Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Utah  > Define dating vs hanging out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nice_Guy_35
Msg: 1
Define dating vs hanging out?Page 1 of 1    
It seems to me that this dating is not what it used to be 15-20 year years ago. My question is what is the difference between dating and hanging out? I have always thought that no matter what the situation is when two people get together even to meet up someplace or be picked up and go somewhere thats considered a date. Especially if its a guy and gal going to dinner and a movie, or just to go have coffee or ice cream, its still a date. However how did dating get replaced with hanging out? To me Hanging out is still the same as a date.
 Quist
Msg: 2
Define dating vs hanging out?
Posted: 2/20/2007 9:15:17 AM
Good question ... LOL

To me .... A date is the two of you are together alone. (movie, dinner, dancing) as a "couple"
Hanging out ...... Means she brings her car you bring your's she sees
good looking guy she wants to know, she's gone .... dito for you.
No strings.

Maybe I'm old but that my read on it.

Quist
 Coastergal
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 9:43:30 AM
Awesome question!!!!

I can't waite to see the answers!!!!!
 867love
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/22/2007 5:14:05 PM
"Dating" means you want to spend a little money on her -maybe a fun activity or treating her to dinner at a restaurant. "hanging out" or "friends" is a euphemism for casual sex (f-buddy)
 Guy4Friends
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/26/2007 8:16:09 PM
I really disagree with the above poster.

In my opinion, "hanging out" means exactly that -- hang out with a person platonically. This means you pay our way, they pay their way, you either meet or go together that does not matter. There is no kissing or physical stuff. It is not necessarily long-term though.

"Friends" is exactly that. It is "hanging out" that you hope turns into something more meaningful and long-term, which is the "Friends" part. A lot of people also put hanging out when they are looking to meet "Friends" but would also be into the possibility of it turning into something even more serious -- "Long-term"
 tahoejoe
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/10/2007 3:58:47 AM
Took a lady to a nice restaurant,one time.She looked at me,very nicely,and stated,better zip up,before you hang out.
 Nice_Guy_35
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/8/2007 4:06:44 PM
No one has yet stated anything that makes the 2 terms different.

Dating - 1) activity of going on dates: the activity of going out regularly with somebody as a social or romantic partner.

Hang out - 1) spend time somewhere: to spend time somewhere in a casual or relaxed way (informal).
2) associate: to spend time regularly with somebody.
or
1) place frequently visited by somebody: a place frequented by a particular person or group of people, especially for relaxation.

It just seems to me that Dating vs. Hang out just remains pretty much the same according to the their true meaning from the dictionary. So far no one seems to make a different agrument. From those that have posted hanging out is still a date.
 moonbeam01
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/11/2007 3:36:11 PM
I thought Hang out meant going out with your mates, having a laugh but nothing more.

On here Hang out is considered by some as meaning will you hang out with me?

Meaning this is asking for a one to one relationship, which may be interpreted by some as not entirely unsexual

So a girls gotta look after herself and unfortunately ticked that box too. lol

Have to get updated with this new chat lingo.
 dengla4
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/12/2007 11:51:44 AM
Thank you! Its a great question.... however; I have no idea what the answer could be. At least not in the this-day & age. I just figured hanging out is what i do with my friends....... & if i am meeting a guy somewhere that would be a date.
 hardpromises
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2007 4:55:17 AM
my definitions:

dating:-> spending time together with the implicit intention of discovering whether the relationship has the potential to be a romantic/physical/close one, or under the working assumption that the relationship is heading/nearly/already there

hanging out:-> spending time together with the explicit intention of not assuming anything about where the relationship might go, i.e. don't assume there is any ulterior goal on the part of your partner.

If you discover you are inclined towards changing from hanging out to dating, or vice versa, that's another kettle of fish!
 A New Adventure
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/5/2007 11:08:06 AM
"hang out" is a term used as "dating" put's pressure on the other person, however if your just hanging out you get to know the REAL person and not some shitty game face that will evaporate after you know eachother awhile. The dating frame sucks, it puts the man in a position of weakness. **** that I wan't equal terms and hang out is how you accomplish that.
 Engage-me
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/30/2007 11:15:19 PM
Whew! What a lot of verbiage to say nothing, people! Hanging out is gender neutral. You can hang out with anyone, and it assumes some mutual interest other than romance and or sex. Dating implies something a bit more intense on the romance/sex meter.
 greeneyedguy07
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2007 12:26:05 PM
I consider hanging out with a person of the opposite sex that you're interested/attracted to as psuedodating. It has all the qualifiers as a date, but without the expectations.

Dating is more of a specific agreement between the two parties that there is mutual interest (in each other, not the activity)and they want to see if this interest continues when they get to know each other better.
 simtard
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/24/2007 2:09:57 PM
Me too.I don't get the difference when I meet a guy for ,say coffee ,I am still trying to figure out if I want to meet with him again or if I hope he forgets he met me.So even if we're just seeing if we want to "hang out" or date it's the same.
 AprilMaeBaby
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2008 3:20:40 PM

I consider hanging out with a person of the opposite sex that you're interested/attracted to as psuedodating. It has all the qualifiers as a date, but without the expectations.

Dating is more of a specific agreement between the two parties that there is mutual interest (in each other, not the activity)and they want to see if this interest continues when they get to know each other better.

I totally agree with the above statement.
 DatManWolf
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/12/2008 7:08:20 PM
a date is 2 people getting to know each other in order to decide if they want to pursue a relationship.

hanging out is people getting together with the intention to have fun. it usually involves more then 2 people and gender has nothing to do with it. it's watching the game, playing poker, hitting a bar. socializing at its simplest
 tchrkt
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:22:50 PM
Dating is 2 people who go out that like each other more than platonically. Hang-out as far as I am concerned, is between friends. If you want to go on a date with a person, say the word "date" not "hang out".
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/14/2009 11:49:52 PM
Dating is direct and formal, and no bones about it, it's two people romantically inclined, going out somewhere together.
Hanging out is a general term, and can imply three different things:
(a) something platonic (two with no mutual sexual tension, attraction, or implications)
(b) non-platonic, but not a date (friends but not 'just friends' hanging out)
(c) just another word for a more casual, informal date

People define situations as "hanging out", especially when it comes to meeting someone for the first or second time, because it doesn't define things as a (gasp) "date". There's no pressure or expectations. It's not a big deal.

It has multiple meanings and is vague. It's used to avoid the potential emotional roller coaster than many people have with "going out on a date", rather than "hanging out".

Usually refers to just getting to know someone, rather than mutually enjoying a great outing in and of itself.

It has its negatives and positives. Positive is that the atmosphere it creates, allows people to meet rather swiftly and more in an amount of time, because it's not as big of a deal. Negative is the potential confusion, because it's a word that can mean a ton of things. Some girls will "hang out", and apply what kind of "hanging out" it is, depending on how interested develops.

Welcome to the 21st century. :)
 NewInEdmonton14
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/21/2013 7:15:04 AM
So it seems to me that nobody is really agree on the definition, which makes the choice of what you put in your profile pretty tricky...
Like a guy who think that Hang out is somehow related to friends with benefit, casual... would encounter some trouble with a girl who put the same thinking just about friends :D
Why not calling a cat a cat :D
Show ALL Forums  > Utah  > Define dating vs hanging out?