, yes, but just an example.
 Harry Peter
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/1/2007 10:59:43 PM

Ok
Love, is when it's 2AM, and you realize that you've spent all day with the person your lying next to, and didn't notice that until just now.

Love must equate stewpit. I am the poster man of love.
 crazylilting
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/1/2007 11:41:13 PM
*thinks for a second*

a second more...Can you feel without Love? many are with people that they don't love but say they care about ect... And they feel deeply... So I would say that Love is not this...

Love is the simple action of opening your heart, it intensifies everything so its easy to equate Love with a feeling... The very act of opening your heart is like turning the flood gate on. The quality of everything changes, and changes everything you do into something meaningful. And the things that aren't meaningful will fall away. To make room for true meaning to shine in all you do.

Love is what true congruency is. For our true nature is Love and its full expression in the world. To the extent you can open your heart without holding on to what falls away will determine just how congruent you are with your true nature.

crazylilting
 rune3
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/2/2007 1:44:15 AM
Can you explain the oxygen in the air without saying what its effects are on things?
Can you explain anything you perceive without reference to feeling or belief?

I've believed for a long time that love is everywhere, that it's easy to love people, anyone at all, just because they are human and humans are loveable -- they are loveable even when their company is hard to tolerate or their behaviour is destructive, because you can look past that and understand reasons for it, even if you can't and shouldn't tolerate the results.

When all the rubbish is removed: the behaviours and incongruencies caused by the pain, wrong beliefs and fear people are reacting to, then I think that what remains is love. As crazylilting says: love is our true nature. Love is what we all are at heart, I believe, when the suffering and fear are gone. It's the positive instinct that inspires and motivates all the creative acts we contribute to in our lifetime and it's what unites us with other human beings and makes us more than simply "I".

Love is the heart that keeps the blood flowing, the sunlight that warms the earth, the rain that keeps the green things growing and the music that inspires us with hope on a grey afternoon. One can explain anything by analogy, pretending not to reference feelings, but love is simply the finest feeling and without our feelings we would not be alive, we would not be human, so asking for an explanation without reference to feelings makes little sense to me.
 tmotts
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/2/2007 2:42:46 AM
I am a very passionate person, passionate about everything I believe in that is.......It would be impossible to talk about love or even remember love without it triggering a deep feeling within me.

How would one describe love without mentioning how it makes you feel? Love is all about feelings. All your 5 senses are involved. You think of smells, sights, sounds and the way things feel, you even remember how things taste. Love is definately a powerful emotion, would be hard to seperate from that to explain it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to explain love without mentioning how it makes you feel?