Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Should you follow your head or your heart?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Scorpio1665
Msg: 1
Should you follow your head or your heart?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Unfortunately we are trained from a very young and impressionable age to follow our heads. Sometimes it just pays to go with your gut feeling.

What do you normally do? Do you follow your heart or your head when you need to decide on new choices in your life? Which do you think is better? Read below and see which category you fall under when it comes to making decisions.

What happens when you follow your head

1. prolonged thinking - thinking too much about a problem is sometimes counter-productive, it is so easy to avoid making a decision and this method can encourage indecision

2. delay - you may find that you can procrastinate in the pretence that you are working on a decision

3. weighing up every possibility, even those which may never happen - these possible outcomes may cause you to be negative and take the easy way out

4. possible confusion due to close balance between pros and cons

5. may reach a decision you don't feel is correct and then what

6. make many assumptions about what may happen if a certain course is taken

7. doesn't take into account your feelings - your feelings are important aren't they so what do you want to do

8. you look for the safest decision and avoid any risks - you are therefore limiting your rewards

9. you will always find reasons not to do something which seems too risky

10. you may justify giving up on dreams - the logical mind can be very negative and limiting, you can only achieve big by thinking big

What happens when you follow your heart

1. you know what you want and will commit yourself to getting it

2. you take into account your feelings and emotions

3. you can be true to yourself

4. you will feel good about your decision

5. you will believe in your decision

6. the limits your thinking may place on your dreams are removed

7. you are more likely to succeed

8. if you don't succeed you can take comfort from the fact that you tried

9. you will have more enthusiasm

10. it is good for your self esteem and confidence
 CITB
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Should you follow your head or your heart?
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:45:52 AM
Toucan Sam always said to follow your nose, so I am going with that.
 tbnamyjones
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:52:48 AM
Scorpio1665

That is something I have pondered over quite a few times this past 6 months or so...

Here is what I think... I live my life asking myself these questions:

If I do/don't do this will I regret it later?

Can I do/not do it and still be content with the results?

Can I move on and not wonder... What if? Or did I really give it my all?

If I have any doubt that I should try it, I do it.

This line of thinking has gotten me into some issues so it is not perfect, but I know now being able to look back I don't have any doubts about what I decided to do. And it made it eaiser for me to move on to other things in my life without having that nagging doubt.
 Rumpleteazer
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:00:22 AM
Hmmmm, I have a bit of a problem answering that, when all of the 'Logical' conclusions seem negative, and the 'Heart' conclusions seem so positive. I think that there are times when one may be the better way to make a decision and times when a mixture of both is needed. And it's important to remember, that sometimes, 'following your heart' is actually listening to your sub-conscious, which can be the most mis-leading source in anyone's life, depending on past situations.

Sherry
 Petey™
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:04:15 AM
Scorpio it seems you have started a very thought provoking thread..............

Can I get back to you with my answer................

And one other thing.............that's quite a handsome man in your current pic He does look familiar
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:11:08 AM
Your question is decidedly weighted in one direction... but I happen to agree :)

The heart has an intelligence all its own, but many don't follow its wisdom because they are afraid of being vulnerable and looking foolish...

Never realizing that that is how they will grow and find what it is that their heart, not their mind desires...

Awesome post!!
 Scorpio1665
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:15:48 AM
Sherry-I actually took those two lists off of a website that I was reading.

Playing devils advocate here...isn't your sub-concious part of your head, and if you are able to recognize that then isn't your decision actually being based using your head and not your heart? Past situations may stir the heart but I think it stirs our head even more, with both good/bad thoughts, points, reasons, rationalizations regarding that previous situation. As time goes on we are usually better able to look at a past situation more objectively so it would stand to reason that we would look at it more with our head than our heart.

I think that there are times when one may be the better way to make a decision and times when a mixture of both is needed.

I agree with this statement 100%. I know my greatest tendency is to follow my heart. At times the results have been not so good and others the results have been amazing.
 Jackie1954
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:19:26 AM
You've worded your lists from the slant that your heart (emotions/desires) is the only thing that matters and that any logical or intelligent thinking is counter-productive and stupid... this tells me that you have made up your mind about something and are looking for a way to validate your decision because your intelligence and emotions are in conflict.

The best way to decide something is a combination of the two.

If your "head" is not agreeing with your "heart", there is a reason for it. If you make decisions based purely on emotion/desires then you will have to live with the consequences of ignoring what your mind knows to be true (your intelligence).
 TheBigfut
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:24:48 AM
OK, so especially in the affairs of love, you gotta be true to yourself and still be true to your heart. This is a tight rope act that has been a battle all my life.

Only thing I can say is when it comes down to it only you know the right answer for yourself. Sometimes following the heart can be the hardest thing to do because of a path that previously led to pain and its terrifying for you to think that you can have that result again. After all some pain is avoided at all costs. Sometimes even when your heart says something is right you know in your head, for one reason or another, its not fair to you or the other person or its just an unhealthy situation.

So this is why I say that following the heart or head is not easy because not every decision lies just in one spot or the other. You might be comfortable in a situation that is not healthy for you for whatever reason. Or you might be in a situation for gain, that has no dedication by your heart in it- therefore you only end up using somene. And if we live by the true golden rule, treat others as we want treated- the last situation shouldn't happen.

Like I said, its all about personal accountability and answering to yourself and others about your decisions. Nobody else has a right to tell you what you did was right or wrong. They CAN tell you they would not have done it if it was them or that best they can tell they don't think what you did was right. But there is a side to every relation that nobody sees but those involved and til we are part of that side we can't emphatically say whats right or wrong.
 tj7
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:32:29 AM
following your heart..........enjoyable but yet painful at the same time - but ya gotta take chances and try not to keep the walls up for very long - can lead to criminal acts - lol

following your head..........sometimes lonely but realistic and pragmatic

I believe that you have to find a happy medium with both - that's the hardest part.
 Scorpio1665
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:33:20 AM
this tells me that you have made up your mind about something and are looking for a way to validate your decision because your intelligence and emotions are in conflict.

Actually this question came from some reading I was doing on a website. I found it and the lists above interesting. It just made me curious as to other peoples views on this subject.

I don't think that anybody makes a decision based solely on one or the other, however I do think that people have a tendency to make decisions based more from one place or the other.

The heart has an intelligence all its own, but many don't follow its wisdom because they are afraid of being vulnerable and looking foolish...

I completely agree with Sassy's statement. As does the article I was reading...it says that you can achieve what you want if you follow your heart and trust in yourself enough to risk following your dreams. Some people are so afraid of failing that they don't take the risk. All decisions come with risks whether made with your head or your heart.

Petey~handsome--what will tomorrow bring?
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:35:29 AM
Following your heart does not imply that you are no longer using your mind... IMO it is simply a different part of it..

Following your feelings with the added insight and wisdom of your soul overrides the logical part of your brain... it is a shift in perception which entails trust and faith... concepts completely foreign to the rational mind and the limitations ordinarily imposed therein...

This shift leads to synchrony of mind and heart... balanced by soulfulness.. JMO.
 Petey™
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:40:09 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jackie, Scorpio ? Is there gunna be a test later?????? I'm so cornfused...........................

Tomorrow ? Dunno @ you but I CAN'T WAIT TIL TOMORROW lmao
 ColsOh1
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:18:00 PM
I agree with Jackie ..... Msg 8

I'm not sure how to word what I want to say .....

So this time I will bow down to Jackie's wisdom.
 gilkerns
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:37:15 PM
Someone once said that the longest distance between any two points is from one's head to one's heart. Spanning that distance is a universe that is far beyond my cognitive comprehension. Maybe that is why we have a sort of cognitive dissonance when it comes both working together. Intuition helps me to transcend that conflict, as well as, meditation at times. Not an answer but a comment.
 MIKEYOHIO
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:56:59 PM
In reading the list, it is obvious that it is not a valid scientific study since both categories are slanted toward specific biases. "Thinking with your head" is written in negative connotation thus implying that anyone who does give consideration to their thoughts is incapable of a full range of emotions and that the process of thinking is less significant than flying by the seat of your pants.

The other category implies that to give thought or consideration to an idea is superior but does not acknowledge possible consequences or even logical thought by normal societal standards.

Bottom line: I agree with Jackie.
 Scorpio1665
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/3/2007 3:06:54 PM
Let me give an example of what came to mind when I was reading this.

Has anyone seen the movie "Pursuit of Happyness" starring Will Smith. The story is based on a real person who actually pursued his dream, something he knew inside of himself that he could do. He made great sacrifices, lost almost everything, went through really bad times, but in the end he achieved what he was pursuing. He did think about what he would have to sacrifice to get what he wanted but in the end he believed enough in himself to follow his heart and his dreams, and it paid off for him in the end. (sorry if some of you haven't seen it )

Based on the list-his head could fall under #8 and 10
his heart could fall under #1, 3, 5, 7 and 8

If your "head" is not agreeing with your "heart", there is a reason for it. If you make decisions based purely on emotion/desires then you will have to live with the consequences of ignoring what your mind knows to be true (your intelligence).

I think this is a perfect example of you head not agreeing with your heart, and yet he followed what he believed in his heart instead of listening to his head and all the reasons he shouldn't/couldn't do it. I agree it's a combination of the two, however sometimes you take a risk and follow your heart and achieve great results.

I am not disagreeing with what Jackie said, I am just looking at it from different angles.
 Rumpleteazer
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/3/2007 4:40:00 PM

Playing devils advocate here...isn't your sub-concious part of your head, and if you are able to recognize that then isn't your decision actually being based using your head and not your heart?

Following your heart does not imply that you are no longer using your mind... IMO it is simply a different part of it..

This is very true, sassy and proves what I have said. The 'heart' that we talk about using really doesn't come from the actual organ, the heart, it all comes from the brain, although different parts. Emotions and actions are both influenced by the sub-conscious, which in some cases will lead you to safety (I've seen that situation before and it was bad-RUN!) and in some cases to disaster (he's got the same issues my father had, maybe I can work it out with him as a substitute). So, again, I have to say, decisions are an accumulation of a lifetime of experiences, knowledge and feelings. To say that you will make most major ones with any one side of it all is kind of silly.

Sherry
P.S. Dana, you are right, Jackie always finds the best way to say things, that everyone understands, lol.
 sleprok
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/3/2007 8:27:36 PM
i have found that following the heart may not only end up hurting you but others along the way
not to say that it's wrong but using your head and thinking about things
may very well not only be the thing to do but the right thing
its like my favorite words from a song
you can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you might
find you get what you need.
 kasie
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/3/2007 8:30:10 PM
Hey Rosie..trying to tell me something honey...lol
 sleprok
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/3/2007 8:35:27 PM
no it wasn't in my thoughts untill..........................NOW might TAKE IT IN THOUGHT
........ ...........
wonder when there going to relize christmas is over
 gilkerns
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/4/2007 3:09:55 AM
Either one beats chasing one's tail.
 FKA ~dsl4340~
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/4/2007 11:28:26 AM
Our heads, hearts and guts never seem to have an equal balance when it comes to life and what we should do.

Life gives no guarantees so I'd have to say:

do what makes you happy...

live life to its fullest...

enjoy what has been put before you....
 Neysha61
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 11:41:34 AM
I wanted to kiss someone sooooooooooooooooo badly once and didn't.
Followed the noggin'. He said he understood.
Maybe someday ..... wonder how his dance lessons are going?
 Dreamsalot
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 12:13:49 PM
around totally confused!!
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Should you follow your head or your heart?